BT's whole 30

btriefus

been eating Paleo for about a year and a half but this has cut out a fair chunk of my standard fall backs , being cheese and yoghurt..

I have struggled in the first 2 weeks with headaches and I think a flu bug but it could just have been detox or withdrawals from too much caffeine..

However in the final week now and will complete .. but "no magic" .. having got over the headaches am now back on the bike .. which I was hoping would feel easier, but is the opposite.. exercise feels a lot harder.

I have had to increase the portion size of the suggested meals, or I get ravenous between meals..although that said I have actually had a couple of days where I only ate perhaps 1000 cals.. due to illness and lack of appetite. At the moment a palm sized portion of meat is about half of what I feel I need. Have bumped up the veggies but that makes me full and hungry.. never had that before.

Meanwhile I do notice a difference in reduced belly fat, and face is leaner.. but I have not lost a gram in weight.. probably lost inflamation only.

So the question is .. 30 days is not going to cut it.. do I keep on going ? or try eating less and keep on going.. without going into the entire meal plan I find the evening meal has been difficult to trim down.. and usually have a piece of fruit to finish..

This has been tough.

To me, it sounds like you may not have been eating enough to support yourself whilst sick, and to support your training. Generally, taking a break from exercise whilst sick would give you a better chance of recovery. Feeling less than stellar during exercise in first couple of weeks is normal, and many people back off the exercise during this time.

You mention headaches, no energy, being hungry - signs of not enough food! You need to eat enough to get you from one meal to the next without hunger. Could you provide a few days of food log along with your stats and activity? I never ate to the lower end of the template for protein or fat - usually two (or more) servings of each as I needed it to support my training.

I would personally continue for a while longer - you lost size and not weight. This is an ideal situation! I think you can achieve better energy and training with a few tweaks of your diet!

• Moderators

You might want to review the meal template again: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf The guidelines are 1-2 palm-size portions of protein. Eating 2 palm-size portions of protein at each meal is baseline behavior if that is what you need to be satisfied. 

Workouts typically suffer for a few weeks when you transition to a Whole30 diet, even if you are eating enough food. Your body needs time to adjust to burning fat efficiently. That said, it usually helps to be eating starchy carbs if you are active. They usually improve performance and how you feel. Things like sweet potato, butternut squash, beets, carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, plantains, etc. 

Archived