Mayo fail

JD12377

If my mayo isn't creamy... N tastes odd.. How can I correct this? Used 1 egg, dry mustard, olive oil, lemon juice and salt.. Only thing I can think of is my blender on slow speed is too fast and the oil drizzle was not slow enough.. But the taste also? How do I salvage this mayo?

Check your bottle of olive oil. If it doesn't say "Extra light tasting olive oil" on it, it's going to taste like strong olive oil. The emulsion needs to start with a small amount of oil and then incorporate the oil at a rate that maintains the emulsion to a pudding-like consistency. Too much at once and you will end up with a runny mix suitable for ranch dressing.

If you can't get it right with a regular blender, consider getting a cheap immersion blender. Those seem to have a higher rate of success overall. The key is to use a container that fits tightly to the blender so there isn't so much oil at the bottom when the emulsion is starting to form.

Thanks bunches. Yeah it's not extra light. I will be sure to pick that up later. Also does the taste different whether I use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice? I definitely am getting an immersion blender!! I made egg salad with my mayo fail so all good with salvaging.

The first time I made the mayo, I used my blender and the consistency was perfect, but it was SO messy! The mayo was shooting out of the space where I was having to pour the olive oil in... Last time I used the food processor, while the consistency was still pretty good, it was less messy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived