Salmon cakes!

Lisaken88

Salmon. (I use 1 lb fresh boned/skinned to make several for lunches)

1 egg

1 cup sweet potatoes/ canned massed or shred your own

Green onion or any other preferred chopped veggie

Salt/pepper to your taste

Almond flour to desired consistency

I use less sweet potato so I need less almond flour.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Can you eat the salmon patties even though they contain almond flour and coconut flour?  I thought we were not supposed to have those on the Whole30???

You can have almond flour and coconut flour in salmon patties.

You cannot use almond flour or coconut flour to make Paleo pancakes, breads, cookies or other treats while on a Whole30.

• 2 years later...

Can you make the one in the book without the sweet potato altogether?  I cannot find any dang canned sweet potato at my store (of course was in a rush), that is not full of sugar!  If so, just more almond flour?  If so how much?  Also, in the future I can just use sweet potatoes that I cook myself. So what is the ratio for fresh vs. canned? Thanks!

Can you make the one in the book without the sweet potato altogether?  I cannot find any dang canned sweet potato at my store (of course was in a rush), that is not full of sugar!  If so, just more almond flour?  If so how much?  Also, in the future I can just use sweet potatoes that I cook myself. So what is the ratio for fresh vs. canned? Thanks!

I don't know about the recipe in the book, but pre-whole30 I would make fish cakes without any added potato/sweet potato. Here is my recipe: 

1 can fish (small tuna size, not one of the large "soup can" sizes), finely minced green onions and bell peppers, fresh or dried herbs/spices (either cumin and chili powder or italian seasonings and garlic), 1-2 eggs, and a few tablespoons to a 1/4 cup of bread crumbs (sub with almond flour on Whole30). Then once that was mixed together I would form them into patties and then coat the patties in an additional layer of bread crumbs (again use almond flour in place of the bread crumbs on Whole30). The trick to getting them to keep their shape was the extra coating to hold the patty together. 

They were never as firm and sturdy as the potato based fish cakes I've had on Whole30, so they don't work as well if you are packing them for something, but they were very tasty and held together okay for a dinner. 

• Moderators

Yes you can just roast sweet potato and use that. It's 1:1 for canned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I could not find any canned sweet potatoes that weren't packed in syrup, so I am going to try them with some canned pumpkin instead. I'll report back!

Definitely works, I can attest to that!  Absolutely no difference in taste or texture as far as I could tell either because I've done both.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived