On Day 12...I did an Ironman

goSonja

Ironman and Whole30 do go together. I had the race of my life today, on day 12 of Whole 30. My fuel during the race was not compliant, but before and after have been, as well as the entire lead up in the 11 days prior.

I had a breakthrough performance, was able to be the fastest amateur woman across the line, got a Kona slot, and had a personal best by 15 minutes (Went 9:35). A huge day for me! I'm over the moon thrilled. When I get some time I will post my thoughts here on how I think Whole30 helped. 

until then, let me say, this was a marriage made in heaven.

post-36635-0-22317900-1384761015_thumb.j

Pre food the morning of the race was hard boiled eggs and banana. That all went down really easy with a nervous tummy.

Post race was fruit in the after tent, and then Chipotle for "diner" (9pm). Chipotle was all the Whole30 approved choices. haha! Although I did guacamole bc I felt I needed the fat, and I'm not sure if Chipotle guacamole is Whole30...need to search!

Pre food the morning of the race was hard boiled eggs and banana. That all went down really easy with a nervous tummy.

Post race was fruit in the after tent, and then Chipotle for "diner" (9pm). Chipotle was all the Whole30 approved choices. haha! Although I did guacamole bc I felt I needed the fat, and I'm not sure if Chipotle guacamole is Whole30...need to search!

It "LOOKS" like the guacamole is fine, according to their website. This also helpful as far as soy goes... it even marks which items they use soybean oil in, which is "refined, and supposed better for you" and just regular soybean oil that is an allergen. Bummed the vinaigrette is a no-go though, it's SO tasty!

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/special_diet_information/special_diet_information.aspx

Sonja, what were you eating during training pre-Whole30?  During training and Whole30?  If you were eating grains prior to Whole30, did you keep your carb intake at around the same levels with Whole30 compliant foods?

Sorry for all the questions.  :)

Yes, I would second @dmh1138's questions. I did a 25K trail race this Saturday, a week into my whole30. Last week I thought I was eating enough carbs, but my legs just didn't feel good (and that was on a taper week) as compared to when I have raced "SADly." I know Whole30 makes me feel great but I just can't figure out how to keep my legs feeling fresh. My first Whole30 was this year in August and my legs felt like lead for the entire 30 days. As soon as I went off-road the fresh snappy feeling returned. I would love to know what you're doing, and congrats on such a great race!

Thanks for the Chipotle List. Sunflower oil in the carnitas...so that was non compliant. Soybeen oil in the veggies...non compliant. Guac, salsa and lettuce were compliant. I'm not going to sweat it...it's about as close as I can get eating out!

Okay, so my pre Whole30 diet was what I thought of as "healthy". But there were a lot of carbs. Tortillas, pasta, potatoes, smoothies. I love veggies so there were lots of those but I really relied on carbs for every day training energy. There was pizza once a week, and popcorn and ice cream as treats after big training days, small ones too sometimes. But the bulk of my food was sorta "typical healthy athlete food" I never bought into low fat products, or low calorie products, so none of that. I would say that the carbs in my diet before Whole30 were way more that they are during Whole30. But I think the KEY here is that I really focused on the last 72 hours. You can see in my food blog I was putting down the sweet potatoes like they were going out of style. I think you can train on less than full glycogen stores and get a big benefit from that (metabolic efficiency I believe they call it) but you need that glycogen for race day, hands down.

During training, my nutrition hasn't changed much. The only thing I quit was that I used to use a lot of rice cakes from the Feed Zone Cookbook. They are when you mix rice, eggs, bacon, aminos, brown sugar, make them into cakes, and then cut them into squares and take them in your pockets for your ride. I stopped those bc rice is not whole 30. I have bars that are very close to whole30, similar to a Lara bar, date based that I use in training and racing at the beginning of the bike. But there comes a time (about 3 hours into the bike) when sugar is what the body needs. So the last 5 hours of the Ironman were "chews", and energy drink. 

During training I always have energy drink in my bottles for anything over 90 minutes, water if under. I do a very light drink. But it is sugar, about 70 calories per bottle so close to coconut water (which I can't stand the taste of). It's not one of the majorly manufactured brands. It's a small shop brand. You can read my Whole30 blog for exact details. I don't want to endorse non Whole 30 products here, I know the moderators don't like that. 

So, in a nut shell, I had a solid, somewhat whole food based racing nutrition plan to start with and I stuck with it on race day, but my daily diet was completely different, and I did make sure to massively up sweet potatoes and dried fruit for 72 hours out. Thanks so much for all the questions, I'm really stoked!

OH!!!! I almost forgot.....RECOVERY! Not even comparable to my past Ironmans. I am as sore today as I would usually be on day 3 or 4 post Ironman. It's been insane in that department!

Thanks, Sonja.  I'll check out your blogs when I have a little more time.  I have been "training low and racing high" (regarding carb intake) for my half marathons since going over to paleo/primal/W30.  Teaching my body to run without a huge mass of glycogen, then loading up for the race so that both fat and sugar can be used.  So I completely understand packing away the sweet potatoes a few days before ;) 

emcd, I went throught the same thing when I cut back on carbs during training running.  It took about 10-15 days before my legs stopped feeling like they were made of lead.  It will get better.  Just push through it and make sure you get some starchy vegetables (and protein) after your runs.

thanks. I really struggled during my first Whole30 with my legs and attributed a lot of it to the humidity here in a typical Houston August, but this second round of W30 made me wonder if it was that I was too low in carbs. I love how I feel during the day eating W30 compliant (never sleepy at work, yay!) but just couldn't figure out how all these athletes made it work.

thanks. I really struggled during my first Whole30 with my legs and attributed a lot of it to the humidity here in a typical Houston August, but this second round of W30 made me wonder if it was that I was too low in carbs. I love how I feel during the day eating W30 compliant (never sleepy at work, yay!) but just couldn't figure out how all these athletes made it work.

Yes hun, sweet potatoes, and fruit, along side eggs, and meat and veggies. That's what I learned I had to do. And fat is your friend. 1/2 an avocado before a run can work wonders for me. If you up your sweet potatoes and you are still feeling this, comment again and we can try to find you more resources! You should b feeling like a rock star in your training!!

• Moderators

Ironman and Whole30 do go together. I had the race of my life today, on day 12 of Whole 30. My fuel during the race was not compliant, but before and after have been, as well as the entire lead up in the 11 days prior.

I had a breakthrough performance, was able to be the fastest amateur woman across the line, got a Kona slot, and had a personal best by 15 minutes (Went 9:35). A huge day for me! I'm over the moon thrilled. When I get some time I will post my thoughts here on how I think Whole30 helped. 

until then, let me say, this was a marriage made in heaven.

Holy heck! Sonja went Whole30?! Wow, that's great! Congrats on your great race at IMAZ!

Now to get our girl @thisamazingday on board ... :)

Holy heck! Sonja went Whole30?! Wow, that's great! Congrats on your great race at IMAZ!

Now to get our girl @thisamazingday on board ... :)

I totally did Whole30 THROUGH IMAZ and I had the race of my life!!!! Katie hasn't showed interest, but her mind is on Coz right now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived