Aussie starting Whole30 23 July

blahblahblah

Hello :)

Tomorrow I am starting my first Whole30 :D

I've never ate Paleo, or low carb (I know this isnt intended to be low carb), so this is all brand new to me.

Im a little nervous but also excited to see what I changes I will experience over the next 30 days. Im really hoping one of those changes will be that I wont be so tired in the afternoons!

I'll be keeping a diary over in the Whole30 Log section.

Krysti

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Krysti

I'm an Aussie too starting on Aug 1st! I am excited about it. I get so tired in the afternoons too and normally want coffee and chocolate. Good luck as you start your journey. I'm looking forward to see how you are doing. I've found lots of great blogs/recipes.

Hi Krysti,

Like you, I had never eaten Paleo prior to jumping into a Whole30. Today is Day 14 for me, and it is going well -- it hasn't been nearly as hard as I expected, and I'm actually having fun with it! I understand the mid-afternoon slump. I was in the habit of grabbing a cup of coffee and maybe a candy bar or something sweet. I still find myself wanting a snack of some sort mid-afternoon, am an working on weaning myself off that (or at least choosing a non-sweet snack -- dried fruit for me is SWYPO -- I'm using it to replace my candy-fix).

Good luck as you begin your W30 today!!

Hey Krysti

Do you drink coffee? Have you tried coconut milk in it? Hope your first day is going well. I have the flu so I'm hoping I'm all fine for next week! Have you tried cross fit? I haven't yet but it's something I want to try once I loose some weight. This week I'm going to do some meal planning and shopping on the weekend. Going to the farmers market to stock up on fruit and veggies. How did you find whole30? I have friends that eat paleo and have always highly recommended it. Are you going to post your meals?

Ann - glad to hear its going well, I'm looking forward to it. Are you still drinking coffee? I have such a sweet tooth and need to just stop. I'm never been one to have a little bit of chocolate. Are you near a whole foods store? They are amazing and we don't have those stores in Australia. What a shame. Good luck and any tips on meals would be greatly appreciated!

I love my coffee with half & half, and have no desire to try to drink it black, or with coconut milk or some other variation of "creamer". So I chose to switch to herbal tea, which I also love. Decided now is as good a time as any to kick the caffeine habit. But I may re-incorporate it after the 30, we'll see. I am near a Whole Foods, and it is awesome. I hope you have something similar Down Under?

I've only found one store - I'll go and check it out. Nothing like Whole Foods. You are a brave woman for giving up the coffee - well done! I don't want the entire family to suffer so I'll try some alternatives. Cooked any yummy dinners?

The caffeine wasn't easy - I had a mild headache for the first 3-4 days, but have been fine since. I'm sleeping so much better.

I just looked through my log to see what dinners have been my favorite, and most of them are pretty simple and unexciting, but here are some highlights.

My son and I also really love this recipe, which I've done twice:

http://www.health-bent.com/proteins/country-captain

Pork tenderloin rubbed w garam masala - grilled

1/2 sweet potato w ghee and cinnamon

Steamed green beans

Beef patty w/guacamole, sliced red onions, and mushrooms sauteed in ghee

Roasted cauliflower (w/olive oil + dijon)

Handful of green grapes

1 open nature mild Italian chicken sausage w/dijon for dipping

Big pile of cabbage sauteed w/ onions in olive oil

Bubbies kosher dill pickle

Hi, I'm also a fellow Aussie and have started today too!

I've been paleo for 2 months and sugar free for 12months. Now it's time to ditch the dairy or at least see how I go. I saw this site from a marks daily apple forum so decided to give this challenge a go! Yesterday I made some almond milk and took it to my Local cafe where they made me an organic coffee, was ok... Can get used to it as not keen on black coffee without sugar. Might give coconut milk a go, I know I'll definitely miss my natural yoghurt and ricotta. But a challenge is good for our souls hey?

Wow sugar free for 12 months - that is fabulous! Have you been on the Robb Wolfe website? I will try almond milk too. I'm not keen on black coffee either. How has paleo been going? Sugar is my downfall. Lots of Aussies on here which is great.

Hi cathy, no I haven't but I look at Sarah Wilson's, marks daily apple, the healthy chef, a couple of aussie sites in there, And a couple of others, I'll take a look, thanks. Im obsessed about reading stuff about paleo at the moment, ha better than chocolate hey! Good luck!

Dragonfly, I'm obsessed about reading blogs, recipes all things paleo. I havent heard of Sarah Wilson but I'll check it out. Do you ever have chocolate? I am looking forward to starting the 30 days. I think my body will go into complete shock...maybe that's a good thing. LoL I had stabilised my weight a few years ago but over the past two years have put on 20kg which is so horrifying. The past is history, now to the future of better health. That's the pep talk to myself!!!!!! Good luck. I am going to make a list of easy recipes for starting next week plus I have kids so need to start with baby steps for them! So many blogs about paleo out there. Have you done cross fit?

I didnt end up starting today :unsure: I wasnt quite organised and decided to give myself another day. Having said that, Im still not really organised but Im starting anyhow, with the basics and will do a proper shop tomorrow night.

Hi Krysti,

Like you, I had never eaten Paleo prior to jumping into a Whole30. Today is Day 14 for me, and it is going well -- it hasn't been nearly as hard as I expected, and I'm actually having fun with it! I understand the mid-afternoon slump. I was in the habit of grabbing a cup of coffee and maybe a candy bar or something sweet. I still find myself wanting a snack of some sort mid-afternoon, am an working on weaning myself off that (or at least choosing a non-sweet snack -- dried fruit for me is SWYPO -- I'm using it to replace my candy-fix).

Good luck as you begin your W30 today!!

Wow, it's great to hear you are doing so well with never having done Paleo either!

Hey Krysti

Do you drink coffee? Have you tried coconut milk in it? Hope your first day is going well. I have the flu so I'm hoping I'm all fine for next week! Have you tried cross fit? I haven't yet but it's something I want to try once I loose some weight. This week I'm going to do some meal planning and shopping on the weekend. Going to the farmers market to stock up on fruit and veggies. How did you find whole30? I have friends that eat paleo and have always highly recommended it. Are you going to post your meals?

I drink coffee and love lattes. I havent tried coconut milk or crossfit. Im not sure if I will, I might just try to stick with tea for the 30 days. I can happily drink tea without milk. I think I found Whole30 via Robb Wolf's forum. Yep, I'll be posting my meals. I love looking at other people's logs and think it will be good to have a record of my own.

Hi, I'm also a fellow Aussie and have started today too!

I've been paleo for 2 months and sugar free for 12months. Now it's time to ditch the dairy or at least see how I go. I saw this site from a marks daily apple forum so decided to give this challenge a go! Yesterday I made some almond milk and took it to my Local cafe where they made me an organic coffee, was ok... Can get used to it as not keen on black coffee without sugar. Might give coconut milk a go, I know I'll definitely miss my natural yoghurt and ricotta. But a challenge is good for our souls hey?

Yay :) I feel a bit embarrassed that I didnt start today too.... Hopefully you made it through your first day ok! It will be interesting to follow your journey and see whether you find it's much of an adjustment from what you were already doing.

Dragonfly, I'm obsessed about reading blogs, recipes all things paleo. I havent heard of Sarah Wilson but I'll check it out. Do you ever have chocolate? I am looking forward to starting the 30 days. I think my body will go into complete shock...maybe that's a good thing. LoL I had stabilised my weight a few years ago but over the past two years have put on 20kg which is so horrifying. The past is history, now to the future of better health. That's the pep talk to myself!!!!!! Good luck. I am going to make a list of easy recipes for starting next week plus I have kids so need to start with baby steps for them! So many blogs about paleo out there. Have you done cross fit?

Cathy, I think to really immerse yourself, one needs to get a little obsessed! That's my theory anyway! Yes take a look at Sarah Wilsons blog, she has a great attitude, and also check out the healthy chef, another Aussie healthy cook! And supercharged site has some really good recipes and it even has a great recipe to make your own chocolate! But dont eat that during the whole 30! I gave up chocolate 2 years ago, wow, I was a chocolate twice a day girl! Now if I want some I have a 70-80 % chocolate and I love the loving earth brand which uses coconut sugar instead, but only have this once a month or so. Once you ditch the sugar after a month you really just don't want it that much, as long as you eat enough protein and good veggies.

I haven't done crossfit, but I teach yoga 3x a week, walk a lot, do body weight exercises and occasionally run, and I again was a runner, and a cardio junkie, funny enough, I never lost weight doing all the exercise I did before. I don't weigh myself anymore, ditched those evil scales and now just go by how my clothes feel. I probably have 5 kgs to lose and I'm hoping paleo lifestyle will do that, which it has begun. Post kids and hit my forties, seems harder to stay trim! But most importantly I wish to turn my dads diabetic, cancer gene off and stay healthy , fit, strong and happy until my 90's!

I didnt end up starting today :unsure: I wasnt quite organised and decided to give myself another day. Having said that, Im still not really organised but Im starting anyhow, with the basics and will do a proper shop tomorrow night.

Wow, it's great to hear you are doing so well with never having done Paleo either!

I drink coffee and love lattes. I havent tried coconut milk or crossfit. Im not sure if I will, I might just try to stick with tea for the 30 days. I can happily drink tea without milk. I think I found Whole30 via Robb Wolf's forum. Yep, I'll be posting my meals. I love looking at other people's logs and think it will be good to have a record of my own.

Yay :) I feel a bit embarrassed that I didnt start today too.... Hopefully you made it through your first day ok! It will be interesting to follow your journey and see whether you find it's much of an adjustment from what you were already doing.

Let the guilt go, but just dive in and begin, eats eggs, bacon loads of veggies and loads of fish, chicken, lamb, beef whatever protein you like, just do it!!

Within a week or two you wont look back on your lifestyle.

Plus sleep lots!! The power of a sleep is amazing!!

Let me know how you go,

Today's I made clarified butter for my chicken, leek and veggie pie topped with mashed cauliflower! Easy to do and can't wait to eat it tonight.

Good luck

Dragonfly, I'm 40 and my dad had cancer so I'm really ready to make the change. Chocolate seems to call my name so I'm actually excited about not letting it control me. Your dinner sounds great. I down loaded A free portion of Well Fed on the Clothes make the girl website and it looks great.

Krysti, how are you? I've been battling the flu this week. Did you have a good day. No need to be embarrassed as we are here to support each other, you can do it!

Ahh... I am glad I stumbled acsross this post. Yes another Aussie :)

I am working towards completing my first Whole30. Starting in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to make sure I am organised and have been trying lots of recipes and trying to get lots of resources behind me. I managed just over a week last time before I got thrown in the deep end and got so frustared I caved. Oh well. Try Try Try again. I have a sugar demon that sits on my should too haha, always trying to lead me astray. That is my biggest battle. I have already switched out coffee for herbal tea and finding it alright, i am a latte lover too but I'm surviving.

I have Well Fed and would highly recommend getting it. Also Mark Sissons 2 cook books have some great recipies in them.

I havent decided on my new start date yet, I have a ball to go to in 2 weeks and i am not sure I can pull of a clean night so I am just going to wait till after to try again.

Good luck all :)

Yes chocolate is like my drug. A battle that's for sure. Any good recipes that you'd recommend? I keep looking at all the websites and I m going to meal plan. Somehow I feel a bit overwhelmed but am looking forward to starting. I will order Well Fed. Where did you order the book from? I am going to try egg muffins as they look great and can freeze them. Also great weather to use the slow cooker. I am going to try almond milk in my coffee. Good luck.

I got Well Fed from Amazon. It worked out as the best price at the time. But check fishpond too they are good to compare with. I meal plan normally for just 2 of us and I find it a huge help I also cook one or 2 extra pots of something on the weekend and freeze in batches so I have stuff readily available. Yum :) I use my slow cooker a lot. Have you been to the nom nom paleo blog? Amazing recipes http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex also This website is good for inspiration http://paleoaustralia.com/paleo-recipes/ I've been overwhelmed to. I have just slowly fished through all sorts and just tried to find what works best for me. I also found herb/spice mixes screaming seeds they are handy to rub on meat or for flavoring or in a meat and veg stir fry for quick tasty meals I got them in the local health shop :)

Yes chocolate is like my drug. A battle that's for sure. Any good recipes that you'd recommend? I keep looking at all the websites and I m going to meal plan. Somehow I feel a bit overwhelmed but am looking forward to starting. I will order Well Fed. Where did you order the book from? I am going to try egg muffins as they look great and can freeze them. Also great weather to use the slow cooker. I am going to try almond milk in my coffee. Good luck.

Hi Cathy, hope you're going well, today I made coffee with heated coconut cream (50 degrees) in my thermomix and then frothed and added to expresso and it was really nice, better than almond milk. But try both. Maybe I could convince my local cafe to make coconut cream lattes!!

I really should open up my own cafe, I love inventing recipes, and I plan a little bit but mostly make things up.

Try this one- chicken leek and veg pie.

Base- coat 2 chicken breasts in oil and sea salt and roast in oven until cooked.

In sep pan with coconut oil cook 6 pieces of bacon chopped, chopped celery, carrot, leek, coriander, sweet pototoe, red pepper, salt and pepper. Once cooking add a glass of water and half a tin of tomatoes, cook for another 15 mins on slow.

Top- steam half to one cauliflower and then mash ( if u have a thermomix you can whip it up in a minute)

Assemble- put chicken veggie thing in a pan and then layer cauliflower mash on top, I then dolloped a little clarified butter on top to brown, and baked in oven for 30 ,ims on 180 degrees.

Serve with veggies

This was one of the yummiest things I've eaten for ages and my husband agrees, leftovers for tonight, let's see if my kids will eat it!

Thanks for extra sites brochellejade, I follow mark but will look at wellfed and nomnom, Sarah Wilson mentions that one I think. I love screaming seeds too, they are made locally in torquay ,Vic just near me,by the way, so I always buy them!

Good luck on your journey, one day at a time, and just keep working on what you can have, not what you can. If sugar cravings hit, dive for some protein!

Today's I made clarified butter for my chicken, leek and veggie pie topped with mashed cauliflower! Easy to do and can't wait to eat it tonight.

Good luck

I didnt realise we had to make clarified butter, I was looking for it at the supermarket! Your pie sounds delicious!!

Archived