Aussie starting Whole30 23 July

blahblahblah

I didnt realise we had to make clarified butter, I was looking for it at the supermarket! Your pie sounds delicious!!

Hi kristi, how are you going? Yes the pie was delist and one son loved it, the other didn't try it, he's the fussy one!

Yes I've not seen it in shops here in Vic, but it's super easy to make and makes scrambled eggs good!

Day 4, and I'm missing the yoghurt and the normal lattes!! Today I made coffee at home and will avoid the local cafe I case I crumble....

I'm beginning to think a whole 14 or 15 might be enough!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi kristi, how are you going? Yes the pie was delist and one son loved it, the other didn't try it, he's the fussy one!

Yes I've not seen it in shops here in Vic, but it's super easy to make and makes scrambled eggs good!

Day 4, and I'm missing the yoghurt and the normal lattes!! Today I made coffee at home and will avoid the local cafe I case I crumble....

I'm beginning to think a whole 14 or 15 might be enough!!

Hey :)

Im going great :) Yesterday I was daydreaming about eating chips and lollies, but that has passed today. I woke up feeling pretty good! I normally drink 1 or 2 large lattes from the local cafe, Im not missing them yet...

I want to make it to the whole 30 days. I think I need the full 30 days to really see changes and make some permanent changes to my eating.

Hi Kristi, Cathy and everyone else,

I'm an Aussie considering starting Aug 1st too. I'm a bit nervous - part of me is reluctant to try while still doing non-paleo meals for my family members. I'm not sure I can resist all the temptations!! However I totally relate to all those sugar and chocolate comments - that's me :))) Any advice? Sharon

Hello Team Aussie!!

Ok gone are the chocolates and as the day approaches I am both nervous and excited. I have the flu so am off work - good and bad. I read about 'screaming seeds'. Check out their website. I will do my meal plan for the week and have loads of eggs ready and waiting. I feel anxious about fighting the sweet cravings but sometimes the time before hand is worse than the actual. Maybe? How is everyone else doing. I also bought good quality coconut milk. I have the mom mom paleo app which has some good recipes. I'm good to go.

Sharon - I might still cook some rice etc for the family. I'm going to try the cauliflower rice. As for the kids lunches, it makes me think about what the kids are eating. If I don't buy the crap, the cant eat it. I did some home baking and it's in the freezer. If I make spaghetti bol the family can have pasta and will have the sauce.

How's everyone doing?

Hi everyone, well I crumbled on a latte on Saturday and it wasn't even that nice , so I thought that

I can live without milk!! But I'm not beating myself up, but jumping back on and keeping on going. Because I've been paleo with dairy for awhile the dairy is my hardest part!! Weird when sugar and grains once were the thing I couldn't live without!!

Made a great eggplant lasagne with cauliflower mash on the top over the weekend. Hubby said it was the best recipe yet. Found a grass fed supplier of meat at a local farmers market so very excited about that. As my local butchers say things are free range, but no labels!! I think they make it up as they go along, as if it was grass fed or free range I would have though it had to be labelled!!

Also am now managing one full chin up and then another half way, so getting stronger!

Paleo lifestyle certainly gives you a zest for life, sleep is so good, and I'm not having those afternoon slumps....can't wait for summer...

Welcome Sharon, and keep going kristi, Cathy and everyone else. X

I know your not meant to replace chocolate or whatever your nemesis is, but bake some chicken and nibble on that when you need a snack. Think protein, protein and eventually your body will give up on the carbs.

Hey Dragonfly

Good thought on the latte... I know what you mean as when I crave chocolate and I have to have it, when I do I think it's not that good! So much is in the mind. Wow your recipe sounds great. Dinners this week will be chicken curry, lamb, spaghetti Bol. I will make some chicken for lunches and a stew next weekend. What are you having for lunches? Breakfast will be eggs with tomatoes, spinach, avo. I bought some nut butter and it's so yummy.

The chin up is AMAZING! Well done. I want to get back into running. I was only doing 10km but I want to do a half marathon. That's my long term goal. I'm a work in progress. Glad to hear about the energy. Tomorrow is my last day before starting on the 30 days!

Hello everyone

Cathy, I didnt realise we could get the Nom Nom Paleo app in Australia. I will have a look at it! Im not craving sugar, just toast and chips...

Dragonfly, I wouldnt stress about the latte either, just keep going.

I want to find a spaghetti squash this week, so I can make spag bol! Anyone cooked them before?

Hey Dragonfly

Good thought on the latte... I know what you mean as when I crave chocolate and I have to have it, when I do I think it's not that good! So much is in the mind. Wow your recipe sounds great. Dinners this week will be chicken curry, lamb, spaghetti Bol. I will make some chicken for lunches and a stew next weekend. What are you having for lunches? Breakfast will be eggs with tomatoes, spinach, avo. I bought some nut butter and it's so yummy.

The chin up is AMAZING! Well done. I want to get back into running. I was only doing 10km but I want to do a half marathon. That's my long term goal. I'm a work in progress. Glad to hear about the energy. Tomorrow is my last day before starting on the 30 days!

Hey Cathy,

For lunch I'll have a big salad with tuna, or chicken...bits of everything I have in the fridge, dressed with some oil. Or a big bowl of homemade chicken soup. Breakfast is usually eggs, bacon and a few veggies, although today I slept late and taught my yoga class and then had soup and eggs for lunch! Eating paleo does that after a while, you stop being so hungry. I used to get really nauseous in the mornings if I didn't eat, now no probs!

I make up breaky muffins also in the mornings for my hubby and I steal some every now again. Eggs, bacon and veggies. They're yummo.

Tried a black coffee with half a stevia sachet, I know I'm not meant to have that but figure it's better than milk! So think I'll keep doing that until I'm don't want dairy anymore.

The thermomix is just shy of $2,000. But it's been the best purchase I've ever made! I've had it for a couple of years, and I would use it every day, most days 3-5 times a day. Today, I made a herb marinade for slow roasted grass fed lamb shoulder, which was soooo good, I then steamed veggies, and then whipped up cauliflower mash. I make coffee, cakes, sorbet without sugar,seed & nut flours, dough, melt chocolate....it's just endless.

I have done a couple of half marathons, the great ocean road , which if you can travel is a ripper, it's 23 km, hilly but best views all the way! Now I just run a little bit, trying hard to live like a grok (primal). I teach power yoga 3x week, walk a few times a week and do interval work. I have signed up for tough mudder in jan 2013, so will need to get running from now until then as you cover 20 kms. But when I run long distance I tend to put on weight, weird I know but there are a lot of fat runners!! It's because of the cortisol release...so now i prefer to do less running.

Hello everyone

Cathy, I didnt realise we could get the Nom Nom Paleo app in Australia. I will have a look at it! Im not craving sugar, just toast and chips...

Dragonfly, I wouldnt stress about the latte either, just keep going.

I want to find a spaghetti squash this week, so I can make spag bol! Anyone cooked them before?

Hi krysti, thanks for support...it's needed when you do challenges! I'm looking for one too, very easy to cook, bake in over for an hour or microwave and then shred! I'm planning a paleo carbonara!! Just got to find it!! Must ask at my fruit and veg shop.

X

Hi krysti, thanks for support...it's needed when you do challenges! I'm looking for one too, very easy to cook, bake in over for an hour or microwave and then shred! I'm planning a paleo carbonara!! Just got to find it!! Must ask at my fruit and veg shop.

X

Pasta carbonara sounds great!

I'm not an Aussie :) but I'm just starting too! Like you, I haven't ever done low-carb or anything similar. I've got such high hopes for the Whole30. I've got my whole family in on it, too! With the friendly forums here, I think it's going to be great. The cravings are going to hurt, but we can get through them! Cheers, and good luck!

Hi, I'm an Aussie too, starting 20 August after 10 day ski trip. I've done a lot of reading and planning. Bought a whole lot of organic supplies at About Life in balmain. Am using this time to cut back a bit but also to observe reactions. Like the other night I ate 100g of wasabi peas and had a splitting headache that night. Looked at the ingredients and my new book on additives and found that they contained flavor enhances 627 and 631, both of which list headaches as a possible side effect. I'm also realizing that I do sometimes have a mild headache and that dairy may cause some bloating. I've never really noticed or payed attention to my body before! I am really excited and can't wait to start!

Yay! Welcome!!

Have you done Whole30 or Paleo before? Why dont you try Paleo in the lead up to the ball?

Hi Krysti. yes I have been mostly Paleo for a few months now however I really struggle with dairy and sugar.. I have been trying really hard leading up to the ball and I have definitly noticed differences in the short time. Hopefully I can really focus once all this is over.

I didnt realise we could get the Nom Nom Paleo app in Australia. I will have a look at it! Im not craving sugar, just toast and chips...

I found Spaghetti squash at a fruit and veg grocer (if any one is in the easter suburbs of vic i am more than happy to share where i get it from). I have cooked spag squash quite a bit and we eat it regularly. You want to make sure you split the squash in half long ways prior to cooking. I prefer to put it in the oven. I have tried boiling but, 1 my pot isnt big enough and I made a ridiculous mess haha and 2 i find it takes on a lot of water and i just prefer it cooked in the oven. So as i said before split it longways and then into the oven for about 40 mins on about 180/200 and then pull it out and take out the seeds and shred. it also keeps well in the fridge once cooked. :)

I also get Ghee from the shops usually in the refridgerated area with butter and i have also seen organic ghee in the health food shop but its rather expensive.

Also I would be careful with Almond milk.. anybody drinking it be sure to read you lablels... I found more often than not that it had several other non compliant whole30 ingredients.

Welcome Kate :)

I'm not an Aussie :) but I'm just starting too! Like you, I haven't ever done low-carb or anything similar. I've got such high hopes for the Whole30. I've got my whole family in on it, too! With the friendly forums here, I think it's going to be great. The cravings are going to hurt, but we can get through them! Cheers, and good luck!

Hi!!

When do you start? That's awesome that your whole family is on board with you :)

Hi, I'm an Aussie too, starting 20 August after 10 day ski trip. I've done a lot of reading and planning. Bought a whole lot of organic supplies at About Life in balmain. Am using this time to cut back a bit but also to observe reactions. Like the other night I ate 100g of wasabi peas and had a splitting headache that night. Looked at the ingredients and my new book on additives and found that they contained flavor enhances 627 and 631, both of which list headaches as a possible side effect. I'm also realizing that I do sometimes have a mild headache and that dairy may cause some bloating. I've never really noticed or payed attention to my body before! I am really excited and can't wait to start!

Welcome Kate! That's really interesting re the wasabi peas. I wouldnt normally make the connection between headaches and food.

Hi Brochelle

Is this ball this weekend? Have you picked a start date?? :)

I also found ghee near the tinned coconut milk in my supermarket but looked gross. The refridgerated one is much more appealing to me. I was surprised by the taste. I ate some from the tub, I wont do that again.

Thanks for the spaghetti squash tips!

Hi Brochelle

I also found ghee near the tinned coconut milk in my supermarket but looked gross. The refridgerated one is much more appealing to me. I was surprised by the taste. I ate some from the tub, I wont do that again.

Yes this weekend!! I am rather excited its quite a big even and i get to dress up hehe

Hi Brochelle

Sorry i did something worng before and it didnt all post --- Yes the ball is this weekend!! I am rather excited it's quite a big event and I have a gorgeous dress to wear. I have lost a fair bit of weight and my shape has changed so much doing weights and kettlebell work so even though I have a lot of work to do its nice to be able to show of the changes I have made so far!

Yeah I saw Ghee in a similar area in my supermarket and bypassed it too... didn't look to great. Hehe I haven't eaten it from the tub but I find it pleasant when cooking. In the sense that the flavour is not strong and its easily masked.

So my start date… hmmm I am looking at 14th/15th of August. I am not originally from Victoria, and I have been a bit homesick and missing my family lately. My Boyfriend secretly arranged for me to go home for a long weekend next weekend. My family understand my Paleo mission to a certain degree but not 100% so I will do my best over that weekend and see how I go but I think most likely I will start once I am back.

How are you going? Once I get a bit more time I will post some of my fav recipes. Oh an I love the nom nom paleo app.. It also has a dedicated whole30 section which is just great!

Hi All

I couldn't find the ghee - I shop at Woolies - would it be where the butter is? I also want to cook spagetti squash. I'll look for it. Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to improving my cooking (so is my husband LOL). Has anyone cooked their eggs in coconut oil? I have that in the pantry.

This has opened up an entire new world to me. Makes me so much more aware of all the total crap that goes into food. I have just watched two interesting movies, Food Matters and Hungry for Change (downloaded from the Food matters website). Also interesting is "The Weight of a Nation" - about overweight in the US. (it's free to watch). It really makes you think about how important it is what we feed our kids. I'm waiting for my book, ISWF to arrive.

I get a lot of headaches so it will be interesting to see if they are a bit better when I am not consuming all the preservatives etc. Keep you posted. I welcome all recipes and I will share the same. As I said, not a very good cook but many of them seem easy. I have the fixings for a curry - I bought the curry power from the market with nothing but all good stuff Whole30 approved.

Ok tomorrow is Day 1. I'm looking forward to it.

Hope everyone is going well.

Hello girls

1 week down for me. Yay!! I wasnt sure if I could make the 30 days, but Im starting to think, yes I can!

Cathy, in Woolies, I found ghee in the aisle with coconut milk, and asian foods (not in the fridge). In Coles, I found the refridgeated one near the other butters. I havent found coconut oil yet, but I think I'll just stick with olive oil and ghee for now.

Brochelle, that was so nice of your BF! I hope you have a nice time away and enjoy the ball. I need that app!

Hey guys, if you aren't able to find ghee at your grocery store, it is seriously the easiest thing to make! There are tons of Youtube videos showing you how. I've made two batches since I started three weeks ago, something I seriously never thought I'd do.

I also made mayo for the first time last weekend, and wish I had done it sooner! It wasn't as simple as ghee, but still very easy, and so yummy/versatile. I'm bringing some leftover salmon mixed with mayo + celery sticks to work today for a mid-afternoon snack. Yum!

Archived