melt the butter

there was a teeny amount of white foam on top that i took off

put it in a stainless bowl in the fridge

once it is chilled

take it out and pull off the butter on top

underneath was a lot of milk fat which mostly sloshed off 

i then scraped off the bit of white that was sticking to the yellow butter

then i had to remelt it to put it in a jar 

this was so much easier and it sure looked like I got off all the milk fat -- there was tons that sloshed off.....

please tell me if you know this isn't the right way to do it, if somehow I am not really getting the milk fat out

How long did you melt the butter for? I find it takes me about 30 minutes to clarify 1 pound of butter on the stove top on low heat. I get a lot more than a "teeny" amount of white foam.

You want to heat it until you stop seeing foam rise up to the top, and then I strain out with a fine strainer and two layers of cheesecloth.

I use these directions: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/how-to-clarify-butter-recipe/

I make ghee all the time. It's so easy and has more flavor (to me) than clafified butter. I take a pound of butter and toss it into an oven proof pan. One hour and ten minutes into a 300 f degree oven later, the milk solids are nicely browned. That is what gives ghee it's lovely flavor. Then I strain it through a cheesecloth.

• Moderators

I would not trust the Diffen website as a reliable guide to cooking methods. They are leaving out tons of details that every other set of instructions I've checked includes. I am afraid that your "super, easy" method is super and easy because it is incomplete. 

Here is a random site I checked that offers a more complete approach to clarifying butter: http://theshiksa.com/2013/01/15/how-to-clarify-butter/

I was addicted to brown butter ghee the first time I made it - I loved the smokey flavor it added to foods.  However, I agree that clarified butter (lighter ghee) has less of a flavor, and there are some foods that I don't want the burnt butter flavor added to.  I resolved this issue by making two different batches - one in which I allowed the milk solids to brown and sit in the oil for a while, making brown butter ghee; and the second in which I separated out the milk solids just before they started to brown, making clarified butter (lighter ghee).  I keep both forms in mason jars to use during cooking.

Well Fed 2 has an interesting recipe for "Better Butter" that infuses onion, garlic and other spices into the ghee.

I simmered the clarified butter again, for 30 mins (on a double boiler) 

A very very small amount of white foam -- i really would say negligible amount. Try it yourself and see. If you make clarified butter a lot, the test is worth doing, to see if it really is as easy to make clarified butter, as I think it is.

Archived