Whole30 for LARGE Athletes

halsed

Hi All,

I'm currently on Day 22 of my first Whole30. I'm a CrossFit athlete and I'm a very big guy. I'm 30 years old, weighed 259lbs at the start of Whole30 and am 6"4. I've always been an amateur athlete (lots of rugby but also squash, bball, soccer, etc...). I don't have washboard abs, but I'm not really fat either (although by virtually every standard I am considered 'obese'. Thanks medical community!). 

My Whole30 experience so far has been varied. We were already on a Paleo Light diet (no breads, grains, mostly fresh meats and produce) and focused on healthy sleeping patterns. The first two weeks were very tough and I mean VERY tough. Adapting to unsweetened coffee was extremely hard and discovering just how many calories I need to intake on a daily basis (A LOT!) to keep going was a shocker. I was training hard 5 times a week and was seeing extreme declines in energy, big increases in soreness/aches/pains, and having a lot of trouble sleeping. My performance really tanked. Two weeks in and I was extremely frustrated with my regressions in the gym.

In week 3 I backed down to training 3 times a week, increased my intake of starchy veg, removed nut butters and snacking in general, and focused on having BIG breakfasts, normal lunches, small pre-training meal when needed, and then a normal dinner following my workout. 

Things have more or less evened out now. Energy levels seem to be stabilizing and I'm anxious to see how I fare in the Box this week. I rarely feel 'hungry' outside of meal times and have not had any of the usual aches and pains as before so I think I might be on the cusp of the good stuff.

I wanted to share this here in case there were any other large athletes who could share tips/tricks/advice on the Whole30 program. I couldn't find much information for large male athletes here so was hoping more folks can chime in with their experiences/tips/tricks. 

• Moderators

The meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf -  recommends 5 meals per day on days you train. Three regular meals, a pre-workout snack, and a post-workout snack. When I was doing CrossFit, I ate a can of tuna and a baked sweet potato after workouts at the gym and then drove home and fixed a full lunch that I ate about an hour after my workout was finished. It sounds like you have been making do with no more than 4 meals on workout days. Making sure you get the extra calories from pre- and post-workout meals can be really important. 

Starchy veggies provide fewer calories than bread or pasta, so you may need to eat a lot of them to keep your energy levels up. I did okay on one baked sweet potato per day at 190 pounds, but you might need two per day (or an equivalent volume of butternut squash, parsnips, plantains, etc.). 

I'm not in quite the same situation, but I've experienced a little of what you have.  I'm an endurance athlete, and the first couple of times I've tried Whole30, I had very simliar symptoms to what you're experiencing.  My runs were horrible; slow, painful and it took awhile to recover from them.  

Getting enough food is key, and also the right types of food.  This time around, in addition to the pre- and post-workout protocol, I'm incorporating a starchy vegetable in all my post-workout meals, either a sweet potato, parsnips, squash, etc.  At non-workout meals, I make sure I get a good amount of fat, in the form of avocado or oils, and tons of colorful veggies.  I find that combo does well to help me recover and give me enough energy to get through the rest of the day.

I'm still having some problems sleeping if I do a hard workout at night, but I think the issue is getting enough calories.  I had one evening workout earlier this week and had a good meal afterwards and was able to sleep ok.  

Thanks for the replies, folks! I finished my Whole 30 yesterday and here are the things I am taking away:

-If you are a large athlete with a busy training schedule, you need to eat ALOT. Don't underestimate just how much food you need to eat.

-Forget snacking. Plan proper meals and pre/post WO meals, and stick with it. If you're hungry between meals, you're not eating enough.

-In retrospect, I should have cut back on training to start and slowly ramp back up over the 30 days.

-Week 1 and 2 were awful for me, but it did get better.

-BIG breakfasts were clutch for me. On training days I would have 3 eggs, 4-5 pieces of bacon (or homemade b-fast sausages), and sweet-potato hashbrowns. Other days I would have the same but fruit instead of hash browns. If I don't have a big breakfast I get hungry before lunch and the whole day goes out of whack. Also, big breakfasts are just awesome.

-I workout at the end of the day. If I'm hungry before a workout, I'll eat a can of tuna or avocado or sometimes just a banana and it seems to work.

-We generally eat within an hour of working out so I've never bothered with a post-workout meal.

-Post Whole30 I don't crave 1/2 the things I thought I would. 

-Grapes are nature's JuJube.

-I poop 1/2 as much as before. (hey, we're all adults here, right?!)

-I lost 6lbs

-I don't feel a huge change in energy - but this does seem to be slowly trending upward (compared to before I started).

I'm not tall, but have an unusually high muscle mass (I've had one of those scans and I'm a statistically extreme outlier for a female my height) and I eat more protein than you, with less workouts :) 

I've found a big protein breakfast is key for me not having muscle wastage and feeling strong. Before Whole30, my breakfasts were rarely high enough in protein, I'd usually have two eggs max and it just wasn't enough, I was always tired and hungry.

If you're strugglng or finding you're hungry/tired, see how much protein you can eat before you really don't want to eat it anymore, it might be more than you thought (a good amount of fat helps too!). I also find eating breakfast closest to when I wake up, gives a better result than waiting 30+ minutes.

I'm an endurance athlete and crossfit for cross training. I have been following the paleo lifestyle for several years now...(except I have fallen flat on my face pretty much since September) ANyway...I do remember my runs litterally sucked for about 3 weeks when I left a carb heavy..dairy heavy (Mediterranean) diet. So about large athletes...I can only speak from personal experience and what has worked for me. I'm what is called a "sturdy" athlete...I ain't no Paula Radcliff... ;)

1. Pre-workout- up super early...green tea and chopped up green apple and 2 tbsp sunflower seeds & 2 tbsp ground flax seed. (I add 1tsp of fish oil...but that is me) little sea salt and cinnamon. Then walk my 3 dogs (yes all at once) home and off for my 6 mile run or indoor wt/ crossfit w/o.

2. post-workout- I fire up the blender with a mixture of kale, celery, beets, parsley, cucumber, carrots, basicly any veggie that tases good and fits in the blender...then I add 1 scoop of Whey protein (according to paleo for athletes it is acceptable) 2 tbsp sunflower seeds. That mush usually holds me until noon.

3. Good protein and large green salad w plenty of olive oil (I make sure I have enough protein that I feel satisfied and not starving by 3:00 in the afternoon.

4. Dinner is a cooked veggie...may include a starchie veg like a veggie soup that I make...and a good quality protein. I eat until I am satisfied...not stuffed.

5. I try to go to bed a little bit hungry...I go to bed early but stop dinner b/t 6 and 7 (earlier if I can manage it) I like to eat by 5:30.

I did notice as I reduced my weight my appetite became satisfied with what I fed it without any overeating or cravings...weird for me!!!

...super bonus as I ate better...my workouts flew past my once max weight lifted...speed of a run...etc. It was so exciting it was almost like a gift from God. My aches and pains dissapated...my rigormortis after a LONG run (18 or 20 miles) did not exist!!! Wow...good thing day 1 starts tomorrow....because I have a little catching up to do!!! 

Thanks for the topic

My plan is to re-introduce myself into the paleo life with smart kindness!!! Because we all know it really does not take that long to feel better when we are taking care of ourselves.

So how have things been going for you??

Be well & feel well

Grandma Carolyn   :)  

• Moderators

2. post-workout- I fire up the blender with a mixture of kale, celery, beets, parsley, cucumber, carrots, basicly any veggie that tases good and fits in the blender...then I add 1 scoop of Whey protein (according to paleo for athletes it is acceptable) 2 tbsp sunflower seeds. That mush usually holds me until noon.

Whey or any other protein powder is not okay during a Whole30. The Whole30 is a whole foods diet. There is absolutely no need for protein powder, even for the biggest athletes. Protein powder is a short cut that short changes you on nutrition. 

Smoothies can lead to over eating because you can drink more food than you can chew and eat. And, you are likely to not feel full as long after a smoothie as you would eating the same food in an un-blended state.

• 4 weeks later...

Jess I'm going to give that whirl.  My workouts have been ALL over the map.  I used to LOVE Spin classes but I feel like my muscles LITERALLY fail me mid class...... apron 30 mins in.  I am working on training for a 5K and Tri and my runs.....  I had a great run, added some distance last weekend.  I was sore for DAYS.  I mean thank God for foam rolling but goodness....  My performance has been terrible.  I'll set up the week and see how it all goes.  Thanks!

Dear Tom:

I think that the endurance athlete is looking at a fuelling issue and indeed as Carolyn says Cordell and Friel seem to make additions/exceptions to what I understand a Paleo diet to be in order to provide enough fuel for top-class endurance athletes. That makes me slightly uncomfortable as what one/we are really looking for is a way of eating or way of life that allows us to do our sports, work, family responsibilities,etc within that lifestyle choice. I do think that most of us, save the elites who are pushing the envelope on things can probably do endurance or weight training without needing to step outside the W30 or Paleo protocol. Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek seem to think this is possible and they are talking about high level runners and cyclists. With endurance sports, what goes on inside our minds seems to be a major factor in both success and failure.

The additional protein being offered by whey or any protein concentrate may or may not be necessary for athletes but I would point out that their fuelling needs are higher than most people on the list?

Carolyn, on 23 Dec 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:snapback.png

Whey or any other protein powder is not okay during a Whole30. The Whole30 is a whole foods diet. There is absolutely no need for protein powder, even for the biggest athletes. Protein powder is a short cut that short changes you on nutrition. 

Archived