Aussie starting Whole30 23 July

blahblahblah

Hi Krysti. yes I have been mostly Paleo for a few months now however I really struggle with dairy and sugar.. I have been trying really hard leading up to the ball and I have definitly noticed differences in the short time. Hopefully I can really focus once all this is over.

I found Spaghetti squash at a fruit and veg grocer (if any one is in the easter suburbs of vic i am more than happy to share where i get it from). I have cooked spag squash quite a bit and we eat it regularly. You want to make sure you split the squash in half long ways prior to cooking. I prefer to put it in the oven. I have tried boiling but, 1 my pot isnt big enough and I made a ridiculous mess haha and 2 i find it takes on a lot of water and i just prefer it cooked in the oven. So as i said before split it longways and then into the oven for about 40 mins on about 180/200 and then pull it out and take out the seeds and shred. it also keeps well in the fridge once cooked. :)

I also get Ghee from the shops usually in the refridgerated area with butter and i have also seen organic ghee in the health food shop but its rather expensive.

Also I would be careful with Almond milk.. anybody drinking it be sure to read you lablels... I found more often than not that it had several other non compliant whole30 ingredients.

Welcome Kate :)

Ooh good I can't wait to try squash, will look at my fruit and veg shop this week. I made my own almond milk, so I know it's w30. Really easy and if you sprout your nuts and seeds, which makes them easy to digest you can make milk from seeds and any nuts as well. The healthy chef, teresa cutter, had the recipe on Milks here

http://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/07/dairy-free-milks/

And here's a great paleo bread recipe For after w30, or maybe we can have this during

http://www.thehealthychef.com/2012/07/paleo-pumpkin-bread-2/

I think I've conquered the cows milk addiction, and the slight overuse of nuts, and feeling super energetic today! Done my power yoga early...way too dark and cold and feel like I could even go for a run, which I may do before kids come home from school. I'm meant to be studying a new topic to deliver on diabetes to GP's, but hey this will help me focus right??

My husband is now in week 3 of paleo with dairy and he's doing so well!

A big welcome to Kate, another Aussie...good luck, how is everyone else going?

Last night for dinner I used up left over lamb and made a mix of veggies in coconut oil and homemade ghee, and then whipped up some zucchini and parsnip egg fritters, so full I didn't even need any fruit after it!!

Have a lovely day

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All

It's day 7 for me and feeling pretty good. Waiting for my ISWF to arrive any day. I thought I would struggle with no dairy but it's been fine. I asked here about the squash but most people stared at me with a very blank face. Anyone in Brisbane know where I can get it? We are having spaghetti tonight but I will have the zucchini ribbons, which were yummy.

How much fruit is ok for weight loss? Is 2 pieces a day ok?

Have a great day!!

Hi Aussies, starting day one today....again! Fell off yesterday when I got caught out of the house longer than I had hoped and was starving. So glad there is an Aussie link, I'm finding that some of the things talked about on here I can't find. Coconut aminos? I'm in Mackay and we have 2 health food stores and neither of them have it or will stock it.

On the fruit topic Cathy, I only have 1 piece and I have it in the morning (a banana with my eggs or berries with pork mince), I am taiming to lose 10kg and I've read on here and in ISWF that if weight loss is a focus to cut fruit back to 1 serve a day.

Hi there! It's been awhile since I've been on the forum. I'm tracking along quite nicely, I've managed to ditch the dairy ok, now to focus on reducing my consumption of nuts!! I think to lose some fat, that might help me. I'm not sure I feel any different as I've been doing primal for a few months now. I keep some coconut milk at my local cafe and have worked out a good ratio of coffee to milk.

Good to read a few more Aussies joining this thread.

Next week I think I'll try nuts every other day, has anyone got any tips on those pesky little buggers!!

Hope everyone else is doing well

Cheers

Di

Hi all,

I surprised how well ie gone and it's now day 11. The last 4 mornings I have woken before the alarm! It would be years since this has happened. I haven't had to drag myself out of bed. Im shocked to be honest so I'm looking forward to see what other positive changes might come my way.

I'm still having my headaches so that's a bit frustrating. I thought maybe it was diet coke or chocolate induced. Maybe its just stess. Not sure. My ISWF has arrived so I'm looking forward to starting to read it.

Hope everyone is going well!

Great news Cathy. Nearing the end of w30. I've certainly learnt some things and have managed to reach a goal of ditching dairy & now trying to do without nuts for a bit to see if that drops some body fat.

I've also sourced grass fed beef and lamb locally, free range local bacon...so have made some good food choices.

I did have a couple of early cheats with the dairy but I guess that is to be expected.

I'm looking forward to continuing this journey of primal eating.

Exercise wise I'm able to do 2 whole unassisted chin ups which im wrapt about! I'm now pumping out 28 pushups, whereas I used to be able to do 15! Not sure if I've dropped any weight but hopefully I'll see more body fat gone once I have some more time off dairy and nuts!

I definitely won't add dairy back in, unless I'm having a treat.

My sleep is still great, as I'd already been primal for a few months. Hubby has also ditched dairy and is now limiting his alcohol intake to social occasions, which is a big step! I don't drink much so that was one thing I didn't find too hard!

I'm turning 43 in a few weeks so will make that a treat day, but I'm sure I'll still make a almond meal based, dark chocolate cake so almost primal!

Good luck with everyone else's journey.

Keep up this good lifestyle.

Hello another Aussie here so good to see you all here :) I started sugar free last November then recently in the last few months I've weened myself off grains, dairy and just thrown myself into paleo, I guess the hardest thing for me was giving up artificial sweeteners and I get the odd craving for bread. It's now my 2 nd day completed of whole30 and it feels good there's a lot of support here and so many resources!

An Aussie thread- awesome!! :lol:

I'm Aussie but living in Brazil at the moment.. Reading about you guys getting your supplies at Woolies and Coles is making me a tad homesick, hehe.. And I know there's probably not as many products as you can get in the States, but in comparison to my situation here.. you have a lot more options, trust me. :P

I started on 1st August, and I'm doing pretty well (considering the food situation here) I think. Haven't been able to find compliant coconut milk here which is a bummer as I LOVE curries. But I did find ghee, which I am thankful about. Rice and beans are the staple foods here, and not too many people are familiar with Paleo/Primal eating... so there have been some tricky times, but I'm nearly halfway through and I'm determined to complete the Whole30.

Anyway, it's great to read about everyone's progress here, keep up the great work!

Aya :)

P.S I have a blog running with my daily thoughts and meals- feel free to check it out!

http://confessionsofacavewoman.wordpress.com/

Great job aya and liseygirl! Its nice to have some fellow Aussies out there! Aya your blog looks great, I have an art blog that I don't tend to as much as a I should. The last few days I've been tracking my food in fit day, this has helped enormously with the protein and carbs tracking, I'm trying to stay below 70g carbs, and have at least 107 g protein, so far 2 days of nut free, today I can have some almonds! Yippee! But using fit day I can see why I need to limit nuts and fruit, especially dates!! 18 g of carbs in one little date!! Nice but not that nice!

I love this primal eating and lifestyle. Good luck!

Hi dragonfly and aya ;) I'm very fortunate to find Fellow Aussies that totally get paleo, alot of people I know are still scared of fat and follow the food pyramid which is sad cause I really enjoy my food and i just feel happier and healthier eating paleo it's hard having a belief which not many people around me that share the same view or understand, yes im around active people but they believe health is celery , low fat yoghurt and protein shakes yuck, there's more to it than eating tortured manipulated food.

Im lucky to find good coconut milk that's just two ingredients milk and just water and that's it no flavours or numbers added. The ayam brand is awesome, lol and from woollies aya haha! At the mOment my workouts are intense and varied ( crossfit etc)and I eat when I need the energy, I don't calorie count anymore and I feel free and I don't have the desire to overeat it's fab! All I eat is a mixture of fat, protein and carbs in every meal and eat when I need to. On marks daily apple he said carbs between 100-150gm a day is still good for active people and apparently you need more carbs and need to increase intake based on each hour of exercise I don't quite understand it but my body seems to be comfortable and happy at 130gm a day carbs , higher in protein and maybe the same as fat when the ratios are high, protein first then fat and carbs. I feel smaller and mid section going down already which is crazy am on my 4 th day tomorrow yay! Can't wait to see what rest of the month brings! Everyone post their menus maybe we might get some ideas from each other?

Food today

Brekkie

Eggs with mushrooms, coconut oil, kale, cherry tomatos. Cup of coffee with a spoon of coconut oil.

Lunch

Coleslaw with apple no sauce, sweet potato, half a chicken breast in spices, half avocado

Snack

150 gm grassfed porterhouse steak grilled

Dinne

Steak with spinach cucumber and quarter avocado, dessert quarter cup coconut milk and 50gm raw mixed nuts.

Daily water 3L woohoo!

Made a gorgeous San Choy bow tonight using chicken mince, onion diced, sliced beans, mushrooms, broccoli, Cajun spices plain, Himalayan salt, pepper, and a large can of coconut milk. Made about 6 serves, quite mild and yummy on a bed of lettuce it was fresh tasting and devine! I've packed it for lunch tomorrow or breakfast if I'm game ;)

Great job aya and liseygirl! Its nice to have some fellow Aussies out there! Aya your blog looks great, I have an art blog that I don't tend to as much as a I should. The last few days I've been tracking my food in fit day, this has helped enormously with the protein and carbs tracking, I'm trying to stay below 70g carbs, and have at least 107 g protein, so far 2 days of nut free, today I can have some almonds! Yippee! But using fit day I can see why I need to limit nuts and fruit, especially dates!! 18 g of carbs in one little date!! Nice but not that nice!

I love this primal eating and lifestyle. Good luck!

Cheers!

I definitely need to cut down on the nuts, too. I ate waaaay too much on the weekend, and now my skin is not looking good...

I think it's a great idea to keep a record of meals, as a way to be able to hold yourself accountable and to also see how certain foods affect you (even those Whole30 compliant!). I used to pride myself on "eating anything and everything", and as much as it has pained me, I've come to the realisation that you really are what you eat...

good luck to you as well! :)

Hi dragonfly and aya ;) I'm very fortunate to find Fellow Aussies that totally get paleo, alot of people I know are still scared of fat and follow the food pyramid which is sad cause I really enjoy my food and i just feel happier and healthier eating paleo it's hard having a belief which not many people around me that share the same view or understand, yes im around active people but they believe health is celery , low fat yoghurt and protein shakes yuck, there's more to it than eating tortured manipulated food.

Im lucky to find good coconut milk that's just two ingredients milk and just water and that's it no flavours or numbers added. The ayam brand is awesome, lol and from woollies aya haha! At the mOment my workouts are intense and varied ( crossfit etc)and I eat when I need the energy, I don't calorie count anymore and I feel free and I don't have the desire to overeat it's fab! All I eat is a mixture of fat, protein and carbs in every meal and eat when I need to. On marks daily apple he said carbs between 100-150gm a day is still good for active people and apparently you need more carbs and need to increase intake based on each hour of exercise I don't quite understand it but my body seems to be comfortable and happy at 130gm a day carbs , higher in protein and maybe the same as fat when the ratios are high, protein first then fat and carbs. I feel smaller and mid section going down already which is crazy am on my 4 th day tomorrow yay! Can't wait to see what rest of the month brings! Everyone post their menus maybe we might get some ideas from each other?

Food today

Brekkie

Eggs with mushrooms, coconut oil, kale, cherry tomatos. Cup of coffee with a spoon of coconut oil.

Lunch

Coleslaw with apple no sauce, sweet potato, half a chicken breast in spices, half avocado

Snack

150 gm grassfed porterhouse steak grilled

Dinne

Steak with spinach cucumber and quarter avocado, dessert quarter cup coconut milk and 50gm raw mixed nuts.

Daily water 3L woohoo!

Made a gorgeous San Choy bow tonight using chicken mince, onion diced, sliced beans, mushrooms, broccoli, Cajun spices plain, Himalayan salt, pepper, and a large can of coconut milk. Made about 6 serves, quite mild and yummy on a bed of lettuce it was fresh tasting and devine! I've packed it for lunch tomorrow or breakfast if I'm game ;)

Hey liseygurl :)

Ahh Ayam brand... How I miss thee! Things like that which I took for granted in Oz... Have had no luck in finding here. :( I found a website for an Asian store in another city, and it cost around $8 (no joke) for a can of thai coconut milk. They have coconut milk here in the supermarkets, but they're full on sugar and preservatives... Sob.

It is really amazing how so many believe that fat = evil and how prevalent the low fat fad still is. It's pretty much impossible to convince a lot of people that the real enemy is sugar, not fat. When I told a few people that I've cut out grains, legumes, dairy etc, they've just looked at me in shock. It' such a huge part of the eating culture here and they act as if I'm on some "crazy" diet.. A little discouraging, but I'm really glad that I came across this program, the book, and am taking steps to educate myself and to dispel myths that I had thought were correct for the majority of my life.

As for what I've been eating- may be a little boring, to be honest! :P I've been recycling the same recipes for the past week, so I really need some inspiration! hehe. But no problem, I'll record what I've been eating here, too.

Breakfast: Steak and scrambled eggs. Peppermint Tea.

It's just about lunch time here now, so will report back later with that and also with what I end up eating for Dinner. :)

Good luck ladies!

Hey liseygurl :)

Ahh Ayam brand... How I miss thee! Things like that which I took for granted in Oz... Have had no luck in finding here. :( I found a website for an Asian store in another city, and it cost around $8 (no joke) for a can of thai coconut milk. They have coconut milk here in the supermarkets, but they're full on sugar and preservatives... Sob.

It is really amazing how so many believe that fat = evil and how prevalent the low fat fad still is. It's pretty much impossible to convince a lot of people that the real enemy is sugar, not fat. When I told a few people that I've cut out grains, legumes, dairy etc, they've just looked at me in shock. It' such a huge part of the eating culture here and they act as if I'm on some "crazy" diet.. A little discouraging, but I'm really glad that I came across this program, the book, and am taking steps to educate myself and to dispel myths that I had thought were correct for the majority of my life.

As for what I've been eating- may be a little boring, to be honest! :P I've been recycling the same recipes for the past week, so I really need some inspiration! hehe. But no problem, I'll record what I've been eating here, too.

Breakfast: Steak and scrambled eggs. Peppermint Tea.

It's just about lunch time here now, so will report back later with that and also with what I end up eating for Dinner. :)

Good luck ladies!

Hi greenpapaya! Sorry forgot to add my reply lol that sucks how expensive coconut milk and cream is its ridiculous, I wish I could find coconut aminos here never seen it in shops or health food stores! Ahhh I've had the same kinds of comments even comments from people like oh I need my carbs I couldn't give up bread or rice lol.I just hold my tongue now when people tell me they eat diet food, desserts and drink alot and wonder why they suffer Ill health, I just want to tell people that I feel great cause of what I'm eating now, it's changed my entire being! It's 4 days gone and my appetite has changed, maybe cause I was busy today I dunno but I feel like I have more energy, breakfast coconut chicken mince San Choy bow leftovers with zucchini and a poached egg on top coffee with coconut oil . lunch a small sweet potato, pork cutlet with thyme, lettuce and spinach, half cucumber and snack tin of sardines in spring water. Dinner was leftover San Choy bow. Yay half a week gone ! It's slowly getting easier ;)

Archived