Day 25 and a bit of a mess

whatjosaid

Hi all,

I'm on day 25 and not quite feeling the tiger blood. 

Yes, I'm sleeping more but my workouts still feel a little sludgy (I juggle CrossFit, Bikram yoga and running six days a week). I feel like I've lost some fat around my waist (I was a big wine drinker pre W30). However, my digestion is a mess (not going every day), I have spots (around my hairline and chin and I never have spots normally), I also have a cold sore (I get these when I'm stressed but I have no reason to stress right now) and my period has started half way through my pill pack (I'm on Yasmin).

I am following AIP due to a lazy thyroid and mild inflammatory arthritis. And I was diagnosed with PCOS many years ago.  So I'm planning to push for W45 or W60 to really get some results. But, please help, I feel like a bloated spotty wreck right now! Does this sound right? I should feel better by now, right?

Jo. 

Bloating can affect everyone differently. Have you tried digestive enzymes and/or fermented foods?

Can you post 2-3 days' worth of your food log, so folks here can give you feedback on what you've been eating? Include pre and post workout foods, and your level of daily water consumption.

If you are not going every day, try some Natural Calm (unflavored variety) at bedtime. Start with a low dosage 1/2 tsp, say, and work up to a dose that is effective. The directions, I believe, say 1-1 1/2 heaping tsp, but most find that is too much to start. This will help with having a bm.

Hi all - thank you for your comments. Here are some responses:

I'm taking two digestive enzymes with each meal (Now Super Enzymes). I started taking Natural calm (half a teaspoon) before bed and it had a negative impact on my sleep patterns. I have started taking it mid afternoon instead (maybe I should increase the dose?). 

As for my menstrual cycle, I was reassured to see so many others had the same experience - I just wondered if anyone else had a breakthrough bleed on the pill (sorry if tmi). 

Next, here's a typical day of food for me:

Breakfast: 

Pork chops

Butternut squash

Red cabbage

Spring greens

2 carrots

Olive oil 

Lunch:

Mackerel

Anchovies

Red cabbage

Spring greens

Olive oil 

Dinner

Beef 

Onion 

Broccoli 

Red cabbage

Avocado oil 

Post WOD is normally pork chop or chicken with butternut squash.

I'm drinking 3-4 litres of water a day and max three coffees sometimes with coconut milk. 

How does that sound? 

I'd suggest decreasing the cabbage and broccoli and increasing the less fibrous vegies. I've noticed that has a huge impact in my digestion. You may need more enzymes, but also consider including HCL - I have that along with the enzymes and have found it to make a bigger difference.

Natural calm may not be the best option for you - I've not taken it myself, but there are a few posts on magnesium where people suggest alternatives as, like you, the natural calm didn't work for them at night.

I'd suggest decreasing the cabbage and broccoli and increasing the less fibrous vegies. I've noticed that has a huge impact in my digestion. You may need more enzymes, but also consider including HCL - I have that along with the enzymes and have found it to make a bigger difference.

Natural calm may not be the best option for you - I've not taken it myself, but there are a few posts on magnesium where people suggest alternatives as, like you, the natural calm didn't work for them at night.

Ok, great. I'll try this. Which brand of HCL do you use? Now Foods? 

Also, forgive my ignorance, but could you give me more examples of good less fibrous veggies?

Thank you!

Ok, great. I'll try this. Which brand of HCL do you use? Now Foods?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but could you give me more examples of good less fibrous veggies?

Thank you!

I use now HCL...

Starchies are generally less fibrous (different, less irritating fibre), salady vegetables are generally less fibrous (lettuce, cucumber, tomato), also zucchini, asparagus.

You can make the other vegies less irritating by not using stalks, and cooking well. Peeling vegies often helps, although then you also lose the nutrients when you remove the skin.

• 2 months later...
Guest Wheat on Trial

Hey there - found this post through a google search to see what others were feeling on day 25. I am also not feeling all that great on day 25. Interested to hear if you decided to extend beyond 30 days and how it worked out for you.

Hey there - found this post through a google search to see what others were feeling on day 25. I am also not feeling all that great on day 25. Interested to hear if you decided to extend beyond 30 days and how it worked out for you.

Hi! You'll be pleased to know that it did get a lot better! I'm now on day 99 and I'm feeling pretty good. So stick with it and go beyond 30 days to give your body the chance to reap the benefits. You're obviously the judge of how long that takes. I'm still not 100% there with my digestive system and so I'm experimenting with FODMAPS for example. That said, I have absolutely no intention of going back to my old ways any time soon. This feels normal now  :)

When you say 'not great', can you be more specific? 

Guest Wheat on Trial

That's encouraging! The only problem is that my husband is doing this with me and he's ready to be done - I don't think he bought into it like I did. So I plan to do the reintroduction phase with him next week, and then go back to Whole 30 - he can have Whole 30 compliant meals with me after that, and then he can feel free to eat whatever he wants when we don't have meals together.

No tiger blood, no weight loss (as far as I can tell - my clothes seem to fit the same), still battling some cravings and fighting problems with binge eating that I had beforehand... I suppose my expectations were pretty high, but I don't feel like this has been a dramatic life changing event for me so far.

If you're still battling cravings, is it a good idea to try reintroduction at this stage? Can you stay on it while your husband does his own reintroduction? I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think maybe you should hang in there a bit longer. That said, something miraculous happened on day 28 for me. I remember feeling like I'd dropped a dress size over night. That's just three days away for you! 

Guest Wheat on Trial

OK! I will stay optimistic for day 28, which would be Sunday (a day I need it as I usually do bodyworks and yoga). I do need to write up my log today and I think I will focus on some of the positives I have noticed - maybe not tiger blood or finally hitting my goal weight, but there are some minor changes that I like.

The only reason I will do it with my husband is to help keep food costs down. We've already had to up our food budget to do the Whole 30, and if I'm buying things that only he's using (dairy) that will expire.. well, I just don't want to waste anything. There's other food items that we have on hand that will also be expiring - we hung on to them because they are still good, but figure it's time to reintroduce so that they don't go to waste.

Stuff like that I won't be buying anymore after this experience, though. Will be much easier for me to do a whole 30 (or 60... or 90!) in the future.

Thanks again for your support - I'll let you know how Day 28 goes :)

Guest Wheat on Trial

Just wanted to check in -  it's early on day 27, but I felt the need to share how excited I am.

I woke up at 4am (typical) with energy (atypical). If it wasn't cold and dark, I would have started my day then - but decided to stay warm and cozy. Got out of bed at about 6:45 (I'm usually up and out by 7am everyday, even on the weekends.)

could it be... tiger blood??! Maybe it's just the weekend talking. Or maybe it's my new found positive approach to the changes I have noticed. But feeling much better :)

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Archived