Need ideas for January W30 with Hubby!

MrsL519

My hubby and I have decided to kick off our 2014 with a whole30. I am trying to do my best until then but wasn't up for the challenge of being super strict during the holidays this year. Maybe next year.....  

This will be my second whole30 but Hubby's first. I have the luxury of working at an office so I quite often have left overs that I can re-heat in the microwave and actually sit down to lunch. Hubby is a local delivery driver and quite often eats lunch in the truck. His usual go-to right now is sandwiches but that will obviously have to change. 

I'm planning on buying him a thermos so he can have some warm soups with him but he will need more than that.

If anyone has any suggestions for on the go breakfast, lunch, and snacks (in case he gets stuck delivering way past dinner which has happened a time or two), we'd both be very grateful to hear them! 

TIA

:)

My hubby is a delivery (mass) driver for Coke (shhh! lol) and he eats quite often in the truck--so I totally understand! He leaves at around 4 am and can be out till 3pm or later depending on where he is in the delivery line up. 

I will make him breakfast casseroles--like http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#axzz2n0BGDZJM, Scotch egg variations such as this one http://www.marksdailyapple.com/mini-breakfast-meatloaves/#axzz2n0BGDZJM or egg/veg 'muffins' or he will take 3-4 hard boiled eggs. I will usually cut the bakes and what not into serving size squares and then cut the squares into bite size pieces so he can pop a bite in his mouth as he is going down the road. Lunches tend to be cold meatballs, roast boneless chicken thighs ala well fed cook ups, left over steak cut into strips, but he really prefers the meatballs, hands down (just asked him!) He also takes a tub (think a Glad plastic salad tub container) of raw veg to munch--such as baby carrots, celery sticks, cucumber slices, broccoli/cauliflower,olives/nuts for fat. He also ADORES left over cold roasted sweet potato chunks too for carbs. Hubby is talking over my shoulder and said that no local delivery guy eats a lunch that requires 2 hands or a utensil. I will over pack veg and send extra hard boiled eggs if there is a possibility of him being out longer. We have a soft sided cooler that I will pack cold stuff in with an blue ice pack, and what is nice about that, is when it is empty, he can just put it in his duffel bag

Hope those help! Sent you a friend's request too!

edited to add that we use olives and nuts for fats in his lunches again because having a dip for his veg doesn't always work really well, and hubby isn't a big fan of eating coconut flakes. We do a variety of olives and I soak/roast raw nuts and put them in the small snack size zip lock bags or small glad cups and they seem to work well for us. 

Thank you!! That is very helpful! I like the comment about 2 hands or a utensil. I kinda felt like I had to avoid those two things haha! :) 

I always forget about scotch eggs even though they sound delicious. Someday I'll have to remember to make them!  :)

This is the best meatloaf I have ever had:

http://paleomg.com/summer-breakfast-meatloaf/

I have to bring lunch or dinner to school a few times a week, and I can't heat anything up. The meatloaf is surprisingly good cold, as are baked sweet potatoes. I also sometimes have Aidell's (sp?) chicken apple sausages, or Applegate hotdogs (with a HB egg)...those are just fine cold. Vegetables are more of a problem for me. There just aren't that many I like raw/cold (unless I have dip). Currently I'm stuck with cucumber, red pepper, and/or carrots.

Glad I found this. My husband is a FexEx driver and eats while he runs his route. My biggest problem is that he doesn't like HB eggs. I don't think he would eat the Scotch Eggs just for that reason. It's good to know that the sweet potatoes are good cold. We eat them a lot, but there aren't generally leftovers! I'll just have to start cooking more of them at a time! We are starting this on Jan 2. I would do Jan. 1, but I make gumbo on New Years and the roux and the rice make it not compliant at all!

LOL ErinL--I practically have to put a lock on the tub of left over roast potato cubes--they are nearly food without breaks for my husband! I cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and toss them with coconut oil and salt/pepper/chopped garlic and roast for an hour at 350 on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing them once every 20 minutes or so, then I crank the oven up to 400 and let them go for about 15-20 minutes--be sure to keep an eye on them! Doing them this way the potatoes are soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside and they maintain a texture difference even when cold--I think that is the trick for my husband. 

While hubby is fine with hardboiled eggs, veg can be a challenge at times, that is why I like the breakfast casseroles--I can load them up with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onions (pre cooked) sometimes I can sneak in bell peppers--I like to do the one I listed from marks daily apple, and instead of doing sausage, I will do left over taco meat, and that way, I can sneak in the bell peppers and kale and other greens. LOL feel almost like we should start a thread on feeding our delivery/truck driver spouses! 

JJB - that meatloaf sounds DELICIOUS. I'll have to try that! Good to know it's tasty cold too! I have a feeling the veggies will be an issue for my Hubby too but I can load up that meatloaf and at least he'll get it that way.

Karyna - good luck to you both as well!

ErinL - I'll have to post what ends up working for him on here so we can help each other! If you have any ideas please feel free to share! We also will not be starting right on the first because I make home made Chinese food for NYE and there's usually left overs!

SpinSpin - Next thing you know and we'll have our own tv show "The real trucker wives of the Whole30" bahaha   :lol: (Sorry, I had to!) I'm going to try making the sweet potatoes like you do. I just eat them cold (mashed) and I'm happy but that requires a utensil and Hubby agreed last night that's against the law as a truck driver  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on starting a whole 30 in January as well. With the interest of making it a little easier, I've asked my husband to join me. Since I prep all of our meals anyways it should be easy. Like several of you, my husband is also a delivery driver for a local trucking company.. and hates hard boiled eggs. I'm excited to bounce ideas off each other. Here a couple go to methods of lunches I will be utilizing..

1. Soups! (I need to get him a thermos) 

2. Lettuce Wraps 

3. Salads 

4. Stuffed Peppers 

5. I'm going to attempt a scotch egg, but this may be a fail 

Breakfast is easy because he eats that at home before work, and I eat it after my crossfit workout. Dinner also easy because I make that when I get home, or late nights I plan ahead and have it ready. 

I'm going to follow this thread because I often feed my kiddoes in the car on the way to and from various rehearsals and classes.  I've been kind of stumped about what to give them that isn't wrapped in bread or a tortilla.  These ideas might help me make that transition.

I've been looking at Well Fed 2, and I really like the meatballs. I know that those would be easy for him to eat on the go. He also eats breakfast and dinner with us, so lunch is the problem meal. Right now, he needs to gain back about 20 pounds, so I'm still trying to figure out if he can stay totally compliant or if I need to allow him the dairy. I also can't wait to try the Old School Italian Meat Sauce!

ErinL--I would look at adding nuts, avocado and olives to his lunches--I do the nuts and olives for my husband in his lunches and he really goes for that--plus they are easy to eat for him. Does your hubby have a 'lunch time' or does he go go go? My hubby is go go go, with no real breaks unless you count him waiting in line to get into a dock so easy eats are best for him, but if your hubby has an actual lunch break, what about chili (in a thermos) ? You could add a cup of avocado chunks that he could have with it. 

Just re-read that he is a FedEx driver--I would look at nuts and olives--and I just remembered from Eat like a Dinosaur--they have 50/50 burgers--half bacon and half beef ground together-- what about doing something like that only as a meatball instead of a patty? And I really recommend the roasted sweet potatoes and roasting other veg as well (I do dress them after roasting in olive oil and season with salt and pepper but not so much that they are drippy)--you can get some fats in that way too--and if he could eat between stops, add a dressing or maybe a mayo based dip he could dip them in. 

I have also been feeding hubby like this (whole 30/Paleo/Primal) for about 3 years now too, so I have lots of experience with keeping him fed!

Thank you so much for ideas! I was thinking that he would be fine without the dairy, so it will just be up to me to plan enough for meals that there is enough for his lunches. How much do you normally pack? I was doing some reading on gaining weight while doing a W30, and it really advocated clean snacking between meals if needed. I know that he can't take in enough calories in 3 meals to gain anything. I know that he eats throughout the day. He gets a 30 min break, but doesn't always take it if he's busy, which seems like all the time lately. Finger foods would be best. He likes those little sweet peppers, but I was wondering if I could stuff them with something to add fat and protein. Tuna would be the obvious choice, but he doesn't like canned tuna. Any other ideas?

Thank you so much for ideas! I was thinking that he would be fine without the dairy, so it will just be up to me to plan enough for meals that there is enough for his lunches. How much do you normally pack? I was doing some reading on gaining weight while doing a W30, and it really advocated clean snacking between meals if needed. I know that he can't take in enough calories in 3 meals to gain anything. I know that he eats throughout the day. He gets a 30 min break, but doesn't always take it if he's busy, which seems like all the time lately. Finger foods would be best. He likes those little sweet peppers, but I was wondering if I could stuff them with something to add fat and protein. Tuna would be the obvious choice, but he doesn't like canned tuna. Any other ideas?

Ground beef, lamb or sausage. Guacamole snack pack on the side for a fat.

The spicy little peppers? the ones that are usually stuffed with cheese? What about doing an olive tapenade to stuff them with? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kalamata-olive-tapenade/ might be a tad messy, but would be a great way to get fat into him!

My husband gets a 30 minute break, but usually doesn't take it either! I have a bunch of Glad containers that we picked up at Costco, and he usually takes 3 tubs--one big square one with raw veg in it--he likes broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots and mushrooms best--and then 2 of the smaller, rectangular ones with various things in them. He has to be at work and on the way to his first stop by 4:30, so he usually takes his breakfast too, which is 3 or 4 hb eggs or a decent sized portion of a egg casserole--4x4 square from an 8 inch pan, that I have cut into chunks for him, and roasted sweet potato chunks. For lunch, he has meatballs --I freeze them individually and they defrost by the time lunch comes around if they are pulled out the night before, or 3 chicken thighs cut up, and I also put olives in a snack size zip lock bag as well as nuts--I roast raw nuts that I have soaked over night in salt water-- in another one. Then, sometimes, he takes grapes or peeled and sectioned oranges or cut up apples or a few clementines. He doesn't really have time to do dips, so we depend on the olives and nuts for most of his on the road fats. He also really likes left over meat loaf that has been cut into cubes as well--he has told me that is just as good as meat balls.

What about planning a 4th or 5th meal for him while he is out on the road?  Jerky, nuts or olives and veg? Canned tuna or chicken with packets of wholly guacamole and veg? How does he do with cold bacon? You could pack a few slices of cold bacon to have as an additional fat? Maybe pack the snacks separately from his lunch? Way back when we first started all of this, hubby would sit down and eat ALLL of the food at once and then be starving by the time he got home, and I had to label his snacks and meals until he got used to having them--this is a guy who lived on bagels and am/pm burgers when he was on the road when we first went primal and it was quite an adjustment! But, now he is the guy who told me that the brussel sprouts with bacon and dried cranberries was his favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner! 

Collard Greens as wraps make a great sandwich bread alternative. The trick is to wrap them tightly & then they're quite portable. Baba Ganush makes a great hummus alternative, which can act as a "glue" to keep all the veggies & protein inside.

• 11 months later...

Archived