Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

Hi everyone. I started on the 2nd also. Day 2 I had a dull headache that woke me up out my sleep at 4am and lasted about an hour. Later that day I was very foggy but it cleared up after my WO. I haven't really had any other issues, but I kind of cheated. I read ISWF mid December and immediately cut out dairy, legumes, and grains because I knew I would start after the 1st. I knew I wanted to complete this and wasn't sure if quitting all those at once was the best option for me. It was my way of setting myself up for success. I also think that I'm doing better than expected because I didn't drink sodas or sports drinks and I RARELY eat fast food.

I just don't have much of an appetite. This morning was the first time I actually woke up hungry. (I still eat something even if I'm not hungry though). But as soon as I stepped in the kitchen, it was gone! I fried 2 eggs and probably only ate about one (My 2yo always steals my eggs lol) It's so hard to eat in the morning! Maybe because I'm used to my liquid foods (aka smooties). Now that I think about it I don't think I ever liked cooking food in the morning. That's why I loved smoothies! I was sad to see that it wasn't allowed but I definitely understand why.

I've also noticed that when I take smoothies out my diet, I don't eat fruit! I did try a pomegranate for the first time last night! Exciting stuff lol

Oh and Whole30 will have you looking like a nut in the grocery store reading labels. I was in the tuna section for about 15 minutes trying to find one that didn't have soy!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 for me, last night was a challenge with my family all over visiting drinking wine and the kids snacking on chips. I definitely overate to compensate for not grabbing those pringles or having "just one little glass of red" but it was all approved food and I was still feeling full until almost 10am this morning so had a very small breakfast. Have to admit feeling groggy today but that may be due to an increase of 4 people in my tiny two bedroom home and having to share a bed with my 6 year old niece the bed hog haha.

Completed day two of the 30 day yoga challenge today as well in prep for joining once-twice a week hour long sessions with my sister in order to get her on track to get fit this year as well.

Now to whip up a batch of whole 30 mayo for a friend of mine :)

I was kept up last night by an annoying case of restless legs - rare for me. Tried compression sleeves and that seemed to help, at least enough to finally fall asleep. Anyone else having this problem?

I was kept up last night by an annoying case of restless legs - rare for me. Tried compression sleeves and that seemed to help, at least enough to finally fall asleep. Anyone else having this problem?

Something in Gatorade cures my father-in-law's restless legs.  He has to have it every day or he can't sleep.  I know it must be some mineral … salt, magnesium, just not sure what it is and he just goes with the Gatorade.  Perhaps try adding more salt to your food … maybe drinking salted bone broth once a day?

Hi, all! Thought I better check back in. Sounds like very body is doing great so far!

I'm in Day 4 and this is my second whole30. I did my first one back in April 2013. Made some permanent changes then that have been a big help going into this second round. It helps so much to have this forum and a brother-in-law and sister-in-law also doing this. You all keep me on track! The best thing I have had so far is my roasted red pepper and sweet potato soup (http://paleopot.com/2012/11/paleo-roasted-red-pepper-sweet-potato-soup/).

Keep up the great work , everybody! We will get through this and feel ah-maz-ing in just 26 short days!

dnewc: I don't, but I read that magnesium would alleviate restless legs...?

kayhunter: You definitely made things easy on yourself for your Whole30! :o Cheers to you for holding strong. Are your guests going to stay over a long time?

What's the 30 day yoga challenge?

CFlover: It's strange, I didn't like to cook in the morning either, until I began my Whole30. I used to drink tea and read the paper before taking a shower and fixing breakfast. Only then, an hour or two after waking, would I be able to smell some non-sweet food. Now I go straight to the shower, then do a little yoga, and afterwards head to the kitchen. I'm hungry and make myself 4 scrambled eggs and half a pound of spinach with duck fat!  :lol:  I think it helped that the first morning I pushed myself a little to eat, and the rest of the day ate my  meals at a rather early time. It kind of set me up to being hungry in the morning.

Day 4- not having any physical effects since I usually eat an 80% - 90% paleo diet. I am however resisting the urge to snack/drink alcohol due to boredom. Usually I knit, but due to a neck injury I won't be able to knit for the foreseeable future. The injury is also limiting my physical activities and I can't really do much outside due to inclement weather.

I tried to make my own (oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper) and while it was edible, it was definitely not "good" to my taste buds. I know that because I am used to sugary dressings it's off putting to not have them, but I am hoping that as this challenge goes on I will retrain my taste buds and stop missing sugar where it shouldn't be! (I am already finding black coffee palatable which I never thought would happen!)

Raw garlic will make your dressing taste bitter. If you want a garlic flavor, make a garlic oil. Gently heat some olive oil with sliced garlic until the garlic begins to turn brown, strain. 

Also, a common error in making salad dressing is to put too much vinegar. Just half a tea spoon is enough for a bowl.

Day 4 and I haven't had a headache, or grouchiness, but what I do have is the feeling of being VERY light headed to the point where I feel like I am almost going to pass out.

I have not deviated from the program at all, and prior to starting my Whole30 I had given up caffeine the month before, and I really wasn't a "sugar addict" so I'm not sure either of those factors can totally be to blame.  I am eating 3 full meals (protein, fat, veggies, sometimes a fruit with the meal), no snacking, and lots of water.  I thought maybe I wasn't eating enough but I truly could not eat anymore than I am without feeling stuffed to the point of feeling sick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Liz

It sounds like you could be dehydrated, but you say you drink lots of water... Maybe you could be missing some electrolytes that could help you retain the water? Are you using enough salt?

Day 4 a little tough on my motivation... I feel physically normal, don't have any of the effects signaled in the daily emails. My tummy gets bloated after some meals, which is what I'm used to. So... I kind of feel I'm not on target, this diet isn't what I'm looking for, so it's no use depriving myself of the chocolate and the wine that would ease some edgy moments.

Wait, I'm not giving up yet. Actually, this is why I came to read some news from you folks, to not open the forbidden closet. I'm saying to myself: Ok, maybe this is not the answer to my problems, but I won't know for sure until I do it. It's just one month. What an I? Weaker than a bar of not so good chocolate?

OK, I'm off to bed now. Sundays are always kind of tough.  :ph34r:

Today is going well for me again. No unusual aches or pains. Had an Italian omelette (italian sugar free sausage, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach) topped with marinara sauce for brunch and will have roasted chicken with roasted acorn squash for dinner. Yummy!

Greetings from the tundra! Since it's so cold it's dangerous to go outside, I spent a good part of today cooking.  Made almond meal coated chicken tenders for dinner - BIG yum (seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic) very moist, de-lish,.  Roasted butternut squash, brussel sprouts and beets.  Cooked up a batch of chicken thighs and salmon filets for lunches.  I've already packed my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow (yes, I have to go to work when it's 40  below with the wind chill).

Today, breakfast was eggs with chicken sausage, onions and greens.  Lunch was ground beef sauteed with spaghetti squash and more greens, with diced avocado on top.  I did find myself craving something sweet today and just generally wanting to snack (football combined with cabin fever), but I had a few almonds and pistachios, and stopped myself before I lost control.

Oh, and as promised - the sweet potato pancakes were really good.  Not SWYPO for me, because I'm not a big regular pancake fan, but they were a nice change of pace for lunch yesterday.  I sprinkled some coconut shreds on top for texture - nice addition.

Looking forward to day 5!

Ready4achange - I like quite breakfasts so I do a lot of variations of eggs baked in a muffin pan. Fluffy quiches, egg & bacon/proscuttio/ham, egg & breakfast sausage, salmon patties, etc. The creaminess from cheese is really the fat, so add more fat! Duck fat is delicious with eggs, but you can also use coconut milk or cream. Coconut milk though is usually a lot lower in fat than cheese. Chicken fat would also be pretty yummy I think, but I haven't tried it with eggs yet. I like cold avocado with eggs, but I hate it warm :)

Iamspacey - As RLW mentioned, some lettuce is more bitter. Many French chefs refuse to serve non-green (purple, etc) lettuce/salad on the grounds that it's too bitter. Sometimes you'd find lettuce mix marked as French style, this means no purple lettuce :)

LizK - Are you keeping a food log? Maybe not enough starches? Are you exercising as well? If so, are you eating Pre & Post WO meals?

CFlover - Bulletproof coffee with coconut oil is a great way to get in fat in the morning. Soup is also great for those who previously had smoothies or protein shakes. I found as I regularly ate breakfast within an hour of waking up, my body started being ready for it. I was previously a regular breakfast skipper. As a new pomegranate eater, make sure you check out the YouTube Kitchen Hack video of how to empty one in 10 seconds :) I was doing it all wrong, mine took me abot 4 hours lol

dnewc - For some people it's magnesium, others it's potassium or sodium. Avocados, bananas and almonds are high in potassium. It was magnesium for me :) A lot of people notice a difference with electrolyte drinks as these generally contain all of these elements, unfortunately often with a boatload of unwanted sugar :(

Lydia - Oh that sounds painful :( Maybe time to catchup on those movies you've never watched, take some relaxation time.

Beli - Don't give up, it takes 30 days to grow new (healthy) cells in your intestines, so you really can't know without a full 30 days.

For anyone wondering about the dreams, I had them too on my first Whole30, one was really silly, I ate something that wasn't food (can't remember what now, but something weird like a plank of wood or a metal bucket) and couldn't figure out whether I had to restart. Lots of dreams about eating food I didn't like at all, always woke up relieved that it wasn't real. Some were really very vivid.

Day 4! Eggies for M1, skipped lunch accidentally (started a series of errands that were not able to be interrupted) which I do not recommend! I was sooo grumpy and woozy and lightheaded and that is the only time I have felt the KILL EVERYTHING come out.

Dinner was mashed sweet potatoes, nom nom's portabello mushroom packets, and some joy of cooking mojo chicken.

Then I prepped like a FIEND! Chopped an onion, pepper, and mushrooms and made 16 egg soufflé things in cupcake tins for easy to go breakfasts, chopped two cauliflower heads, diced carrots, diced another onion, washed grapes, etc.

I feel like I don't have too much to do in order to stay on track this week with work starting tomorrow!

(I totally had fudge and chocolate dreams last night.)

Beli -- 

I totally understand the day 4 blah's but remember it's only 30 days we can do it! House guests have gone home just a quick sleepover to play with my animals ( I fed got them captain crunch for breakfast I am awful! but I hate the stuff so it worked)

I worked helping out at a greek restaurant today and man so many deep fried cheesy temptations but luckily I can make my own grilled chicken breast and greek salad with only olive oil there to keep me full and fight those yummy treats.

Beli, my hours are a bit shifted compared to most people's 'norm'. I'm a sahm (with 2 children who are too young for school) so I wake up between 830-930. I don't go to bed until about midnight. I think because I don't eat an early dinner (say 6...we eat more towards 730/8) that's probably why I'm not that hungry. Actually this morning I woke up hungry for the first time since starting but after brushing my teeth and using mouthwash my appetite was gone. It was so weird. I'm going to try to eat earlier if possible.

praxisproject, great advice! Soup never even crossed my mind! Well I also think my thinking is still geared towards "breakfast" and not "meal 1.' I suppose that'll take some time to retrain my thinking. I'll also have to check that tea out. Oh and I bought the pomegranate because I saw the video. It gave me the confidence to know what I'm doing lol.

Speaking of tea. I tried Kombucha for the first time last night. My husband and kids like it a lot.  Now I'm thinking about making it at home. Yay for Whole30 sending me down new pathways!

kayhunter- I made my first batch of olive oil mayo and I don't know why but it wasn't thick. It was in the fridge for a couple hours and it was still really loose. Maybe it will thicken overnight. I still used it in the tuna recipe from Well Fed 2 (I think it's 2) and it was really good. I can't wait to make the ketchup!..maybe tomorrow

kayhunter- I made my first batch of olive oil mayo and I don't know why but it wasn't thick. It was in the fridge for a couple hours and it was still really loose. Maybe it will thicken overnight. I still used it in the tuna recipe from Well Fed 2 (I think it's 2) and it was really good. I can't wait to make the ketchup!..maybe tomorrow

You could try blending in an egg yolk to your current mayo and see if that helps to thicken it up.

Today I want to "kill all the things" however this could also be due to the fact that it's monday, it's cold outside and I have to go to work. Think I feel like this on most work days. *humphhh*

Praxisproject Trying to relax as much as I can. I have been watching more than my usual amount of TV buy last night I realized I have a lot of unread books so I guess now is the time the get through those.

Today was day 4 for me.  Felt pretty down and sad all day.  Hope this doesn't last. 

Cici

I have heard this from many people during week one. Good news is that they have usually pepped back up by week two! Eating properly resets hormones which affect moods so it takes a bit to even out. Be kind to yourself and drink plenty of water. Rest when you can, your body is doing big things so don't push yourself too hard until you feel better. You will do great, just hang in there.  ^_^

Day 4 a little tough on my motivation... I feel physically normal, don't have any of the effects signaled in the daily emails. My tummy gets bloated after some meals, which is what I'm used to. So... I kind of feel I'm not on target, this diet isn't what I'm looking for, so it's no use depriving myself of the chocolate and the wine that would ease some edgy moments.

Wait, I'm not giving up yet. Actually, this is why I came to read some news from you folks, to not open the forbidden closet. I'm saying to myself: Ok, maybe this is not the answer to my problems, but I won't know for sure until I do it. It's just one month. What an I? Weaker than a bar of not so good chocolate?

OK, I'm off to bed now. Sundays are always kind of tough.  :ph34r:

Hi Beli - Just want to say that for some people - myself included - more than W30 eating is needed to address all issues of health and well being. BUT I strongly believe that its a great foundation to work from. I hope you can reclaim some motivation today, and that Monday is a better day than Sunday! As for me, I had a great Sunday but a terrible night's sleep and feel pretty awful this Monday morning - you never know what the day will bring...

I dreamt I owned a restaurant that only served Whole30 compliant meals. People would sit and ask for cakes and get upset at me because I didn't have them.  :unsure:

Feeling sad and anxious today again. Mondays are my other free day and usually the worse. What prompted me to start the Whole30 was actually an anxiety attack I had last Monday.

Cici: We're in the same boat :)  , hang in there with me! Would you tell us a little about yourself?

Chris24: Checking on you. How are you doing today?

Praxisproject, kayhunter, thank you!

CFlover: I think your meal times are just ok, they're the same as mine and many others, only tipped a couple hours later. So you could totally be hungry in the morning. Are you getting enough sleep? I know it's harder for me to be hungry for breakfast if I'm tired.

Archived