Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

My name is Erin. I am a 36 year old wife and mother of 2 wonderful little girls. I am currently at my heaviest weight ever. I didn't even weigh this much when I was pregnant! I am done feeling this way and have decided that the Whole30 is my best option for change. I was going to start on Dec. 2, but then I was reading on the website all the reasons not to start a drastic change during the holidays and it made a lot of sense to me. So I will take this month to research, plan meals and shop for those non-perishable items that I might not have already. There are some things that will be very tough for me to follow...I drink a lot of tea. I don't use sugar or Splenda, but I do use Sweet Leaf brand stevia. I probably have 8-9 cups of hot tea a day in the winter. So drinking it straight will be a learning curve for me. I will also have to train myself to drink more water in the winter. I do great all spring, summer, and fall. Then it gets cold and I have to have a cup of tea! That being said, all I drink is tea and water anyhow. My other challenges will be lunch for my husband, who does not have access to a microwave at work. He is a delivery driver for FedEx and eats while running his route. And my girls. They are wonderful eaters, but not having cereal, oatmeal, and toast for breakfast will cramp their style. And the no dairy. They love their milk and cheese! I'm not sure how I will handle them yet. This month will help me get prepared I guess!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Erin!

A couple of thoughts:
- Regarding sweetener in your tea, one idea is to start weaning yourself off in December. 
- On your husband's lunch, a thermos that would keep soup/chili/stew hot and/or insulated cooler for many other items (e.g., chicken, egg or salmon salad, veggies, etc.) could be a solution.
- The Whole30 for Kids forum http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/16-whole30-for-kids/ has lots of ideas for doing a Whole30 with your children.  Lots to read there!

I drink all sorts of teas, so I'm going to start now and see which ones taste okay without being sweetened. And thanks for the link for kids! Dinner isn't ever our issue, so I'm hoping they have some good breakfast and lunch ideas.

Just a quick note to say I will join you on 1/2! I did a wonderful W30 last July/August, but bad habits have taken over, and I just plain need to do it again. I expect that between now and then I will start in smaller steps, and then take it to the necessary level of obsessive compliance on 1/2. Last time the forum was critical to convincing myself that it was a matter of life and death to stay compliant - something I could never believe on my own...

I'll post more as I work toward benchmarks on the way to 1/2. I'm thinking that all visible sugar needs to be the first to go (would then add obsessive reading of condiment labels for 1/2), probably will wait on banning all alcohol until the actual start date. Lots to take care of in between those two - snacks, ALL grains, legumes, and dairy (although I already do a "lazy" paleo diet), etc. A month lead time sounds great to me!

Have been thinking about this for a while, found myself reading the forums a couple of days ago, and here I am with a start date! Thanks so much for starting the 1/2 thread.

I'm planning on starting on 1/2 as well.  I did my first Whole30 last January and never felt better.  My eating habits definitely changed since, but business travel, stress and the holidays have contributed to some very bad choices over the past couple of months, so I am looking forward to starting the Whole30 again. 

Gluten and dairy are my enemies. Oh, and add sugar to that, too.

You can start by just dropping some of the things that are effecting you the most.  I'm not able to completely stay on - although I started over - but I don't do dairy anymore or try not to do sugar - because of my sensitivities to them as well as potatoes and corn (some of my favorites).  A pretty pitcher of Lemon water in the frig helps me drink more water.  If I don't have it in there I tend to drink less water.  Also, I found these more inexpensive cutes of round steak or tri tip steak that are very thin and sorta folded over each other to sell.  I can put a number of them in a baking dish with some spices I've found that we like that don't have sodium and I bake them for an hour or so depending on how well they look done (and your tastes likes).  I sometimes add sweet potatoes or onion, garlic or especially mushrooms in.  It changes the flavors and usually I bake my sweet potato in the microwave and have it with veggies and or salad with the meat.  (I don't notice any lack with these meals.  My husband can take the left overs in lunch and not even warm them.  He's getting pretty creative also. 

Just read your post and I am going to start on the 1/2/2014 as well.  Feeling very tired all the time even after a good 8 hours of sleep.  Most nights I wake at 2:30 or 3 am.  I was chalking it up to Menopause along with weight gain.  This is it for me!

Starting to be very aware that our start date is approaching.  Some days I'm almost W30 in my meals, and some days I'm way off base.  Night-time snacking is my demon right now, and I'll be glad to sign out of that one on 1/2!  (Of course I could do that right now, but so far its not happening...).  What I loved about the previous W30 I did was that I completely bought into the rules and rigidity and behaved as if my life depended on "compliance."  This is not my nature, so the structure of the plan and the community of the forum are really what shifts it for me.  In some ways, I can't wait to start - and I think its a good thing to try to get into shape somewhat before the start date, but am happy to wait until 1/2 to jump in completely. 

For the record, both breakfast and lunch are W30 compliant today.  We'll see what happens later!

Another 1/2 starter here.  A little nervous I won't stick with it, but also looking forward to the results.  I'm also tired all the time, no matter how much sleep I get.  I've been gluten free for a year, and yet have still gained weight.  Rarely have gluten-free versions of things either (occasional gf bagel or pizza, but they are not regulars in my diet).  I also need to give up my diet coke.  I hoping all this will help me feel better - better energy, better tummy, better mental clarity.  Some weight loss would also be great!  Since I've gained, none of my clothes fit and it's very discouraging. 

Cici

I'll be starting 1/2 also. I am trying to be good this month, but I feel like I'm being bombarded on all sides and my resolve just is crumbling away to nothing! Disappointed in myself about that, but start every day over with good intentions and some go better than others. I've even lost ground in my exercise-three-or-four-times-a-week resolution. <_<

I had great luck with my whole30 in 2013, so starting 2014 off with a second whole30 journey will definitely help put me on the right footing to continue. Here's hoping we all survive the rest of December with at least some of our healthy dignity intact! :D

Hi all -

W30 was recommended to me by my personal trainer as I am looking for a better way to improve my nutrition, body composition, and change a lot of my not-so-good eating habits a.k.a excuses for being busy with work and not attending to my health.  Plus, it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds in the process.

I've picked up the book "It Starts with Food" and have read the first few chapters..so far so good and very motivational.  I think I will join in and start my journey with you all on Jan. 2nd too!  :)

I'll be starting a little later than you all- on the 13th. I have an extended family brunch and my husbands birthday at the beginning of January, so I'm going to make it easier on myself and wait until those events are over. In the meantime, I have already started putting together menus for the entire 30 days. That way come the 13th, I have no excuses!

OK, I just watched this, and am going to commit to eliminating caffiene during my W30. No surprises, I know that caffiene is not good in my body, but I have used the silly excuse of W30 "permission" not to give it up. So who suffers for that ridiculously immature way of relating to the program??? http://www.whole9life.com/2013/12/ask-whole9-canada-coffee/ Don't want to give up wine either, but that's the "rules!"

I'm in for the 2nd too.

I had been caffeine free for a long, long time but went back in the last few months.  Honestly, I've felt terrible since I did.

I switched back to no coffee and/or decaf during a recent bout with pneumonia.  I feel so much better.  I still have real coffee in the house--I need to stock up on decaf.  

I'm in for round 2 on 1/2 also! This time husband, parents and in laws are joining me (I must have made an impact?) :) it's amazing how much my bad eating habits have changed since my first w30 in September. I cook all the time now and have really learned how to be lazy and cook, and have cooked food on hand. Sadly some foods have crept back and I can feel the inflammation again. I've been grain free since my w30, but dairy - which is a major problem for me I found out - is starting to make a regular appearance again. I'm excited to begin and learn again and support my family in this lifestyle. Best of luck to everyone!

I've printed the article on coffee and will read tonight - thank you!!  I think my Whole 30 book - "it starts with food"  said you could have coffee 1 no more than 2 cups early in day but not after noon as it messes up system.  but it did say they prefer if you don't. 

I will join a full 30 on the 2nd also.  I will be doing as good as I can in Dec - I haven't done any baking yet but have ordered some paleo cookbooks for any new ideas - I'm not good with using the ingredients I have to use - they cook up different, ie: oat flour those kind of things. 

I'm having trouble with snacking at night again and even though I have a gym membership - I can't seem to get myself down there.  That is one of my new goals.  Thank you for all of your encouraging words from sharing your successes and not so successful findings!!!  It all helps!! 

I was also going to respond to the one who is having flu symptoms and feeling sick - What day are you on?  Is it the detoxing of your body (days possible 2 - 7 somewhere or even 2nd week?  Just a question - I missed where you started.  Real flu is everywhere also!!  Blessings to all!!

Edging closer to "ready, set, go!"  Switched from coffee to tea on the way to no caffeine (a personal decision, I know its not necessary for the W30).  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are maybe 80% compliant, with all of the exceptions things I'm aware of.  Snacking after dinner is still a messy area, soon to change - even if I hang on to my foolish ways up to the last minute.  That minute will come!

Glad so many people are joining this group - online community can really provide a lot of encouragement and accountability. 

Hi all...I am new to this site. I have been reading about this on Paleo websites, and while I am nervous (I love my wine) I am ready to go. I have been *mostly* Paleo for almost a month now, but I know I could be doing better and I like how much more energy I have without gluten. I will definitely need some support for this. :)

Archived