Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Happy Monday!  I woke up early today feeling refreshed.  That is a good feeling and it wasn't after a lot of sleep. I'll be having my morning coffee with a bit of coconut oil, then try a new fritatta this am.  The kids are home from school, since all the schools are closed due to the cold weather.

I hope the day is brighter for those of you struggling with the sad and depressed feeling.  

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the restless legs tips - for me I think it is sodium. Already supplement with magnesium, but off W30 I slip into a pretty major chip addiction so am accustomed to consuming high levels of sodium. Anyway added some salted almonds and slept like a baby!  :)

I seem to be having more physical side effects than others. Today is my 3rd day with a bad migraine. I'm having to take way more medicine than thte label indicates as it wears off after 5-6 hours instead of 12. So I'm also having doubts about the efficacy of doing this. I'm trying to hang in there but migraines were one thing I was hoping would get better, not this much worse! I'm also tired and fuzzy. Not accomplishing much. Luckily no work today due to the weather. I hope tomorrow will see an improvement. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Also, had my first dream about about eating noncompliant food; cookies. I was so upset with myself in the dream! And it seemed so real! I guess I'll try and use that feeling to motivate me to keep going.

Thanks for your support. It really does help to have this forum.

I dreamt I owned a restaurant that only served Whole30 compliant meals. People would sit and ask for cakes and get upset at me because I didn't have them.  :unsure:

Feeling sad and anxious today again. Mondays are my other free day and usually the worse. What prompted me to start the Whole30 was actually an anxiety attack I had last Monday.

Cici: We're in the same boat :)  , hang in there with me! Would you tell us a little about yourself?

Chris24: Checking on you. How are you doing today?

Praxisproject, kayhunter, thank you!

CFlover: I think your meal times are just ok, they're the same as mine and many others, only tipped a couple hours later. So you could totally be hungry in the morning. Are you getting enough sleep? I know it's harder for me to be hungry for breakfast if I'm tired.

Hi Beli! Thanks for checking in with me. I just posted before I saw yours. I don't have a lot of experience commenting on a forum. Anyway, I haven't posted because I've been struggling with a bad migraine. Sorry to hear you are struggling today yourself. Maybe we can help each other. It's nice to know you are out there and that we are all in this together. I hope it will be worth it. Definitely having doubts. But no work due to the weather (its -15 outside with wind chills in the -35 to -45 degree range!) So I'm going to try to cozy up to the fireplace and relax and read up on the benefits of all of this. Maybe find a good chicken curry recipe. Do you have one?

I seem to be having more physical side effects than others. Today is my 3rd day with a bad migraine. I'm having to take way more medicine than thte label indicates as it wears off after 5-6 hours instead of 12. So I'm also having doubts about the efficacy of doing this. I'm trying to hang in there but migraines were one thing I was hoping would get better, not this much worse! I'm also tired and fuzzy. Not accomplishing much. Luckily no work today due to the weather. I hope tomorrow will see an improvement. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Also, had my first dream about about eating noncompliant food; cookies. I was so upset with myself in the dream! And it seemed so real! I guess I'll try and use that feeling to motivate me to keep going.

Thanks for your support. It really does help to have this forum.

Hang in there, it takes more then a couple of days to change your body. You are probably detoxing which is causing you to have a migraine plus other symptoms. If you hang in there it WILL go away and you will feel better and maybe cure your migraine issues or at least decrease them. DON'T GIVE UP!

Day 5 and I am not doing as well as I did on my first whole30. I feel hungry and irritated. I feel like there is nothing to eat, and I'm never satisfied when I do eat. I'm eating plenty of fat, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I know what to do, but I am feeling like I hate the whole eating experience. Hoping this passes soon. 

OOhh Monday! Anybody else have to work for the first time today?

I am not in a Kill Bill mood, but I am ready for all that forthcoming energy to kick in. I am working the meal template but after each heavy meal I could easily take a nap. Very slow, achy run this morning.

I told my mother about W30 and now she is on day 2!

Beli, I laughed out loud at your dream! I know they were really ticked off. I think I can get more sleep in. I go to bed around midnight but I'm staring at my phone (FB, instagram....etc.) for sometimes another 2 hours. I know it's bad so I'm committing to not taking my phone into bed with me starting tonight :)

I'm feeling like "kill all the things" today.

My husband disagreed with something I said I wanted to do and I've been in a bad mood every since. I'm trying to work out of it (I came here first)

Also, I had a scheduled appointment with a dietitian. I made it before discovering W30. I wanted to know what was a healthy range of body fat for myself and if the online calculators were correct (they say I'm obese. YIKES). It's hard for me because I carry a lot of weight in my thighs (which helps me with deadlifts YAY). I asked if I should be more concerned about weight or body fat. Her response was if I wanted to me a certain jean size, I should shoot for that. Or a certain weight, or if I wanted my clothes to fit loose, I should aim towards that. I was thinking in my head WHAT?! So you recommend that I just pick a jean size (say 4) (or any weight) and work towards that. Common sense tells me that's not an ideal size for me because of my body composition (but I'm not anexpert). The advice was really wishy washy (yay for made up words lol). I'm in school studying to be a dietetic technician with plans to become registered dietitian so I was disappointed in my experience

She was also VERY concerned about my whole grain consumption LOL!  She recommended a multi-vitamin. She was concerned about calcium and carb consumption. She never heard of Paleo. Really? I would expect someone in the nutrition field to at least have heard of different ways of eating. I don't know, maybe I expected too much.  

I really want to get a good body fat test done. I know the program says not to do any of that so I'll wait until after. I was interested in knowing before even discovering W30. Though, I didn't decide to do W30 for weight/fat loss. I'm doing it because I have bad habits with food (aka becoming snack monster at night).

One thing the dietitian pointed out that resonated with me is I'm snacking probably because I don't consume a pre and post WO meal. If I'm eating lunch around 1 and I crossfit at 6pm then eat dinner aroung 730. I'm just not giving my body enough. Then I'm(WAS!) snacking to fill up but as ISWF explains, the snacks just aren't satisfying.

Sorry for the novel :mellow:

I'm feeling like "kill all the things" today. I had a scheduled appointment with a dietitian. I made it before discovering W30. I wanted to know what was a healthy range of body fat for myself and if the online calculators were correct (they say I'm obese. YIKES). It's hard for me because I carry a lot of weight in my thighs (which helps me with deadlifts YAY). I asked if I should be more concerned about weight or body fat. Her response was if I wanted to me a certain jean size, I should shoot for that. Or a certain weight, or if I wanted my clothes to fit loose. I was thinking in my head WHAT?! So you recommend that I just pick a jean size (say 4) and work towards that. Common sense tells me that's not an ideal size for me because of my body composition (but I'm not expert). The advice was really wishy washy (yay for made up words lol). I'm in school studying to be a dietetic technician with plans to become registered dietitian so I was disappointed in my experience

She was also VERY concerned about my whole grain consumption LOL!  She recommended a multi-vitamin. She was concerned about calcium and carb consumption. She never heard of Paleo. Really? I would expect someone in the nutrition field to at least have heard of different ways of eating. I don't know, maybe I expected too much.  

You might enjoy reading this article. Forum member Vian posted this link yesterday: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/

Hi, all.  Received a belated holiday gift from a colleague today - it's a box of chocolates.  I can smell it through the wrapping paper.  Will happily re-gift it to the office snack area by the coffee machine. 

I was suffering terribly from joint pain (one of several horrid side effects of the oral chemotherapy I take daily to reduce my risk of cancer recurrence - I'm a 3 time survivor)  before I started this Whole30, and it's GONE.  Completely.  Totally.  Gluten is my enemy!

:)

Jayelle, good for you!!!!

Hmm, I'm not feeling "kill all things" but more like "eat all things." I think I'm overdoing the nuts a little bit. Sparkling water with lime is helping greatly with the Coke Zero/wine cravings. At least that's what I tell myself. :P

A treat I am loving is strawberries and blueberries, with whole fat coconut milk and slivered almonds. YUM.

Oh, please someone tell me what is up with coconut oil and coffee?? The idea of any type of oil in my coffee sounds gross! :unsure:

OOhh Monday! Anybody else have to work for the first time today?

!

Me! School is back in session. I definitely underate at breakfast and didn't have enough fat at lunch so I was really dragging for my last two classes of the day. I have a reputation as a VERY energetic teacher, so it bums me out to be so blah, especially because I have 14 year olds for 90 minute stretches which is, I know, hard for them (on top of the fact that they are magnet students who get up verrrry early to be bussed into our school and oftentimes stay until 8-10pm), so it was a very slow day.

I did all my meal planning and making for the week and was apparently a little off, so now I need to figure out how to get in bigger breakfasts! 2 eggy muffins and a cup of veggies is not enough!

Today is day 5 and I am struggling to fight the sweet cravings! Yesterday I dreamt about sweet treats :( and today I'm craving chocolate frosting and toast haha. Had a headache the past couple days and had to take a nap. Other than that, I feel great! ;) Hope everyone else is doing better than I am haha. I have a huge sweet tooth and ate them daily which is probably why I'm going through such bad withdrawal. 

Hi - love reading everyone's comments. i am worried i am eating too much. I never usually have three big meals, or red meat and i feel like the recipes I've made require a lot of oil. Does anyone else feel like this? So far everyday i've had a breafkast frittata w/ some meat and veggies, and a piece of fruit. for lunch a salad and either fish or chicken and then another piece of fruit for a snack before the gym, and dinner always broccoli and a large portion of meat and sweet potato fries, etc. It seems like a lot! Maybe my portion are too big? does anyone else feel like they are eating more than usual with the Whole 30? 

Thank you! Curious if I am doing it wrong, or if my body is just adjusting to added protein and not filling it with empty calories... 

Jayelle, good for you!!!!

Hmm, I'm not feeling "kill all things" but more like "eat all things." I think I'm overdoing the nuts a little bit. Sparkling water with lime is helping greatly with the Coke Zero/wine cravings. At least that's what I tell myself. :P

A treat I am loving is strawberries and blueberries, with whole fat coconut milk and slivered almonds. YUM.

Oh, please someone tell me what is up with coconut oil and coffee?? The idea of any type of oil in my coffee sounds gross! :unsure:

Cayrbear - I am with you on missing wine. boohoo. My substitute when I really want some is either kombucha or a little balsamic vinegar in sparkling water. It might sound weird but it is kinda nice.

My husband keeps trying to give me candy or cookies as a joke. It is not helping!

Day 5 went pretty well. Pre-planned meals really helped get through the work day as well as yoga in the AM and a big class PM to help me fight the old wine craving. ( I was a glass or 3 a night drinker)

Amandasweet14- I def feel like I am eating a lot more as I never use to eat breakfast. But I am pretty sure the no sandwich, no red wine, no sweets is more then making up for it. I think before I just consumed smaller amounts of high calorie food and drinks, I have always been a juice/milk/wine lover.

I think I just got lucky with my small Kitchenaid Food processor it has a tiny hole in a dip on the lid that pours the oil in a tiny steady stream just perfectly.

Hello all! I haven't posted in the forum yet, but I've been doing a lot of journaling and reflecting of my own! 

I did a ton of food prep the night before I started, and was doing various combos of a marinara sauce with ground beef over spaghetti squash and roasted chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and salads, plus usually some type of egg and veggie combo for meal 1. 

I've noticed I am eating bigger meals than I am used to, but it is intentional. I am definitely snacking less, which is great. Most of my usual snacks are maybe Whole30 compliant, but are still super sugary (i.e. raisins all the time). Additionally, the first few days I had really low energy, but today, Day 5, was my first day back at work, and I had pretty good energy all day! 

I will say, I'm also doing this with a low-FODMAP diet, and it is HARD to find Whole30 meals that are also low-FODMAP compliant. My cooking has been a bit less adventurous and exciting than I'm used to. (if you don't know about low-FODMAP, I'd be happy to share more!) 

Finally, the other night I had a dream in which I 'accidentally' bought a box of Cheez-Its and ate the whole thing in the course of 2 hours. I haven't eaten those things in 5 years, and yet... 

Love the motivation and sharing and support going on here. Hooray, us! 

And... 

Hi - love reading everyone's comments. i am worried i am eating too much. I never usually have three big meals, or red meat and i feel like the recipes I've made require a lot of oil. Does anyone else feel like this? So far everyday i've had a breafkast frittata w/ some meat and veggies, and a piece of fruit. for lunch a salad and either fish or chicken and then another piece of fruit for a snack before the gym, and dinner always broccoli and a large portion of meat and sweet potato fries, etc. It seems like a lot! Maybe my portion are too big? does anyone else feel like they are eating more than usual with the Whole 30? 

Thank you! Curious if I am doing it wrong, or if my body is just adjusting to added protein and not filling it with empty calories... 

Amandasweet14 - I'm wondering what you mean by 'it seems like a lot' -- are you actually getting really full? Or are you just worried about the size of your meals? Ideally, you *will* be eating more at each meal, because you're filling up on good protein, fats and vegetables. It takes more of these to 'feel' full than starches and grains and dairy. Having bigger meals also means not needing to snack as much. If you're concerned about the idea of 'how much' we're supposed to eat (i.e. for potential fear of 'overeating', I'd encourage you to try and reframe this around when/if you actually feel full. It is really, really hard to overeat on the Whole30! 

• Moderators

This topic has actually come up in the forum before, a lot of people worry they're eating too much. I worried I was eating too much during my 1st W30. After all, most of us have been told all our lives to watch our calories, and of course, females are expected to be dainty little things who eat dainty little meals. Anyway, here's one thread that addressed the question: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14672-am-i-eating-too-much/  Basically, though, if you feel full, but not stuffed, and you aren't hungry for 5-6 hours after your meal, you're probably fine. Snacks should follow the meal template and include protein, fat, and veggies, just in smaller portions. Also the meal template addresses what to eat pre-workout and post-workout, which have slightly different requirements.

Elysette -- I don't know a whole lot about FODMAP stuff, so I can't really offer suggestions, but I know there are other people here on the forums who are also doing/have done low-FODMAP W30s, maybe you can find recipe ideas from them. Here's one log I noticed that's AIP and low-FODMAP: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15218-aip-and-low-fodmap-for-mecfs-and-ibs/?hl=%2Bfodmap+%2Brecipe#entry163942

Hello again, start of day 7 for me. I survived my day trip to London with 2 tasty pack ups and some snacks. Yesterday was another day out, but I had left over broccoli salad and ground mince to see me through.

I was planning to make Pad Thai last night but my coconut aminos still haven't arrived so I dug some chocolate chilli out of the fridge.

Last night I dreamt about icing a giant chocolate cake and scraping the bowl clean with my fingers and eating the icing. Woke up and thought it was real for a second. Phew!! It could be a reality next week as my son will turn 13 and there will be baking :(

On Sunday, my Nanna will be 80. There is an open house at my Auntie's. This means food and drink everywhere. Challenge!! I think I will bring a whole30 friendly dish or 2 and a bag of mixed nuts so I at least have something to munch.

Today started with bacon, egg and a hash brown made From Sweet potato and onion. Lush!!

Have a happy whole30 day :)

Day 6 and my cravings have not been too bad this time around (second attempt at W30). And then my son decided to request Blueberry muffins for breakfast! My mouth instantly started watering! I quickly whipped up my own breakfast while the muffins were baking. Thank goodness I sidestepped that landmine.

I started my first Whole 30 on the 2nd as well.  I am in my early 40s and have not been healthy since I had my children.  I am that  mom who always puts everyone else first.  I have declared 2014 the year of ME.  I am starting with nutrition and health.  I am doing well with the program so far but wanted to join the forum to be sure I don't fall of the wagon.

Archived