Whole 30 - Day one on July 21st, 2012

rshows

I'm tackling the Whole30 program starting today after a lifetime of struggling with sugar cravings, mood swings, and eating disorders. I'm nervous about cutting sugar and carbs out of my diet and how I will be able to cope with stress of work, school, training for a marathon, etc. However, I know that as a 30 year old woman I need to buckle down and achieve the goal of freedom from sugar addiction. This is my first step in the right direction!

Actually I think you will find that cutting out sugars and carbs is not that hard after you get through the first few days. Maybe the first 3-7 days are the worst! :) I've cut these out before and don't even think about them after a while. But not saying the first section isn't a bit of a hurdle! Stick to your guns!

Also, from personal experience, a "rehydration salt" drink (it should be a mix of salt, and sugar) is great for long runs-- no headaches afterward. I used to use the rehydration salts that I kept around for travel when I got the dreaded montezuma's revenge... I'd just put a packet of it in my water in my camel back and take off. You might be able to do something similar on your own, or if that didn't matter to you, I think that it was not quite paleo.

Anyway, enough of the marathon tips. :)

I'm tackling the Whole30 program starting today after a lifetime of struggling with sugar cravings, mood swings, and eating disorders. I'm nervous about cutting sugar and carbs out of my diet and how I will be able to cope with stress of work, school, training for a marathon, etc. However, I know that as a 30 year old woman I need to buckle down and achieve the goal of freedom from sugar addiction. This is my first step in the right direction!

Good for you! You can totally do it. I was the biggest sugar addict ever (Mt. Dew and Reeses peanut butter cups my drug-of-choice!), and I am on Day 6 today. Cravings happen, but the Whole30 takes away every excuse or justification. The answer is just "no", and you move on. I do agree with what someone else said - the cravings do diminish a little every day until one day you realize you don't miss the sweets so much. Paleo food is delicious, so it's easy to want to keep eating it. Good luck and keep us posted!

It's Day 3 for me today, I totally agree that the craving for sweets will decrease over time. I crave sugar when I am stressed out, now I use breathing, reading, sprinting, talking to friends and family, and meditation to manage my stress level. As long as my stress level remains low, I don't crave sugar nearly as much. ;)

It's the close of Day 8 for me, and it was a bit tough: I tried to do a marathon training run, but just couldn't get myself to go farther than a mile; then I struggled through a 10-mile bike ride. Ugh. But, as I posted elsewhere on here today, I (and others who are currently going through them) shouldn't get hung up on the sucky feelings -- they're only for today (I hope), and they'll eventually pass.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! My long run was rough last week so I'm preparing to fuel better for Sunday. I ended up with a 900 calorie deficit because I ran out of time to eat enough that day. It's more challenging to get in calories when I'm not eating bread or pasta.

My next big challenge: my 6 yr anniversary is on Sunday. My husband wants to take me out to dinner. No clue what to do.

Congrats rshows! I've been married for 3 and a half years, it is getting better as we go through seasons together.

Maybe you guys can go to a Brazilian BBQ place? There should be a salad bar, you can use no dressing(soy bean oil and sugar). And they usually grill the meat all by itself(you can call and double check if there's any sauce or bad oil on the meat).

Happy anniversary! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing the reintroduction plan described by the Hartwigs. I think it goes like this:

Day 1, Reintroduction 1: small, isolated amounts of dairy throughout the day, everything else compliant (it was a cup of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia for me)

Day, 2: W30

Day 3: W30

Day 4, Reintroduction 2: non-gluten-containing grain, e.g., black beans, peanut butter, lentils

Day 6: W30

Day 7: W30

Day 8, Reintroduction 3: gluten-containing grains, e.g., white bread

Day 9: W30

Day 10: W30, etc.

Then it's up to you to decide whether and/or how much you want to stay compliant.

Archived