How to avoid the gas/bloating from cruciferous vegetables?

Emily T

Its that time of year! Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts are taking over my farmers market. But no matter what, whenever I eat them I am overcome by serious bloating and gas. This happens whether they are cooked or raw. I don't want to avoid these vegetables, especially during this time of year, as they are some of my favorites. Is there anything I can do to avoid the gas? Its really a problem for me!

Digestive enzymes, HCL, cooking them ridiculously well and not including too many at one meal is what works for me.

I love them too and could quite happily eat a plate piled high with steamed broccoli covered in coconut oil and sea salt, Brussels and roasted in ghee, cauli leek purée and sautéed cabbage. The after effects would be revolting though, so I don't go there anymore!

They are all FODMAPS and you likely have a sensitivity to them. I'm not sure that digestive enzymes or cooking them more will help. The issue is frutcan, which is in all cruciferious veggies, onions, garlic and avocados and also wheat. I don't know if there is an enzyme that can help you digest frutcan.

Try limiting them. I have IBS so I avoid most of them. I seem to tolerate caluliflower for some reason. It's worth experimenting to see how much you can tolerate before the symptoms get very bad.

Archived