Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Another Jan 2 starter here! My husband and I started following a Primal diet about 9 months ago but with vacations and holidays, the grains and sugar started sneaking back in recently.  Time for a re-set!  One of the biggest keys to success for us when eating clean Primal was always preparation...and so I have uber-prepped for Whole30.  Cleaned out the entire kitchen, did a big shop, chopped a ton of veg, cooked up some protein.  My husband was happy to do his part and eat up the remaining holiday treats. ;)

The only concern we both have is missing our Friday night wine, so we are planning to go to the movies every Friday evening as a fun distraction. 

Good luck everyone!  It's only 30 days! 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm in for 1/2 also.  I'm totally new to this, so glad to see I will have company.  I'm a 54 yo female and have been having serious issues with joint pain, and really feel like a clean diet will help.  I'm also a mountain biker and endurance athlete, and for a long time have depended on Waffle Stingers and PB&J for fuel on long rides.  Any ideas for a portable and effective source of nutrition that will be in line with this plan? Thanks!

You should check out the Whole30 for Athletes section if you haven't already -- I'm sure you'll find lots of information there. 

I started today, a day early. I'd intended to start tomorrow to allow for the traditional blackeyed peas for luck on New Year's Day (and probably some cornbread along with them), but I decided I needed to get started on this more than I needed good luck right now. So day one is over for me, it went pretty well. I have had some sugar cravings, but that was to be expected, given how many sugary treats I've had over the last couple of weeks. 

Anyway, I hope everybody's done all their food planning and prepping so you all get off to a strong start in the morning!

Good luck Kim!!

Hi all,

I'm Kim and I'm ready to go on 1/2 also. Last year I started out the year eating mostly paleo but included yogurt and cheese :) I did really well for four to six months eating good, limiting cheats, and exercising regularly (I take group fitness class 3 days a week and it's an awesome mix of cardio and weights and varies daily). About mid year I got super busy with work traveling and working long hours, food went horribly wrong and ended up missing more workouts than I made. This all culminated at the end of the year maybe working out 4-6 times per month and eating horrible. Lost 30 pounds only to regain 15. I've read the book and done my research and honestly think Monday-Friday will be the easiest as I generally always take my food to work with me. Having prepared meats and plenty of veggies on hand should make the evenings easier as well. Weekends will be tough as I tend to overheat then! I plan on using my treadmill and TRX on the weekends to help keep me focused and accountable.

Hope to start out strong and finish stronger! Good luck to everyone and I look forward to your help and insight on this journey :)

Happy New Year!

I am starting January 2nd as well.

This is my first time trying a paleo diet, though I am gluten-free and generally eat pretty clean. The past few weeks have had a lot of sugary indulgences though, and I am glad to be making a clean break with sugar. (Though not looking forward to giving up agave!)

I am in South Africa; it's high summer and there are all kinds of gorgeous fruits and veggies in season right now to help keep things interesting.

Hello Capetown, ex Pretoria boutjie here, good luck with the program, stay away from the 'papsak' over there!!!

Ok, so day one went well. No cravings. Spent the afternoon cleaning my almost - teens room, cue much sneezing from the dust. Had a nice early night, still sniffling, been awake since 3am with a banging headache. Sugar hangover or beginnings of a cold (I'm still sneezing), I don't know, but I do need some sleep :(

Hello Capetown, ex Pretoria boutjie here, good luck with the program, stay away from the 'papsak' over there!!!

Hoezit Daan

How was your first day?

Cheers

Foosh

Hi everyone, I'm starting my whole 30 today. I completed my first whole 30 last year in June and the experience was amazing, I have never felt so healthy, I slept amazingly, and I lost over 15 pounds in weight. I immediately followed with another 30 days and couldn't see me ever going back to my old habits. I'm ashamed to say though that I did, bit by bit I started making bad choices and before I knew it my old habits had totally crept back in - along with the weight I lost! So I'm starting the year with another whole 30 and really hoping this will set me up for a totally paleo lifestyle. I'm in the UK so I'm just starting my day one as some of you are finishing yours :)

Day 10 today. Having vegetable soup with meat balls and coconut milk for breakfast. Lunch will be green salad with a side of tuna (without soy) and homemade mayo. Dinner will be baked chicken legs, roasted sweet potatoes and veggie stir fry. Snacks will be an apple and a pear.

Hi I'm Helen and live in dfw texas

Im 56 and my health has taken a turn. Without a thyroid nothing has worked. I work long hours and eat wrong. Lots of carbs and sugar. I have twins 8 yr olds and usually eat whatever is quick and easy (wrong). I want to eat right and feel better. Im learning to get the bad stuff out and the good stuff in. My daughter was diagnosed with ADD so I'm trying to clean up her diet. I can be accountable being part of the forum

Hi Helen! I live in Austin and had my thyroid removed as well. I'm starting my second whole 30 because it works! I loved how great I felt the first round and unfortunately, the Holidays really derailed my good eating habits. I know this will help you too! Good luck!

Happy day 1 for everyone starting today! I attempted a whole30 in November, and got just past 3 weeks before falling off the wagon. Unfortunately, I've stayed completely off the wagon since then, and I'm actually really excited to cut all the junk out of my diet for the next 30 days! I made a big batch of my favorite beef/cabbage stew last night for lunch/dinner for a few days, and I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of new recipes this month thanks to the food processor and Well Fed cookbook I got for Christmas!

Day 1!  I did some cooking and freezing to prep and I think that will be helpful.  I really want to be strong and finish the 30 days.  And maybe I'll do 60.

Have some food pics on my blog if you are curious.  http://tinyurl.com/ns4942e

Cici

Try roasting the spaghetti squash whole and then cut it. http://www.elanaspantry.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/. I would have posted this on your blog but I am not a google+ member.

Hi everyone - Happy day one! I was going to start yesterday and was compliant until I visited my parents and they insisted I eat the traditional good luck foods which in my family are pozole, cabbage, and black-eyed peas. So I'll start today!

This is W30 #3 for me. The first time I was well prepared - focused on using whole fresh ingredients and had good weight loss along with better sleep, energy, clarity and amazing skin! The second time I relied more on convenient but compliant snacky things to fill in when I was hungry like nut butters, fruit, Lara bars and plantain chips and did not experience the same dramatic results. I was also training for a marathon so allowed myself to pretty much indulge in whatever compliant carbs I could get my hands on. This time I do want to experience weight loss so plan to try to avoid/eliminate nuts, nut butters, bars, etc. My training schedule won't be as demanding and I plan to shift a bit of my gym time from running to lifting.

To start I made some mayo, chocolate chili, and roasted some cauliflower and sweet potato. I also bought some roasted coconut flakes (maybe that was a mistake, they are so yummy). Good luck - remember you can do anything for 30 days.

Away we go! 01/02/2014 has arrived! I'm starting my 2nd TW30. I was very successful with the first time around (Feb/March of 2013) losing ten pounds and revamping my eating habits. However, many non-Paleo foods have found their way back into my diet and it's time to kick start once again. I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and need to get this under control.

Having done this once before, I feel like I am already ahead of the game; I have my stand-by Paleo foods and meals up my sleeve and lots of resources; Practical Paleo, Paleo Indulgences, Well Fed 1 and 2, and of course, It Starts With Food. I also have a host of friends and family who have chosen to eat (mostly) Paleo Compliant.

My nightly wine is my challenge! However, last time around, I did find that by giving up all of the sugars, grains AND alcohol, my cravings were not nearly as strong as if I had only given up one; indulging in one of these (sugar, grains, alcohol) really does feed the craving for the others.

If anyone is debating whether or not to sign up for the daily emails, I say, "Do it!" They were extremely helpful and last time around. There was something quite validating by clicking on the "I did it!" link at the end of the day!

Have a great day

Happy New Year from snowy Boston -

I am new here, starting today and wanted to share a bit of my story...

I'm 49 and have been about 100 lbs overweight for years. I discovered Weston Price and then paleo/primal eating about 3 years ago. I cut out grains and sugar but was never willing to even consider giving up my beloved morning coffee with cream. I felt great and my blood work showed amazing numbers. Despite all this I struggled to lose any significant amount of weight. My (integrative medicine) doctor said I was the healthiest obese person she has seen! To address the weight, she recommended the Ideal Protein diet. Although I was against adopting a diet that was so processed (is mainly whey protein meal replacement shakes), I understood the benefits of low carb eating, so I went along with it. I dropped about 40 lbs and was feeling wonderful, but looking back I realize that this is not a healthy way to lose weight.

Fast forward to this summer... a compressed nerve resulted in severe levels of pain, and had me out of work for most of the summer. I was depressed and invariably turned to my key source of comfort - carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) and since September have gained back most of the weight. Aches and pains, carpal tunnel, heart palpitations, and other symptoms also returned that I know are a result of eating so many inflammatory foods.

So here I am today, humbled and looking to do this the right way - with real food and yes, will give up my beloved dairy and see what happens. I'm hoping that this will make a difference... after so many attempts and relapses I feel I must be honest in that I do carry doubts about my abilities to do all this... but I'm here and I've done my shopping and am spending the day cooking.

I look forward to meeting new friends and supporting each other on this journey!

Lisa

Started my 2nd Whole 30 today.  Nice to be back at it with all of you!! I can't wait to see the changes this time around.  And my husband and son are joining me this time, so it will be easier as far as meal prep and shopping go. I made some permanent changes the first time around (no cream in coffee, no salad dressing) and some that I stayed away from for many months (bread, sugar) and then December came and most was out the window.  And now I'm excited and ready to start again.

I started today for the first time and I feel quite apprehensive....really don't want to fail but it's hard already! As most of the cook books and info are USA based its hard to translate some ingredients and descriptions here in the UK but I'm going to give it my best shot! I feel so heavy and lethargic all the time! I run a cafe so temptation is everywhere.....will be on here a lot I think looking for motivation and life minded people! Good luck everyone!!

I started today for the first time and I feel quite apprehensive....really don't want to fail but it's hard already! As most of the cook books and info are USA based its hard to translate some ingredients and descriptions here in the UK but I'm going to give it my best shot! I feel so heavy and lethargic all the time! I run a cafe so temptation is everywhere.....will be on here a lot I think looking for motivation and life minded people! Good luck everyone!!

There are many UK-based folks in the forum who've had success on a Whole30, so ask away if you have questions.

Ok some baseline stats: 94 cm waist, 91 kg weight, 150/80 BP, HR 56 at rest. Pic to follow.

Hi, My name is Daniel, Im 35 years old, I feel fat and its time for a change. No better time to start than the new year!! My mate Fooch 'highly reccomended' this program so we are kicking it off together. I weight about 93 but should weigh about 85kg. Pictures and real weight to follow as baseline. Like Erin Im starting on the 2nd of Jan so here goes.

Archived