Dopey Challenge in Jan at Disney. Anyone else?! :)

cristy

Hi there!

I started Whole30 today with my husband and am in the midst of training for the Dopey Challenge at Disney in Jan. (anyone else here doing it?!) In the past I've fueled with gels and recovery drinks and want to knock those resources out of the picture completely.

What do you runners/walkers here recommend for fuel pre/during/after the run? I have never done a full marathon before and I'm really excited about it, especially knowing I'll be more than a month into this by then and my body should be well on it's way to using fat for fuel.

Thanks!

Cristy

Welcome, Cristy

I started running when I was following a more SAD-type diet, definitely running on sugar.  I have since switched to a paleo diet/ nearly Whole30.  I keep my carbs at a moderately low level (~80g of total carbs per day) and run about 3 days and 30 miles per week. (my goal is to be "half-marathon ready" all the time, even though I only run 2-3 races per year).  I usually don't fuel during my training/recreational runs.  However, you may need something during your runs while you transition to becoming more fat adapted.  My choice would be pitted dates.

I follow the philosophy of "train low; race high" regarding carbs.  3-4 days before a race I will load up to 150-200g of carbs per day on sweet potatoes, winter squash, parsnips, and some fruit.  I take pitted dates with me during races too.  I don't drink Gatorade.  I put some water in my bottle along with the juice of one lemon and lime and some sea salt to replenish.

My 'experiment' has been successful.  Between August 2012 and November 2013, I took 31 minutes off of my half marathon time.  I will be running my first marathon in May.  I start training in February.  I will definitely listen to my body and see if I need more carbs. Same Whole30-compliant sources of course.

It may be rough going at first if you cut your carbs.  Just push through it.  Your legs might feel like lead at first, but it will be so worth it.

Best wishes with the upcoming Dopey Challenge :)

I did my last half marathon with just coconut water...no food. This was after being paleo for about 6 months and training with no pre/during run starch. That said carrying some mini lara bars would be what I would do for a full marathon if I were ever enticed to do one again. 

Thank you both so very much! I've been using Gu's every 5-6 miles, so I was thinking of replacing them with some nuts. Do you think that would help any? I will try pitted dates too. I'm willing to try anything that will help me out w/o going off of Whole30/Paleo approved foods. I've never felt so committed before and am definitely going to push through!

This week I have a 4 miler on Friday, a 10 miler on Sat and 23 on Sunday. That's a heck of a lot, but I'll load up on sweet potatoes, parsnips and fruit. I anticipate it being rough since it's week 1 of whole30, but I put off the distances last week because of the holiday and cannot delay the training any longer. I don't know if I'll ever do more than one full marathon in my lifetime, but I want to be able to finish this one upright! :P  

Thank you again for the welcome, I'm happy to be here!!

Thank you both so very much! I've been using Gu's every 5-6 miles, so I was thinking of replacing them with some nuts. Do you think that would help any? I will try pitted dates too. I'm willing to try anything that will help me out w/o going off of Whole30/Paleo approved foods. I've never felt so committed before and am definitely going to push through!

This week I have a 4 miler on Friday, a 10 miler on Sat and 23 on Sunday. That's a heck of a lot, but I'll load up on sweet potatoes, parsnips and fruit. I anticipate it being rough since it's week 1 of whole30, but I put off the distances last week because of the holiday and cannot delay the training any longer. I don't know if I'll ever do more than one full marathon in my lifetime, but I want to be able to finish this one upright! :P  

Thank you again for the welcome, I'm happy to be here!!

I wouldn't do nuts as the fat will make them slow to digest, you want fuel that is going to get processed quickly. Dates are good. Some people like to buy organic baby food pouches too. Not tried it myself but seems to be a popular choice.

I found the first 2 weeks I went paleo (before my W30 by a couple of months) to be very hard on my runs. Go easy and don't sweat it if your times are off and you feel weaker. The trick is to get through those weeks without crutching them with extra carbs so you make the primarily fat burner switch effectively. You will get that performance back and then some.

I wouldn't do nuts as the fat will make them slow to digest, you want fuel that is going to get processed quickly. Dates are good. Some people like to buy organic baby food pouches too. Not tried it myself but seems to be a popular choice.

I found the first 2 weeks I went paleo (before my W30 by a couple of months) to be very hard on my runs. Go easy and don't sweat it if your times are off and you feel weaker. The trick is to get through those weeks without crutching them with extra carbs so you make the primarily fat burner switch effectively. You will get that performance back and then some.

Good to know about the nuts and baby food, thank you! I'm anticipating terrible time/energy this weekend and am also probably goofy for attempting it when I shouldn't be since my body is adjusting. I'm definitely doing the 4 on Friday and will see if I think I can do the 10 and 23. If I feel like there's no way it's happening, then I'll do those distances next week when I"m further into the program. 

Huma energy gel is whole30 compliant I think. It's not really gel....fruit and chia seeds? I'm out of them at the moment, or I'd check the ingredient list, but I'm pretty sure it is compliant. But if you're post whole30, and it isn't compliant, it still works!

Chia seeds naturally absorb liquid and develop a tapioca-like clear jelly globe around them. They're also packed with nutrients and are very energy boosting. I'm sure you could just put a tablespoon or two of chia seeds in some fruit juice for some quick energy. Coconut water is also great as a replacement for sports drinks.

Thank you Vian! I bought some pitted dates and looked at the baby foods, but none of them stood out to me really. As for training this past weekend? HAHA. Forget it. I did a 3 mile walk and that was it for me. My body wasn't into it and I didn't want to push or do anything that might bring me over the edge. I will attempt it again this weekend. I'm on day 9 now and going strong!! Yesterday was the hardest yet by far. 

I've had chia seeds before, I used to mix them into oatmeal. I don't see why I couldn't try them in fresh oj for prerun/walk boost. :)

I'm about to give these a go: I think they would be a good gel replacement, my friend Hailey did them in Kona this year on the bike. Worked for her!! 

Vegan Energy bites:
1/2 cup cashews or almonds (raw)
1/2 cup pitted organic dates or figs
1/3 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon lime or orange juice
1/4 tsp sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Scoop out 1 tablespoon servings and roll into balls. Freeze overnight or until desired firmness.

• 2 weeks later...

goSonja, I will give those a go! I have all the ingredients so it shouldn't be difficult to make them.

I was at Whole Foods last week and found coconut butter individual packets and cashew butter packets made by Artisana. Anyone familiar with them? I thought they'd be pretty good because they're individual servings and can travel with me like gels/gu. 

I will be on Day 30 in 3 more days! I did go off a bit on Christmas, but I'm pushing forward instead of starting over. Less than two weeks to the Dopey Challenge to go! :)

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you've done a Disney race before (I'm going next fall! Yay!) but they always have bananas at their water/fuel stations. I know you're not supposed to eat a lot of fruit on Whole30, but I think you can make an exception for race day/training. 

Archived