Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

I am not typically a breakfast eater.  Most days the thought of a big heavy breakfast makes my stomach turn.  I have always been that girl with the cup of yogurt and some granola for breakfast.  Any suggestions for something light and easy to have for breakfast?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to be having more physical side effects than others. Today is my 3rd day with a bad migraine. I'm having to take way more medicine than thte label indicates as it wears off after 5-6 hours instead of 12. So I'm also having doubts about the efficacy of doing this. I'm trying to hang in there but migraines were one thing I was hoping would get better, not this much worse! I'm also tired and fuzzy. Not accomplishing much. Luckily no work today due to the weather. I hope tomorrow will see an improvement. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Chris24: How's your migraine today? I'd say the same: hold on! The first days are often a time when symptoms actually become more acute, as the body has to pass through major metabolic changes. Stepping back would be worse. And I'm very confident that your trouble will go away soon, and for good this time.  :)  Meanwhile, have you searched the forum for this topic? Or opened your own thread to ask about it? This way you can find help from people who know about it.

My master recipe for curry is: Cut whatever meat or poultry you're doing in small/medium pieces, rub all over in good quality curry powder, sauté in coconut oil, add in coconut milk, simmer. Serve with cilantro and a fresh side dish like banana slices bathed in lime juice or cucumber with mint. I'm sure there are a lot of fancier recipes out there!

I was suffering terribly from joint pain (one of several horrid side effects of the oral chemotherapy I take daily to reduce my risk of cancer recurrence - I'm a 3 time survivor)  before I started this Whole30, and it's GONE.  Completely.  Totally.  Gluten is my enemy!

Jayelle, so good to hear that!  :)

In a much lighter category, I'm noticing that an annoying twitching in the eyelid I'd had for months hasn't appeared in the last 2 or 3 days...

Iamspacey - As RLW mentioned, some lettuce is more bitter. Many French chefs refuse to serve non-green (purple, etc) lettuce/salad on the grounds that it's too bitter. Sometimes you'd find lettuce mix marked as French style, this means no purple lettuce :)

How strange, I had no idea!   :D  I think my compatriots do eat purple lettuce, though. It's in several salads at the French restaurant I work for.

Iamspacey: In any case, the slightly bitter taste is no impediment for a home-made dressing. Olive oil with balsamic vinegar would be my choice for such a salad: it's slightly sweet and has no tannins that could make those from the lettuce harsh.

Welcome to day 5. Its been fairly easy for me so far but I tend to eat Paleo more often then not anyways so I am somewhat used to the meal planning, etc. Breakfast today is butternut squash hash topped with taco meat, guacamole, and salsa. Lunch is taco salad. Dinner will be blackened salmon and roasted veggies. To address some of the above comments, my husband also feels like he is eating to much because he is not hungry all the time. I have to keep reminding him that he shouldn't feel hungry all the time. Its what we have been taught all our lives- eat the smallest amount possible, starve between meals and then maybe you will lose a little weight. It takes awhile for your head to wrap around the idea that we shouldn't feel like we are starving. 

Jayelle, good for you!!!!

Hmm, I'm not feeling "kill all things" but more like "eat all things." I think I'm overdoing the nuts a little bit. Sparkling water with lime is helping greatly with the Coke Zero/wine cravings. At least that's what I tell myself. :P

A treat I am loving is strawberries and blueberries, with whole fat coconut milk and slivered almonds. YUM.

Oh, please someone tell me what is up with coconut oil and coffee?? The idea of any type of oil in my coffee sounds gross! :unsure:

Hi, CB.  Love the idea of berries w/coconut milk and almonds!  Will try that for sure.  As for oil in coffee, it's just another form of fat, like cream.  For me, it's all about the mouth-feel of the coffee.  Fat makes it slightly more viscous.  To be honest, I haven't tried coconut oil in my coffee, but I've had coconut milk - yum.  I was nut-free yesterday (and today, too!) because that's a food that I have a hard time controlling.  When I'm craving crunch, I go for carrots.  Works like a charm. 

My day 6 checkin. I feel like I'm spending all of my time cooking, or thinking about cooking, or wondering if my husband will like all the new foods we're trying (he's doing the W30 with me, and is having a much harder adjustment to the new style of eating). I knew that this month would involve extra work, but I already wonder how I could possibly sustain this much food prep after our W30 is over. We both work full-time and have very busy lives. I hope by the end of W30 I've found ways to simplify my food prep and planning so I can incorporate this into our regular routine.

Last night I couldn't sleep. I hadn't had any caffeine after noon and no particular reason why I should be so wired, but I was unable to sleep until almost 1 in the morning. Instead of dragging like I normally would after a night of insomnia, I feel wired again this morning. It's really strange. Has anyone else experienced this?

Day 6! I went to eat at lunch with my coworkers today. We can't go out because we only get a 30 min lunch, but it was hard seeing all that soda (and someone had a mini Brie! On crackers!) I had a bigger breakfast and added a salad and some nuts to my lunch and feel way better. Cooked chicken last night in a spice mix and 1/2 c of coconut milk and it was amazing! I wish I had chile lime jicama to go with it, but alas. I like to cook meals that all have the same feeling and go together, but that doesn't seem possible with the rotating leftovers and working around the fact that my boyfriend eats dinner but doesn't pack lunch and isn't eating meat, haha. So my coco chicken was eaten with a garlic/shallot filled portabello mushroom and mashed sweet potatoes. Also, don't tell the whole30 gods, but I finally hid my scale on day4, and I feel way better with it gone. Don't be afraid to give it up!!!

Re: eating too much - I put in my yesterday where I had a total fruit/nut binge after work because I hadn't packed properly for breakfast and lunch. I eat until I am super satiated. I use compliant dressing on my veggies. I had two servings of sweet potato! I still only came in at 1300 calories, so I really do believe that you cannot overeat as long as you're not tossing back a can of nuts every meal.

Re: light breakfast - today I discovered my new breakfast heaven: smoked salmon. Make sure it's compliant and then wrap it up in some veggies or wrap your veggies up in it (I rolled the light part of raw green onions up on little slices). That was a side to my egg muffins and it was perfect.

Re: curry:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-curry-in-a-hurry-29301

This is my pre-whole30 recipe. I already cut the yogurt normally, so I'm just cutting the flour and subbing olive oil to help the spices stick to the chicken and keeping the rest. I like to put sweet potatoes in my curry ala Rachel Ray, so I usually chop them up and add them in to the pan to cook with the chicken.

Day 6:

Ate well had a good day, pretty cheerful with the students. My usual self I would say..

Then all of a sudden KILL ALL THE THINGS around 330 (thank god I had left work) this left me unhappy about everything almost in tears my nom nom paleo cookbook didn't arrive today Aamazzoonnnn  saiiiddd it woulldddd beee heereee ( in the whiniest way possible)

I probably shouldn't have been so focused on getting it and making something new and amazing for dinner. So I was a bit of a wreck and had to go to the beer store to get DH his case of beer I always get him when he comes back from camp... walked past the wine I swear I could smell a nice Pinot Noir...

Got home grumpy and tired asked my friends for advice and one actually worked! 20 minutes of attempting Zumba on my TV and I was laughing so hard I feel great now and made a nice coleslaw and grilled chicken dinner :) 

Now to see if for the first time I can get to bed before midnight...I wake up at 730 for a quick yoga challenge and boy I have been sleepy in the am! ( I don't drink coffee or tea)

Hi - love reading everyone's comments. i am worried i am eating too much. I never usually have three big meals, or red meat and i feel like the recipes I've made require a lot of oil. Does anyone else feel like this? So far everyday i've had a breafkast frittata w/ some meat and veggies, and a piece of fruit. for lunch a salad and either fish or chicken and then another piece of fruit for a snack before the gym, and dinner always broccoli and a large portion of meat and sweet potato fries, etc. It seems like a lot! Maybe my portion are too big? does anyone else feel like they are eating more than usual with the Whole 30? 

Thank you! Curious if I am doing it wrong, or if my body is just adjusting to added protein and not filling it with empty calories... 

I feel like I am eating too much. I looked like I was 4 months pregnant after I ate dinner tonight. I was hoping that Whole30 would change my body shape, unfortunately this was not the shape I was hoping for. Maybe day 16 will be better.

Ooh I need to have a look at the timeline... Is day 6 Kill All Things? I'm doing surprisingly well at the moment, and even managed to watch my kids demolish cookie dough ice cream without diving into the tub :D not feeling hungry fro breakfast today :/ unusual, but I've just forced some down as I know otherwise I will be starving later. No mad cravings, no food dreams - am I really doing a whole 30? ;)

Everything was going great for me and then...... all of a sudden I was very emotional, depressed, almost tearful for several hours. It was very odd. I am glad to say I am fine now, but obviously the hormones are shifting or something.

Last time I did a W30 I was very aware of the positve impact - by the end- of being separated from my various addictions for all that time. I think the other side of that coin can be lots of feelings pushing up that would otherwise be submerged in food, wine, chocolate, etc. etc. etc. I find that just giving the feelings a little air time allows them to surface and pass through. Then ultimately the load gets lighter.

Hi, CB.  Love the idea of berries w/coconut milk and almonds!  Will try that for sure.  As for oil in coffee, it's just another form of fat, like cream.  For me, it's all about the mouth-feel of the coffee.  Fat makes it slightly more viscous.  To be honest, I haven't tried coconut oil in my coffee, but I've had coconut milk - yum.  I was nut-free yesterday (and today, too!) because that's a food that I have a hard time controlling.  When I'm craving crunch, I go for carrots.  Works like a charm. 

I am bad with nuts too. I can't buy them in a bigger tin because I'll just eat the whole thing. :( I know I need to cut back and focus more on veggies, which I have probably had the least of.

Is anyone elses sleep all over the place? I was so exhausted yesterday evening, but the previous nights stayed up late because I just wasn't tired yet.

I have to be honest, I am craving a HUGE burger!!!

Ooh I need to have a look at the timeline... Is day 6 Kill All Things? I'm doing surprisingly well at the moment, and even managed to watch my kids demolish cookie dough ice cream without diving into the tub :D not feeling hungry fro breakfast today :/ unusual, but I've just forced some down as I know otherwise I will be starving later. No mad cravings, no food dreams - am I really doing a whole 30? ;)

This one had been mild for me too! I wonder what the next few weeks will bring. Still not sleeping enough.

CayrBear, my sleep has been all over the place too.  In the last four nights, I've had one good one.  Because I often take a sleep aid, I am really hoping that eventually I won't need one at all.  So very frustrating.  

Last night I dreamt I went to Dairy Queen, and even had treats stuffed in my purse for later!  Wasn't a good feeling to wake up to thinking I had to start all over.  

I need to get more active now, to start helping with sleep I think.  What are your favorite exercises for a 52 year old couch potatoe?

I slept great the first 4 nights but nights 5 and 6 had a lot of muscle aches and tossing and turning...hopefully this is just another detox side effect and it will pass soon. I am on day 7 today and right on track with the timeline. Soooooo sleepy.

Good morning!  I ended up traveling late last week so I started January 5 instead of January 2, making this day 4.  I had carefully the studied the Whole30 timeline and was pleasantly surprised when my days 2 and 3 were pretty manageable--no headaches or heavy detox symptoms--which was kind of a miracle given my record leading up to the Whole30.  

Most of all I am enjoying things and already can tell a shift in my energy levels.  I haven't tried any heavy exercise yet, but have a yoga class tonight and may try a short run on Thursday.

One thing I have noticed are extremely vivid dreams.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm talking highly realistic, active, long sagas that sort of confuse me when I wake up!  As in, how much of that really happened??  Last night I had one of the best sleeps I've had in a while, almost 9 straight hours, and I feel physically rested and rejuvenated but mentally a little drained from the dream!

I haven't looked very closely at these forums but maybe this is something common as our bodies adjust.  

CayrBear, my sleep has been all over the place too.  In the last four nights, I've had one good one.  Because I often take a sleep aid, I am really hoping that eventually I won't need one at all.  So very frustrating.  

Last night I dreamt I went to Dairy Queen, and even had treats stuffed in my purse for later!  Wasn't a good feeling to wake up to thinking I had to start all over.  

I need to get more active now, to start helping with sleep I think.  What are your favorite exercises for a 52 year old couch potatoe?

My favorite exercise is Pilates. Make sure you take with a qualified instructor who can give you modifications for the movements. The class I take is filled with ladies 25 - 65. We all support each other and do what we can. I feel so good after class.

I feel good today! Energetic and in a happy mood, even though I didn't sleep much.

My day 6 checkin. I feel like I'm spending all of my time cooking, or thinking about cooking, or wondering if my husband will like all the new foods we're trying (he's doing the W30 with me, and is having a much harder adjustment to the new style of eating). I knew that this month would involve extra work, but I already wonder how I could possibly sustain this much food prep after our W30 is over. We both work full-time and have very busy lives. I hope by the end of W30 I've found ways to simplify my food prep and planning so I can incorporate this into our regular routine.

Don't worry, once you get the hang on cooking you won't spend much time on it, nor on thinking of it. You'll probably do simpler things too, on a daily basis. I learned how to cook in my teens-twenties, and I remember at first I was following recipes, buying special ingredients and spending hours in the kitchen (which I enjoyed a lot, I must say). But now I can pretty much grab anything that's handy and make a nice meal out of it without thinking. As for planning, it just came naturally, too: after some times getting stuck with an empty fridge, I learned how to replenish the basics each week, and take profit of the opportunities, thinking instantly how I can prepare them and what I need for it. So keep practicing, go for the master recipes like how to roast a chicken, and cooking will soon be a breeze!

I feel like I am eating too much. I looked like I was 4 months pregnant after I ate dinner tonight. I was hoping that Whole30 would change my body shape, unfortunately this was not the shape I was hoping for. Maybe day 16 will be better.

Could it be that your meal wasn't rich enough in fat and protein, so you had to eat a lot of volume to be satisfied?

If not, it could rather mean that your tummy is reacting to an ingredient you don't tolerate well, and now that you eat clean, you perceive the irritation more clearly.

Or, as someone reminded me when I complained about my bloated tummy, your body is still adjusting and may get uncomfortable at times.

I love yoga, swimming and sprinting (which doesn't mean I do it a lot). There's a book I want to check out: Your Primal Body, by Mikki Reilly.

Day 7 and it's my first day back to work. I am pleasantly surprised with how much better I feel! Not being home all day focusing on food helps so much. I still have some headaches, but lots more energy. 

I would love to hear if some people have some cheap and easy meals. I am working on doing this on a strict budget, and always need ideas! 

Day 7 and it's my first day back to work. I am pleasantly surprised with how much better I feel! Not being home all day focusing on food helps so much. I still have some headaches, but lots more energy. 

I would love to hear if some people have some cheap and easy meals. I am working on doing this on a strict budget, and always need ideas! 

My favorite meals are soups. Sometimes I throw some veggies in a pot, add some compliant chicken broth maybe a splash of coconut milk and I am good. You might want to check out Clara's Kitchen. She is now over 97 and lived through the depression she has a lot of cheap meals. Unfortunately most of them use pasta, beans and potatoes but I think you can adjust them to paleo using spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. This one is my favorite. I make it with sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yREFkmrrYiw. I also make some spaghetti sauce with just a few meatballs and serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini. I eat a lot of eggs even if they are $5 a dozen it is still cheap per serving.

Inexpensive cuts of meat in the crockpot usually tenderize nicely and go a long way!

I cleaned out the fridge and made soup!  Daughter comes home and says "this is the weirdest thing you've ever made".  Then she askes if it's w30!  She is doing w30 too and between the two of us, meals will be compliant. When my classes start next week, I'll need to be really organized and have meals ready.  Last semester my menu planning went south.  I'll have to head to the meal planning threads.  

Feeling pretty good today.  No headache, had a short power nap and feel pretty good.  I have been experiencing muscle aches but they'll pass too in a couple days.  

Made it through the first week and sleep has returned :) last night I slept like a baby after a few restless nights before. That was the thing I really noticed when I did my first Whole 30 was the quality of sleep, going to bed and falling immediately into a deep dark sleep and waking feeling refreshed. As soon as the crap returned to my diet, so did the poor sleep!

Day 6 was my kill all things day! Hoping that's calmed down today and I'm in a slightly more chilled out frame of mind!

Archived