Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Hello! I also started on January 2 (I was supposed to start on January 1, but my boyfriend's mom cooked noodles and his dad saved a bottle of champagne just for us). I'm a teacher on winter break right now, so it's been nice that I've had a few days off work to really research, cook, and figure out how this is going to work. School starts on Monday though and I'm not sure how that's going to work out (especially the breakfast part. I get up at 5:30 already and I just can't imagine getting up at 5 am to cook up some eggs which are the only thing I can really stand to eat that early in the morning). To make my whole 30 challenge more interesting, my boyfriend is doing his own 30 day cleanse, but he is kicking meat and caffeine. We are both headachey and meal planning is going to be...a challenge to say the least. I am also sick with a terrible sore throat and headache and sore from a little too much exercise (3 days straight of rock climbing followed by an intense crossfit workout) so it's really hard to tell how my body actually feels.

Day one: eggs with mushrooms and onions, banana with coconut flakes, salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, acorn squash stuffed with apples/pears, pork chop, and 1 tbsp of dates/coconut flakes/pecans for dessert while my dinner guests were eating cupcakes :(

Day two: eggs with mushrooms, onions, and green chile sauce, banana with coconut flakes, pecans, dates, zucchini 'salad' with walnut 'alfredo sauce' (at a raw vegan lunch place), porkchop, larabar, more acornsquash and porkchops for tonight

I was really pleased with the Acorn Squash which is something I have never touched before, but as I was flipping through my joy of cooking it sounded interesting. I could definitely tell that it would have tasted better with the brown sugar and butter that I omitted, but it was palpable and my boyfriend and friend both ate it just fine.

Today I went to Whole Foods to stock up on olive oil and to try to find dressings/sauces that are w30 compliant. I only found two: Follow Your Heart brand "Vegan Lemon Herb Salad Dressing" which is creamy and satisfies the part of me that will miss Caesar and Ranch dressing and 365 brand "Organic Herbs de Provence Vinaigrette" which is olive oil/apple cider vinegar based and not my favorite, but better than nothing. 

It's such a bummer to be sick, though, especially as it's the end of my winter break and instead of enjoying myself I will be feeling double blah. Also, I already feel like I am basically constantly in the kitchen (no dishwasher) and am very curious how that will work out once I am back at work!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I miss chewing gum! :( other than that messing with my head I'm actually feeling pretty good. Food was good today although I need more dinner options, night three of cocoa chili has me BORED! Time to switch it up to stay on track! No headache today, so that was a big plus! Happy Friday to everyone and good luck with day three:)

Hi all. Today was day two for me of my first W30. Doing pretty well overall but headache sure is there this afternoon. Lots of temptations but standing strong. Took my son and nephew to movies today and brought carrots in my purse to eat instead of popcorn. That and a large ice water in my bag and I made it thru! Breakfast was veggie egg scramble black coffee (no flavored creamer - huge for me!), and half an apple. Lunch - pan seared salmon, steamed green beans and butternut squash. Dinner- spaghetti squash spaghetti with homemade sauce and beef we raised. Enjoying the healthy foods and feels good to feed my body good nutrition. Surprised at how hungry I've been yesterday and today. Drinking tons of water but I'm hungry just an hour or so after meal. Wonder if my body is missing all the carbs and junk food and thinking its hungry? Look forward to more progress each day.

Oh! I downloaded the iPad app for nom nom paleo - LOVE the pics and recipes! Excited to make lots of them!

Hi all. Today was day two for me of my first W30. Doing pretty well overall but headache sure is there this afternoon. Lots of temptations but standing strong. Took my son and nephew to movies today and brought carrots in my purse to eat instead of popcorn. That and a large ice water in my bag and I made it thru! Breakfast was veggie egg scramble black coffee (no flavored creamer - huge for me!), and half an apple. Lunch - pan seared salmon, steamed green beans and butternut squash. Dinner- spaghetti squash spaghetti with homemade sauce and beef we raised. Enjoying the healthy foods and feels good to feed my body good nutrition. Surprised at how hungry I've been yesterday and today. Drinking tons of water but I'm hungry just an hour or so after meal. Wonder if my body is missing all the carbs and junk food and thinking its hungry? Look forward to more progress each day.

Oh! I downloaded the iPad app for nom nom paleo - LOVE the pics and recipes! Excited to make lots of them!

Your menu is making me hungry! I am not an expert but I don't see a lot of fat or carbs in your meals. You may have just left them out of your meals above. I think if you add them back you may not feel as hungry. Try coconut milk in your coffee for added fat. I love having sweet potato hash in the morning, it is a veggie that has a lot of carbs. Maybe some homemade mayo or tartar sauce (if compliant) with your salmon would add some fat and maybe some olive oil or Ghee to your dinner. I think the first few days are a guessing game to try to figure out how much you have to eat. I also found that if I eat some vegetable soup with a little coconut milk in the morning it really fills me up and I don't feel hungry until lunch. I am not sure if it is the broth or the fat in the soup that makes me feel full. Enjoy Day 3.

Day 3 is under way, up in time for Italian pork, green beans and baked sweet potato for breakfast.

Have been at my youngest's swimming class and out shopping today. I am tired, mainly because I couldn't drift off last night and I had an early alarm. Going to try and avoid a nap and have an early night as we have a super early start tomorrow. Off to London for Disney on Ice with youngest. A whole day with no access to decent food. I will be making packed lunches tonight.

Just had a mixed leaf salad And mayo with ground beef and salsa wrapped in Nori like a fajita. Different but tasty :)

Ready4change: Are you eating enough? Having enough fat? Otherwise it may indeed just be cravings trying to pass for legitimate hunger  :D Have you tried eating a mini-meal when you feel hungry?

Today I went to Whole Foods to stock up on olive oil and to try to find dressings/sauces that are w30 compliant. I only found two: Follow Your Heart brand "Vegan Lemon Herb Salad Dressing" which is creamy and satisfies the part of me that will miss Caesar and Ranch dressing and 365 brand "Organic Herbs de Provence Vinaigrette" which is olive oil/apple cider vinegar based and not my favorite, but better than nothing. 

May I give a French perspective on the salad dressing issue? (I live in Chile, but I'm French) We don't use that there, and I've never felt a need for it either. When I make a salad, I mix a pinch of salt with an acid -lemon juice or vinegar- then add some oil while mixing, taste, and it's done! Make it directly in the salad bowl before adding the vegetables, then stir well to get all the leaves coated and "tired". Simpler yet: some vegetables are just as good with a simple splash of oil and salt. Anyway, I love being able to eat every salad with a different dressing.

Friday night is always a special family dinner, including wine, bread, and dessert. Soooo, I had grape juice mixed with water, skipped the bread, and a serving of home canned pears for dessert. For the meal I made salmon topped with a mix of homemade mayo, mustard, garlic and spices, mashed root veggies from nom nom paleo, and kale cooked in a spicy coconut milk sauce based on the green beans with coconut milk recipe by Melissa joulwan - theclothesmakethegirl.com. These are my current favorite W30 recipe sources right now!

Still cold and snowy here, but sunny this morning. Going for a walk with a friend right now!

Friday night is always a special family dinner, including wine, bread, and dessert. Soooo, I had grape juice mixed with water, skipped the bread, and a serving of home canned pears for dessert. For the meal I made salmon topped with a mix of homemade mayo, mustard, garlic and spices, mashed root veggies from nom nom paleo, and kale cooked in a spicy coconut milk sauce based on the green beans with coconut milk recipe by Melissa joulwan - theclothesmakethegirl.com. These are my current favorite W30 recipe sources right now!

Still cold and snowy here, but sunny this morning. Going for a walk with a friend right now!

FYI: juice is to be used only in small quantities to flavor dishes on a W30: not to drink.

Day 3 and I had my first Whole30 dream last night.  Dreamed I was in a restaurant and grabbed a piece of bread and buttered it before I realized, "hey, I'm doing a Whole30" and set it aside.  Very proud of my subconscious!

Breakfast today was veg & egg scramble with compliant smoked chorizo.  That was 3.5 hours ago and I'm nowhere near hungry yet.  :)

Found some interesting pumpkin recipes I may try. Will report back.  Have a good day!

Just had chocolate chilli topped with peppers and spring onions on a bed of kale (a 200g bag of kale lasts a looong time). It was lush!!

Just made my pack ups for tomorrow; broccoli salad (minus the walnuts and raisins as I don't have any) with chicken thighs for lunch. Italian pork and salad with green beans for dinner. Apple and almonds for snack just in case, and and big bottle of water.

That should do it :)

Also picked up some herbal tea to aid sleep, going to try a small mug before bed and hope for a good night as I am headache free today :)

Have a great day/night everyone

Day 3: Tired more than usual for this W30 round. Think it has something to so with the overcast weather here today.

Breakfast: prosciutto egg cups, sweet potato hash browns, fresh fruit and coffee

Lunch: Chicken apple sausage, salad, SP fries w/ balsamic vinegar.

Dinner: The Domestic Man- Perfect Eye of Round Roast, roasted veg and broccoli.

sailorlawrence - Did you cook your prosciutto until crispy? I don't like it "raw", crispy it's more like bacon.

I second the coconut oil in coffee, bulletproof style, you whip it in an immersion blender and it goes all fluffy a bit like a latte, but no dairy! :)

Emily Roberts-Springer - This is a "kill all the things" day :) It will pass. I found eliminating gluten and dairy completely got rid of my arthritis.

Stephanie313131 - Also a "kill all the things" day :) It will pass. Boiled eggs are really easy for early prep. If you have more time, a scotch egg is good too, just need to add some veggies or a salad. Some people make veggie patties to travel with scotch eggs. There's a thread about delivery driver lunches which has lots of good portable things that don't need heating or a fridge.

Amandasweet14 - What kinds of meat would you like to know how to cook? We have lots of talented kitchenfolk here :)

Iamspacey - I'm an early riser too. If cooking is a hassle, eat leftovers for breakfast and cook extra at dinnertime (for breakfast the next day). Much faster :) If you'd rather eggs, go for hard boiled and cook up a batch. Just make sure you have veggies and fat too. Homemade mayo is awesome with HB eggs. Tessemae's make really nice Whole30 salad dressings in bottles.

Ready4achange - If you're hungry an hour or so after a meal, you may not be eating enough fat. As well as your cooking fat, you should have actual fat portions (I forget this sometimes - all that anti-fat brainwashing is hard to get past some days). Homemade mayo is an easy way to add more, as are avocados and bulletproof coffee made with coconut oil.

Slept like a rock last night. Had a dream that I was serving last nights dinner with rice (which I never eat) and in the dream I decided to swap it out for mashed cauliflower (I am proud of my subconcious self ). Brunch today was slightly runny eggs over taco meat topped roasted butternut squash, onion, pablano chili hash and topped with  guacamole and salsa---YUM!, dinner will be rib steak with cilantro chimichurri and roasted broccoli. 

May I give a French perspective on the salad dressing issue? (I live in Chile, but I'm French) We don't use that there, and I've never felt a need for it either. When I make a salad, I mix a pinch of salt with an acid -lemon juice or vinegar- then add some oil while mixing, taste, and it's done! Make it directly in the salad bowl before adding the vegetables, then stir well to get all the leaves coated and "tired". Simpler yet: some vegetables are just as good with a simple splash of oil and salt. Anyway, I love being able to eat every salad with a different dressing.

I tried to make my own (oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper) and while it was edible, it was definitely not "good" to my taste buds. I know that because I am used to sugary dressings it's off putting to not have them, but I am hoping that as this challenge goes on I will retrain my taste buds and stop missing sugar where it shouldn't be! (I am already finding black coffee palatable which I never thought would happen!)

I tried to make my own (oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper) and while it was edible, it was definitely not "good" to my taste buds. I know that because I am used to sugary dressings it's off putting to not have them, but I am hoping that as this challenge goes on I will retrain my taste buds and stop missing sugar where it shouldn't be! (I am already finding black coffee palatable which I never thought would happen!)

Have you tried making a sweeter salad dressing using raspberries or orange juice? I thought I saw a paleo recipe for raspberry vinigrette today but I can't remember where. 

Just starting today!  This will be my 3rd whole30.  I had a nasty bout with food poisoning over the new year, so all I ate today was yummy chicken butternut squash soup (with home-made bone broth) and a couple of applegate hot dogs.

Just wanted to thank you for mentioning this soup! I roasted a chicken on day 1 and today made this soup. It was absolutely delicious! I would highly recommend it! Thanks.

Day 3 done. Success! Thanks for the input - increased the fat and portions slightly and hunger was much better today. Headache still there tho. Will sure be glad when that goes away! Breakfast was veggie egg scramble in coconut oil. Lunch was leftover salmon and green beans with an orange/avacado dipping sauce I made. Dinner was scrumptious Thai curry from the nom nom paleo app. Will be making that often!

Planning a big cooking day tomorrow to get ready for school to start back Monday. Saw blog by the clothes make the girl where she plans the cooking for a week. Something about her cooking style seemed "do-able" so I plan to give it a try tomorrow. Looking forward it - hope I don't end up w a giant mess! ;)

Question for the egg eaters... I am really missing the creaminess of cheese in my scrambled eggs. Any suggestions for what to add to them to help? I'd like to make a quiche or casserole that I can just grab in mornings without having to get up earlier and I love eggs for breakfast.

Till next time!

Question for the egg eaters... I am really missing the creaminess of cheese in my scrambled eggs. Any suggestions for what to add to them to help? I'd like to make a quiche or casserole that I can just grab in mornings without having to get up earlier and I love eggs for breakfast.

Till next time!

Ready4achange, I sometimes drop in slices of avo right at the end of cooking scrambled eggs. It will not give you the same texture as cheese, but it's not the same as plain eggs either, and the taste and boost of fat may be enought to appeal. You can add in Mexican-style spices if you're keen.

Day 3 done successfully!

Especially because I was at a birthday party with drinking, smoking, eclairs, ice cream cake, snickers cake, cookies, chips, nacho cheese....not that I noticed.

I resisted all temptations although I think I was radiating bitterness :/

This is the morning of day 4 or 5 for me - depending on how I count - since my committed start date was 1/2, but actually I had a fully compliant day on 1/1...Anyway, I was pretty groggy after dinner last night, and also concerned that I've been sleepy shortly after each meal.  So I read a bunch of stuff on the forums, confirming what I already knew that it was a blood sugar thing - and I tend to be hypoglycemic anyway.  There was some nice reassurance that the body is readjusting to new glucose levels and perhaps dumping some of what's stored.  Seemed like the best choice was to just go to bed a little earlier than usual, which I did.  My sleep is always a bit of an issue, and I did wake in the early hours of the morning as usual and slept more lightly after that.  This is pretty "normal" for me.  What was different was that when I looked at the clock at 6 I realized that I felt pretty good, not really wishing that I could fall back asleep - which I sometimes do in order to make up for poor quality or not enough sleep.  I remembered how much I used to love to be up in the early morning hours and what a joyful time it can be.  Before 7 I was fully awake and doing my morning routine of meditation, reading, and journaling.  I set my alarm for 5:30am for tomorrow, in hopes that I can enjoy an hour of taking care of myself before getting the day started with the usual chores (and delights!) of getting up to fix breakfast for my son and see him off to school.  I do relish that time as well since he will be away at college next year - the end of a pretty important era in my life!

I've been eating well and putting together the various components already prepared in the fridge in as interesting a variety of ways as I can.  One challenge is to keep cooking as the work week begins!  It is really a huge relief to be sugar free...

And I did also want to respond to Iamspacey about salad dressing.  I very much appreciate the simple and tasty dressing which Beli described - but also would encourage you to use your blender to invent creamier, more substantial dressings.  I always start with oil and vinegar or lemon (or both) - but you can add lots of avocado and whatever spices you like, and also a little fruit juice for a creamy green goddess type dressing.  Or tahini with lemon, water, spices, and also a taste of fruit juice optional.  You can also make a russian dressing type mix if you have compliant mayo and ketchup, thinning it with vinegar, juice, etc.  Good luck!

You could try squeezing a wedge of orange instead of vinegar, and/or putting fruit in the salad (chopped Granny Smith pairs well with nuts; blackberries or nectarine are good with avocado).

Some lettuces are more bitter than others, so you might try finding ones for now that are a bit more mellow.

Saw blog by the clothes make the girl where she plans the cooking for a week. Something about her cooking style seemed "do-able" so I plan to give it a try tomorrow. Looking forward it - hope I don't end up w a giant mess! ;)

I use her cooking style alot! Also, I am a sucker for her sauces. :wub:  Search her website for "hot plates". It is a super easy way to throw a meal together based on what flavors you want at the moment. Then you don't always have to stress about finding and following a new recipe everyday. Plus your food comes together in a flash!

Day 4 and I haven't had a headache, or grouchiness, but what I do have is the feeling of being VERY light headed to the point where I feel like I am almost going to pass out.

I have not deviated from the program at all, and prior to starting my Whole30 I had given up caffeine the month before, and I really wasn't a "sugar addict" so I'm not sure either of those factors can totally be to blame.  I am eating 3 full meals (protein, fat, veggies, sometimes a fruit with the meal), no snacking, and lots of water.  I thought maybe I wasn't eating enough but I truly could not eat anymore than I am without feeling stuffed to the point of feeling sick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Liz

Archived