Starting 11/21/13

NKOTBgirl1986

I'm starting my second W30 tomorrow after completing my first Whole 30 last week. I totally fell off the wagon, big time, giving into major sugar and carb cravings. Sigh. I'm afraid it will take a Whole 60 this time to make the good habits stick.

Lessons I learned (sometimes the hard way): bake tons of chicken on Sunday, buy lots of prewashed and cut veggies (I'm lazy), I need to limit my fruits, maybe I should stay away from nuts this time, NO dried fruit(I can't portion control!)

We can do this!!

I'm starting the 21st too!  I am the biggest sweet tooth I know, and with the holidays coming up it is kind of a tricky time to try to attempt this.  But maybe then we'll prove to ourselves that if we can do this during the most tempting sweets time of year, we can do it anytime.  I've already been off sugar two days as I started reading the book, and I feel so much better.

Excited to follow along with someone else during this.  This is one of the biggest personal challenges I've tried to commit to in a long time.  

Learning how to cook so that my two little boys will eat all this will be a great learning experience too. I'm not putting the whole family on the plan, so for now I just separated the food in my kitchen.  Will.Not.Give.In.  Not even to Eggnog.

I started my first one today, as well.  I first found out about Whole30 about a week and a half ago but I decided not to start until now because I was already committed to going to a fancy Italian restaurant with my Italian class on the 20th.  It was a wonderful meal and an experience I probably won't have again for a very long time so I feel like it was worth it, but I have to say that I can feel the effects of the less-than-healthy foods I ate.

I have recently become much more in tune with how my body reacts to certain foods.  My doctor has already asked me to avoid casein, gluten, soy, corn, sugar, etc, but it's been very difficult for me to follow his advice.  I have been in denial about my food sensitivities but am coming to the conclusion that I do have them and that they affect me both physically and psychologically.

In any case, I thought this program would be a great way to commit myself to the diet from my doctor as well as just develop better habits in general.  I know that eating low carb has always been the best strategy for me to feel my best and lose my weight.  I lost around 60 lbs a few years ago using low carb, but then I had a health crisis (unrelated to diet) that made me go into a seemingly endless downward spiral until I gained a significant amount of weight back.  It has been devastating, I will tell you.  For years, I haven't even weighed myself.  I just have my mom weigh me and she writes it down and then updates me on how much I've lost or gained.  I don't want to know my actual weight because it would just be too devastating to find out how much I gained back from the time when I was almost at my goal.

With this program I'm hoping to get the structure and discipline I've been missing and I'm very excited about getting healthier (sleeping better, getting rid of eczema, depression, anxiety, hypoglycemia, etc) as well as finally getting the physique I've wanted all my adult life.

If anyone else here would like to use this thread as a support group, I think that could be really helpful for all of us.  We can encourage each other along the way.

All the best to you all!

Annette

Today, November 21st is my Day 1.

My husband and I made it through 11 days of the Whole 30 in October.  Somehow we both fell off the wagon and I found myself back to my old habits.  Here I am, a month later, craving the energy, clear headedness and wonderful sleep I experienced back in October. 

This time I am doing it alone.  I anticipate the challenge being that I have a husband and two children at home, as well as a coworker who has cookies and candies available all day.  I don't think pasta, rice and such will be the problem, but more so the cookies and milk and sugar I have in my tea and coffee.

Looking forward motivating and asking for motivation from all of you.

We can do this!

Mary-Ann

Hi, all! I started yesterday as well. I've been in and out of this type of nutritional plan for about a month now, so "going clean" isn't a huge shock to my system, thankfully. However I still feel very weak-minded, alternating between highs of "I can DO this, I feel great!" to "I've been doing so well, this one piece of bread won't hurt me!"

Like most people, I have a problem with stick-to-it-ness. I would love to have some great Whole30 friends to help support me through, and will offer the same in return. :)

(as i type i'm enjoying leftover steak from last night's dinner on top of salad with Practical Paleo homemade vinaigrette dressing. it's delicious! also, why is spelling vinaigrette so diffuclt?)

Did you guys check out this timeline yet?

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  

I got so incredibly cranky around 4:00pm yesterday and it really stuck with me (unnatural for me), so I kind of think it might be the sugar withdrawls!  

I survived our community's Thanksgiving dinner without going for the sweets or rolls... it was so hard, but I'm glad Thanksgiving is so savory in general.

I now realize I was a bit on the optimistic side about how easy this would be for me.  My mind is literally battling thoughts of excuses and donuts and lattes really really often.  Expecting that to go up and down.  Also, I now know it's not too safe for me to have mixed-nut-with-dried-fruit around while I'm on this... I might inhale it.

Hey!  How was everyone's second day?  Mine has been pretty good so far.  I went to a friend's house for lunch in the afternoon and brought my own food:  sliced kubasa (from a local farm that sells organic, grass fed meat without any gluten, casein, etc), some carrots, a few almonds, and a mandarin orange.  It wasn't as good as if I'd eaten a hot meal at home but it worked.  I also ate a little earlier than I normally would have but I'm getting back on schedule tonight.

Miranda, I had a look at the beginning of the timeline.  That is pretty interesting.  Actually, I feel way better on day 2 than I did on day 1.  Maybe it's because, like beesknees, I'm somewhat used to a similar way of eating and it's not such a shock to my system.  I actually think my system gets shocked when I start eating a lot of junky foods.  I have noticed lately that I feel really sick and exhausted the next day when I do that.  Given that Wednesday night was my Italian meal with my class, I think that is why I felt so terrible yesterday, but I got through it and I'm feeling much better.  Hopefully it will continue.

One thing that happened to me last night was I woke up at around 2:00, feeling like I had to eat in order to get back to sleep again.  This is an annoying problem that has plagued me for much of my life.  It does get better when I am on a low carb program, though, and I anticipate that very soon I will not be waking up hungry.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage those of you who are already struggling with temptations: don't give in!  Just remind yourself that this is only for 30 days and if you want a treat after that, you may choose to indulge in a wise manner.  And hopefully by then you will have beaten your cravings and won't want those things anymore!  And make sure you are eating enough of what you CAN have.  Try out a new recipe or something.  I find if I have enough variety, I don't feel as much like I want to eat off plan.

Alright, I wish all of you a good night/day, and I'll check in here again soon!

Annette

Okay, day one done. Not too bad, but feeling the urge to snack, out of habit. Also, I've been eating fruit after meals... not sure if that will perpetuate my addiction to dessert.

How was your day one?

Well, we're allowed to have one or two servings of fruit a day so I don't think there is a problem with eating some fruit after a meal, as long as you are not overdoing it.  The last two days I have eaten one serving of fruit per day.  I too eat it at the end of a meal.  I just find it finishes it off quite nicely.

Biggest challenge for day 2 was turning down some homemade pumpkin bread from a friend who's a pastry chef.  I didn't have any, but really really really wanted some!  I have a gigantic sweet tooth and will overeat pastries and desserts at any opportunity.  That's why I'm somewhat relieved to be on W30 right now, knowing how many temptations are in store the next few weeks.  Maybe it will get easier to say no as the days go by...I hope.

As for my fruit addiction, I really just love fruit!  I just have to better about limiting the servings per day.  Thanks for the support everyone!!

So, day 3 is just about done!  How are you guys all doing?

I have good news:  last night I slept well and didn't wake up hungry.  Yay!  I did have some weird food-related dreams, though.  lol

Keep up the good work, Livealoha.  Yeah, I find that being on a plan like this helps me to stay away from the "treats".  If I am really committed to something like this, I can more easily say no.  If I'm just wishy-washy trying to eat "healthy", I tend to be much more likely to give in, pig out, and say "I'll get back to my diet tomorrow".  Inevitably a day or two later there is another temptation and I end up pigging out again.

Anyway, I hope everyone is staying on track.  Keep on keepin' on!

Today, just 3 and a bit more days in for me, I saw a second of my health concerns solved.  Seems just incredible to me.  And now it seems really gross that what I was eating day after day prevented this stuff from healing.  A huge motivation to keep on keeping on.  I'm finding if I just think about what meal at a time, and not the 27 more days ahead, it's better.  Cause these meals are good!  It would be hard if I didn't know how to cook.  

GO TEAM!!!!!

hi, all! day 3 - almost done! only water for rest of tonight for me. i must admit, i have not been PERFECT. but i'm doing okay, i think. i have to practice more mind over matter.

i took the opportunity of no plans today to do some prep cooking, paleo style. i made paleo mayo, crab deviled eggs, paleo crabcakes, and a batch of ghee! i'm not normally a cook (by any stretch) so nothing turned out gourmet quality, but it's great to have an excuse to stretch and try new things in the kitchen. i really enjoy cooking! i live alone, so it's normally a bummer to make meals by/for myself. perhaps this program will help me overcome that challenge.

tomorrow i'm going to make sauerkraut and a yummy beef chili slow cooker recipe. also going for a rowdy bike ride. excited for sunday!

i'm glad to hear you all are finding encouraging changes with your programs. i feel great, but know that this feeling usually leads me to be lax when tempted. so, trying to accept feeling great while keeping going what is making me feel great!

Day 3 done, yay! Survived a dinner out by eating salmon and salad but had to watch my family dig into a huge piece of chocolate cake (my fave). Strangely, when I'm on Whole 30 it actually easier for me to say no to treats because of the "rules."

Had a fascinating discussion with my hubby who says I'm crankier when I'm NOT eating W30. He said normally I agonize over whether to let myself eat something and then I'm angry at myself for eating poorly. In other words, I'm angry about eating food and angry about not eating food.

Annette, I'm glad you slept better last night; I always forget how important sleep is for health. Seattlemiranda, that's great that you've already seen a health improvement! Beesknees, I might have to get your paleo crabcake recipe. It's Dungeness crab season here in the San Francisco Bay Area and I totally love crab!

Happy day three everyone :)!

for sure you can have my recipe! i actually cobbled it together based off the "quick and easy salmon cakes" recipe from Practical Paleo (a great book, btw). i used about 10 oz crab, 2 eggs (beaten), bit of garlic, 2 tsps mustard, and Old Bay. just fried patties up in about 1/4" of coconut oil. the original recipe calls for shallots & green onions, i'm sure there's a lot of other things you could add to increase taste & veg component. the simple little recipe i put together actually turned out pretty yummy! usually when i try to get all fancy and improvise recipes i end up with a disaster. this was not the case here! this made 6 patties, ate 2. perfect for quick breakfast in the am!

also - i LOVE that my house smells like coconut oil. i wonder if that will wear off and it'll grow tiresome, but it smells like a tropical island, and the scent brings subtle good will to EAT CLEAN!

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. I've haven't started using any coconut oil yet but I know everyone loves it. Can I just use it like any other cooking oil or butter, like for stir fry and sautee?

Coconut oil is great for cooking as it withstands high temperatures, unlike EV olive oil which should be used cold after cooking.

Unrefined coconut oil has all the health benefits, but also a scent and taste- some people don't like it! If you don't like it, look for refined oil. It hasn't got the same health benefits but doesn't have the coconut smell or taste.

Thanks Amberino! I'm going to get some coconut oil this week to try.

Day four: I enjoyed crab and butternut squash, Brussels sprouts. I actually like eating all the healthy veggies, meats, and fruits. It's just the other yummy stuff (read: sugar) that I'm really missing. I'm worried about feeling too tempted on Thanksgiving, mostly by all the pies...I hate feeling deprived but also hate giving in (which usually leads to a sugar binge). Crossing my fingers I can stay strong!

livealoha - your day 4 foods sound delicious! i may have to get some brussels sprouts soon. i actually made ghee over the weekend, might be a good veg to test on.

my thanksgiving plans are to pretty much stay holed up in my house all day, just me and my two kitty cats. i don't live near family, my boyfriend will be off visiting his parents, and my friends will all be out of town. i'm taking this as a much-needed day to either be productive on home projects, or do nothing at all, whichever i feel like that day! thankfully (!!) this also means i won't be tempted by all the no-no noshing for the holiday.

if anyone needs Thanksgiving Day encouragement just post in this forum - i should be quick to respond with any whole-30 support i can offer!

Hey everyone!

Just checking in for day 5!  Have to say things are going really well, so far.  The only struggle I've had was last night: it was my sister's birthday and they were having the yummiest looking chocolate truffle cake!  :o  But don't worry, I resisted.  ;)   Actually, I'm a lot like you, Livealoha.  I can really identify with the agonizing over food thing, then getting upset with myself when I eat it.  That's why I like this program: I don't have to debate myself - the issue is already settled by the rules of the program.  Anyway, I get to eat the most delicious things so I really don't need to feel bad about not eating all the bad stuff that made me feel terrible, anyway!  For example, today I had the Indian Curry from the 'It Starts With Food' book.  It was really comforting and filling.

Wow Beesknees, you're making sour kraut?  That's great!  So far I have just been buying mine from the store.  It says it's unpasteurized so it must have the probiotics in it.  I have been meaning to make my own for the longest time.  One of these days I'll get around to it!

Anyway, I know American Thanksgiving is coming up this week.  The Canadian one was in October so I won't be having the same temptations as some of the rest of you guys, but I encourage you to stick to your guns and ride through this.  Just make sure you have some tasty options that fit with your eating plan.  :)

Wednesday I'm going to a fundraiser for my cousin who lost her leg a year and a half ago in a car accident.  It is being held at some kind of fancy bar and I know the food there will probably not work for me.  I'm planning to sneak some of my own food in.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Well, I'll sign off for today.  Hope you all are well.  Keep up the good work!

Annette

Day 5, almost made it a week! I find it easier to stick to the W30 plan during the work week. My routine is pretty set, eggs in morning, pack my own lunch with chicken and veggies that I pre-make on Sunday, then fish/veggies for dinner. Boring but safe.

The more troublesome times involve the weekends with my family. I'm ok at social events and can usually find something to eat when we are out to dinner. But (and it's a big "but"), I do miss sharing dessert and special treats with my family, like you Annette! That's why thanksgiving will be tough!!

Another complication is the massive amount of treats at the office around this time of year, lots of home baked goodies and gift baskets. In the past I would nibble on stuff throughout the day. Now it will be easier to avoid the break room entirely and "just say no."

I saw a quote that made me smile because it's so true: don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog. I used to treat myself for a variety of totally made-up excuses. My worst trick was offering to take my kids for a treat, secretly knowing I wanted some myself. I really hope this time, I'll finally conquer this dreaded sugar dragon!!

Well, if anyone is looking for a tasty treat to have on Thanksgiving or any other time when you'd like something sweet, I recommend coconut manna spread on some apple slices.  That was part of my breakfast, this morning.  ;)   There is no sugar in it.  It's pure coconut, so you get the healthy fat and fibre along with the semi-sweet taste.

Today I've been very tired and unwell.  I don't think it's because of the whole30.  I started to feel bad when I had a stressful experience, last night.  I respond very poorly to stress and it's on days like this when I most want to eat something I shouldn't.  In any case, I am just reminding myself that I will only feel worse if I eat this or that.  This forum is also helping me to stay accountable.

Hope things for the rest of you are going well,

Annette

Sorry you're not feeling well Annette!  Stress definitely triggers my appetite too.  I don't know why eating is so soothing, but hopefully you can stay strong.  I need to come up with a list of things to distract me from eating in those moments too, maybe a cup of tea or a walk around the block??  Hope things improve for you soon!

I'll have to try the coconut manna, sounds tasty.  Where can I find it?

Annette, I hope you feel better soon! Stress is a killer, literally. One of the best things I've found to alleviate stress is to take a walk. Walking is perfectly paleo, too! I'm sure it's not terribly warm where you are right now, but even going for a quick walk (10 mins?) makes a difference.

I'm happy there's a few of us here who started on the same day and are sticking with it. I hope the OP is still on track! I have some friends who support me, but there's nothing like having contacts who are in the exact same spot. Thanks to all of you for sharing your feedback, it definitely helps keep me motivated! Almost ONE WEEK done!

-Kimberly-

Archived