START DATE: 26th November

mishellakinsella

Hi everyone,

Did anyone start today? looks like ill being doing the whole30 for christmas...dont know if i planned that well enough...if anyone who is starting today/ yesterday/ tom would like to check in here this could be our little support network :)

look forward to meeting everyone

Michelle

PS. LOL@"inspirational/ congratulation" video #wants to watch mighty ducks!! :P

Hi Mishella!

I've also started today. I've been pescatarian for over a year and while the increase in vegetables in my diet has certainly been beneficial, I've have noticed persistent skin, bloating, and weight gain issues that I have a sneaking suspicion are related to my reliance on grains and legumes (especially soy) for protein.

Whole30 seemed like the perfect reason to test that hypothesis. I'm looking forward to the next 29 days!

Hey cch (we seriously cant be the only 2?!) maybe they need to up the advertising or something. but i also have been pondering it over for the last year.

I previously have done 1 round of hcg and it worked really well though it doesnt really work with my lifestyle anymore. I wanted something i could commit to and refer to rather than just doing 100% paleo for 30 days.

My goals are mainly health and fitness related (overweight and need to get fit and the general feel good naked business-haha)

I feel a day ahead, because im from Perth, where are you from?

I'm from Canada, so you are quite a bit ahead of me!

Let me know when the fabled day 2-3 hangover kicks in because I've not been feeling it yet ;)

I'm glad I'll have at least one buddy going through it with me, day by day. This morning I had some land-walking meat for the first time in over a year and was delighted to find that I still had a taste for it and no trouble digesting it.

I've just looked into hcg, having had no idea what it was. Injections coupled with an ultra-low calorie diet can't be healthy. Better to fill yourself up on good wholesome things!

Do you have a workout regime as well? I know that Whole30 was meant to be supplemented with regular exercise but I don't have time for much more than the occasional trip to the pool and home exercises with resistance bands.

Helloa Typikalmom!!

(OMG i just spelt out in my head what you nic name is?! [facepalm]

IM assuming your a mum, have you converted your family including your kids?

Time difference wise i basically get the email late afternoon so i can hit that i did it button :)

I think in America and Canada HCG is different than in Aussie. The one i did anyway. We dont have injections its homeopathic and its through Cyndi Omeara, Changing Habits and Changing Lives. They also have a hunter gatherer program which is basically the same as this. i lost about 10kg on it with no exercise for 42 days.

Todays email went through what it is to be expected but i havent felt anything besides feeling a bit tired- which is basically my norm espescially since i have exams at the moment.

So what are everyones goals

I've never done any weight loss programs before, as I'm a pretty small person already. The increasingly common bloating and other digestive issues I'd been experiencing since going pescatarian was a real self-esteem kicker, though. Then I (re)started birth control and had a particularly stressful semester, and it all got worse: my skin quality tanked, I was binge-eating at night after stressful days, I was snacking a lot and craving gluten and sugar, I had a particularly bad depression.... Basically, I just got out of control.

My goals for Whole30 are pretty broad:

1) I want to first see whether I can get rid of the bloating and skin issues without going off birth control, because I plan to have exactly zero children and don't like taking needless risks. The more I learn about soy, the more icky I feel for having relied so much on it.

2) Though my meals were always fairly healthy before (though perhaps with more gluten than necessary...), I want to work myself into a habit of healthier eating patterns that exclude cravings and snacking and relying on food for stress relief. I want a solid 3-meal cycle of hunger and satisfaction, so that my body makes the best use of the energy I give it.

3) Relatedly, I want to form better habits for my response to stress. I'm in academia, so the stress isn't going away, but I won't make it very far if I have sugar-loaded self-loathing breakdowns when the waters get rough.

4) I want to slay the sugar dragon for good, after two decades of being stalked by it. I want to be able to have some chocolate or a cupcake on special occasions and not feel like I've injected and need another hit, now. This has always been a problem for me.

5) I have mild bipolar, and I've heard that many have felt more emotionally stable on this diet. It's not a goal, but I'll be thrilled and quite inclined to long-term habit if it helps me in this area.

I don't really care whether I *lose weight,* though I am hoping for a fitter body than the one the birth control ballooning and a string of bad decisions under stress have left me with. From what I've read, the latter is almost always an outcome of Whole30, so I'm not worrying about it.

What about your goals, Mishella??

It's now the middle of day 3 and I've not felt anything but great; no headaches or crankiness or fatigue. A bit of bloating, but I'm used to that ;) I have an app on my phone that tracks my sleep quality, and the change between 4 days ago and now is silly. I didn't expect my sleep to get better so quickly, but I'm thrilled that it has.

Ive had 2 kids. started at 55kg went up to 93+ before i stopped looking :( down to 67 but really wanting to hit 60 before the new year! So thats my goal. I have an apple body shape aswell so i carry it all through my middle!!

Before HCG i didnt think i had any reactions to any food really, i still cant notice and bloating or anything or a change in my skin. But im starting to think i do sufffer inflammation (slowly) from gluten. Ive never been a fan of coke or basically any sugary drinks. I only have water tea and coffee.

Generally my diet is pretty bad. IM starting to realise that. Recently ive turned to taking heaps of vitamins and have seen i huge change in my energy but would prefer that came from my food intake.

Hows your meal plan looking like. i need to find some more breakfast ideas!

Ive had 2 kids. started at 55kg went up to 93+ before i stopped looking :( down to 67 but really wanting to hit 60 before the new year! So thats my goal. I have an apple body shape aswell so i carry it all through my middle!!

Before HCG i didnt think i had any reactions to any food really, i still cant notice and bloating or anything or a change in my skin. But im starting to think i do sufffer inflammation (slowly) from gluten. Ive never been a fan of coke or basically any sugary drinks. I only have water tea and coffee.

Generally my diet is pretty bad. IM starting to realise that. Recently ive turned to taking heaps of vitamins and have seen i huge change in my energy but would prefer that came from my food intake.

Hows your meal plan looking like. i need to find some more breakfast ideas!

Stop thinking of meal 1 as breakfast and you have endless possibilities :) it may seem unusual at first, but you may find you'll start to love having different combos first thing. I never get sick of eggs with vegies in various combos, but have also had curry, soup, protein with salad etc in the morning :)

Hi, everyone! I started a Whole21 (just to kick myself back into gear before I head to Hawaii for the holidays--don't plan on going crazy, but maybe having a drink or two with my mum). I've been living in Sweden for the last few months and have been struggling to find balance in my new life as a grad student. Working on it though. 

On day 3 currently. Had trouble sleeping last night and felt a little rundown this morning, but assuming my body is just in shock at the moment. Also, I do struggle to eat enough, in that I'm always rationing food because I'm alarmed at how much I spend on groceries each month :) ... so my goal this time around is to make sure I'm eating enough and staying full (I think it's a lot easier to maintain this lifestyle when you don't feel deprived...) 

Cheers! 

I have read that before about not thinking breakfast is breakfast and rather just another meal! But it didnt sink in until that very moment.

I grew up on non breaky foods, so i dont think its weird like others. I think its more the process. I have to leave the house at 8am, but i also have to organise my family (2 & 5) the breakys/ lunch/ teeth hair...im waking up 2 hours earlier just to do it all. stressful!! So i think i just need to have leftovers :) quick easy onepot leftovers that just involve heating up.no salad prep measuring stuff....

I think this weekend im going to do a big cook up of basics/ staples...what should i make?

thinking:

-pulled pork

-chicken and chicken breasts

-chocolatechilli

-sausage mince

-sweet potato hash

maybe some slow cooker beef?!?

Whats everyones go to food atm?

What is the whole21? is that just 21 days? im thinking of only doing 29 days cos i really dont wanna miss out on christmas ham!

Yep, same as Whole30, but just shortening it up. Lately I've been doing white fish with zucchini, sliced extra thin or julienned into "zoodles" pan cooked in ghee with garlic and onion. Reminds me of a nice, light pasta. Tonight I also threw some chicken breasts in the oven and the put them on a bed of artichokes (from a can, couldn't find any fresh), roasted red pepper, black olives and avocado. It was really easy and so good! 

As for "breakfast," I usually just take whatever meat I have in my fridge (usually bacon or sausage, but it's hard to find compliant versions, so I've been sticking with mince) add it to some spinach and eggs with cherry tomatoes. I eat some sort of egg scramble every day and honestly, never get sick of it. I've made a sweet/savory version as well before with apples, macadamia nuts and coconut flakes. 

Welcome to the group, alyciaca! Nice to see a fellow grad student on board :) Not that raising two children is any less stressful than grad school, oof! I couldn't imagine it, good on you for taking the time for your own health nevertheless! I've already noticed great improvements to my sleep and energy levels, I hope you two see the same.

As for breakfast, I find I can never get sick of eggs. I usually have two, fried or poached, and some meat or fish, on top of whatever leftover or fresh veggies I have lying around. So far the only repeat meal I've had is "monkey salad," which is chopped banana with coconut ribbons and cashews or other compliant nuts (macademia and hazelnuts are the other two which are good to eat regularly, I believe), but it's always been just a side to my veggies and eggs.

I'm thinking I ought to prepare some meals in advance for next week as well. This week I just made two dishes in the morning: one for breakfast and one to take to work for lunch. But it means I have to get up quite early to cook the protein, and make sure I have meat or fish thawing the night before.

I just know I'm going to forget to thaw anything one busy night or sleep past my alarm and not have time to make two meals one morning, and will be stuck hunting campus for anything resembling a compliant meal.

Your dishes all sound good Mishella! Do you have a recipe for chocolate chili? That sounds delicious.

I love sweet/savory dishes. It's a good way to get some fruit in without feeling like you're giving in to dessert after a meal. My CSA has brought me at least a dozen pears this week so I've been mixing those in with salads and other dishes, usually spiced with cardamom and nutmeg and chili powder. A little sweet spicy kick :)

So is this day 5?

i think i need to cut out bacon :( and cut down on the sweet potato and fruit. What is a recommended quantity for weightloss? im have about 2-3 servings of fruit during the day. (1 banana, 1 kiwi, and a cup of strawberries) do you think that is too much

The whole 30 is not a weight loss plan and therefore doesn't make recommendations for how to do so. Weight is irrelevant in your whole 30. Making nutritious choices and eating for better health should be your focus. Many people experience changes in body composition as they cut out foods that generally promote bloat/inflammation and excess consumption.

You should be including a variety of vegetables to get a range of nutrients. Try to eat a rainbow!

Your fruit consumption doesn't sound excessive - make sure it's being eaten with a meal and not pushing vegetables off the plate.

If your overweight i dont think you can EVER say that weight is irrelevent. But i understand that its not the main "goal" during the whole30. Ive been eating "monkey salad" with my main meals or 30 minutes after if i still feel hungry. is that correct?

Had choc chilli for breaky :) with 2 eggs feeling good and still full

If your overweight i dont think you can EVER say that weight is irrelevent. But i understand that its not the main "goal" during the whole30. Ive been eating "monkey salad" with my main meals or 30 minutes after if i still feel hungry. is that correct?

Had choc chilli for breaky :) with 2 eggs feeling good and still full

I'm so close to being classified as overweight according to the BMI scale, it's not funny. I'm definitely not overweight! Body composition is important, and having a healthy bf%. That's completely separate to the number on a scale.

If you're hungry 30 minutes after eating your meal, you aren't eating enough at your meal. You should only eat between meals if you're starving, and have a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies, not fruit and nuts. You also need to reevaluate your portion sizes so you can make it from one meal to the next without needing more food.

So is this day 5?

i think i need to cut out bacon :( and cut down on the sweet potato and fruit. What is a recommended quantity for weightloss? im have about 2-3 servings of fruit during the day. (1 banana, 1 kiwi, and a cup of strawberries) do you think that is too much

If you have a sugar dragon, cutting fruit down might be a good idea. I personally, am a major sugar addict so last summer when I did my first Whole30, I did a 21 Day Sugar Detox along with it (where you are allowed one green apple or one green tippend banana per day). I kid you not, I had maybe 4 apples the entire 21 days and on day 22, I ate 2 blueberries just because I could. I was so amazed how easy it felt. Cutting sugar for me helped me reduce food cravings in general, which helped my results immensely. Oh and it's really incredible how sweet things like acorn squash taste after a few days without sugar! 

Guys my first weekend and i gave into temptation :( God dam you weekend! i should of been prepared. i should of ate before i left and brought myown food and drink!!

I was just not going to say anything but whats the point of lying! Which now brings my whole30 finishing date just before new years! So should i find another group/ start a new page?! [fail]

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Mishella, but I hope you don't lose hope because of it! I'm not sure what the "rules" are regarding buddy groups, if there are any? It may help to have conversations with people on the same day as you (to talk symptoms, etc), but I'm personally fine with you sticking around our topic as well. I appreciate your meal ideas! Tomorrow I'm going to make the chocolate chilli you linked for my lunches next week.

I know you can do this :) Just be extra prepared for your first weekend, now that you know where your weak spots are. I definitely ate more on the weekend than I did during the week as well, but I had rid my apartment of noncompliant foods so it just meant I ate more fruit. I'm going to try to avoid that next weekend.

Tonight I made a big batch of that chocolate chilli, for lunches this week. It's still simmering now and it smells amaaaazing.

One thing I found on my first weekend is that because I slept in and only did two big meals a day, I got fatigued after meals-- they were a lot more than I usually eat, but I was so hungry! I think next weekend I will try squeezing 3 smaller meals into the same span of time, or getting up earlier (ha). My body has never been happy when I overeat, but I'm sure it's less happy when I don't eat much at all, which was my habitual approach to weekends before Whole30.

End of day 6: I'm still having consistently fantastic sleep, and haven't been bloated or gassy for almost a week! Coming from a legume-based diet, that's nothing short of a miracle. Cravings aren't bad at all, but I'm having hilarious dreams about being forced to eat pizza and cake and freaking out because I'd have to start over.

My friend who has done multiple Whole30's told me this is normal. He once had a dream of being driven down the highway on the hood of a car, with Oreos flying into his mouth and him trying desperately to get them out. Brains are wonderful.

Archived