November 30 start date---Christmas who?

Mainegirl34

Hi everyone!  I met someone that did the whole 30 this past summer and the idea always stayed with me.  I had previously lost weight on Weight Watchers, but I gained all of that back.  The food never made me feel very good, and I am sick of being obsessed with counting calories/points, because all that has ever left me is spiraling out of control.

I had searched for a way to control my food issues on my own, and then I remembered the lady that I met.  She had just finished her whole 30 and had come into my work filled with energy.  She was literally glowing.  She had an ice cream and she asked if she could put it in the freezer because it was making her sick and she didn't want it.  When I asked her why she literally gushed about the program and how amazing it was.  Fast forward to the present and it seems like I have been hearing about a Paleo lifestyle everywhere.  Even cancer survivors that I have met have embraced the lifestyle and one even has his own chickens!

I'm hoping that this "reset" can help me fix the issues with food (and even sometimes alcohol!) that I have.  My goal is to stop the voice in my head that always says, "track those calories" and learn to listen to my body.  I want to stop the voices that say, "You need whole grains.  Whole grains, whole grains, whole grains..." because for me carbs are the beginning and the force behind every time I spiral out of control.  I would like to be able to be that person at the party that doesn't need to drink to have a good time.  I know it seems like I am setting myself up for failure doing it as Christmas, but I feel it's the opposite.  This would be the time of the year that I would give into my excuses and practice no self-control.  My gift to myself this year is to learn to have the self-control and control over food that I have desperately searched for my whole life.

Good luck Mainegirl. I did a whole30plus last year starting Dec 21st for the same reason and it changed my life. I had a couple of interesting dishes on Xmas day like date wrapped bacon and mustard dried pears, and I did have a small homemade coconut flour muffin when everyone else has the traditional pudding but no sugar, no wine, no grains and no snacking, it was wonderful. And I am feeling good about this Xmas knowing that I can and actually have said no to junk eating and binging at this time.

Bet wishes for your whole30.

Mainegirl - I am also starting tomorrow. I would love to join you. W30 is a great way to focus on health and how you feel vs calories and a number on the scale. I want to focus on the holiday and others and not all of the trash food that is around. That is my goal this time.

Let's do this! Any others that want to join?

Cecy, bacon is ok as long as it is compliant. most bacon contains sugar which makes it not ok. It's also considered more of a fat source, so should be used more like a condiment instead of the main focus of your meal.

Fruit should be eaten with a meal, and generally up to 1-2 serves a day is recommended. you can eat more, or none. You should aim to keep it to one piece or a closed fist sized portion of cut fruit and don't let the fruit push vegetables off your plate :)

I'm starting my second Whole 30 on Nov 30th. I just finished my last one a week back(Nov 23rd) and felt absolutely great + lost 8 pounds. Then this past week I've found myself slipping back into my old sugary, bad ways and I still have 9 pounds to lose so am starting round 2 tomorrow morning to get me back on the right track. This will mean staying strong through through Christmas and visiting family festivities(=mom cooking sinful delights).Good luck to you and me! :)

It's great to see so much support!  Halfway down with day one and it's been easy.  Going to a dinner party and I already know my food options and they are totally compliant!  It will be difficult not to imbibe, but hey, that's a major part of my growing process!  Good luck everyone :)

I'm with y'all! Just started today, after spending a week with an awesome Marine friend and his wife, who have done this and will be doing it with me from afar now that I'm back home. I'm not going to be discouraged by the "best not to start during the holidays" post on the Whole 30 FB page! Not so much in it for the weight-loss factor as for all the other benefits!

I'm going to a party tonight too, MaineGirl, and since I just made the decision to start today (so far so good!) I've got a lot of reading to do to stay strong and know what I'm doing! (I'm originally from Maine, BTW!)

Silly in some ways, but I'm starting today as well. I hadn't seen my daughter for a few months and I can't believe the weight she has lost eating this way. She had been telling me about it, but...... Today I bought the book and now logged on.... So here we go.

I'm starting tomorrow and have spent today prepping some food.  I'm super nervous about going through it during Christmas party season (I already have 5 on the calendar), but am not very good at moderation either. All or nothing for this girl! 

Hi ! I really have like a problem, I use to wake up at 6:30 am but I don't have breakfast until 9am, at 8 am sppining , before the whole30 I used to drink a Green juice and a ginger shot before de sppining, what can I eat first thing in the morning before my class and then have my real breakfast at 9 am? Thank you

Hi ! I really have like a problem, I use to wake up at 6:30 am but I don't have breakfast until 9am, at 8 am sppining , before the whole30 I used to drink a Green juice and a ginger shot before de sppining, what can I eat first thing in the morning before my class and then have my real breakfast at 9 am? Thank you

The recommended preWO meal is protein and fat. A HB egg is perfect, or some tinned fish in oil - both easy options to have on hand.

Hi everyone - hope you are doing well and staying on plan!!

I had my fav Whole30 breakfast today - eggs, mushrooms, spinach and 1/2 avocado with a spoonful of leftover sweet potatoes!!!!

Lunch will be salad with turkey, tomatoes and more avocado.

Here's to a great day!!!

Hi all,

I started November 30th as well.  My wife just got done with her 30 and the results have been pretty remarkable.  I've long been a devotee of low-carb diets and have lost a lot of weight several times only to have it come back when I've slipped.

I'm hoping this will be a better way to kick off what I hope is the last push I ever have to do to get back to being healthy and athletic again.

So far the food has not been an issue, nor has avoiding the things I am not allowed to eat.  However, I am used to being a snacker and I am used to diets and plans that push eating several times.  I'm having a difficult time not eating a handful of nuts or a strawberry or two here and there.

Secondly, for any veterans or for those of you Nov 30th starters, are you exercising?  We are having a new treadmill delivered tomorrow and I am wondering if there are best practices around when during the day to workout and when is the best time to eat relative to working out.

Have a great day everyone.  Christmas is going to be a challenge, but I am feeling very optimistic.

Matthew

Hi all,

I started November 30th as well. My wife just got done with her 30 and the results have been pretty remarkable. I've long been a devotee of low-carb diets and have lost a lot of weight several times only to have it come back when I've slipped.

I'm hoping this will be a better way to kick off what I hope is the last push I ever have to do to get back to being healthy and athletic again.

So far the food has not been an issue, nor has avoiding the things I am not allowed to eat. However, I am used to being a snacker and I am used to diets and plans that push eating several times. I'm having a difficult time not eating a handful of nuts or a strawberry or two here and there.

Secondly, for any veterans or for those of you Nov 30th starters, are you exercising? We are having a new treadmill delivered tomorrow and I am wondering if there are best practices around when during the day to workout and when is the best time to eat relative to working out.

Have a great day everyone. Christmas is going to be a challenge, but I am feeling very optimistic.

Matthew

Hi Matthew

Good to hear that your wife got great results and has inspired you to do a whole 30 too :)

If you're eating enough at meals you shouldn't need to snack inbetween because of hunger - if the fruit and nuts are just out of habit, really think about whether you're hungry or not, have a drink, and occupy yourself with something else! If you are actually hungry, have a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies and consider changing your portion sizes at your next meal.

I exercised (weight training) all through my whole 30. It doesn't matter when you train - do it when it suits you! The recommended food intake is preWO protein and fat prior to working out then postWO lean protein and starchy vegies (no fat) immediately after. PreWO isn't as important, IMO, and you may be fine without it depending on when you ate your last meal. PostWO should be straight after you finish.

Hey all started today and your thread has answered a lot of what the emails haven't yet. Here are some questions i had answers to now if I'm wrong let me know; I don't need to count calories, I can work out and I'm not supposed to check the scale until the end. I eat mostly paleo but with the holidays I want to avoid junk and get over a weight plateau. Enjoy following along with you guys. Meisha

Meisha - I think you have it right - keep up the good work!

Matthew - my first Whole30 was not as good as it could have been because I ate WAY too much fruit, nuts and almond butter.  It can sabotage your efforts....however, even with awareness I was not able to cut it out.   That Whole30 was back in July and since then I have gotten a better handle on my snacking....I know that without a big breakfast with a good amount of fat I can't help but snack later in the day.

Great to see so many folks committing to this plan in December....impressive!!!

Yesterday was great, today will be another awesome day!

Breakfast - eggs, mushrooms, spinach and avocado

Lunch - salad, turkey, tomatoes avocado, olive oil

Dinner- beef vegetable soup, sweet potatoes, cabbage salad

I'm posting my Whole30 pics and insights on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fit-Fabulous-Foodie/134380006671271

I just did my third 1/2 marathon and I've got another coming up before the end of the year. I can't even run a whole 5k so I was proud to tackle these this year with run/walking. I've lost 40lbs and I want to love more because it will make the running so much easier! :D

I'm posting my Whole30 pics and insights on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fit-Fabulous-Foodie/134380006671271

I just did my third 1/2 marathon and I've got another coming up before the end of the year. I can't even run a whole 5k so I was proud to tackle these this year with run/walking. I've lost 40lbs and I want to love more because it will make the running so much easier! :D

Hi meisha - well done on the half marathon. I could never run that far (well, I probably could but I don't have the desire or determination to try!!)

Smoothies are discouraged on the whole 30, chewing your food is recommended. It's more satiating to chew instead of drink, and your body produces a different insulin response (even if the food being drunk or chewed is identical).

Every meal should fit the template and include protein, fat and vegetables - your smoothie had no protein or vegetables. Smoothies are often the vehicle for increased fruit consumption and limited vegie consumption, another reason they aren't recommended!

I'm also wondering if you added fat to meal 1&3? Cooking fat doesn't count for a lot as most would be left in the pan. I've added a link to the template to give you an idea of fat sources and portion sizes:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Thanks for the heads up I didn't think about the smoothie since the ingridents were whole30 friendly. I will watch those for sure I much prefer to chew. I love olives and avocado and will add them to meals. I've used some organic vinaigrette for fat and seasoning. Thanks for the template!

Amberino is right - fat is KEY!!!  At times I am blown away at how much fat I eat, but I swear the more I eat the flatter my stomach is.   It has taken me months to get to this point,  but I am SOOO grateful I have.  Fat is satisfying in ways that carbs never are for me.

Todays plan:

B- eggs, spinach, mushrooms and avocado

L- tuna salad with paleo mayo, greens, avocado and tomatos, oil and vingar, - yes, 3 sources of fat!

D - pumpkin soup with sausage

Archived