Too much squash?

cayenne

Nope, the Whole30 does not say anything about carb restriction.

Different people need different amounts of carbs, so do what feels best for you

What Andria said. Eat as much squash as you like. Do make sure it is in the context of "template" meals, though: I assume you are not eating squash ALONE for breakfast, but instead pairing it with a palm or two of protein, and a thumb or two of fat...and make sure you include a variety of vegetables (in addition to squash) throughout the day.

I have fallen in love with all things squash-great to have cubed butternut or acorn for breakfast. I know they are  higher carb. Do I need to watch the amount like nuts, fruit?

I ate so much squash last winter that I turned orange.  The palms and even a tinge in my face.  Someone asked me if I had been on vacation somewhere warm.  haha

I make the mistake of making squash my primary item on the plate.  I will eat a ½ large squash and load the middle with ghee/coconut oil spices and almonds but no real protein.  I need to stop that…

I ate so much squash last winter that I turned orange.  The palms and even a tinge in my face.  Someone asked me if I had been on vacation somewhere warm.  haha

I make the mistake of making squash my primary item on the plate.  I will eat a ½ large squash and load the middle with ghee/coconut oil spices and almonds but no real protein.  I need to stop that…

This happened to me too!! My mom saw me after not seeing me for 8 months and she wondered why my palms and soles of my feet are orangey. After doing some googling, I figured it must be from all the broccoli, sweet potato and pumpkin I'm eating. I'm okay with it though, as it's not dangerous :)

This happened to me too!! My mom saw me after not seeing me for 8 months and she wondered why my palms and soles of my feet are orangey. After doing some googling, I figured it must be from all the broccoli, sweet potato and pumpkin I'm eating. I'm okay with it though, as it's not dangerous :)

I did decide to look, and this is all I found:  so it looks like there is ONE study out there saying that too much beta carotene could inhibit our body's ability to process Vitamin A.  Some anti-A compounds in those same vegetables and fruits.  I am going to tone down my eating of winter squash because it upsets my stomach a bit, too.  It is also almost a binge food and I eat it in place of protein.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120501134414.htm

it looks like there is ONE study out there saying that too much beta carotene could inhibit our body's ability to process Vitamin A.  

I've written about this on the boards before, but for me, I learned that my orange palms were not from eating "too much" vitamin A containing foods, but a sign that my body was not metabolizing A properly. Getting my thyroid and iodine levels in order has solved this. I eat as much (or more) of these foods as I did before, but now I'm processing it better and my palms are a normal color.

I've written about this on the boards before, but for me, I learned that my orange palms were not from eating "too much" vitamin A containing foods, but a sign that my body was not metabolizing A properly. Getting my thyroid and iodine levels in order has solved this. I eat as much (or more) of these foods as I did before, but now I'm processing it better and my palms are a normal color.

Funny we should start talking about thyroid:  the edges of my eyebrows are thinning.  One more than the other, but a definite change.  I remember hearing that is an indicator of an under active thyroid.  Full thyroid panel is in order!  I'm due for an annual physical and mammogram anyway…

Thanks-I always add eggs and greens for breakfast. I know it will be seasonal and in the spring I will have another "favorite". I still have not found an eggplant recipe I like-ewww. Just about anything else is good stuff.

Look up The Clothes Make The Girl recipe index and try the Baba Ganoush... I know the name is kinda strange, but it's SO good! You won't even recognize the eggplant in this. It's super flavorful. I like dipping raw veggies in it (ESP Jicama!)

Funny we should start talking about thyroid:  the edges of my eyebrows are thinning.  One more than the other, but a definite change.  I remember hearing that is an indicator of an under active thyroid.  Full thyroid panel is in order!  I'm due for an annual physical and mammogram anyway…

Make sure they test your free T3 and reverse T3. A lot of doctors will only look at TSH.

Archived