Starting today: 11/25/2013

jclheidbrink

Today is Day 1 of my Whole30 :) Fancy how it ends on December 24th, just in time for Christmas goods in case I'm interested in some cake!

I've tried (and failed) to do the Whole30 countless times before, I've always started but the furthest I've ever gone was 15 days. Somewhere in between, I seem to lose all motivation and drive to proceed with consistency, so I figured that posting in this forum might give me some sense of accountability :)

Really looking forward to ending this year without any unhealthy attachment to food, fingers crossed!

I totally logged on to see if anyone was starting on a day that would take them through Thanksgiving and Christmas. You are close!! 

I'm sorry to hear you've not made it past 15 before. What stopped you? Motivation you said? Were you not feeling good, or did you have sugar cravings? Or did you go out to eat with friends and not want to fight the stigma?? I think accountability and immersing yourself in it by checking in on other people doing it via blogs, forum, email, are what has helped me to keep moving forward. That feeling like people are behind me!

Also knowing the why? Why are you doing this? 

:) Happy Day1!!

Hi jclheidbrink! My name is KJ and I'm starting over today, lol. Started last week (first attempt) and went off the rails yesterday at a funeral. I would love to be part of your accountability team and have you as part of mine. And the timing is toooo funny - though I'm hoping to do a slow reintroduction phase starting Christmas rather than a full on food fest!

I'm getting married Dec. 31st and wanted additional motivation to keep slimming down through the holidays. AND, increasing my awareness about what I'm eating is an added benefit. I've always wanted to try the Whole30 program and now seemed like a perfect time. Got a copy of It Starts with Food to accompany my 30 days... good to have an additional dose of info while going through the process. 

Habits are changing.... I always have these tasty gluten free crackers as a snack and am missing those right now...:( 

Looking forward to reading about everyone's process. 

Happy eating!!

Julie 

I'm getting married Dec. 31st and wanted additional motivation to keep slimming down through the holidays. AND, increasing my awareness about what I'm eating is an added benefit. I've always wanted to try the Whole30 program and now seemed like a perfect time. Got a copy of It Starts with Food to accompany my 30 days... good to have an additional dose of info while going through the process. 

Habits are changing.... I always have these tasty gluten free crackers as a snack and am missing those right now... :(

Looking forward to reading about everyone's process. 

Happy eating!!

Julie 

I love your forum name! Classic! Yummy crackers! I find that crackers for me are usually about cheese, or about my need for hand to mouth movements (snacking). Wishing you strength in this area, keep channeling that perfect wedding day that is headed your direction!

Hi jclheidbrink! My name is KJ and I'm starting over today, lol. Started last week (first attempt) and went off the rails yesterday at a funeral. I would love to be part of your accountability team and have you as part of mine. And the timing is toooo funny - though I'm hoping to do a slow reintroduction phase starting Christmas rather than a full on food fest!

I had to start over on my first attempt as well, I made it 4 days. I was trying to just do it on the down low. Once I added in the accountability piece it actually started to get fun. Immersion always helps with me! 

I'm so sorry about your loss, I can understand how grief and stress would be hard to maintain Whole30 through.

I'm not missing crackers but my Christmas celebration will be a piece of fine aged cheese, my favorite dairy :P It helps to know you had a startover too,  Sonja-goSonja... and best wishes to you, Julie-itsallforthedress (is that the wedding dress we're talking about? way to motivate!!). I'll work extra hard to help you look good on that important day!

I'm starting today too! I logged on to see if anyone else would be doing a Whole30 through Thanksgiving and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. 

My first Whole30 was over the summer and I absolutely loved how I felt at the end of it.  I'm in high school and play extremely competitive soccer.  By the end of my Whole30 this summer I was leaner and faster then I had ever been before.  I had boundless energy and was amazed at how much quicker I felt on the field.  However, once school started I slowly slipped back into less than stellar eating habits.  My two sources of motivation for starting this Whole30 are the following: First, I want to get back to feeling as great as I did this summer.  Along with that, I want to try and maintain a paleo lifestyle better than I have since school started.  Second, I have a very important showcase three days after Christmas.  I want to go into that showcase feeling as lean, mean, and confident as possible. 

So that's where I'm coming from! I'm excited to hear about other people starting today as well.  I hope you all have understanding family and friends for Thanksgiving.  I'm confident that I'll be perfectly happy through the holiday only because my parents are 100% supportive of my choices.

Thanks for reading!  :)

Hello all -

Take a look at the Christmas Whole30 thread.  A few of us also started on Nov 25.  

I did a Whole30 over the summer and felt great but have slipped in and out and ended up more out than in.  And feeling lousy.  Although in some ways it seemed nuts to start Thanksgiving week, that actually can be a very paleo friendly meal for me so I decided to take the plunge.  

Wishing you all very good luck.  I love the way this forum helps people support each other!

Lizzie

Hiya I started a few days ago, but know its for the good as the tins of candy start popping up in the office from now and you can never just take one, so i'll be having none!

Cheese and crackers is a guilty secret of mine too and i will be looking forward to that indulgence at the end of this round also.  I need more to eat clean than anything and really notice the difference after eating rubbish for a few days (its never just a one day slip!!)

Good luck everyone :)

T-minus 2 days!!! I hope everyone is getting their ducks in a row for the big day! For those of you that have done Whole30 before, what is it that pulls you back to non30 land? It seems like such a slippery slope and one that most people who do Whole 30 end up on. Do you think it's because so much was restricted and there was no moderation??

T-minus 2 days!!! I hope everyone is getting their ducks in a row for the big day! For those of you that have done Whole30 before, what is it that pulls you back to non30 land? It seems like such a slippery slope and one that most people who do Whole 30 end up on. Do you think it's because so much was restricted and there was no moderation??

So far so good! I'm actually very excited for Thanksgiving because my mom and I are going to fix some Whole30 compliant dishes that I've never had before so I can't wait to try them! What does everyone plan on having for Thanksgiving? 

To answer your question about what pulls me out of Whole30ing: chocolate.  Dark chocolate specifically, but really anything sweet.  I successfully made it through my first Whole30 without breaking, but as soon as it was over I was a little too happy to be reunited with my favorite food...  I definitely think I went overboard because it was so restricted.  When this Whole30 is over I'm going to try and not go so crazy off track. I think having a small square of dark chocolate every now and then is going to be my best bet for satisfying my sweet tooth but not totally falling apart.

My slippery slope is not a particular food. It's fatigue and habit. It's too familiar to day "just this once." So that's my personal struggle.

I'm excited about my family's Thanksgiving menu! Turkey is a no-brainer, and we do lots of veggies roasted in olive oil (I haven't gotten me turned on to coconut oil yet!), a big salad, crudités with drinks before, fruit to go with dessert. This year there will also be potato pancakes, tha I will skip because they are made with flour. Because I'm gluten intolerant I asked the baker in the family NOT to make a special pie for me. Oh, and I've tried the W30 cranberry sauce, made with apple juice, dried figs, and orange. I plan to eat a proper breakfast so I'm not starving, we eat dinner at around 5, and then I can have a small meal of soup if I'm hungry before bed. As I've said before, the only thing I will miss is some nice wine with dinner. Oh well. It's worth it.

Got through yesterday pretty well. I accidentally ate a little sugar in a salad dressing my friend had prepared, and probably too much fruit sweetened stuff altogether, but I feel quite proud of how I managed. I'm going out to lunch today with friends and I hope to find something that feels indulgent without being out of bounds so that I don't end up in a feeling-deprived-backlash. It's a beautiful day and a long weekend, so I hope that's enough to keep the sugar dragon quiet!

Archived