Chronic yeast infections

Abby

This is my first post, first time doing the whole30, I just finished Nov. 12.  :)

This is an embarrassing questions for me, but I know you all can steer me in the right direction.

My normal diet consisted of a lot of sugar and a lot of soda. It took a whole30 to show me how bad I had been to my body for many years. I have yet to start the reintroduction phase yet. My question is about yeast infections...I get them chronically. First, they started happening about every six months in high school, then every three months, then every two, now I get them monthly, and during the course of my whole30, I have had it twice in one month. Do you think this is due to a die off of candida? I can't seem to find a pattern to them, and I know many, many things can cause them.

I am healthy, 25 and do not have children. I have seen two different gynecologists about it. They have confirmed it is yeast. I switched from one dr because he told me basically it just happens to some women and you have to deal with it. My new dr has told me to keep eating clean and see if that makes a difference, prescribed me some antibiotics for a bacterial infection she found during an exam during my whole30 (cleared up), but gave me a heavy prescription for a couple rounds of Diflucan if it still continues to come back. I traditionally treat them with OTC meds.

I want to do everything I can to avoid that Diflucan, I don't want all of my hard work ruined by multiple rounds of antibiotics. Since ending the whole30, I have basically stuck to the template, and I have started supplementing with Natural Calm, D3 and SFH fish oil. I have ordered Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic probiotic for women, which is supposed to specifically target the areas I am having problems with. That probiotic seems like a last ditch effort to get this stuff to go away, and I'm praying it will help. I have also tried eating Bubbie's sauerkraut a couple times a week.

Do you all have any suggestions as to why this keeps happening or what I can do to prevent it? It's getting to be a miserable, expensive habit. I'm tired of it, and my husband is too! I do not want to just accept this is the way I am and "deal with it."

Thanks in advance!

It sure doesn't have to be 'just the way I am'!!!

Systemic problem.  

Have you ever heard of the book "Feast without Yeast" by Bruce Semon?  It is an older publication, but a good one.  Very restrictive as far as food goes.  He has a practice in my area and I ran into him at our food co-op.  He said he is coming out with a new book, too.

This isn't for everyone, but sometimes heavy metal toxicity can be behind chronic yeast overgrowth.  Chelation is an option, but not within most people's comfort zone.

Oil of Oregano (I love North American Herb and Spice Wild OoO)

garlic

grapeFRUIT seed extract (Nutribiotic GSE)

berberine

All good yeast fighters.  Die-off can really be a bitch!  Wipe you out big time.  Finding quality probiotics is awesome as well as a good practitioner.  If you can afford it, and if your insurance pays for it, trying seeking out a qualified naturopath or MD skilled in integrative medicine.

Sorry you are dealing with this.  I fought yeast overgrowth in my son (Autism) for quite a few years.  I liked the NutriBiotic and I love oil of oregano!  Chelation was his key, but that is an entirely different battle to undertake and not to be done without research and solid commitment to not cause more problems (yeast will flare during chelation without fail).

No, I'm not on any birth control. I took the pill for probably 3 or so years in my last few years of high school, but I've been off for probably at least 5 years.

As far as fruit consumption goes, I don't eat much fruit, as I usually save it towards the end of my meal and I'm not hungry enough to eat it then, so I'd say maybe 1-2 servings a day. I do however eat a lot of sweet potatoes and squash, I don't know if that may be encouraging it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished taking care of my candida issues. Oreganol (oil of oregano) was my anti-fungal of choice and I also used a pro-biotic and slippery elm powder to help my intestines. It is a LONG road. Remember also, nothing that yeast likes (including vinegar) for a few weeks. There are some Whole 30 compliant foods that will NOT help heal your candida. 

Yes take the Diflucan...yeast is a fungal infection...also avoid anything fermented, too much fruit etc. There is a great book I think it is called the "Yeast Connection". Also go the the Dr. Ronald Hoffman MD website...he has a whole bunch of suggestions and resources. Sound advise...not quackery...lol. Certainly the paleo diet is a step in the right direction...but if  you are prone to yeast...there are some foods you may need to eliminate or reduce. I personally can not eat too much fruit like blueberries...apples seem safe for me. I can only have vinegar occasionally and a little bit. It will get better once you find out the main culprit... :D it does take time though.         

Here is some helpful info on yeast by a reputable source..amd see the reference list at the end...hope this helps!!

Candida

by Leyla Muedin, MS, RD, CDN

Candida albicans are a species of yeast that normally reside in the GI tract. It is only when overgrowth occurs, or allergy to candida develops, that trouble begins. Candida is an opportunistic fungus which feeds primarily on sugars and other yeast-containing foods (foods that are aged, pickled, dried, fermented or cured). Actually, the problem with yeast-containing foods is that they are "seen" by the immune system of a person with candida as foreign invaders, hence triggering reaction. Overgrowth of candida is also caused by stress, use of antibiotics, steroids and oral contraceptives. It is the overgrowth of candida in the gut that can lead to a myriad of symptoms, and it is more often than not the cause of the latest GI disorder on the medical map, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

Symptoms of IBS can include constipation alternating with diarrhea, gas, bloating and cramping particularly in the lower abdomen with unpredictable bowel movements and urges. This can be a source of much discomfort, not to mention the unhappiness that comes with a social calendar becoming contingent upon the availability of a bathroom. Typically, the dysbiosis (bacterial imbalance) that occurs with IBS starts with the invasion of multiple colonies of candida in the gut, followed by toxicity. Yeasts give off many toxins, like zymosan which causes inflammation.

Research conducted at the University of Tennessee in Memphis found that zymosan is found to cause much of the inflammation associated with psoriasis. Another toxin called arabinitol is known to produce toxic effects on the brain, nervous system and immune system in animal studies. Numerous other toxins produced by yeasts may explain the memory retention problems, feeling "drunk", hormone disturbances, fatigue and depression experienced by so many with yeast problems.

It is worth noting that over ninety percent of a healthy population is "allergic" to candida. How can that be if it normally resides in the body? The delayed hypersensitivity (Type 4 allergy) response by the immune system is what helps the body control yeast overgrowth. This is a normal and protective response to yeast but sometimes it gets out of hand. An immediate hypersensitivity response to candida (Type 1 allergy), which is found in approximately 10 percent of the population, can cause hives, asthma, eczema, chronic vaginitis, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. In these cases, immunotherapy with sublingual drops of varying levels of attenuated candida extracts successfully neutralizes the immune response, abating the hypersensitivity.

Other abnormal or unusual allergic reactions to yeast may trigger autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, thyroiditis, or celiac disease. A recent study published in the Lancet showed candida contains a protein called HWP-1 which is similar in its structure to gluten. A candida infection in the gut can cause an immune system reaction to HWP-1, which then stimulates an allergic reaction to the gluten in wheat and other grains and may trigger celiac disease in genetically-susceptible people. Under these circumstances, a gluten-free diet alone may not do the trick in relieving symptoms in a patient with celiac disease. A yeast-free diet with antifungal supplements such as Olive Leaf Extract, Oregacillin and/or medications such as Nystatin, Diflucan, Sporanox or Lamisil may be necessary. Other studies assert that candida is a sensitizing agent. Rats raised with regular doses of antibiotics, when inoculated with live candida, were found to develop allergies to mold, dust and pollen.

Wiping out yeast overgrowth in the gut requires starvation (of the yeast, not the patient!) and elimination with a yeast-free, sugar-free diet and antifungal supplements. During this detoxification period, re-inoculation of the gut with healthy probiotics such as Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics Original Formula, Culturelle, or Vital 10 is critical. Dysbiosis caused by candida overgrowth warrants the consistent use of these probiotics so that bacterial balance may be re-established and healthy gut ecology maintained.

While both sexes with yeast overgrowth may share conditions such as sinusitis, asthma and joint pain, several conditions are exclusive to women, particularly those between the ages of 20 to 55. Among candida-aware health practitioners, the following are considered yeast-related health problems:

• PMS

• Recurrent vaginal yeast infections

• Vulvodynia (burning vulva)

• Recurrent urinary tract infections

• Endometriosis

• Dyspareunia (painful intercourse)

• Infertility

Other conditions common to both sexes and children that may be yeast-related include:

• Eczema

• Psoriasis

• Urticaria (chronic hives)

• Acne

• Colitis

• IBS

• GERD

• Chronic ear infections

• Crohn's disease

• Prostatitis

• Multiple sclerosis

• Lupus erythematosus

• Rheumatoid arthritis

• Myasthenia gravis

• ADHD

• Autism

• Depression

References:

Crook, WG. The Yeast Connection Handbook. Jackson, Tennessee: Professional Books, Inc.; 2002.

Crook, WG, Cass H. The Yeast Connection and Women's Health. Jackson, Tennessee: Professional Books, Inc.; 2003.

Vian - thank you. Honestly, I didn't even stop to think about that, in my mind, generally when you go to the Dr, you get an antibiotic. Thanks for pointing that out! And to think, I've been avoiding it for three months thinking it was going to destroy all the good gut bacteria built up on the whole30... -_-

I went to the bookstore and bought The Yeast Connection and another yeast-related book, looking forward to learning more about this. Thank you all for your input, it's appreciated! 

It is interesting that I am now starting to be able to trace this back to high school, I had constant sinus infections with many rounds of antibiotics, followed by a discovery of nasal polyps and a surgery to remove those, then followed by short-term nasal steroids....and that's when the yeast infections started. Crazy how it all works hand-in-hand...

I actually started seeing an accupunturist for my neck and he is working with me about the yeast issue I have.  It has been great!  I would strongly encourage you seeing if there is a licenced practitioner who knows their stuff! 

Yeast happens when your gut is out of whack...so maybe he or she can help find you some balance!  I am telling you, I completely understand.  I don't use any scented laundry detergent, I don't take extremely hot baths, I wear cotton bikini underwear (no thongs anymore), I wear loose clothes or a night gown at night.  Those things help ALOT but until I started seeing him, I didn't have relief for long periods of time. Even when doing the Whole 30, it was helpful but it didn't go completely away.  Diflucan is good to help it, HOWEVER it is not a long term solution and is hard on the liver. 

I wish this on NO ONE! Best wishes to you. I know this is a pain!

Archived