Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Flamingo, your sleeping pattern sounds like mine.  Isn't it awful when you wake up and can't go back to sleep and all you can think about is "I have so much to do tomorrow!!!"  As an adult, I have struggled with sleep and I grew up with a Dad who also struggled with sleep. Valerian hasn't worked for me, but I have tried other sleep aids and currently have a prescrption for sleep for those times.  I've learned in my nursing classes how the older we get the less sleep or deep sleep we get.  I didn't want to hear that. 

My migraine is finally gone so I feel human today, got a few things done.  Still lots more to do this weekend. I finally found the timeline and it is amazing how closely I'm following it.  My jeans felt tighter and so I'm wearing sweats.  Thanks for posting that timeline Bethany, I don't know how I missed it.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 for me and I'm starting to get a little tempted by non-compliant foods.  Haven't had anything and the urges past, but it is a little harder now.  I have some work events Monday and Tuesday that will have all kinds of temptations but I plan on packing a lunch bag with some good snacks.  

Cici

Hi all - 

I'm just about finished with Day 9 of the program ... as it seems most of you would be as well seeing as I also started the Whole 30 on January 2nd. I've been thinking about signing up on the forum but didn't get around to it until right now. I actually really enjoyed reading these comments and then noticed that they stopped mid-way through December!! I'd  love to know how everyone is doing on the program ... I have a mix of emotions. Some days are much easier than others ... not sure if I'm feeling all the benefits the book talks about just yet but I'm still hopeful. I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing!! Any favorite recipes?? I'm loving cauliflower rice and zuccini noodles! Ok well hope to hear some additional feedback  :) 

Melissa

Hi all - 

I'm just about finished with Day 9 of the program ... as it seems most of you would be as well seeing as I also started the Whole 30 on January 2nd. I've been thinking about signing up on the forum but didn't get around to it until right now. I actually really enjoyed reading these comments and then noticed that they stopped mid-way through December!! I'd  love to know how everyone is doing on the program ... I have a mix of emotions. Some days are much easier than others ... not sure if I'm feeling all the benefits the book talks about just yet but I'm still hopeful. I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing!! Any favorite recipes?? I'm loving cauliflower rice and zuccini noodles! Ok well hope to hear some additional feedback   :)

Melissa

Welcome!! I know that there are posts everyday here. Maybe try reloading the page and checking again. There should be 16 pages of replies. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Chris 24, Cici, where are you? How are you doing?

Has anyone made commitments in the other 9 areas as recommended in the preparation process? I'm a little bit confused about that, because no one seems to talk about them. I must say that so far, I haven't been too compliant with them...  :ph34r:

Hi Beli,

I'm still here, thanks for checking! I'm working the program, finishing up day 9. All is going well. I started back to work and haven't had time to comment. Thanks for the curry recipe. I'm planning on trying it this weekend. I have felt much better, especially my mood. My migraine lifted after 3 days and then came back briefly on day 8. But this time my medicine knocked it right out and I have been fine since. I'm struggling with trying to get enough sleep since returning to work. I can relate to others who say some nights have been really good, then other nights, not so much.

I'm glad to see that you are feeling good as well! My energy level is also better and I successfully ate lunch out at a restaurant today. We had a work meeting where they served food and the only thing I could eat was fruit, so I probably overindulged but did stay compliant.

I'm glad you asked about goals in the other areas. I haven't been doing that well with them either.  <_<  Getting adequate sleep is one of them, meditating, exercising (cardio, yoga, and weights), and working on a book project are the ones I committed to. I'm hoping now that I am feeling better and have a little more confidence in my ability to be compliant with the eating part, that I can focus more on some of these other areas. Perhaps we can support each other here as well. How about others?

I also worry that I am eating too much at times. I will eat a big meal and feel full but it doesn't seem to last me for several hours, especially from lunch to dinner. So I still snack on nuts and fruit, but I'm controlling the portions. I also have difficulty eating breakfast within an hour of waking up. I try to eat something right away but find I end up eating small amounts over an extended period while I'm getting ready for work, driving there, and even when I first get in. So I guess I still have a lot of fine tuning to do. For me, it's a matter of figuring out what the priorities are because it's a lot of changes to make all at once. 

That's enough for now. I appreciate everyone's updates, comments, and suggestions!

Flamingo, do you do anything to try to go back to sleep when you wake up in the middle of the night like this? It must very upsetting on both your body and nerves the next day indeed. Have you seen a change in this pattern, for better or worse, since you started the W30?

I haven't been sleeping enough time the last few nights, and while I maintained my energy these past days, today I feel really in need of a nap. Fortunately nothing too bad. But 1) I ate less at breakfast (just couldn't), 2) the urge to munch al the time came back, —to mention only the food aspects.

I had made one of my side commitments to be in bed with everything switched off by 10PM, but I find it very hard to not take time to chat and see a movie with my husband, who comes home late. Or, if he sees a movie on his iPad in bed, to not watch it with him...! But I think I'll just have to. And, who knows?, maybe he'll accommodate some of his routine so we can be together without my lacking sleep...

One of my commitments is to be in bed with lights out by 10:30 PM on work nights, but it is really hard to get it done. So many things to do!

Oops I don't know why my computer wasn't showing all of the comments. It might be a little too much info but I have to ask ... Has anyone been feeling constipated?? I'm just wondering if this is normal ... I thought it would have subsided by now. Any input would be appreciated :)

So according to the timeline, today and tomorrow are the most likely days that people drop out of Whole30.

I am mostly eating according to the template now, although it still seems like a crazy amount of food, and especially protein. Pants are tight and workouts seem harder than normal. :huh:

I haven't had much issues with cravings for non-W30 foods this week, but I am still wanting to eat more fruit. I'm starting to wonder if it would be better if I cut out fruit entirely for X days, to see if this tames the fruit desire. Has anybody else done this, and if so, what were the results?

RLW - I am working only fruit consumption too. I like it in the morning and pre-wo, but that's a no go. Today I packed myself half am orange for my post-wo because I was going straight to a student performance, but it turns out that's a no go. I are it anyway because I was over two hours away from dinner.

I don't want to cut it completely, but I know I need to cut back and maybe decide it is a dinner food only so I'm not relying on that sugar for a little boost.

I am excited to eat fresh eggs tomorrow instead of microwaved ones and I have some compliant bacon...yum! I am definitely broadening my eating spectrum - using way less dressing (from one tbsp to one tsp) and adding more things toy salads (pep padres and artichoke hearts today).

I am actually really excited for my meal planning this week. My hand julienne slicer arrived, so zucchini 'pasta' is on te agenda!

I cut fruit entirely and it's definitely easier then it sounds... Fruit isn't really necessary, you can get the same if not more nutrients from veggies... And if you think about it fruit was only available to our ancestors seasonly.

Cutting fruit eliminated my sugar cravings and helped me get way more fat adapted. I think it's worth a shot for those trying to eliminate excess body fat.

Flamingo, your sleeping pattern sounds like mine.  Isn't it awful when you wake up and can't go back to sleep and all you can think about is "I have so much to do tomorrow!!!"  As an adult, I have struggled with sleep and I grew up with a Dad who also struggled with sleep. Valerian hasn't worked for me, but I have tried other sleep aids and currently have a prescrption for sleep for those times.  I've learned in my nursing classes how the older we get the less sleep or deep sleep we get.  I didn't want to hear that. 

My migraine is finally gone so I feel human today, got a few things done.  Still lots more to do this weekend. I finally found the timeline and it is amazing how closely I'm following it.  My jeans felt tighter and so I'm wearing sweats.  Thanks for posting that timeline Bethany, I don't know how I missed it.

I suffered from interrupted sleep for a long time (fell asleep with no problem, then woke in the middle of the night).  Melatonin has been a godsend for me. 3mg before bedtime.  No hangover.  Could be worth a try for you. Good luck!

Survived my Friday evening martini craving last night.  I'm not a big drinker, but boy I love my dirty martini after a long week!  I am not craving anything else (thankfully), energy is up, joint pain still gone.  Tummy gurlging is getting better (can be embarrassing in a meeting!). 

We are 1/3 done with this life-changing journey!  I'm traveling on biz this week, so I have a couple of hurdles to jump over, but my commitment is not wavering - I just feel too darn good. Happy weekend, everyone!

Starting to get in the swing again. Meals have been yummy and filling, and I'm feeling less and less like snacking. Roasted some spicy chicken legs last night, some steamed broccoli, roasted an acorn squash with coconut butter, and had some raw jicama slices. All awesome. 

My 15 month old hasn't been sleeping well though, so that means I don't sleep well. He woke up at 10:30 screaming, so I brought him in my room. My husband promptly left for the guest bedroom (nice), and I got a very fitful night of sleep with a fussy, squirmy baby sleeping on my head. He was up for good at 5:30, so no sleeping in here either. 

This morning I had an 3 egg omelet with leftover broccoli, a piece of the acorn squash and a few pieces of jicama. I love when I can use one meal for days! 

I'm off to go workout and de-stress from last night. Hope everyone has a great day!

I cut fruit entirely and it's definitely easier then it sounds... Fruit isn't really necessary, you can get the same if not more nutrients from veggies... And if you think about it fruit was only available to our ancestors seasonly.

Cutting fruit eliminated my sugar cravings and helped me get way more fat adapted. I think it's worth a shot for those trying to eliminate excess body fat.

I found the same thing. The more fruit I eat, the more I feel like snacking and the more sugar I crave. 

I have to give myself props....Yesterday was NOT a good day. At all. I wanted SO BAD to dive face-first into a bottle of tequila last night, and was very close to saying "eff it" and having a shot. But I didn't. Tonight will be hard, I'm going to a concert with 8 friends, ALL of which will be drinking a lot! Club soda will be my friend.

I too need to pay more attention to the template...I think I'm eating too many nuts and not enough vegetables....

CayrBear, remember it's for you. You don't want to fail yourself for a high on some beverage. In 20 days you can try and see if you still like it. Meanwhile... enjoy your hangover-free Sunday!  ;)

Flamingo, I sometimes use a pharmaceutical sedative too when I can't get to fall asleep. I don't like to do that, but it sure beats being a wreck for the next 24 hours.

Last night I had my new blackout curtains and though I went to bed early, I couldn't get up in the morning, I kept falling asleep again, that was so weird.  :o

Day 9 for me and I'm starting to get a little tempted by non-compliant foods.  Haven't had anything and the urges past, but it is a little harder now.  I have some work events Monday and Tuesday that will have all kinds of temptations but I plan on packing a lunch bag with some good snacks.  

Cici

Cici, good to hear from you. You're right, pack some good healthy snacks! Don't hesitate to bring nuts and dry fruits if everybody around you is munching and it makes it hard on your resolution. It may not be ideal, but it's way better than falling off the wagon. 

I also worry that I am eating too much at times. I will eat a big meal and feel full but it doesn't seem to last me for several hours, especially from lunch to dinner. So I still snack on nuts and fruit, but I'm controlling the portions. I also have difficulty eating breakfast within an hour of waking up. I try to eat something right away but find I end up eating small amounts over an extended period while I'm getting ready for work, driving there, and even when I first get in. So I guess I still have a lot of fine tuning to do. For me, it's a matter of figuring out what the priorities are because it's a lot of changes to make all at once. 

I've read in another thread (or was it here? :huh: ) a moderator advised  someone who had the same issue with breakfast to do just that. So keep on and give it time!

I too have been eating A LOT since the beginning of my Whole30. :blink:  As I don't have any weight issue, I haven't been worried and I just assume my body has a lot of nutrients to get. I don't know if you have any concern about gaining some weight by eating much, but I wouldn't worry. I believe if your body is telling you to eat, that's because it needs it for some reason. We'll see what happens later.

I haven't had much issues with cravings for non-W30 foods this week, but I am still wanting to eat more fruit. I'm starting to wonder if it would be better if I cut out fruit entirely for X days, to see if this tames the fruit desire. Has anybody else done this, and if so, what were the results?

I'm in summer like you and there is a lot of tempting fruit around.  B)  I think it says somewhere that it's normal to eat more fruit when it's in season: after all, we're wired for that. At the same time, I've found myself no eating as much fruit as I'm used to, because of the 3 big meals. After a full Whole30 plate, if I ask myself: honestly, do I feel hungry for these peaches? And the answer is usually no. Of course, when I didn't sleep well, like yesterday, the answer was: Let me have a bowl of fruit and coconut milk instead of a meal.  :ph34r: (I confess!) So I would say: do you think fruit promotes an unhealthy psychological response in you, or is it just a normal yummy good food you have at hand?

This world is crazy and I'm mad! I put artichoke hearts in my eggs this morning (just a few pieces) and I checked the ingredients a THIRD time after I ate them and saw CANE VINEGAR on the list. It's made from sugar: whyyyyy?

I am still considering myself compliant because I ate so little and it was completely unintentional, but why is there sugar in everything?

Not looking forward to this week. We are staying at my boyfriend's house which lacks a lot of cooking essentials (spices, different sized pans, big pots, etc) so on top of moving myself, my work clothes, my workout clothes, and my dog, I will be moving all my prepped food and cooking things. Can't wait until his lease is up and we move in, but for now, eeeek

• Moderators

This world is crazy and I'm mad! I put artichoke hearts in my eggs this morning (just a few pieces) and I checked the ingredients a THIRD time after I ate them and saw CANE VINEGAR on the list. It's made from sugar: whyyyyy?

I've never seen cane vinegar in particular mentioned, but the general rule is most vinegar, unless it has added sulfites or added sugar, is okay (like rice vinegar, balsamic, white wine, apple cider), except malt vinegar, which is assumed to have gluten in it.  Since many of those vinegars are made from ingredients that otherwise wouldn't be Whole30 compliant, but the vinegars are, I would think it would be the same for the cane vinegar. If you're concerned, post it as a question in the Can I Have...? part of the forum, where moderators are more likely to see it and respond.

Well, its been since 2 Jan, and so far so good, 100% compliant.........Im basically eating lots and lots of fruit.....strawberres, orange and dates......currently on a remote site in the Middle East so really hard to get good ingrediets....only real side effect is occasional hunger, guess i need to up the fats.....lets do it!

Fooch, so far so good, yes my BP was a bit on the high side, i will check it again in the next few days.....thanks for all the tips....im reading the sugar article on the forum resources section.......wasnt sure about some coconut stuff.......how are u going with the program??? leave the Coke zero......clean out the panty....im mean pantry!!!

Frans, send me some updates broer, how was ur second day?? Today went well, I ate some dates as snacks during the day and fruit!!

I'm in summer like you and there is a lot of tempting fruit around.  B)  I think it says somewhere that it's normal to eat more fruit when it's in season: after all, we're wired for that. At the same time, I've found myself no eating as much fruit as I'm used to, because of the 3 big meals. After a full Whole30 plate, if I ask myself: honestly, do I feel hungry for these peaches? And the answer is usually no. Of course, when I didn't sleep well, like yesterday, the answer was: Let me have a bowl of fruit and coconut milk instead of a meal.  :ph34r: (I confess!) So I would say: do you think fruit promotes an unhealthy psychological response in you, or is it just a normal yummy good food you have at hand?

I have a hard time limiting dried fruit, so there is none of it in the house for W30. But when it comes to fresh fruit, I think I just like it more than most people, especially, as you said, when it's in season and gorgeous. Here we don't get many things 12 months round as in the US; you eat it in season or wait til next year.

I'm also not sure how the carbs in fruit compare to carbs in starchy veg (which I can generally take or leave); this morning I ate sweet potato rather than fruit, and while from a fuel perspective it was ok, it was in no way as pleasing a meal.

Do you intend to stay off fruit permanently? In terms of fat adaptation, if I quit fruit entirely for a short time, will I be right back where I am now when I reintroduce fruit?

After a few days on W30, I stopped craving processed sugary stuff (ie in December I had agave in my coffee, gluten-free cookies, Nutella, etc., all of which made me want more more more).

Well, its been since 2 Jan, and so far so good, 100% compliant.........Im basically eating lots and lots of fruit.....strawberres, orange and dates......currently on a remote site in the Middle East so really hard to get good ingrediets....only real side effect is occasional hunger, guess i need to up the fats.....lets do it!

Good job, keep going Daan :lol: worth reading the book again, or looking at sections that you might have forgotten. i am still on track too! :blink:

Archived