Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

If it were just sugar I would say carry on buy soy does constitute a restart because it is a common stomach irritant. :( Instead of thinking of it as a restart think of it as an extension. That is the official ruling on such things. 

Feeling so incredibly defeated… To think I was halfway done.  It just seems that unless you cook *all* your food and are 100% sure of everything that went into it, there is no chance for success. Veeery tempted to have a cheat day (or weekend) before resetting, if resetting is what I have to do.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling so incredibly defeated… To think I was halfway done.  It just seems that unless you cook *all* your food and are 100% sure of everything that went into it, there is no chance for success. Veeery tempted to have a cheat day (or weekend) before resetting, if resetting is what I have to do.

Don't feel defeated and I would advice against having a cheat day. Just extend don't reset. Trust me you will feel better for it. I know it is frustrating but use this as a learning experience not a stick to beat yourself up with. You didn't fail! 

I would also urge you to get the concept of "cheating" out of your mentality. While it is appropriate within a 30 day challenge like this one it really reeks of the diet mentality and gets us into trouble when we ride our own bikes. I know longer think of things as cheating. I just make choices now. Every choice will either make me more healthy or less healthy but it is a choice and it has no impact on my self worth as a human being.

Could you share your egg casserole recipe?

I kinda just played it by ear. I cooked up a pound of ground pork with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I added a bag of frozen spinach to that and just got it warm. I took 12 eggs and scrambled them, added 2 shredded sweet potatoes, a can of coconut milk, and a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. I put the pork/spinach mixture in a casserole dish, poured the egg mixture over it and mixed it a bit. I baked in the over at 375 degrees for 45 min. 

My sister has done it with chicken sausage ( I couldn't find any without sugar), and rainbow swiss chard. So easy, and very satisfying. 

Day 19 begins and I have had another terrible night's sleep. Going to sleep is easy, it's staying that way! I wake periodically throughout the night. It's like I can't sleep because I want to be up doing things and actually have the energy to do them.

There are several topics in the forums from people with similar problems. Not enough carbs could be one reason. I will also try a supplement.

Electronics could also be an issue, my phone is my alarm so it's on by my bed and I need an alarm 6 mornings a week. I guess I will just have to silence it and leave it untouched from 9pm. I also love gaming, I thought a late night on the Xbox on Friday might have been the cause of my sleep problems, but it happens when I read as well. Yesterday, I built Lego with my daughter all afternoon and I still slept badly. I was in bed late, tossed and turned all night and still woke at 7.

So, from today I will add more carbs. I will eat my last meal by 7pm (sometimes it's 9pm) and from tomorrow, I will eat something within an hour of waking (I've been awake 90 mins already today and I'm not up) and I will try to find a suitable supplement and remember my herbal tea.

Day 19 begins and I have had another terrible night's sleep. Going to sleep is easy, it's staying that way! I wake periodically throughout the night. It's like I can't sleep because I want to be up doing things and actually have the energy to do them.

There are several topics in the forums from people with similar problems. Not enough carbs could be one reason. I will also try a supplement.

Electronics could also be an issue, my phone is my alarm so it's on by my bed and I need an alarm 6 mornings a week. I guess I will just have to silence it and leave it untouched from 9pm. I also love gaming, I thought a late night on the Xbox on Friday might have been the cause of my sleep problems, but it happens when I read as well. Yesterday, I built Lego with my daughter all afternoon and I still slept badly. I was in bed late, tossed and turned all night and still woke at 7.

So, from today I will add more carbs. I will eat my last meal by 7pm (sometimes it's 9pm) and from tomorrow, I will eat something within an hour of waking (I've been awake 90 mins already today and I'm not up) and I will try to find a suitable supplement and remember my herbal tea.

Sounds like you are getting the idea. I also use my phone as my alarm. I put it on silent (the alarm still goes off) and I flip it front side down so the light doesn't bother me and I try not to touch it until the alarm goes off. I also love gaming. I try to turn off all bright screens an hour before bed. I usually read on my normal kindle (no back light) until I start falling asleep. Just some things to add to your already good plan of attack.

Another Friday and Saturday night with no wine. :) One more weekend to go! I have to admit, by now I am dying for just a little chocolate. Just a mini Reese's peanut cup or something! Although I will admit, I enjoy fruit so much more than I ever did before. It is amazing how much joy biting into a fresh peach gives me, or a handful of blueberries and raspberries...mmm.

I kinda just played it by ear. I cooked up a pound of ground pork with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I added a bag of frozen spinach to that and just got it warm. I took 12 eggs and scrambled them, added 2 shredded sweet potatoes, a can of coconut milk, and a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. I put the pork/spinach mixture in a casserole dish, poured the egg mixture over it and mixed it a bit. I baked in the over at 375 degrees for 45 min. 

My sister has done it with chicken sausage ( I couldn't find any without sugar), and rainbow swiss chard. So easy, and very satisfying. 

Thanks!

The start of day 20 and I have slept poorly again. I added in my carbs, I had some 'sleep' tea. I didn't touch my phone after setting the alarm at 9pm. I had a nice bath and read till 10.30pm. Lights out and asleep fairly easily, but broken repeatedly throughout the night :( I get back to sleep almost instantly but that feeling of having tossed and turned all night and waking up looking and feeling like a zombie needs to go.

I have ordered some magnesium oil spray and bath flakes which might arrive before the week is out. Hopefully, that will help.

Had people over for barbeque this weekend and it really wasn't too bad. If I hadn't been on W30, I likely would have had a glass of wine, some potato salad, and ice cream and/or cream in my coffee. As it was, I ate lamb and beef with a huge pile of chopped green salad with just-picked tomatoes for the meal and berries for dessert.

And very excited to have just found compliant bacon! This morning for breakfast I made a couple of slices, and then cooked asparagus and eggs in its fat. I had it all on a bed of lettuce plus a few strawberries.

I still really don't like plain black coffee. I tried coconut milk, but it was meh at best, and I'm not crazy about eating things out of cans anyway. Most days this past week I went out for espresso instead. At some point in the not-too-distant future I'd like to get off caffeine too, but I doubt it will be during W30.

I don't have a scale, but I know that my pants aren't any looser yet. I've been pretty good about exercise throughout. I am about two sizes larger than what is a healthy size for me (three larger than my preferred size ...but I was last that size nearly 20 years ago).

Oh no! The stomach bug has hit our home. Me and my husband (who never gets sick) were up all night. I had made such a yummy meal of pulled pork over mashed plantains and greens. Unfortunately, we didn't get to enjoy it. I've put all my exciting meals on hold, and we are just in survival mode now. Honestly, the only thing I could get down was a couple of frozen mango chunks. 

Any ideas of what to eat when my stomach feels gross? 

Oh no! The stomach bug has hit our home. Me and my husband (who never gets sick) were up all night. I had made such a yummy meal of pulled pork over mashed plantains and greens. Unfortunately, we didn't get to enjoy it. I've put all my exciting meals on hold, and we are just in survival mode now. Honestly, the only thing I could get down was a couple of frozen mango chunks. 

Oh nooooo! Chicken broth?? Drink a lot of water.....

I am doing well today, feeling good and energetic. I am in control and it is great. I don't think I have tiger blood yet but I am loving the way I feel in general. My husband is also still loving this. Today I am doing a big cook up for the week which will give me a little bit of a break in the kitchen this week. I think all the cooking and cleaning is the hardest part of this program. 

I'm here  :)  I'm having a good weekend (Sunday-Monday for me). No anxiety! Taking things easy but still getting things done. Gave myself a nice hot bath before going to bed last night. Went back to the swimming pool this morning, so good.  B)

The start of day 20 and I have slept poorly again. I added in my carbs, I had some 'sleep' tea. I didn't touch my phone after setting the alarm at 9pm. I had a nice bath and read till 10.30pm. Lights out and asleep fairly easily, but broken repeatedly throughout the night :( I get back to sleep almost instantly but that feeling of having tossed and turned all night and waking up looking and feeling like a zombie needs to go.

I have ordered some magnesium oil spray and bath flakes which might arrive before the week is out. Hopefully, that will help.

I'm sure you're in the right direction. Don't worry if you don't see results yet, it may take some time. Have you always had trouble sleeping or is your mind a little restless about something these days?

I still really don't like plain black coffee. I tried coconut milk, but it was meh at best, and I'm not crazy about eating things out of cans anyway. Most days this past week I went out for espresso instead. At some point in the not-too-distant future I'd like to get off caffeine too, but I doubt it will be during W30.

Have you tried a real good coffee? To me it makes all the difference. I usually don't like coffee too much, but when it's a freshly roasted, freshly ground French-pressed coffee that's another story. And Heaven protect he who try to pour some milk or sugar in it, it's too good to stand company! :lol:  

If you're not hungry, just fast, there's nothing wrong with it. Just stay well hydrated by drinking water, you can add lemon juice, a little sea salt and/or baking powder (sodium bicarbonate) for flavor and electrolytes.

Otherwise, bone broth is THE thing.

And if you feeling like eating, maybe just be moderate on the fruit and veggies, especially raw, since they can irritate your stomach more.

Coconut water, tea, and bone broth are my go to options. 

Greetings from the land of high energy, no joint pain and happy taste buds!  Oh, and sub-zero temps, but let's just forget that for a minute.  I survived a business trip last week.  Carried carrots and almonds as emergency go-tos.  Figured before I left that I had to plan 3 meals while away - 1 dinner (I got to pick the restaurant - steakhouse), 1 lunch (was worried about that) and 1 breakfast (slam dunk - eggs are my friends).  Lunch worked out fine (salad with roasted chicken, veggies, no croutons, no cheese, no dressing).  Whew. 

Unfortunately, I saw my endocrinologist today (I'm a thyroid cancer survivor, not to mention breast cancer twice) and she forced me to step on the scale.  Ugh.  I was going to do the "don't tell me!" routine, but I decided to suck it up and see where I was.  Somewhat disappointing, but I had to point out to my doctor that perhaps my weight had been impacted by my weight training.  I invited her to grab my thigh ("rock hard" she said!  btw, I'm 53 :D ), and allowed myself to think about my healthy behaviors instead of what the scale said (satanic device that it is!).

Starting to worry a bit about Super Bowl party.  Anyone ever make plantain chips?

Be good to yourselves!

Sleeping has been such a huge struggle for me in recent years.  We've known we need a new bed, but have just put that off.  I purchased a memory foam topper to give a little life, and that made the bed really comfortable.  But with all the pain I had been experiencing I pulled off the topper a few days ago and that was the source of much of the pain.  I'm pretty amazed, I have slept the last three nights without waking up.  All that to say, maybe if you're struggling with sleep, is it time for a new mattress?  We will have a new one delivered this week. Finally!

Energy is also making an appearance in my body.  Seems too good to be true.  I keep thinking I'm going to crash, but it is a good sustained energy and I really like it.  

Cold is back...grrr.  I am so ready to move south.

I'm at the end of a nasty cold - something which I very rarely get.  Maybe its detox, or maybe its just the luck of the draw...In spite of cough and sinus discomforts, I feel my energy quite steady and balanced, and my capacity to move forward and get things done increasing.  My sleep is barely worth commenting on, since it has been such a roller coaster ride for a long time, but last night was the deepest sleep in a while - perhaps thanks to an acupuncture treatment in the morning.  Interesting to realize by reading this forum how many of us struggle in some way with sleep.  Congratulations to all who are doing better, and encouragement to keep working with it to those who are not! 

Food continues to go pretty easily.  When I was feeling sick I depended on a soup which I made by mixing nomnom paleo style mashed roots (made with lots of ghee) with chicken broth to thin it to a soupy consistency, and then for protein I drizzled in beaten eggs - kind of like egg drop soup.  It had all the elements of the meal template and was very easy to get down while not feeling well.  Fortunately the mashed roots already were in the fridge, and the broth is something I home can and keep in the pantry - so it was pretty easy to prepare for myself. 

Cold weather is back here too - but warm and cozy inside, sunny and clear outside, all in all it feels good.  But michellet, I'm not sure that upstate New York is as cold as northern Wisconsin - we're hovering around 5 degrees today.  If that were much colder I might be looking south also!

Have you tried a real good coffee? To me it makes all the difference. I usually don't like coffee too much, but when it's a freshly roasted, freshly ground French-pressed coffee that's another story. And Heaven protect he who try to pour some milk or sugar in it, it's too good to stand company! :lol:  

Yes but if I keep a high-quality coffee at home then I will drink more!

I don't know if I would quite say 'tiger blood,' but my energy is definitely much improved over the first two weeks. I went for a run last night which was the best so far in Jan. This morning I got up and started work straight away (pretty unusual for me--I am not a morning person).

Starting being more of a "morning person" is one of the announced effects of the Whole30.  B)

Unfortunately, I saw my endocrinologist today (I'm a thyroid cancer survivor, not to mention breast cancer twice) and she forced me to step on the scale.  Ugh.  I was going to do the "don't tell me!" routine, but I decided to suck it up and see where I was.  Somewhat disappointing, but I had to point out to my doctor that perhaps my weight had been impacted by my weight training.  I invited her to grab my thigh ("rock hard" she said!  btw, I'm 53 :D ), and allowed myself to think about my healthy behaviors instead of what the scale said (satanic device that it is!).

Your body's working on getting healthy, which WILL lead you to lose weight if you have some extra pounds, because a healthy body has the right weight. But maybe it's not there yet! Maybe it has some other issues to fix before losing weight. Just give it time, you are very well on your way! (Congratulations on your business trip strategy!)

I'm feeling pretty good. The sugar dragon is still lurking. It's strange: I don't feel a potent craving, more like a longing. I know I have some chocolate candies in the cabinet and I'm not tempted. But I'm not indifferent either, I feel their taste on my tongue, I remember the feeling I get after I eat them. But I'm like sedated, a little sad, like it's away now and there's nothing I can do about it. (Thanks, tough, structured, accountable Whole30. If I made the rules, I would break them...)

I know I'm going to need much more than these 30 days to break that out. It's tame because it's strong. The more I'm without it, the more I see it for what it is: a real addiction, with high and all. I never knew.

Starting being more of a "morning person" is one of the announced effects of the Whole30.  B)

I'm feeling pretty good. The sugar dragon is still lurking. It's strange: I don't feel a potent craving, more like a longing. I know I have some chocolate candies in the cabinet and I'm not tempted. But I'm not indifferent either, I feel their taste on my tongue, I remember the feeling I get after I eat them. But I'm like sedated, a little sad, like it's away now and there's nothing I can do about it. (Thanks, tough, structured, accountable Whole30. If I made the rules, I would break them...)

I know I'm going to need much more than these 30 days to break that out. It's tame because it's strong. The more I'm without it, the more I see it for what it is: a real addiction, with high and all. I never knew.

This is how I feel about my sugar dragon. I resist pretty well, but sometimes....well, it's a long uphill battle that I still have a long way to go in this battle. :)

Beli, what an elegant description of sugar addiction.  It gets even uglier when the control switch is really off, and the sensory pleasure of the moment ends in an awful feeling of having eaten wayyyyyyy too much.  That feeling is both emotional and physical, but the process starts with the seduction which you describe.

Because an addictive relationship with sugar (and other food) is a major issue for me, I also am sure that 30 days isn't enough.  Maybe 60 isn't either, but that is actually my plan and I'll see what happens from there.  The other time I did a W30 I planned to continue to limit the sugar, etc. when the time was finished - but it all crept back and spiraled up with a vengeance!  I think that each experience of staying within the W30 limits builds the muscle of control and "right relationship" with my body, so I will hope that it will also become easier to remember and maintain limits when not following the strict W30 guidelines.

Dfroehlich, I see that you understand this as well, and share the attitude of just continuing up the hill! 

Oh my goodness - week four. We are in the final stretch! One thing I learned last week, Inka plantain chips are super delicious, and although technically compliant it is too hard for me to eat in moderation. I had half a bag in the morning with breakfast and half a bag in the afternoon as a snack before I read the nutrition label said 4 servings per bag 20 g carb per serving! Hardly in the spirit of W30. I had an unhappy tummy and learned my lesson.

Otherwise things are going pretty well. Getting a little bored, but super pleased with the deep and restful sleep. May do some chicken liver and capers... not exactly my favorite but if you add a lot of capers and a lot of mushrooms and serve on some shredded sauteed brussel sprouts or cabbage it's not too bad.

Archived