For me, it's a journey, not a destination

lgt2013

Today is day 1 of my post whole 30 life. While I saw a few positive changes from my whole 30, they were not life-changing, and I did not lose weight/decrease in size as much as I would like to have (only down 1.6 lbs, need to lose 15-20, or at least see a change in my waist size). My sleep has always been fine, only a problem when I drink caffeine too late or have a few glasses of wine, so it's hard to see improvement there. I did have a wicked headache for a few days at the beginning of the w30, I guess from the elimination of the sugar. I got a little taste of "tiger blood" for a few days mid-month, but the last few days, 5 or so, I've been noticeably less energetic and feeling the afternoon slump. I do notice less bloating, which makes me happy because that is always uncomfortable. As far as my skin, I had the worst breakout I've had in many years pre-cycle. (I'm an esthetician, so I'm very in tune with my skin and what might affect it). Maybe it was all the toxins in my system working their way out? I hope so, because I would prefer not to see a breakout like that again.

Today was a big struggle to avoid sugar, especially after not seeing the results on the scale that I had hoped to see. First I thought I'd go out and get something, donut, cake, whatever, to go with my coffee. Then I talked myself out of it, and started researching paleo treats online. I found a recipe for pumpkin bars and actually have all the ingredients in my house. But then I talked myself out of that too. There is something going on with me mentally about being past my w30, and also not losing weight. It's almost a "why bother" attitude. And then I remember the headaches that I got when I went cold turkey off of the sugar. So I'll keep it up, just keep telling myself "I don't eat sugar", and maybe one day I'll believe it. :)

I will continue to log my food here in order to figure out what I need to change to see some changes in my body. Any advice welcome!

Today

B: 3 eggs scrambled with 1 cup spinach, 4 mushrooms, 1/4 bell pepper, 1/4 c guacamole, 2 tbsp salsa; 1/4 cup whole9 cranberry sauce (thxgvng leftovers); black coffee

L: 1 chicken breast with 2 tbsp mayo (not w30), 2 c kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil, 2 cups butternut squash roasted w ghee and 1/4 c pecans (this was too much food -- I know because I wasn't hungry for dinner until 8 pm)

D: Salad of 2 c romaine, 1 tomato, 1 chicken breast, 2 slices bacon (not w30), and 1/4 c guacamole.

Getting ready for bed now and I have a headache. Not sure if it's from non-w30 ingredients.

Today

B: 3 eggs scrambled with 1 cup spinach, 4 mushrooms, 1/4 bell pepper, 1/4 c guacamole, 2 tbsp salsa; 1/4 cup whole9 cranberry sauce (thxgvng leftovers); black coffee

L: 1 chicken breast with 2 tbsp mayo (not w30), 2 c kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil, 2 cups butternut squash roasted w ghee and 1/4 c pecans (this was too much food -- I know because I wasn't hungry for dinner until 8 pm)

D: Salad of 2 c romaine, 1 tomato, 1 chicken breast, 2 slices bacon (not w30), and 1/4 c guacamole.

Getting ready for bed now and I have a headache. Not sure if it's from non-w30 ingredients.

If your goal is to lose weight, I would take bacon out of the picture (whether compliant or not) until you reach your goal.

Also, I would make your own mayo vs. use any store bought mayo. 

Yes, I know homemade is better, I just have a Costco-sized jar of mayo from before my W30 that I don't want to waste. But I don't really use it very often anyway. And I'll save the bacon for recipes -- it's a lot cheaper than proscuitto! Just curious, why no bacon over anything else?

Today:

B: 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper, and guacamole (same as yesterday, no salsa); black coffee

L: 2 chicken sausages sauteed with kale, sweet potato and garlic, drizzled with olive oil

S (was hungry 4 hours after lunch -- not enough fat?): chicken sausage with stone ground mustard

D: Sweet potato shepherds pie

Workout : T25 Total body circuit (25 min HIIT/plyo)

A little bit of an afternoon slump, around the time I was hungry. It's 9:30ish pm and I have a headache coming on. Why now? This is two days in a row of late headaches. I am also still struggling with denying myself treats, and bread! I wanted so badly to have a sandwich on toasted sourdough for lunch today. And yesterday I was fantasizing about a BLT. I didn't really crave bread at all during my W30, now all of a sudden I can't stop thinking about it.

Hi lgt, congrats on your whole30 and your next stage, You are doing great! For many of us 30 days just isn't enough to reap all the benefits.I would suggest increasing your non starchy veg content and perhaps reducing the starchy veg to see if that helps... Too many carbs and not enough volume makes me eat more and crave more carbs.... Of course not enough carbs can make some people slump too so you'll just have to experiment to really know.

Bacon is a fat source and not high nutrient density so often suggested as a condiment.

I don't eat sugar as part of my diet anymore. This is a huge change for me. I decided against adding honey and maple syrup back in and I avoid foods with greater than 1% sugar. I still have lollies or dark chocolate occasionally like every month or two. But keeping sugar out of my daily meals keeps the dragon away. When i want something sweet I have dates or raisins or sweet potatoes with cinnamon or coconut.... It can be done, your taste buds and mind adjust eventually.

I kill sweet cravings with salt... Eg carrot sticks and olives, add in tuna or egg for a perfect mini meal!

Yesterday was day 3 PW30. Terrible sleep last night -- like an idiot, I had a few cups of decaf around 9 pm, and then my dog picked the coldest night of the year to get the runs. I was up 3 times to take him out, and it was so cold! So, about 5 good hours of sleep, with a couple "naps" around it. It will be interesting to see what kind of cravings pop up through the day today -- lack of sleep always brings on the carb cravings for me.

Food yesterday

B: 3 eggs scrambled w/ bell pepper. mushrooms, spinach, tomato and guacamole; black coffee

L: Sweet potato shepherd's pie

D: Ono topped w/ whole9 cran sauce, asparagus with mayo, handful of walnuts; decaf

Workout T25 Speed 1.0

I don't eat sugar as part of my diet anymore. This is a huge change for me. I decided against adding honey and maple syrup back in and I avoid foods with greater than 1% sugar. I still have lollies or dark chocolate occasionally like every month or two. But keeping sugar out of my daily meals keeps the dragon away. When i want something sweet I have dates or raisins or sweet potatoes with cinnamon or coconut.... It can be done, your taste buds and mind adjust eventually.

This is my plan for sugar, to only have it on special occasions, maybe once or twice a month, with something really good and worth it. I don't even want to give in when I just want something sweet because my sugar dragon is a beast. It still doesn't prevent the little devil on my shoulder from trying to convince me that it would be okay, because after all, I've already finished my W30. But I'm doing my best to ignore that devil!

You will know you have succeeded when every kitchen at work has a bowl of chocolate pieces just waiting to be eaten and you look but don't touch LOL happened to me yesterday.... Figured I would save it for something I will really enjoy rather than something that is just there. Last year I would have camped near the bowl then moved on to the next kitchen

Archived