I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the Cyrex Labs testing for gluten issues. If so, was it worth the cost? I live in an area where there are no certified gluten practitioners. Did you convince your primary care physician to order the tests or did you do them on your own? Any and all info and advice would be appreciated. I know that I am sensitive to gluten, and I believe that I cross react to many other foods. I would like to stop guessing at things and have some definitive answers so so I know what I can and can't eat. I am disciplined and will do it if I have the info....just don't want to spend unnecessary money. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Australia, so the tests available may be very different.

Do your research on what kind of test it is, and whether you have to eat gluten to be able to take the test.

Whether or not the test is 100% definitive (many of them aren't) in the results (ie. can you test positive once in 60 tests, negative in all the others) and what the outcomes are, for either result in the test.

I didn't test positive for gluten antiobodies from a blood test. Then attempted a "gluten challenge" prior to a biopsy but got so sick I couldn't complete the challenge (heart palpitations, etc, I thought I was going to have a heart attack) past Day 8. The biopsy results are invalid if you don't complete the challenge.

I was really annoyed when I found out later, that the biopsy results would not have been definitive anyway (it's a tiny sample from your very long and complex insides, so often misses the impacted sites).

My experience was very poor: a gastroenterologist instructed me to consume gluten three times a day for eight weeks, knowing full well the results of the test would be inconclusive and the only treatment I would be recommended IF I tested positive, would be to avoid gluten (which I was already doing!). She was also absolutely sure that I couldn't be sick from eating the gluten, as I'm obese and "only skinny people are coeliac" - as a result, she refused to monitor my health while doing the "gluten challenge" and I got progressively sicker and sicker until my partner pulled the plug and dragged me to a doctor.

Archived