Cheeburger, Cheeburger

MrsStick

I went to Cheeburger, Cheeburger last night and was very impressed. You could eat there on a W30! The one questionable thing about all of their food is that they use peanut oil, but it has been refined so much that it doesn't have any peanut protein in it and technically doesn't have to be labelled as an allergen. The sauces aren't compliant (the closest one is the Zesty Horseradish sauce, which does have soybean oil and HFCS), but you don't have to get them.

I ordered my burger with no bun, and there's a huge list of stuff you can put on it. I had a grilled portobello mushroom, pickles, and sauerkraut. There are sauteed mushrooms/onions/peppers, fresh veggies, etc. I was really impressed. The best part? Their sweet potato fries are just a sweet potato cut up and fried. Nothing added (they try to convince you to add cinnamon sugar, but I looked at the lady like she had two heads). They also push their marshmallow sauce, but their savory sauces (again, not on a W30) were amazing on them (I had garden veggie and zesty, I think). Hubby and I split a medium SP fry plus our two burgers and were full. Oh, and we each tried one fry with the marshmallow sauce and laughed at how awful it was. Then we proceeded to use all of the other two sauces. Oh, and the fries were crispy. *SWOON*

You also don't have to get a burger. You can make a salad however you want too. Again, the dressings usually have something we can't have ON a W30, but you can always bring your own (let's face it, we're used to that!). 

So, even though the sauces are noncompliant, you have choices there. Yay!

It sounds like you found a choice that works for you post-whole30, which is great, but DURING a whole30 the peanut oil actually does make this non-compliant, even if the resturant says that it is free of allergens...and soy and HFCS are definitely not on plan (not even close  :) )

sorry to burst the bubble.

Obviously it's not the best, but if there's nothing in the oil that someone deathly allergic to peanuts would react to, why wouldn't it be lumped in with the rest of veggie oils as in not ideal but allowed sometimes?

I said the sauces were out due to the additives, but if someone who should go into anaphylactic shock wouldn't with their oil...it seems like the ghee of veggie oils (not great like ghee is, but allowable even if it's from a non-allowable source (i.e. ghee = dairy)).

• Moderators

The reason refined peanut oil is out during a Whole30 is because peanut oil is squeezed out of peanuts and peanuts are not allowed. No one is given discretion to make a judgement between refined versus ordinary peanut oil. You may hear a variety of authorities telling you that their product is special, that it is truly healthy, etc. Nothing they say matters during a Whole30. It is the Hartwig way or you are not participating in the same program as everyone else. 

The Whole30 is a very special approach to eating that lasts 30 days. It is not a convenient approach for most people, but it works. If you alter the menu, you may not get the excellent results that people who do the program as designed get and, sadly, you would not be doing a Whole30. 

Archived