Trying to drink coffee

amywhole30s

Pre-Whole 30 I used to drink almond milk (the store bought with carrageenan) and agave nectar. It wasn't ideal for taste but I know dairy, particularly cream and milk is not good for my body, and I was trying to have a more natural sugar. 

Now it's post-whole 30 and I've had very little coffee in my life and I really want to reintroduce it and find a way to enjoy it. 

I think I'm going to be one of those people that needs to do a low-histamine diet, so my post whole 30 right now I'm trying to avoid nuts and seeds, and obviously less strict than the whole 30 I want to be able to meet up with friends, and having dinner with family... stuff like that without it being a BIG thing. 

Day to day, I want to be paleo/mostly whole-30. 

But there's my coffee, something that is so enjoyable to me I just want to find a way to enjoy it again.

During the whole 30 I made my own almond milk and had it dates a few times. It was okay, but my allergies really flared up.

So.... ideas on how I can love coffee again? I definitely cannot do straight up coconut milk - I had one sip of that attempt. 

How can I achieve that creamy coffee without almond milk, or a way to make the coconut milk better... it just has such a weird consistency for coffee.

Would having agave be so bad in the mornings post-whole 30? Maybe I can try it black with agave? 

Thanks!

When you added the coconut milk, did you take an immersion blender and whip it? I kid you not, it totally changes the flavor of the coffee. Every morning, I take a large measuring cup and put a scoop of cocoa powder, a teaspoon of local raw honey, a few drops peppermint oil, about 1/4 cup half and half (or coconut milk) and about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. I add my hot coffee on top, let the coconut oil melt a bit, then blitz with the stick blender until it's frothy and mixed really well. I usually have to put it in the microwave to warm it back up at this point, then pour it into a large mug. 

If I just used the half and half, it would be too strong for me, but somehow whipping the coconut oil into it does something magical and makes the coffee smooth, creamy, and much milder tasting. I can even drink it without the honey if I'm doing a whole30, and I HATE coffee without loads of cream and sugar usually.

I do 1/2 T grassfed butter (or clarified butter/ghee), 2 T coconut milk, and 1 T cocoa powder, whipped up with a stick blender. I never even liked coffee before this year, and now I will cry if I can't have my cup every morning!

Coconut oil in the immersion blender also works and totally Whole30 compliant. Ghee tastes weird to me, but butter is much nicer (not W30 compliant though).

Cold brew coffee is also worth a try if you want to drink it black but don't like the taste. It somehow makes it taste sweeter or less bitter and you can still drink it hot. Good instructions on Stuff I Make My Husband blog.

• 4 weeks later...

I second the immersion blender.  I found a $20 one at Williams Sonoma a few years ago and just bought a replacement (Ozeri brand) on Amazon a few months ago.  Battery powered.  The rechargeable one sucks.  I can't remember the brand name of the first one I had… Bon jour I think ?

It REALLY makes a creamy cup if you use enough fat (doesn't take much, though).  I love the coconut milk that way; from the can not the carton in the milk section.  Same with ghee and coconut oil but a mix of the 2 or 3 is best.

And quality coffee is important.  Love my french press

Have you tried a better quality coffee?  I was a die-hard whole cream/sugar coffee drinker and a few years ago I had some coffee black at a party and it was like heaven in a cup.  It was a gourmet coffee and was the most delicious thing ever.  I started buying different types of coffee to try and since then have only had black coffee.  Might be worth a try..

I was thinking of going around one of these days and trying coffee at various local coffee shops to see if I like any of them better. I'm sure part of the problem I have with coffee is that I've only ever had crappy grocery store coffee.

I just started drinking coffee this year. I cold brew it, and add butter/ghee and chocolate powder. I have probably tried about 10 different brands now, and could never taste a difference. Maybe it's from what I'm adding? The only time I noticed the coffee was different was when I tried a medium roast - YUCK. I can only handle the light roasts I guess. I think the darker the better for coffee snobs? I am a novice at this. :D

Or even consider a french press over a drip coffee maker.  I'm a convert, and apparently a snob because I love the dark roasts!  Some roasters taste like they've burned the coffee so I second the idea of trying different brands (buy organic, please!  Heavy pesticide use in coffee bean growing) to see if you find a blend you actually enjoy.

I absolutely LOVE crio bru (cacao beans).  They have a chocolately flavor and I don't think they need anything to make them 'creamy' compared to coffee beans.  I mix it with my regular coffee grounds

www.criobru.com

coconut oil, coconut cream (canned from an asian market) and blended with a mini blender has made me completely forget how I used to love coffee with light dairy cream.  it's frothy and creamy and oh-so satisfying!  and i drink only decaf ;)

Reading all these posts, I was skeptical. I love, love, love my coffee with real cream. In fact, that and pizza are really the only things I REALLY miss during a whole 30. Well, today I decided to give this a try and I am very sorry I doubted you all and waited so long to try this. I am sitting here watching the playoffs and enjoying a cup of coffee. Life should always be this good!!

Thank you ALL!!!

I just tried vanilla powder in my coffee and it is good. I am not into flavored creamers (obviously not on for the Whole30) they are way too sweet for me. But the vanilla powder is good with coconut milk. Don't use vanilla extract, that is not Whole30 compliant. I was able to get my vanilla powder in the Bulk Herb section of Sprouts. Or you may have to order on line. I also tried a cup with cinnamon and vanilla that was ok. I haven't tried blending my coffee. It's hard to make that much noise at 3:00 am.

Aaarrgghh!

I hold this post responsible for my serious coffee cravings! And yes, I know coffee is allowed, but I'm detoxing from that too, so not for me, and yet I went and read about the caramel latte style coffee with coconut milk and ghee.

And now I can't stop thinking about it! I want it. Now!

I've written and talked a lot more about it here Day 9 and examined the sneaky way coffee cravings get to work on you in today's post.

When the 30 days are up I'm so trying this!
IanB

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried vanilla powder in my coffee and it is good. I am not into flavored creamers (obviously not on for the Whole30) they are way too sweet for me. But the vanilla powder is good with coconut milk. Don't use vanilla extract, that is not Whole30 compliant. I was able to get my vanilla powder in the Bulk Herb section of Sprouts. Or you may have to order on line. I also tried a cup with cinnamon and vanilla that was ok. I haven't tried blending my coffee. It's hard to make that much noise at 3:00 am.

Tina, I use a metal, manual milk frother so that I don't make so much noise. I put coconut oil in (my husband uses coconut milk), my coffee, and then froth away. It works beautifully and isn't noisy at all. (I bought mine online, but I'm sure you can find one at most kitchen stores.) I also ordered a new frothing wand (IKEA sells them for like $1) because my old one gave out before I could try it on the oil. I needed something to take to the office, so I'll see how this goes!

Tina, I use a metal, manual milk frother so that I don't make so much noise. I put coconut oil in (my husband uses coconut milk), my coffee, and then froth away. It works beautifully and isn't noisy at all. (I bought mine online, but I'm sure you can find one at most kitchen stores.) I also ordered a new frothing wand (IKEA sells them for like $1) because my old one gave out before I could try it on the oil. I needed something to take to the office, so I'll see how this goes!

Archived