Peanut Oil in my Cashews - Do I need to Start over?

monkeygirl

Argh.

21 days into my Whole30 and just accidentally ate cashews (maybe 2 servings) that had peanut oil and/or cottonseed oil.  I don't know why, but I didn't even think about it.

Honestly, I can tell too because my stomach hurts.  Normally, I'm not very aware of my body, but maybe that's one benefit of eating so clean for 3 weeks.  It hurts.

Do I need to start over??

I think I might cry if I have to.

While I like & understand the Whole30 program, I feel very psychologically restricted.  As someone who's suffered from eating disorders, that's a *real* challenge.  I am not hungry (at all - in fact, it's a problem), I have plenty of energy and I feel great - but I also look forward to the opportunity to do things like eat out and follow an 80/20 plan rather than 100% all the time.

Perfection is exhausting.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind they made your stomach hurt, you may have had a peek into your peanut reintro.

I so wanted peanuts to be okay for me, but they're really not. Fortunately I can have lots of other nuts and now love macadamia butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter etc. I thought I'd miss them, but I don't at all now.

• 1 year later...

oh man..the same thing just happened to me. i bought some unsalted cashews from Vons. I just ate a few and saw the ingredients (has peanut oil) and thought oh crap.. Well I am glad to I don't need to start over but just gotta be careful next time

On 4/30/2015 at 1:47 PM, Schnauzy said:

oh man..the same thing just happened to me. i bought some unsalted cashews from Vons. I just ate a few and saw the ingredients (has peanut oil) and thought oh crap.. Well I am glad to I don't need to start over but just gotta be careful next time

Note that you were looking of a post of mine from back in 2013.

Since then, we now direct folks to this article to review and decide whether to restart.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This exact same thing just happened to me!!  I only had ONE cashew before I thought maybe I should check the ingredients list and sure enough, PEANUT OIL.  I'm not going to start over, but I will extend my 30 days out to 33 (I'm only on Day 3).  @monkeygirl may not be following this anymore, but I felt like I was going to cry as well.  I've been a label reader long before the Whole30 but, aside from sugar, never considered nuts would have something forbidden (I realized an organic spice I was going to use last night had rice concentrate in it - ugh!  I realized this before I used it, but really?  It was chili powder.  I also noticed this in my organic garlic salt.  Ugh.)

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 1:49 PM, GFChris said:

Note that you were looking of a post of mine from back in 2013.

Since then, we now direct folks to this article to review and decide whether to restart.

This "article" link doesn't work.  I know this is an older post, but can it be updated?

Thanks @SugarcubeOD!  I did read this in the book but forgot about it.  I'm going with #5.  If I went off plan on purpose or took a "break" to eat a certain meal or snack, or whatever (which I wouldn't do), I would restart.  I'll still try to push it out longer than the initial 30 days but I'm going to try to not feel guilty about it.  For me, paranoia is a big emotion I didn't anticipate as part of the Whole30.  I'm worried I'm going to eat something wrong (check), worried I'm not getting enough fat, worry, worry, worry.  I think the Whole30 is much more emotional for me than any other diet I've tried.  I'm just worried all the time and it's not a good feeling!

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

Thanks @SugarcubeOD!  I did read this in the book but forgot about it.  I'm going with #5.  If I went off plan on purpose or took a "break" to eat a certain meal or snack, or whatever (which I wouldn't do), I would restart.  I'll still try to push it out longer than the initial 30 days but I'm going to try to not feel guilty about it.  For me, paranoia is a big emotion I didn't anticipate as part of the Whole30.  I'm worried I'm going to eat something wrong (check), worried I'm not getting enough fat, worry, worry, worry.  I think the Whole30 is much more emotional for me than any other diet I've tried.  I'm just worried all the time and it's not a good feeling!

I"m so sorry to hear you're having trouble with paranoia and worry.  We honestly don't want you taking this quuuite so seriously.  It's just food.  meat, veggies and fat 3 times a day.  The more you stay away from packaged or processed foods, the less you need to concern yourself with ingredients, which may assuage your worry?

Lets talk about whether you're getting enough fat and any other worries you have that we can try and help with.  Are your meals lasting you 4-5 hours between?  If so, you're likely getting enough.  If not, then lets take a look at what you're eating and see if we can't tweak things a bit.  Were you wanting to eat those dispenser nuts because you were hungry or because they were there/boredum?

What else are you worried about?  Let us/me help you because being worried is a terrible feeling... I have personal experience with that and it doesn't feel nice :(

@SugarcubeODThanks so much for your help!

You're exactly right.  I grabbed some cashews and some apple slices to get through the afternoon.  I usually eat lunch between 12-1 and don't start making dinner until 5.  Eating a snack in between lunch and dinner helps me to get through dinner preparation without losing my mind (and grabbing things I shouldn't have to "hold me over" until dinner is ready.  Not getting enough good fats into every meal I think has been a problem of mine for a while.  I don't eat enough fat and then I'm hungry too often which leads to snacking.  Instead of the cashews yesterday I settled for almonds (with the apple slices) and then when I got home I had a hard boiled egg with some Tessamae's ranch dressing, and it still wasn't quite enough.  I prepared Melissa's Hash (can't remember the name) and it wasn't too time consuming to cook (and it tasted great!) but I was irritable because I was hungry.

For breakfast I had coffee (with Whole30-friendly creamer), some scrambled eggs, onion and chicken sausage (cooking in ghee).  For lunch I had chili and then the rest as described above.

This morning I tried something different.  In my coffee I put some coconut cream and cinnamon in it.  That was much better than the "creamer" I've been using.  But I also did a workout and then haven't had anything else to eat!  I'm planning to have apple slices with almond butter, and then the chili again for lunch.

I'm wondering if it's okay/weird to eat a tablespoon of coconut cream just by itself if I'm feeling I'm not getting enough fat.  I'd like to just be able to get a quick dose if I'm in a hurry rather than making a meal.  Or is there something else?

Thanks so much for your help!  I'm feeling better about things today.  :)

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

@SugarcubeODThanks so much for your help!

You're exactly right.  I grabbed some cashews and some apple slices to get through the afternoon.  I usually eat lunch between 12-1 and don't start making dinner until 5.  Eating a snack in between lunch and dinner helps me to get through dinner preparation without losing my mind (and grabbing things I shouldn't have to "hold me over" until dinner is ready. Up your breakfast and lunch quantities so that you can get five hours between meals... Not getting enough good fats into every meal I think has been a problem of mine for a while. Definitely going to be impactful to your satiety and whether you need to snack I don't eat enough fat and then I'm hungry too often which leads to snacking.  Instead of the cashews yesterday I settled for almonds (with the apple slices) and then when I got home I had a hard boiled egg with some Tessamae's ranch dressing, and it still wasn't quite enough.  The hardboiled egg and dressing is a perfect mini meal... steer towards fat and protein for eating between meals instead of fruit and nuts and then make each meal bigger until you don't need to snack.I prepared Melissa's Hash (can't remember the name) and it wasn't too time consuming to cook (and it tasted great!) but I was irritable because I was hungry.

For breakfast I had coffee (with Whole30-friendly creamer), some scrambled eggs, onion and chicken sausage (cooking in ghee).  For lunch I had chili and then the rest as described above.

This morning I tried something different.  In my coffee I put some coconut cream and cinnamon in it.  That was much better than the "creamer" I've been using.  But I also did a workout and then haven't had anything else to eat!  I'm planning to have apple slices with almond butter, and then the chili again for lunch. Make sure you're eating post workout meals (lean protein and starchy carb, no fat).  The idea is not so starve yourself... we want you eating three hearty meals a day PLUS pre and post workout depending on the frequency and intensity of your workouts.

I'm wondering if it's okay/weird to eat a tablespoon of coconut cream just by itself if I'm feeling I'm not getting enough fat.  I'd like to just be able to get a quick dose if I'm in a hurry rather than making a meal.  Or is there something else? In a pinch, yes, but don't use that coconut cream to prop up sugar cravings/treats cravings and try and put some protein with it... 

Thanks so much for your help!  I'm feeling better about things today. I'm so glad!  :)

@SugarcubeOD - thank you for taking your time to respond to my post.  It's super helpful!  I actually don't really crave sugar, it's more a craving of fat.  I did the Keto diet briefly and felt the same way...I would crave fat.  (The keto diet wasn't that successful for me because I really missed fruit and didn't like all the artificial sweeteners! - Whole30 fixes that.)

Is the coconut cream okay in my daily coffee?  I have one cup per day.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

@SugarcubeOD - thank you for taking your time to respond to my post.  It's super helpful!  I actually don't really crave sugar, it's more a craving of fat.  I did the Keto diet briefly and felt the same way...I would crave fat.  (The keto diet wasn't that successful for me because I really missed fruit and didn't like all the artificial sweeteners! - Whole30 fixes that.)

Yes, you bet!  Sounds delicious!

1 hour ago, angiej936 said:

I am on Whole30 #5 and FINALLY bought some Nutpods for my coffee (half almond milk, half coconut milk), and they are delicious! I highly reccomend!

https://www.amazon.com/nutpods-Coffee-Creamer-Unsweetened-Variety/dp/B01F2PYV20/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1496778765&sr=1-2&keywords=nutpods

@LuLu1992

The Nutpods were almost at the top of my Whole30 shopping list because I usually enjoy almond milk and stevia but since stevia is off limits, I thought the Nutpods sounded good.  I bought the French Vanilla and really don't like it at all.  Maybe a different flavor would be better, but the coconut cream and cinnamon this morning was really good.  I'll probably stick with that.

Archived