Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ErinL

Starting Jan. 2

Getting there...I have more energy but not tiger blood.  That will be pretty cool I think. ;) A little bored with food and I have to get more creative.  The headaches and migraines are still hanging on. I wonder if they're from the changing pressure systems we're having with this winter.  It will be more than 30 d for me too.  I don't desire or crave sugar, but i haven't allowed myself the luxury of smelling baked goods either.  So I'm pretty sure I'll need lots more time.  

Hello! Splendid day here! I turned down all lights at 10 and though I tossed and turnes for a while, I woke up ready to save the world! 

(...like, for instance, clean my house. :D ) At work, I got one serious thing done. I finally wrote 5 long due emails. Is this tiger blood, or rather tiger mind?

Flamingo: Two steps forward, one step back has been my journey all this year on paleo. :rolleyes:  But one is still going forward.

Michellet: Have you searched the forum for the cause of your headaches? It's a long time for a transition state...  :huh:

Where are the others? Report, please!  ;)

Hello all. I've been checking the forums every few days but not posting much. It's been going really well. I feel great and I definitely want to keep eating this way as much as possible after Day 30. My husband and I have already started discussing what it will be like after our Whole 30 and how we can keep this going. Who else is planning ahead to Day 31 and beyond? 

I do want to rant a little about something. In social situations I've had to explain to people why I'm not having a cocktail or why I'm packing my lunch instead of going out, and several people have started comparing what I'm doing to a juice cleanse. I've been forced to listen through all kinds of stories of people's irritable moods during juice cleanses, juice cleanses followed by margarita binges, etc. I try to say, "this isn't a cleanse like that at all..." but it doesn't seem to matter.  I had STEAK for dinner for pete's sake! 

They also assume that once my "diet" is up I'll be back to eating the same junk as before. Anyone have advice for dealing with other people who just don't get it?

They also assume that once my "diet" is up I'll be back to eating the same junk as before. Anyone have advice for dealing with other people who just don't get it?

Smile, nod, and roll your eyes as you walk away? ;)

If you haven't already check out the Crazy Things People Say thread. It will give you a great laugh and assure you you are not alone. 

Sometimes are actions speak louder than our words and I feel no need to defend my food choices to anyone anymore. The proof will be in the pudding. I think I was Paleo for about 3 months when people started asking me what I was doing and I would explain the basics and leave it there.

Michellet: Have you searched the forum for the cause of your headaches? It's a long time for a transition state...   :huh:

Beli, I haven't checked out this forum a lot for the headaches...I've done lots of searches...my provider still thinks it could be a really long jet lag...i've been home for three weeks from Germany, we are also going through some incredibly cold weather with low pressure.  So I don't know.  I'll check it out tonight.  Thanks. 

So close!

What are you guys planning on keeping in your post whole 30 life? I am really enjoying just avoiding sugary things altogether, but I don't think I'll be as crazy looking for it in everything. I don't miss beans, but I do miss soy. I long for dairy just so I can have my Greek yogurt instead of eggs! I am curious as to what role wheat will play in my future.

I don't like conversations where I have to justify myself. I explain the whole30 and my motivation is really to cut my sugar addiction, but people will be like "a little is ok!" And I'll try to explain that for me it's never a little, and they'll respond that a few cookies won't hurt, and I feel like I have to justify and be like "eating half a box of cookies in your car in the parking lot because you don't want your boyfriend to know about them is not normal, so f--- off!" But then that leads to awkwardness.

I just don't want to eat around other people because I feel awkward explaining and I am a little bitter and judgey about what they're eating. :/ I am looking forward to being social again.

What will I add?  I think limited amounts of dairy. I like butter on my food, and cheese occasionally.  I have tried ghee and thought it was awful. I don't want to add any sugar, wheat or processed food.  I might try some of the "sex with your pants on " recipes I have found but not as a regular event. For sure I'll add white potatoes, not often but I miss them!  I'm feeling so good that I really don't care what people think about my food intake.   

So close!

What are you guys planning on keeping in your post whole 30 life?

Good question. I think I am going to extend to a Whole35 or something around there. My pants fit exactly the same. Based on the results so far, this plan doesn't really work for me; maybe my body is going to take longer to adjust.

I have gone off sugar before for extended periods of time, and it was quite like this--once you're off, you're off, and it's easier physically and psychologically to not have any than to constantly pick and choose when you'll have your next fix.

I expect that at some point I will add back in butter and goat's milk/chevre, although I don't have a particular yearning for them.

Right now I am more interested in backing off of the quantity of all the animal products; I think I will likely start doing vegetable smoothies and juice in the morning (where the sweetest ingredient is a cucumber).

I don't like conversations where I have to justify myself. I explain the whole30 and my motivation is really to cut my sugar addiction, but people will be like "a little is ok!" And I'll try to explain that for me it's never a little, and they'll respond that a few cookies won't hurt, and I feel like I have to justify and be like "eating half a box of cookies in your car in the parking lot because you don't want your boyfriend to know about them is not normal, so f--- off!" But then that leads to awkwardness.

I think it's Marion Nestle who says that nutrition is right up there with politics and religion as an inflammatory topic.

I only told a couple of people who I thought would be supportive of W30, because I really don't want to invite other people to examine, comment on, and/or judge what I'm eating, especially when I'm just trying it out.

Last week we had people over for lunch, and I didn't say anything, even though at some point one of the people brought up the topic of eating paleo in general. Did they notice that I had piles of green salad but no potatoes? I don't know, but if I'd said anything, it likely would have led to somebody encouraging me to have "just a little" of something that I'd already decided weeks ago that I wouldn't be eating.

Maybe that will change later on, i.e., if I get to the "OMG you look amazing, what are you doing?" stage.

For now, if they offer a cookie, it's just, "No thank you."

Iamspacey - I totally get what you are saying about sugar addiction. Funny that no one responds that way if someone is an alcoholic and really can't drink at all! Although I am not addicted to alcohol, I have found that when I drink it tends to trigger loss of control with food - and I know that on some level alcohol is sugar. So I really have to reflect on that. I don't miss sugar. I do miss red wine!

I haven't decided how long i'm going to extend the whole30. It doesn't cause any major disruption in my home, so I could keep it going for a while. I will at least do a whole40. As far as reintroductions, I'm pretty sure I don't need anything added back in! lol. The only things I miss are some SWYPO foods, butter, and definitely red wine. I tend to overeat cheese and processed meats when I drink wine, so I need to figure that out too.

I remember how I felt when I went off the deep end, and I honestly am tired of it. I'm hoping to keep this going.  

For some reason I have found if I call it an "eating plan" rather than a diet people accept it a little better. Also if I just quietly bring my own stuff, like a tiny bottle of balsamic vinegar in my purse to dress my own salad if I am out etc.

I say things like that, too. "I'm intolerant to dairy" (true), "I'm doing an experiment to see if I can improve my energy"... I'm lucky that nobody bothers me.

What I would like is to be able to take some people with me... My husband, my son, my dad, my mom, my friend, my colleague... I see them struggle with health issues I've seen improved by living a paleo way of life, I try to share things with them, but I can't seem to make it convincing. I don't want to be pushy and new convert either...

What do I plan on doing after my Whole30's over? Keep sugar, alcohol and caffeine strictly out for at least one more month. Experiment with adding back white potatoes (sweet potatoes are expensive here and I can't find organic, whereas we are blessed with a lot of native andean potatoes) and maybe rice, —so: more like the Jaminet's version of paleo. On the other hand, I'm thinking of trying to eliminate night shades, eggs and FODMAPS for a month.

Looks like everybody's out on the weekend.  ;)

So... my buttocks cracked my pants today.  :D

I was squatting to lift a heavy box of wine (didn't know that sommelier was a physically demanding work, did you?), and, oops! the seems of my slacks cracked open at the hip.  :o

I had noticed my clothes were fitting a bit tighter these days. And no, it doesn't look like fat to me. It looks like muscle.  :)  YES!!! I feel like a tiger today.

For the record, I'm petite and thin, so I guess these things show easily. But for those of you who were disappointed about the (doctor's) scale... that may be what's happening.

Iamspacey: Thinking again about your difficulty getting people to understand why you don't want to eat these things, I realize they likely have the same issues as you (and me), only they don't acknowledge it. So it's like telling them: I don't want to make the same food choices as you do, because they're bad". So of course, they react saying: "just a little is good", because they think: "I don't want anybody telling me I shouldn't have my cookies". I guess that's why it's easier to invoque personal reasons...

Good point Beli, people have to justify why they allow themselves to have cookies. I find whenever I talk about how I'm eating around my friends they think I'm judging them on how they eat, so they give me this long explanation as to why they aren't eating healthy. I work long hours, I'm saving my money, or I'm just focusing on working out everyday... Really I don't care how they eat as long as they don't give me nutritional advice. Geheh.

Iamspacey, I used to eat a whole box of girl scout's cookies in one sitting, so yeah one cookie doesn't work. It gets out of hand quick. I am a all or nothing kind of person!

OMG Lawrence the girls out cookies! I am a teacher so people try to sell me cookies like, 5 times a day :(

It's actually liberating that nabisco makes a knock off of my cookie (caramel delights are my jam!) because I don't feel an urgency that they'll be gone soon. I think not eating packaged desserts will be one of my post whole3" rules though!

OMG Lawrence the girls out cookies! I am a teacher so people try to sell me cookies like, 5 times a day :(

Yeah, I have been asked to buy cookie dough this week. I feel badly saying no, but it's nothing I want anymore. They also offered "healthy" snacks that were all sugar as well. 

I did smell some popcorn in the teacher's kitchen on Friday and it smelled awesome. Oh well...

Thanks to Beli for mentioning the "Jaminet's version of paleo," which I had not heard of before, and have been reading about.  It sounds really, really interesting to me - especially in terms of the detail about specific foods which have particular value, and the guidance about  supplements.  I do intend to go forward with the W30 through the end of February, but I think I may read more about the Perfect Health Diet (I don't have the book yet), and move in that direction while still omitting the foods which would not be allowed on the W30.

Thanks to all for the wonderful sense of community and support provided just by reading a bit about each others' experiences on this W30.  It really keeps me convinced that there is no question about following the rules - and that's what it takes!

My husband really likes Jaminet's version of paleo.  I haven't read that yet however.  W30 will just have to be my go to for awhile. I do feel better on it. 

Happy Monday! Hope you all got some preparation cooking done yesterday. I did a little...got my egg casserole done, hard boiled eggs, and made chicken salad for my lunches. I meant to make the Czeck meatballs from Whole Fed, but genius me forgot to take the meat out when I left for church. Oh well, guess I'll be making those tonight along with some chicken liver bites.  I also have a beef heart sitting in my freezer that I desperately want to make, but I'm still kinda afraid. Anybody have any experience with that? 

Have a great week! 

I drank some wine.  :(

I had people over yesterday, had bought wine for them, had no intention of sharing it. Then in a snap while laying the table I decided wine wasn't so bad and the conviviality mattered more. Only after they went did I realize I had failed myself.

Ok, it's not that wine is terrible, I might perfectly have some occasionally when not on Whole30, but... I was on Whole30. And I was on Whole30 because I wanted to. It was my desire, and just because I feared some people could feel let down, I let myself down.

I'm not a very social person and I tend to not be myself when someone else is around. Maybe that's even the reason why I'm not a very social person, I realize. Forgetting about what I want/need because of somebody else's (supposed) preference has been a major issue in my life. I'm talking about not studying what I wanted to, staying married twelve years to a man I didn't love, being unable to run my own business because I couldn't bring myself to ask for money. Sorry to get so personal... This morning it's like all this is getting clearer because of that glass of wine.

Well, I'm going to thank that mistake for the clarity it's giving me, and wish it helps me learn to stick to myself.

I'd like to stay with you folks as I extend my Whole30. I feel I really need this sense of community and support.  ;)

I drank some wine.  :(

I had people over yesterday, had bought wine for them, had no intention of sharing it. Then in a snap while laying the table I decided wine wasn't so bad and the conviviality mattered more. Only after they went did I realize I had failed myself.

Ok, it's not that wine is terrible, I might perfectly have some occasionally when not on Whole30, but... I was on Whole30. And I was on Whole30 because I wanted to. It was my desire, and just because I feared some people could feel let down, I let myself down.

I'm not a very social person and I tend to not be myself when someone else is around. Maybe that's even the reason why I'm not a very social person, I realize. Forgetting about what I want/need because of somebody else's (supposed) preference has been a major issue in my life. I'm talking about not studying what I wanted to, staying married twelve years to a man I didn't love, being unable to run my own business because I couldn't bring myself to ask for money. Sorry to get so personal... This morning it's like all this is getting clearer because of that glass of wine.

Well, I'm going to thank that mistake for the clarity it's giving me, and wish it helps me learn to stick to myself.

I'd like to stay with you folks as I extend my Whole30. I feel I really need this sense of community and support.  ;)

You haven't failed yourself, as you've chosen to get back on the Whole30 wagon.  (And it sounds like you've gained some valuable insights as well.)

Dust yourself off, restart the clock at day 1, and move forward with the new clarity you've obtained.

Beli, like you said, this provided clarity.  A teachable moment, and now your back on whole 30.  Just a continuation of the new lifestyle you've chosen for yourself for better health and strength.  You have  a healthy attitude and perspective.

What I like about whole 30 is that it is a lifestyle, not a diet.  I'm not going to mess up today and go completely in the abyss of guilt and destruction eating everything in its path.  Because that slip was just a moment, and there are so many more ahead of us.  You've got this Beli!

Smile, nod, and roll your eyes as you walk away? ;)

If you haven't already check out the Crazy Things People Say thread. It will give you a great laugh and assure you you are not alone. 

Sometimes are actions speak louder than our words and I feel no need to defend my food choices to anyone anymore. The proof will be in the pudding. I think I was Paleo for about 3 months when people started asking me what I was doing and I would explain the basics and leave it there.

THANK YOU for pointing out that thread. It made my day. The dumb things people have said to me don't even come close to some of the gems in that thread.