Struggling with my job as a baker on the whole30

ElleBean

I'm on day 11 of the whole30 and while I do feel pretty good and don't want to give up,. I find myself having a hard time with my job as a baker. 

How the hell can I make something without taste testing it?? I have to make a dessert for 26 people tonight and I'm scared to do it because its always been important to taste what I make. It doesn't mean eating an entire cupcake but I need to know if the buttercream tastes good or not. I can usually rely on my family as a second opinion but they aren't foodies so most things taste pretty good to them. 

I'm torn between wanting to allow myself to taste test (in a way that wouldn't be enough to add lbs) and keep with the principles of the whole30 for a lifestyle change, or just sticking with the program all the way through. 

I can see myself eating like this for a long time, while allowing cheats on occasion, so do I really have to finish the program to be successful or will following the whole30 99% of the time be enough?

I've lost 4lbs already which is great because I've gotten past my weight loss plateu and at 148 lbs and 5'6 it's not exactly life or death obesity. 

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice or guidance from the whole9 community. What should be more important right now...health (very important obviously), or my reputation as a Paris trained baker and the high expectations that come with that?

I am a baker, however, for hobby and not professionally.  While doing whole30s, I had to rely on tried and true recipes in which I was confident of the outcome.  Is it possible for you to do the same and continue on your whole30?

While I am not the whole30 police, put the scale down and back away.  Weighing yourself is not a part of the program.

I would struggle with this, too, not just for 30 days but as a career choice. How do I make and serve food for others that I don't even want to put into my own mouth for health reasons? It's been easy for me to give up cookie and cupcake decoration, because that was just a hobby for me. If it were my career? I'd be taste testing, and then aiming to shift my profession until it became compatible with my own beliefs about health and nutrition. 

If you want to do a Whole30, then you need to do it 100%: no taste-testing off-plan foods of any kind.  We had a professional baker on here a couple months ago who taste-tested and spit it out while on her Whole30: not sure if you want to go there.

If you decide you cannot forego taste-testing (and consuming) baked goods at work, then what you're doing isn't a Whole30. Call it whatever you want, and your results may not be the optimal and reintroductions will be unclear.

Maybe revisit why you wanted to do a Whole30 in the first place and see if those reasons are still relevant for you? 

And yes, hide the scale until you're done.  :)

I may be the one person saying otherwise, but I don't think you should get yourself fired over a Whole30. If you think that tasting your food is a need, not just something you think would be nice, then I think you should do it.

HOWEVER, you will need to be very mindful about it. Only tasting if/when you need to, and be careful not to use it to prop up your sugar dragon. 

It may not be called a "Whole30" but you can still have results. Due to my circumstances right now, I had to allow potatoes on my Whole-ish14. I still had results, although they might have been slightly better if I hadn't. Oh well. It's life sometimes.

Archived