Celiac with fibromyalgia seeking support

Hi there,

After several false starts (reset, reset, reset!) I'm starting the program today (well, I guess Day 1 will be tomorrow).

I have Celiac Disease, so I'm already gluten free. But I'm really struggling with giving up sugar and chocolate and chips -- I go to sugar and chocolate when I'm tired, which is often, and I realize I'm making the situation worse.

Beyond the weight gain, I want to try to reduce inflammation. I have fibromyalgia and a fair amount of pain and fatigue.

So, I'm just looking for buddies for support as we do this plan together.

Laura

I'm gluten free too (unknown whether celiac, can't complete a "gluten challenge").

I had a huge drop in inflammation from Whole30, it's well worth the effort :D

Sugar & chocolate (with sugar) are easier to give up cold turkey, little bits tend to poke the sugar dragon and wake him up :) But there are some Whole30 recipes with cacao/cocoa in them (not SWYPO).

You can have sweet potato fries during Whole30 and kale chips, so you don't need to be chip-less.

Hi, thanks. It's true -- I really need to get off the sugar. Because it does stay alive, even eating a lot of fruit. I should probably try to avoid fruit for the first week to get the craving out of my system. Dairy really worsens my sinuses, as well as sugar and probably grains. Rice is the easiest of the grains on my body, as well.

I don't do as well with higher starch/carbs, my blood sugar is easily spiked (and then crashes), so I tend to stick to berries (high in antioxidants, lower in sugar) for fruit (when I have it) and always have fats with fruit (always best in the meal template, but I particularly have fats with the fruit as I eat it). I sometimes mix passionfruit in with coconut butter if I can't get berries.

Dates are allowed on Whole30, but if you have a cranky sugar dragon, I'd avoid those until your sugar dragon is tamed.

Keeping a food diary was really helpful for me, especially if you're trying to track things like sinuses and sugar cravings, as you can see the rolling impacts of menu choices (example - for me, eating dates leads to sugar cravings and increase in appetite, followed by days of crazy blood sugar).

• 4 months later...

Looks like I have found "my people"!  I am gluten intolerant (and probably intolerant of most grains), have fibromyalgia, and suffer terrible sinus issues related to dairy.  I am on day 5 of my first Whole30 (my restart, actually, as I voluntarily paused after day 7 to entertain out-of-town guests and then started again from day 1).  I am glad to know that Whole30 can help eliminate some of these problems!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm another sufferer of fibromyalgia, gluten intolerance, sinus issues (plus the added fun of having depression and migraines to add to the mix).  :mellow:

I did a Whole60 last summer and got TREMENDOUS relief from my symptoms. I learned, through reintroduction, that dairy is the culprit for my sinus issues, while gluten is what triggers pain and inflammation in the rest of my body. I've been mostly gluten free since learning this, but the sugar dragon has crept back into my life. Thus, I'm starting another Whole30 on May 1. 

I'd love to stay connected with you good people! It'd be great to have a support network for the unique trials and tribulations we collectively face. Fibro, celiacs, etc. can be such isolating conditions. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my struggles to feel healthier and have a better quality of life. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I also have fibromyalgia, GERD, IBS, haydever, depression on and off and live a high stress life (3 kids with special needs and work as a midwife in an NHS hospital). I am on day 17 of my second whole 30. Doing well and already feeling much better. Always looking for more support from people who understand the difficulties.

• 5 months later...

Thought I restart this thread.  Today is Day 1 for me, of what I'm going to attempt to be a Whole 100.  why 100?  Because I feel like I'm a mess, and that it will take a long time to reverse some of my issues.  I, too, am gluten intolerant and have Fibromyalgia as well as Depression, Hypertension, Hypothyroid and Type II Diabetes.  I'm also around 70 or so lbs overweight.  I am doing this because, well, I can't stand my life anymore.  The pain and fatigue of Fibro is the worst, though.  It's making me more and more housebound, and I'm no longer having any of it.  I heard about Whole30 from a friend who has lost all of her symptoms and just ran her 3rd or 4th 5K.  

I went off Wheat and Corn awhile ago, and symptoms improved drastically.  Also cut out dairy (except for yogurt, kefir and aged cheese made from raw non-cow milk).  I felt really good, but not 100%  I kept off the Wheat/Gluten, but added back the occasional corn.  I *know* for a fact, that anything made with corn meal causes a flare-up and have long suspected that dairy is a big culprit too.  

Wish me luck.

How it's made is very important, some Kombucha is not compliant.
Sugar must not be added to the second ferment.

The first ferment eats the sugar.
There's a few threads on Whole30 Kombucha :) I buy mine, so not sure if there's any changes to the recipe, but loads of folks here will know the answer.

Archived