My first day -- not the best

redchickn

So I'm wrapping up my first day. I went shopping and got a lot of good food to eat. 

But I still have my bad habits. While I ate some yummy salmon-sweet potato cakes for breakfast, I think I ate too much as I still feel full and tired many hours later. I cooked the cakes in coconut oil, which I understand is good for you, but I think maybe it can be heavy and hard to digest. 

For lunch I had two Lara Bars. I know, this is bad. Sugar is my main problem, so I should probably not eat anything like a Lara Bar for a while. 

For dinner I had a salad. 

I feel full and tired but I think this may be a digestive hangover from food I ate two days ago, when I was binging. 

On to tomorrow! More veggies, and less oil, maybe, until my gut normalizes. 

Laura

Hi Laura

Do you have a copy of the meal template?

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Every single meal needs to include protein and fat in portions according to the template, along with 2-3 cups of vegies.

Lara bars should be emergency food only - and probably worth avoiding if you have an issue with sugar. A serving of fruit with a meal is fine, but don't use it to fill sugar cravings between meals.

So I'm wrapping up my first day. I went shopping and got a lot of good food to eat. 

But I still have my bad habits. While I ate some yummy salmon-sweet potato cakes for breakfast, I think I ate too much as I still feel full and tired many hours later. I cooked the cakes in coconut oil, which I understand is good for you, but I think maybe it can be heavy and hard to digest. 

For lunch I had two Lara Bars. I know, this is bad. Sugar is my main problem, so I should probably not eat anything like a Lara Bar for a while. 

For dinner I had a salad. 

I feel full and tired but I think this may be a digestive hangover from food I ate two days ago, when I was binging. 

On to tomorrow! More veggies, and less oil, maybe, until my gut normalizes. 

Laura

To me, it seems like you are dieting on this plan.  Your goal should not be to lose weight the first 30 days, but I understand the way you are starting off because it is SO ME.   ;)

Personally, have some precooked proteins in the fridge was very helpful.  Hardboiled eggs.  Chicken breast.  Beef stew.  Cabbage or spaghetti squash based stir fries.  Things that can be easily and quickly prepared but nutritious and filling.  Same with having precut raw veggies.  Forget the Lara bars for 30 days.  Not even in a pinch is how I need to operate.  Same with nuts, nut butters and dried fruits (roasted diced almonds are getting me these days).  They just set me off and make me feel like I have 'cheated' and I either react by continuing to cheat or restricting calories.  Both are dangerous paths.

I can also feel that GI hangover for several days.  Stomach grumbly.  Energy low.  A bit bloated.  Drink lots of fluids and celebrate the first day of Whole30 by planning out a better meal plan for Day Two!

Hi there, 

I just cheated with sugar and chocolate. I'm so pissed at myself. It was hard to start the diet already feeling crappy. I think I accidentally was contaminated with gluten a couple days ago before starting the diet (I have Celiac disease) and I've been constipated and tired and sore. So today, stressed out. I ate some chocolate cookies. 

So, back to the drawing board. I know I can do this, though. I know I can! 

If there anyone who would be willing to stay in touch with me for the next three days or so? Like Thursday through Saturday? I think if I eat no fruit or anything remotely sugary for three days, I should be a lot stronger and able to continue. 

I would appreciate it, and once I become a Whole30 vet, I would gladly return the favor to others on this site!

Laura

Take a deep breath.  This is not a major setback although it probably feels like one.  This is just a learning experience.

Try to set up a plan of attack when you feel stressed out this again - besides eleminating fruit.  FYI - if you make fruit a part of your meal rather than a separate one - it shouldn't awaken a sugar dragon. For example - Broccoli salad, with chicken, crisped up proscuito, almonds, grapes and homemade seasoned mayo - is amazing and filling.  You can also sub in apples in for the grapes if you want.

Now to tackle stress.  When you feel stressed / craving something you could

make a nice relaxing tea - favourites of mine are rooibos, and lately Calm tea from Tazo (no caffine)

go for a 5 min walk.

read a book

give yourself a manicure

call a friend

take a bubble bath

Bascially just DO something to take you mind off of it, and something that is somewhat rewarding to you at the same time.  Something that is not food related.  You can add more to this list if you want and post it on your fridge.

You're right, you can do this.  Stop beating yourself up about it.  take a deep breath and move forward.

It's okay! You can do this! I am on Day 8 right now, and I find that it's best to have a day devoted to cooking; I spent about 4 hours cooking on Sunday this past week, but now all my food is made for the week, so I can just come home right after work and heat stuff up on the stove.

I had a setback, too, right away. I got a new job, and accepted the offer, so my friends and I went to have pizza and wine at our favorite Italian restaurant. I was already on Day 3 when this happened, but you know what? It's okay! Life happens. I'm back on track, and started over the next day.

Definitely utilize the meal plan provided in the book (and the link above). It's super helpful.

Archived