Christmas Whole30

Trina

Hi

I'm on day 3. And I believe my carb-headache is done for because even thought finding sleep went slow yesterday I slept very well :-)

Also, I was out eating dinner yesterday. First we went to a thai restaurant. I asked: What dishes does not have sugar in them? My answer: none.

So we went to another restaurant where I had steak and great veggies slow cooked in oliveoil. Yum

I'm preparing for taco night with my brother and his family this weekend making taco spices to have in my minced meat and homemade salsa. I use salad, little gem, instead for taco.

Trina

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

day 5 for me and cant believe how hard kicking the sugar has been, but i have resisted!!! feeling very proud of myself.  tired still my body hasnt got used to not getting its sugar kicks, i was having non paleo treats about every day!!! ooops!

Trina, tacos sounds yum.  I have a friend coming for weekend and am still trying to decide what Whole30 deliciousness to cook.  probably a casserole of some sort, but undecided.

Be good all x

Hello! I would love to join ya'll!!! Norway is my second home and favorite place on earth <3 That drew me to reading the posts, and I yall seem like a great bunch of people so I would love to join in! I am really struggling with this whole 30 and I am assumig it is because of starting around the holidays. Well, who am I kidding, it wont be easy for me at any time...I am not the kind of person who can "moderate" her food....I love it ALL too much! I need to be strict....my family is really supportive, but some of our friends are what is making it kind of hard....last night a good friend of ours (who LOVES to eat) treated us to dinner....I tried SO hard not to eat but for appitizers he ordered SIX of them for us, and there were only three adults and two kids at the table!. I crashed big time...I even ordered dessert and halfway thru it I got dizzy and sick because it was the most sugar Ive had in a long time. So Starting again tomorrow. Lesseon learned...If I cannot say no, I cannto put myself in that situation at all.

SO....I plan to host Christmas parties at my house this year instead of going other places so I can control the food better. What are some ways yall plan to tackle the holidays?

Hi mrs.joslyn, i hear ya, i can't do moderation either :ph34r: I don't do many Christmas do's, but i did Christmas lunch last year for us & the in-laws, i think I'll do same again this year.

Day 2 for me today, had a ridiculously busy morning (which included a successful job interview, go me :P) & a late lunch - i think i hoovered it down a bit quick cos i feel a bit nauseated now! I'm hoping a cup of green tea will see me right.

Hello all! I have begun a Whole21 today, essentially a cleanse before I head home for the holidays. I have successfully completed one Whole30 before back in June and loved it, but due to a big move, I fell off the wagon over and over and it's time to hop back on. 

I'm an American currently living in Sweden, studying my MSc in Sports Medicine. Some challenges for me are:

1) I can't translate half the ingredients on the package, so I try to stick with what I know 

2) I share a kitchen with 13 others so I only have 1 shelf in the fridge, which means meal prepping isn't very easy 

3) I am in a huge party town. Everyone wants to go out all the time and alcohol is like my gateway drug to eating crappy, processed food. 

Look forward to keeping up with everyone's experience and sharing ideas, progress. Good luck! 

Hello all! I have begun a Whole21 today, essentially a cleanse before I head home for the holidays. I have successfully completed one Whole30 before back in June and loved it, but due to a big move, I fell off the wagon over and over and it's time to hop back on. 

I'm an American currently living in Sweden, studying my MSc in Sports Medicine. Some challenges for me are:

1) I can't translate half the ingredients on the package, so I try to stick with what I know 

2) I share a kitchen with 13 others so I only have 1 shelf in the fridge, which means meal prepping isn't very easy 

3) I am in a huge party town. Everyone wants to go out all the time and alcohol is like my gateway drug to eating crappy, processed food. 

Look forward to keeping up with everyone's experience and sharing ideas, progress. Good luck! 

just one question: U say u can't translate the ingredients. Whole30 is about clean food. Should there BE any ingredients? Vegetables, protein and water :)

About the sharing, been there done that. Crushed tomato is cheap and take up small amounts of space. Same with coconut milk. Minced meat can bee cooked and saved and add a different vegetable each week and u're easy (but boring...) paleo.

About the partying, stay strong and say no. Sparking with lime and a straw is the way to go. Dancing might even be easier!! heheh 

Excellent point! Whole30 is about minimal ingredients. It's more about things that might be whole30 approved, but might require some label reading (spices, nut butters, deli meats, etc... although I have picked up enough Swedish to know what sugar is :) ) I guess this is more incentive, to make my Whole "21" even more clean and really stick to what I know ... chicken is just chicken, an onion is an onion, etc. I also have to constantly remind myself that you Scandinavians hold your food to a much higher standard than we do, which I love! 

Oh and thank god for mince. Easy and affordable! Anyway, day 1 was a success although I found myself hungry going to bed. Part of the problem with being a poor college student is I have a tendency to ration my food and don't end up eating enough :-/ 

Hope everyone else is doing well so far! 

Excellent point! Whole30 is about minimal ingredients. It's more about things that might be whole30 approved, but might require some label reading (spices, nut butters, deli meats, etc... although I have picked up enough Swedish to know what sugar is :) ) I guess this is more incentive, to make my Whole "21" even more clean and really stick to what I know ... chicken is just chicken, an onion is an onion, etc. I also have to constantly remind myself that you Scandinavians hold your food to a much higher standard than we do, which I love! 

Oh and thank god for mince. Easy and affordable! Anyway, day 1 was a success although I found myself hungry going to bed. Part of the problem with being a poor college student is I have a tendency to ration my food and don't end up eating enough :-/ 

Hope everyone else is doing well so far! 

Try buying avocado nets for the hunger. Cheep affordable fat! And yes, Scandinavians do eat a bit cleaner. However, watch out for meet produced outside of Scandinavia. It may contain both steroids and penicillin. 

I suppose I'm also part of the Whole30 Christmas group! My family is going to get a great surprise when I show up to Christmas dinner ready for turkey-- I'd been a pescatarian for over a year, and I don't think I'll tell them I've resumed meat until I get there.

I started on the 26th of November, so today is Day 3. My sleep quality has shown marked improvement already, and I'm actually enjoying the challenge of creating new and interesting meals. None of the to-be-expected "hangover" symptoms have hit me yet. Looking forward to having so many companions in the battle against holiday treats!

Made it through Thanksgiving day fine and then learned the salad dressing had some sugar in it. Guess I have to start over. I am super bummed.

No! Accidentally having a bit of sugar is NOT grounds for a restart! If you'd had a big ol' cupcake then yes, back to day 1, don't pass go etc ;) but if you ACCIDENTALLY had a bit of sugar then no, that's not a restart.

Made it through Thanksgiving day fine and then learned the salad dressing had some sugar in it. Guess I have to start over. I am super bummed.

Lizzie, I just almost did as u. And then in the last minute I asked if it came from a bottle. And it did. So I din't...

I so got the flu today! Body heavy and kind of tight. Low concentration. And headache. And my excema ... don't get me started. Basically not a good start. Glad it's friday

t

No! Accidentally having a bit of sugar is NOT grounds for a restart! If you'd had a big ol' cupcake then yes, back to day 1, don't pass go etc ;) but if you ACCIDENTALLY had a bit of sugar then no, that's not a restart.

good to know. and to know yourself good enough that u don't 'accidentally' eat something...

Sorry you are feeling unwell, Trine. Hang in there, drink lots of nourishing bone broth and rest up!

Thanks, Roz! I won't consider it a restart. It was a delicious homemade dressing in a huge and delicious salad. When I asked my friend she said there was some sugar in it. I mostly stopped eating it then. Not completely, I'm afraid, but mostly. Fell into the trap of not wanting to offend my friend. Ugh. I hate imperfection! ;-)

Yesterday was exhausting but mostly a triumph. Hurrah!

Countdown on: Day 22.

I went to the gym this morning. At 0630 AM. Except for hiking I've not done any exercise since July. I get dizzy, headaches and muscle pain for weeks after when I strain. So, today was an experiment. If I don't feel any ill affects by this coming weekend I'll do it again next Tuesday.

Also, I had the smooth zucchini soup in Well Fed 2 last night and for breakfast today. I think I need an explanation: What is the difference between broth and stock in American English?

Hope everyone is doing ok. My goal is to complete this W30 the best way I can. And then the next one and the next one will not only go better, but I'll eat cleaner. Takes time to 'know' what is what and where to get it. AND afford it..  :-)

So, every 4th month I'll do a W30. 

Trina

Glad everyone is doing well.  I'm really enjoying eating real food again, and enjoying cooking more.  I did succumb to sharing a pudding on Saturday, and paid in that i couldnt sleep that night from the sugar.  Not beating myself up about it, just jumped back on the wagon.    Its the one time doesnt make you fall back into old habits thing and where i have failed before. no more fails here :)

Hi everyone! Happy to see such progress. Congrats on the tiger blood, Trina! 

I've been doing well myself, trying to eat more at my meals so I can stay full in between. I have battled night sweats for awhile, and I have noticed, when my diet is cleaner, they occur less frequently. I'm still having them, but I am sleeping so well lately that they aren't waking me up in the middle of the night so that's great. Although I have been having some pretty serious sugar/Whole30 cheat dreams. Love those :) 

Going to the grocery store is always a treat for me. Today I was so excited about all of the different vegetables, I could hardly decide which ones to buy. I had to tell myself I could get the others next time. I actually told my boyfriend the other day that I was craving cabbage and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. 

Good luck this week, everyone! 

craving cabbage isnt one i've heard before, unless it was irish style so fried with crunchy bacon bits and onion ......

Not feeling great today, tired, cold and a bit achy/shaky. Unsure whether its the sugar low after my weekend treat or whether i'm coming down with something ... its possible the clean eating could trigger the reasction so planning an early night tonight and hoping I'll feel much better tomorrow.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi everyone.  Sadly, I had to have a medical procedure yesterday (all is fine) and the prep included drinking sugary stuff.  So I'm back to day 1.  I have realized that it's not realistic for me to do a true Whole 30 right now -- the Hartwigs are right.  It's too much to ask at this time of year.  HOWEVER -- I am committing to limiting my off-roading to a little bit of alcohol when I'm socializing and a little bit of dairy.  I will still focus on cutting out grains and sugar, and on preparing healthy food and sleeping enough.  That's the compromise I need to make.  I'm going to hang around on this thread if it's OK with you all.  I am inspired by those of you who have the grit to go all the way!  

I've treated myself to Well Fed 2 and am looking forward to making some new recipes this week that will cover me for my at-home and at-work meals.  

Hope everyone is well.  Rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping as on track as festivities allow.  I'm finding that i dont even want sugary stuff anymore, and sweetened foods are just too sweet!!!  I honestly never thought i would be able to turn done chocolate and cakes so easily.

Planning a lovely christmas dinner for friends this weekend, all real foods and feeling so much better for avoiding fake foods.

This is the best christmas present i could have given myself I think :)

Cheers, Talie!

I had a craving last week for a sugary reward after finishing a very stressful final exam; it felt like I *deserved* to indulge after all that cortisol. I bought blackberries instead and had them in coconut milk with dinner. The moment I made that decision, I knew the sugar demon's talons had been loosened. He will never haunt me to the same extent again.

I've been asked to "help" my mother make Christmas dinner, but I'm going to take charge on a number of dishes, both to ensure that I can eat them and to secretly make everyone else eat healthier. I'll even make a SWYPO dessert that I even I can enjoy, to finish off day 30 (Dec 25) with family and celebrate my success.

Archived