Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kmh833 - Thank you. I think for the $15 it might be totally worth it. I know I will need something to keep me going. It won't really be the grains or dairy I'm concerned about...but I do look forward to my wine on the weekend, and that will be a HUGE hurdle!

• Moderators

Hi! I'd like to join you all. I'm going to be starting my second Whole30 on January 2. I did really well with my first one, back in September/October, but since then have allowed non-paleo foods to slip back into my diet more and more. I woke up this morning and realized I feel congested and achy and puffy from all the stuff I've been eating. I know that those "treats" I've been having make me feel like this, and yet I've eaten them anyway. I need the structure and strict rules of a Whole30 to get me back on track. Right now, I'm just going to do the best I can through the rest of the holidays and look forward to starting the new year with a healthy plan in place.

I've wondered about those daily emails, I didn't do them the first time, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, so I may sign up for them this time around.

1/2 will be round 3 for me. I need it after this holiday season!!!

Erin, one option for drinking more water in the winter is to just drink hot water with lemon. I like to do that before I go to bed. It's also great if you have a cold.

Jumping on the 1/2 train as well! Had a successful w30 about 6 months ago & it totally changed my perspective on food. Many, many excuses & "I'll have it just this once" have sneakily crept into my life & once again I'm basically a wreck when it comes to food! Sugar is my total & complete enemy. I'm at my happiest when I'm baking! Will def have to get back in the groove of eating compliant. Going to start working my way towards compliance for the next several days & be ready to ROLL on 1/2! Also, this time I'll have my sister-in-law joining me on this journey, which I hope will make things easier.

One side note, I did sign up for the daily emails last time & they certainly helped me get ready for the day! I would read them while lying in the bed every morning & they gave me the motivation to get up & fix myself something healthy & delicious to start my day. Totally worth it!

Hello to all.  I'm so happy to have this group to help me prepare (mentally) for my next W30 adventure - beginning 1/2, of course!  I feel like the lead in time has been great for me, and that the start will feel less stressful than without it.  And - truth be told - I am actually hoping to do another W30 immediately after this one, since I do believe that 60 days would be really helpful in making a stronger break with my bad habits.  So keep that in mind, anyone who might feel the same way (especially if you've done a W30 before...).

But - the main point is here and now, leading up to 1/2 W30, getting ready to roll.  Really nice to know that I can relax with these last holiday weeks to eat as W30 as possible when I'm cooking for myself, and still enjoy holiday gatherings, foods, sweets, and drinks when there's an occasion to do that.  It was really good last night to be having a special dinner with friends, drinking wine, having bread and dessert - while mentioning out loud that this would all be changing soon!!  Makes it more real for me, and also for those close to me. 

I'm planning a 1/2 start as well. I did my first W30 in August and felt AMAZING! My mind was clearer, my energy was up, and my belly bloat was down. I felt what it really meant to be healthy. I stuck with a mainly paleo diet after that with occasional treats but this last month it seems there's been a treat every day! I don't weigh myself anymore but judging by the fit of my clothes I'm back to where I was before my W30 :( I feel tired, bloated and pretty awful in general. Looking forward to feeling awesome again!

For my first whole30 I signed up for the emails and they really helped a lot, I stuck with it because I didn't want to press the "I messed up and need to start the whole30 again". Well worth the $15. This go around I'm going to start a daily journal in the forums to keep myself in check.

After the holidays and falling off the proverbial Paleo wagon (1st Whole30 completed last April), I am definitely in for a Jan. 2nd start date!  I have been getting the tools I need (cookbooks like Well Fed 2 and Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans), pantry items stocked, and  freezer shelves full of good meats so I am prepared.  Jan. 1st will be spent cooking up meals to get me started while I enjoy my last glass of wine for a month or so.

Probably one of the biggest challenges I'll have is giving up my friend, Starbuck's.  :(   I have really come to rely on him over the last few months.  I'll have to go back to my organic green teas for my morning caffiene but in the end, it's worth it!  I felt so much better when I did my first W30 challenge and I stuck with it for the most part until the holiday season with the biggest change being no more Diet Coke since April, outside of a few sips only to find out the aspartame taste was utterly nasty!

I paid for the daily emails and loved them!  The info always co-incided with how I was feeling or what I was going through.  I wish they had updated emails that got sent out!

I am looking forward to doing the January challenge with all of you!   :)

My name is Emily and my husband and I will be starting our first Whole30 on the 2nd as well. I'm nervous, but excited too. I have had a crazy relationship with food for a long time, I suffer from joint pain, thyroid issues, I'm pretty severely overweight, don't have much energy, and I feel like I've failed at every diet I've ever tried. I want this to be a catalyst for change. To change my relationship with food, my lifestyle habits, and my daily choices. Excited to start this journey with you all!

Welcome Emily.  This will be my 2nd time.  You can eat great food on the W30, without measuring or feeling deprived.  You just have to shop (reading labels all the while), and cook- so that there's always something available for a great meal!  Hopefully having your husband along for the ride with you, will make it easier for you both. 

I'm in for my first Whole30 on 1/2 as well.  I haven't done a W30 before, but I have been eating  Paleo/Primal for the past year and a half.  I've gotten a little off with particularly with french fries and homemade ice cream, so I'm looking to re-set things to get away from the sugar cravings again.

Glad to have a group to go through this with!

Hello everybody, your comments have really inspired me and I think I'm going to join you on January 2. I tried a Whole30 in October, but I was defeated by my habit of a glass or two of red wine. Any ideas how to avoid this happening again?

Hate to say it, but its a "just say no" kind of situation.  I also enjoy my glass or 2 of wine and am doing so tonight!  Letting go of the wine is one of the most challenging things, but I also think that the outcome for me last time I did it was really worth it.  The W30 I did this past summer really removed me from all of my addictions (excessive food, snacks, wine, sugar, etc.) and at the end I was incredibly energetic - not only physically, but even more so emotionally.  You just have to pretend that you absolutely CANNOT have anything that's not W30 compliant! 

Hello everybody, your comments have really inspired me and I think I'm going to join you on January 2. I tried a Whole30 in October, but I was defeated by my habit of a glass or two of red wine. Any ideas how to avoid this happening again?

As a fellow red wine lover, you start by telling yourself "It's only 30 days - I can do this for 30 days."  Then decide what your W30 beverages will be. For me it was decaf coffee/tea and sparkling water: Pellegrino, Perrier, whatever compliant brand. When out to dinner, I'd have soda water and lime.

My husband and I will also be starting 1/2, I can't wait!  This is our first time being super strict on whole 30 and I am hoping to see a major change in my energy level, weight loss would be nice (I am obese with a seemingly very sluggish metabolism) along with resolving some other issues. I think my husband is doing this mainly because I am the cook in the family and he feels he might as well go with the flow and try to get a little bit healthier(He is great that way- so easy going). 

BTW- we are big wine drinkers too, however about 2 months ago we had a no drinking month and it was much easier then I thought it would be. I think that you just have to make up your mind about it and then you no longer have to think about it.  We found it much easier then just trying to decrease our wine intake. 

Is anyone else planning to share what they are eating on a daily basis, I thought that might be fun and we could give each other ideas that way?

I'm off until the 2nd so spending some time cooking and freezing.  Yesterday I made some chicken with no-sugar added tomato sauce, squash, and zucchini.  Today I made a small pork roast.  I'm freezing everything in individual containers so it's easy for me to grab something for lunch or dinner.  Will probably make some other things too.  

Cici

• Moderators

Is anyone else planning to share what they are eating on a daily basis, I thought that might be fun and we could give each other ideas that way?

During my first Whole30, I posted a picture of each of my meals every day (well, except one day toward the end when I think I'd hit the "I'm so over this" stage) on my blog, and will probably do so again this time. I tried the Instagram thing but preferred posting to the blog instead, but if you are on Instagram, check out #Whole30 for lots of pics/ideas as well.

Hey all! I'm excited to join the bandwagon for a 1/2 start date. I've been eating Paleo for a year, but absolutely let my guard down around sugar for the holidays. 

I'm a little nervous, because I also will be trying this with a low-FODMAP diet (based on extensive research and attempts to narrow down the culprits of pretty consistent bloating and gut inflammation, even when on a strict paleo diet). This diet is pretty limiting, and so a lot of the regular Whole30 compliant recipes will be out. Either way, what's important for me in the next few days is to remind myself that while this will be HARD, it is also a real gift to myself and my body to live without sugar *and* potentially live without intestinal discomfort once and for all. That's pretty exciting! 

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm! I am excited to have all of this support, and eager to report back and help offer motivation when needed. 

Hi I'm Jen and I'm starting Jan 2 as well. I lost about 100 pounds between 2007 - 2010 and have mostly kept them off. I ate pretty clean and during my journey eliminated gluten, dairy, most processed foods and most sugar. I successfully have remained diet coke and artificial sweetener free which I'm pretty proud of. 

Along the way I've found a love of running and triathlons too. 

The last few months though have been tough and many bad habits (including dairy) and gluten free but processed foods have been creeping back in and my weight has been creeping back up. Along with the fact that I've been enjoying one too many glasses of wine during the week, too many potato chips and other stuff has led me to a point of needing a fresh new start - I was so happy to hear about "It Starts With Food" I'm excited to go on this journey - and I'm thrilled that hubby will be joining me! 

I will be blogging my whole9 journey at my blog - my last post was about being inspired to try this program. Here's the link in case you're interested! http://seejenroerun.blogspot.com

Looking forward to becoming a part of the community  ;)

I'm starting on 1/2. I guess I'll be learning as I go! I just got the It Starts With Food book. I have been on every "diet" out there. I have been on a search for the perfect way of eating for me for many years. My family and friends literally roll their eyes when I have a "new way of eating". I am counting on this being the jump start I need to a way of eating that will help me feel good. Looking forward to being a part of this group for support. Good luck all!

Hello everyone, I'm starting with you on Jan. 2 as well!  I think I've "undone" every bit of good progress I've made in the past.  Dealing with family, school (i'm a student at 52 years), menopause and more.  Yet I want to get healthy and strong.  Sight seeing with my kids this past week in Germany, I've seen how out of shape I am.  I look forward to the journey with you.

Hi everyone, I will be starting Jan 2 as well! I did my first whole30 last year and loved it but have been eating on and off paleo ever since and completely went down hill this holiday season. I am discouraged because I started whole30 for health reasons and feel that I have set myself back a little due to my recent poor food choices. My goal is complete the whole30 autoimmune protocol, it done parts of it before but I want to go all the way and see what progress I can make. We will see how it goes... Good luck to everyone!

Archived