Serious sleep deprivation/Need recs for snoring spouse

EvJaye

Hi,

Within the last 2+ months, my husband has started snoring terribly. I'm a light sleeper to begin with and I wake up at 5am most days to work out. I know the link between lack of sleep and weight gain, and I'm starting to experience it, along with stress and fatigue. Usually, on the nights I might sleep well enough to ignore the snores, I inevitably get woken up around 4am and end up sleeping cramped on the sofa in the living room. When I am laying there awake, my body is so tense because I'm on the edge waiting for him to stop snoring enough so I can fall asleep. Needless to say, I've slept through 90% of my usual morning workouts, and I find myself wanting to eat nonstop when I get home from work, both of which make me feel even worse.

A few questions:

- Anyone have recommendations for how I can sleep through the snoring? I can't use earplugs or I won't hear the alarm (not that I'm able to wake up these days anyhow. lol)

- How can I better manage the really impossibly difficult to ignore urges to snack and eat all night when I know it's fatigue? I have very little will power... and yes, I know snacking isn't W30.

- Any other tips or support ideas?

I'm really starting to lose it - not sure how much more my body/mind can take...

Thanks in advance,

Eve

• Moderators

This isn't so much a suggestion for you -- but could you get him to go do a sleep study and possibly be fitted with a c-pap machine? My dad used to drive my mom crazy snoring (and when I was younger and still living at home, I know we could hear him all over the house), his doctor finally got him to do a sleep study, he got a c-pap, and as long as he uses it, he doesn't snore. He also sleeps better and wakes more refreshed. Mom actually got one after he got his, although she never snored, and when she uses it, reports feeling better. Apparently they can be kind of awkward feeling, especially at first, but you do get used to it. 

Anyway, it was just a thought, for whatever it's worth. I hope you find a solution.

I second the recommendation for getting your husband in a sleep study.  It's important to get him assessed for sleep apnea, and whether it's mild, moderate or more serious.  Not to frighten you, but if it's on the more serious end, that means he's stopping to breathe, perhaps multiple times, during the night.

I went through this process with my husband, who was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and fitted with a c-pap machine earlier this year. That machine is a miracle - gave me my sleep back in our bed. Prior to that, there were many nights where I had to sleep on the couch just to get a decent night's sleep.

If its recent perhaps there's a trigger? Alcohol, new pillow, diet, stress, change in activity.

My OH snores terribly and all night after alcohol. If I can get to sleep before him on those nights I'm okay, otherwise like you I'm crawling up the wall. To address the fatigue cravings I try as much as possible to defeat them by having a nap or going for a walk...

Hi,

Within the last 2+ months, my husband has started snoring terribly. I'm a light sleeper to begin with and I wake up at 5am most days to work out. I know the link between lack of sleep and weight gain, and I'm starting to experience it, along with stress and fatigue. Usually, on the nights I might sleep well enough to ignore the snores, I inevitably get woken up around 4am and end up sleeping cramped on the sofa in the living room. When I am laying there awake, my body is so tense because I'm on the edge waiting for him to stop snoring enough so I can fall asleep. Needless to say, I've slept through 90% of my usual morning workouts, and I find myself wanting to eat nonstop when I get home from work, both of which make me feel even worse.

A few questions:

- Anyone have recommendations for how I can sleep through the snoring? I can't use earplugs or I won't hear the alarm (not that I'm able to wake up these days anyhow. lol)

- How can I better manage the really impossibly difficult to ignore urges to snack and eat all night when I know it's fatigue? I have very little will power... and yes, I know snacking isn't W30.

- Any other tips or support ideas?

I'm really starting to lose it - not sure how much more my body/mind can take...

Thanks in advance,

Eve

Starting snoring terribly within the past few months makes me think he needs a good work-up.  

My husband has been a horrible snorer since the day I met him.  For him, it is structural.  He is thin and fit.  What happens is that his jaw collapses into his throat, so to speak, when he relaxes and sleeps.  It is worse on his back but happens in most positions.  He will stop breathing and jerk himself awake but not enough for him to remember.  He said he didn't feel tired during the day, but the guy can fall asleep anywhere and at any time!  Sleep deprivation is horrible.  We rarely completed a night's sleep in the same room for 20 years, and I would lie awake waiting for him to start snoring.  I began to anticipate it and be unable to fall asleep.  It took its' toll on the relationship, too.  I looked forward to the nights he was on call at the hospital.  I hated to travel because we'd be stuck in a hotel room together.  A few times I went out to the car in the parking lot or shut myself in the bathroom to sleep on the floor with the fan on to cover up the noise.    Drinking beer really dialed up the volume.  I say please get him to see someone.

My husband DID finally have a sleep study after 2 failed surgeries (deviated septum repair which he needed due to old football life broken nose) and palate scarring surgery which actually made it worse.  I wish he had listened to me over the years as I said his chin collapsed into his neck when he slept.  Ah, well.  He's an MD and I am not.  lol  The sleep study didn't reveal diagnosable sleep apnea which floored me.  He then had his dentist suggest a mouth guard and HALLELUJAH it works!  90% of the time it works.  Saved us from a divorce.  I'm serious.  The appliance is super uncomfortable but he wears it both at home and when he travels with friends or sleeps in the hospital.  I'm sure I am not the only grateful person out there!  He snores loud enough to hear from across the house.  I had to close all of the doors between us and turn on a fan or the dishwasher in the kitchen to cover up the rumbling.

For those who don't live with big snorers… ear plugs do not work.  The vibrations are low and they permeate anything but noise canceling headphones (and perhaps not even those).  

OH, I unloaded here.  It has been a few years of peaceful nights which came just in time.  I hope you find some relief.  Still, if this is a new thing, ask him to get checked out.  I so understand what you are going through!  After I complained about being the one to sleep on the couch or floor, a therapist suggested an odd/even schedule of who had to leave the bed.  It both allowed me to get some sleep and made him realize the impact on me in a small way.  He wasn't too happy to leave the bed but I decided I wasn't going to feel guilty about it.

is your husband on the program? My husband used to snore terribly. He's been doing the W30 with me and has lost weight and has stopped taking his BP and cholesterol meds. We also have adjustable beds and he's sleeping with his head slightly elevated, which I think helps. He does have a deviated septum, but his snoring is really minimal now.

We both use our iPhones as sound machines. There is an app called White Noise and you put it on and it drowns out any noise. But you can also set the alarm on the phone, so you will wake up.

If your hubby's snoring is that bad, he should be seen by someone in case he does have sleep apnea.

Thank you, all! PamH your situation sounds like mine. Thanks for the insights. My husband isn't on the program (he thinks it's a joke) and he's extremely fit and active. He's a local elite level runner and seems to have great deep sleep as a result of his training. He's also stubborn as an ox and it's highly unlikely he'd ever do a sleep study. He got a full work up recently for his health insurance and everything looks great. I think it's going to be me sleeping in the other room as he's just not the type to take care of this. But if it gets to the point of a divorce-level strain, who knows. I'm definitely more optimistic at least knowing others go through this and have found solutions.

The suggest to do a warm bath or a walk in place of snacking sounds good. Thanks!

Thank you, all! PamH your situation sounds like mine. Thanks for the insights. My husband isn't on the program (he thinks it's a joke) and he's extremely fit and active. He's a local elite level runner and seems to have great deep sleep as a result of his training. He's also stubborn as an ox and it's highly unlikely he'd ever do a sleep study. He got a full work up recently for his health insurance and everything looks great. I think it's going to be me sleeping in the other room as he's just not the type to take care of this. But if it gets to the point of a divorce-level strain, who knows. I'm definitely more optimistic at least knowing others go through this and have found solutions.

The suggest to do a warm bath or a walk in place of snacking sounds good. Thanks!

Have you ever video or audio taped him while he is snoring?  It REALLY ticked my hubbie off when I did it, but maybe it won't for yours? :(

There is research out there about the health effects of sleep disturbance and snoring.  Cardiac damage.  We have similar athletic husbands and perhaps that concern for him will get him to see an orthodontist of dentist who specializes in appliances.  They can evaluate his mouth, throat, jaw and give an opinion.  Making it a medical issue might work better than making it a personal issue.  My husband was very resistant to leaving the bed until a third party suggested it.  He was put on the spot, and it made him look like an idiot if he refused to a therapist.

If you are forced to get new health care coverage, maybe you will have some dental coverage to bridge the cost.  The appliance cost him $1500.  BEST money ever spent.

I am all over this thread because it hit so close to home.  I don't think this can be laughed off or minimized.  Sorry, one of my soap box issues that I take personally (so I profusely apologize for going on and on).

• 2 years later...

My husband is a REALLY bad snorer, and has been since I met him 11 years ago. He got a CPAP last year, and it works like a charm (when he doesn't rip it off his face in the middle of the night). Ear plugs - the regular old orange ones - actually worked really well for me most nights. There were a lot of nights where the volume was too much for the plugs, and I ended up in the guest room, but for the most part they did do the trick, and I never had a problem with missing my alarm.

Archived