Yoga help

MylaBean

I'm not sure if this has already been posted so sorry in advance. I just completed a Whole 30 last month...and it's been a bit of a struggle to get back on track. One thing I didn't do while I was on my Whole 30 was workout. I know I should of been but I was really wanting to pay attention to my food intake and prep work, things like that. Anyway I'm about to start another Whole 30 and I would like to take up Yoga. I would prefer to do it at home...better on the budget. I've never done Yoga before and I was hoping somone could recomend a good beginners DVD to me...that would be awesome. Thanks for listening.

Yoga is a tough one. It depends entirely on what your wanting. Ie, spiritual component vs athletic component vs. release component -Yin. I've tried many yoga classes and had to work hard to find the right "place" for myself. I'm saying this only because with yoga one size does not fit all.

Some things to be aware of: Most yoga flow moves at a very faster pace and beginners get frustrated because they are unsure of poses.

Next thing: if you've never done any poses with an instructor you'll have very little way of knowing if your form is correct. People can and have injured in Yoga as well.

But, having said all that here's what I'd recommend. Go to www.slobody.com

Slobody is the acronym for strengthen lengthen and open your body. Janine and Kirk (founders) give pointers on how to do poses correctly. You'll have to look for it on their website or contact them directly via email. They will respond and are delightful to work with. Tell them Alexis told you to inquire.

Once you get the basics down, go to www.yogadownload.com that website offers a huge variety of yoga classes. Membership is reasonable.

If all that is too complicated and you have On Demand on your TV, simply go there to the exercise section and they'll have offerings. But remember-get the "how to" first to be safe!

Those are good options for the videos. But food for thought: All the studios where I live offer some kind of new student deal - $30 for a month unlimited, or $10 for ten days unlimited, or something like that. It makes it pretty cost-effective to try a lot of different studios and styles. There are so many different kinds of yoga (and so many different teaching styles), AND with a DVD you never really know if you're doing it correctly - I'd really recommend at least starting with some live instruction if you can. Depending on the style of yoga, it can be pretty easy to injure yourself if you don't have someone correcting your form (yin, not so much, but a power flow practice, possibly).

Those are good options for the videos. But food for thought: All the studios where I live offer some kind of new student deal - $30 for a month unlimited, or $10 for ten days unlimited, or something like that. It makes it pretty cost-effective to try a lot of different studios and styles. There are so many different kinds of yoga (and so many different teaching styles), AND with a DVD you never really know if you're doing it correctly - I'd really recommend at least starting with some live instruction if you can. Depending on the style of yoga, it can be pretty easy to injure yourself if you don't have someone correcting your form (yin, not so much, but a power flow practice, possibly).

I could not agree more!

I started my yoga practice by attending a community education class.  It was budget friendly, and helped me understand the terms and proper form.  I eventually branched out to a program for Baptiste Vinyasa Power Yoga and LOVE it.  One of the aspects I truly appreciate is the teacher is constantly coaching all of us individually (with hands on correction if necessary).  I shared with someone recently that I would not be able to do a DVD or podcast because I need someone looking at me and saying "hey, move your knee to the right" :).

kb, me too! And you reminded me that my city's community centers do classes for $3 each all the time. Those tend to be "gentler" than the yoga studios, but that might be a good thing for someone brand new to yoga if the OP's city has anything similar.

• 1 month later...

You could also try Iyengar yoga. The emphasis on this type of yoga is proper form and alignment through detailed coaching and use of props like blocks, belts, bolsters, ropes, etc. This helps avoid injury and makes the poses available to everyone at any level. Typically a teacher will cycle through a general area of asanas each week over a month: forward bends, standing poses, back bends, twists, etc.

If you can find such a class in your area, I highly recommend it especially if you're just starting. Then when you get the hang of it, you can go less frequently and do most of your practice at home with dvds.

I would also recommend starting with some classes; alignment and posture is SO important in yoga, and you can injure yourself at the worst or not get the most benefits at the least if you are doing it incorrectly.

In addition to "new student" discounts, at least around here, there are often discounts on Groupon or Living Social for half off or extremely discounted packages. Check those out, get yourself in a studio, learn the poses correctly, and THEN you can practice on your own, or, what I prefer, mix in studio classes with working out at home.

I see you live in Cinncinnatti, Have you heard of the store Lululemon?  According to their website, they have 2 locations in that city.   Many of their locations offer free weekly yoga sessions, usually on a Sunday morning before they open, normally taught by an instructor from a local yoga center.  They cater to all levels, and you'll have someone to check your form and guide you through anything you might have trouble with.  Plus the clothes are awesome, so you could do a little shopping after.

Archived