Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Fooch, first day was ok, I feel hungry though, want to munch something RIGHT NOW!!! for brekkie i had an omellete, for lunch chicken, mince and tomato and cucumber salad.....i looked at all the sauce labels SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR, aheeee, for dinner, chicken breast with tomato and cucum again!!!. so far so good, one cofee in am, no milk!!! How was ur day, send me what ur meals was as i need ideas, will consult book too!!!

Hoezit Daan

How was your first day?

Cheers

Foosh

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm all in starting today. I've never done anything like this before so I hope I can make it work. I have struggled with allergies, fatigue, migraine headaches, and depression for years, so if I could see some improvement in any of those areas I'd be thrilled. Eliminating sugar will be my biggest challenge. It's great to have all the support. Thanks.

I am starting today too.  This is my third whole 30.  I was going to do a soft start today and start for real on 1/6/2013 with my sister, but I have done great today and figure why not just stay on it.

I have been mostly paleo since my last whole 30, but the holidays.....well you know the story.  Anyway, I am hoping it won't be too hard, one of the things I let slip back into my diet was coca-cola.  I am happy to give it up again, but it may cause some extra head aches.  Oh well, it is the price I have to pay for the tiger blood I will soon have.

Yea January!!!!

Hi I'm Helen and live in dfw texas

Im 56 and my health has taken a turn. Without a thyroid nothing has worked. I work long hours and eat wrong. Lots of carbs and sugar. I have twins 8 yr olds and usually eat whatever is quick and easy (wrong). I want to eat right and feel better. Im learning to get the bad stuff out and the good stuff in. My daughter was diagnosed with ADD so I'm trying to clean up her diet. I can be accountable being part of the forum

Hi, Helen.  Welcome!  I am also without a thyroid, I'm 53 with kids 7 and 10.  Did the Whole30 last year and never felt better!  Lost some weight, lost the bloat, better energy, etc.  Fell off the wagon hard, now I'm happy to be back on.  It's not easy, but it's SO worth it.  Good luck! 

Jodi

I am coming to the end of day 2, headache has been niggling away in the background all day but I've managed to mostly ignore it. Have been a bit snappy, but I'm tired after being awake since 3am with my poorly head.

I had burgers with salsa and salad for lunch, no breakfast as I slept later than usual after my insomnia during the night. I am currently roasting some chicken thighs with broccoli, peppers and kale for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a great day :)

The free range butcher I was hoping to go buy stacks of meat from turned out to still be on holiday until next week. Next I tried the health food store, which has gotten rid of most of the meat selection they used to have, though I did get some kudu biltong (points if you don't need Google for that).

Finally went to Woolworths (sort of a mini M&S) and got label-reading shock at all the extra ingredients. Let's just say bacon's not happening this week!

It was really too hot to cook today anyway, so it was mostly lots of raw green veg, cherries, eggs, and leftover roast chicken.

Sox fans of a certain age were trained to be patient!

Happy New Year from snowy Boston -

I am new here, starting today and wanted to share a bit of my story...

I'm 49 and have been about 100 lbs overweight for years. I discovered Weston Price and then paleo/primal eating about 3 years ago. I cut out grains and sugar but was never willing to even consider giving up my beloved morning coffee with cream. I felt great and my blood work showed amazing numbers. Despite all this I struggled to lose any significant amount of weight. My (integrative medicine) doctor said I was the healthiest obese person she has seen! To address the weight, she recommended the Ideal Protein diet. Although I was against adopting a diet that was so processed (is mainly whey protein meal replacement shakes), I understood the benefits of low carb eating, so I went along with it. I dropped about 40 lbs and was feeling wonderful, but looking back I realize that this is not a healthy way to lose weight.

Fast forward to this summer... a compressed nerve resulted in severe levels of pain, and had me out of work for most of the summer. I was depressed and invariably turned to my key source of comfort - carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) and since September have gained back most of the weight. Aches and pains, carpal tunnel, heart palpitations, and other symptoms also returned that I know are a result of eating so many inflammatory foods.

So here I am today, humbled and looking to do this the right way - with real food and yes, will give up my beloved dairy and see what happens. I'm hoping that this will make a difference... after so many attempts and relapses I feel I must be honest in that I do carry doubts about my abilities to do all this... but I'm here and I've done my shopping and am spending the day cooking.

I look forward to meeting new friends and supporting each other on this journey!

Lisa

Hi there!

Headache is the word of the day. My head seems to beg me for its daily cup of tea. Yes, of tea! I've never been too much of a coffee drinker, but I'm a total tea addict. Don't laugh, it's just as bad as coffee, especially if you're sensitive. I tried green tea and all that, and it din't work for me. There's still the habit. The same happened to me with sweets and wine (otherwise I eat a fairly clean paleo diet). That's what prompted me to start this program, I like its philosophy about cutting your indulgences altogether. I'm looking forward to see what I look like when I get out of this hangover!

Chris24: You're in the right place! I was suffering from the same things as you until my first paleo adventure one year ago, and it's gone! I still have some issues, but nothing like before. Do you currently eat a lot of animal products and fats? I wasn't, and I feel beginning to eat more of them is what did the trick for me. You definitely need that to replace the sugar you're relying upon.

Hello Everyone!

I'm here in Sunny Santa Barbara and heading out to get some Whole30 sanctioned foods. I'll try an omelet with mushrooms spinach and ghee! Then hunker down and make some menus.

I just turned 49 and would like this year leading into 50 to be one of positive changes for me physically, mentally and emotionally.

I'm really excited to be on this journey with you all!

LIke some of you, the headache was present most of the day!  A long nap helped. I only had two cups of coffee, black.  Will probably just have tea later.  It's so cold, I don't want to go outside to move, right now it is minus 6.  So we'll hibernate this evening and enjoy beef, cabbage and carrots and move into day 2 tomorrow.  Hang in there!

My first day of my first Whole 30 is coming to an end and it has been a great day. I was home so I have cooked enough to carry me through the next few days and plan to try to do some of the paleo cooking once a month recipes I found so I can freeze them to have handy. Here is wishing you all a great 30!

Hi, I started my W30 today. My husband is joining me on this plan, and I'm mostly nervous about finding foods we both like. He has not particularly enjoyed a lot of the new recipes I've tried and really misses his bread and pasta. I've been transitioning to Paleo for a few months, and before that I was on a few different elimination diets as I tried to find out what foods could be triggering my IBS symptoms. I also found out recently that I'm pre-diabetic and have high cholesterol, which was a shock to me as I've always eaten what most people would consider a healthy diet. I'm trying the W30 to see if it really makes a difference to my overall health. I'm glad I have so many resources for support!

Heather

Hi Heather, one thing that so impressed me when I did my first whole 30 was the increased energy.  That made me feel so much healthier and is a goal again this time around.  The weight loss is nice, but feeling the bounce in my step is great.  I hope you can note that difference at the end of your whole thirty.  Honestly, I don't know why I ever let some of the foods back in. Planning is the best prevention of slip up.  Best wishes to you and your husband on this.  

Michelle

Hey all!

I am joining the headache bandwagon. :-(. I knew it would happen but as one who suffers from migraines...this is never fun. But I know it wi pass. I did find myself getting hungry from lunch on but resisted going to my normal (unhealthy) snacks and stayed on plan. WIN!!

Have you all received your Day 2 email? I received Day 0 and 1 with no issue but haven't gotten. day 2 yet.

29 days to go! ;-)

Tracy

Hi there!

Headache is the word of the day. My head seems to beg me for its daily cup of tea. Yes, of tea! I've never been too much of a coffee drinker, but I'm a total tea addict. Don't laugh, it's just as bad as coffee, especially if you're sensitive. I tried green tea and all that, and it din't work for me. There's still the habit. The same happened to me with sweets and wine (otherwise I eat a fairly clean paleo diet). That's what prompted me to start this program, I like its philosophy about cutting your indulgences altogether. I'm looking forward to see what I look like when I get out of this hangover!

Chris24: You're in the right place! I was suffering from the same things as you until my first paleo adventure one year ago, and it's gone! I still have some issues, but nothing like before. Do you currently eat a lot of animal products and fats? I wasn't, and I feel beginning to eat more of them is what did the trick for me. You definitely need that to replace the sugar you're relying upon.

Beli: So good to hear from you! I haven't been eating a lot of animal products or fats, I never thought that would make any difference. But I roasted an organic chicken tonight for dinner and will be eating a lot more meat for my protein. I hope your headache is better tomorrow. So you are giving up caffeine? This was my first day without some kind of creamer in my coffee, and I thought that was a sacrifice. I haven't cut out caffeine, but after reading other's thoughts on it, I'm planning to cut it in half. I haven't missed the sugar too much on day one, but I've been aware of the triggers signaling me to go get something sweet. It's gonna be tough!

Hi all!

I started today as well.  I'm a little tired and cranky tonight but I'm still excited to see where this goes!  Please keep the posts coming, they really helped me to stay motivated tonight:)

Congrats to everyone on completing Day 1!

Hi Heather! I, too, suffer from high cholesterol and my pre-diabetes has developed into Type 2 :(, in spite of my relatively healthy eating. As my doctor said, in my case it's genetic, there is only so much I can do. In addition, I have serious risk factors for heart disease, so he is particularly vigilant about my "numbers." So, with much kicking and fussing, I finally succumbed to a low dose of diabetes medication.  I'm hoping to bring the blood sugar numbers back where they belong with this round of TW30 and adding the exercise I have been so negligent about the past year or so! For me, weight loss is a side benefit; I could stand to lose another 10-15 pounds, but I'm really doing this to get a better handle on my blood sugar and cholesterol. Best of luck to you!

Hi all, today was officially 'program' day one although I actually started yesterday - shhhhhh ;) I ate really well today but had a horrible headache which was either attributed to all the clean food I had or the fact that I had to go back to work after having 12 days off. High point of today, a blood orange! Love January for that fact! Happy Thursday everyone :)

Hi Everyone, Really nice to hear all your stories, such a range of people and places. I am 45 and in the Washington D.C. area. I am actually doing this with my babysitter which is kind of funny but definitely good to have a buddy. Completed day 1 with a raging headache probably from the caffeine withdrawal from no diet cokes. I think I better consider this for tomorrow. 

I cooked a pile of food for the next couple of days; shredded salsa chicken, Nom Nom Paleo Curried Broccoli soup and london broil so we are covered for the weekend. 

Hope all of you caught in the NE blizzard are doing ok and keeping warm. 

Good luck tomorrow everyone! 

Best, 

Cherie

Daniel - eat more food :) No need to be hungry on Whole30, eat a mini meal if you're still hungry and eat bigger meals tomorrow. Are you getting enough fat?

Cherie - power through, the headache won't last long and you'll get that diet coke monkey off your back for good :D Yum, salsa chicken!

Archived