A question about nuts

dboothsummers

I know nuts are okay, but most of what I read here says "may not be best source of fat" "easy to overeat"... so here's the question: If I put a perfect portion of nuts in a baggie every day and take to work (almonds or macadamia, right now) to eat as a fat for a snack or breakfast, is that okay? i'm preventing myself from overeating them, and i stick mostly to macadamia, but i have some weight to lose and am wondering if a perfect portion of nuts is any different on this diet than say some guac for my snack veggies.

thanks!

So nuts and seeds are on the fence for a couple of reasons: a) not great n6:n3 ratios, B) mostly PUFAs, c) potential gut irritant, d) REALLY easy to overeat. Lucky, nut butters fall into to category d) here, because the amount of nuts required to make a standard serving of nut butter is A LOT.

Both of them are okay on the Whole30, but just keep in mind it's not an ideal choice...and if you're having any lingering gut issues, try to cut back on them.

Here's my personal stance on nuts, and my handy way to avoid overeating them:

Eat as many as you want, as long as you shell them yourself.

So yeah, dbooth: don't stress about the nut intake...but I personally would try to eat enough at my last meal that I don't NEED that snack of macs whenever.

That being said, nuts ARE a great emergency food to have on hand during the, "OMG, I am SO hungry I will wind up face first in a bowl of jellybeans if I do not eat something NOW," moments.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Roasted often gets roasted in peanut oil or another non-compliant oil, so be sure to check.

Remember, you are trying NOT to snack, so don't plan for it. Bring some emergency food in case, but you want it to fit the meal template - protein, veggies, fat. Compliant pouches of tuna or wild sardines, cooked protein, raw veggies like red peppers, baby carrots, celery, jicama ...

I try to only eat nuts when travelling, chopped up on Velvety Butternut Squash or as an accent to a dish. I find that even the "shell them yourself" caveat isn't enough to slow me down... You'll see. :)

• 1 month later...

Roasted often gets roasted in peanut oil or another non-compliant oil, so be sure to check.

Remember, you are trying NOT to snack, so don't plan for it. Bring some emergency food in case, but you want it to fit the meal template - protein, veggies, fat. Compliant pouches of tuna or wild sardines, cooked protein, raw veggies like red peppers, baby carrots, celery, jicama ...

I try to only eat nuts when travelling, chopped up on Velvety Butternut Squash or as an accent to a dish. I find that even the "shell them yourself" caveat isn't enough to slow me down... You'll see. :)

Hey so I just noticed that these nuts I have eaten maybe twice since starting 6 days ago are roasted in peanut oil. DAMN! Do I have to start over? I have not eaten a ton, maybe a total of a 1/4 cup. They are now ex-nayed from the pantry!

Hey so I just noticed that these nuts I have eaten maybe twice since starting 6 days ago are roasted in peanut oil. DAMN! Do I have to start over? I have not eaten a ton, maybe a total of a 1/4 cup. They are now ex-nayed from the pantry!

Take a look at this article and make your decision from there. 

Archived