rgbarron01-the journey continues

rgbarron01

I had great success posting my food plan while doing my whole 30.  Great accountability too, so I will continue during the reintroduction phase and possibly beyond.

I am reintroducing dairy today.

Food Plan

M1:  sauteed kale and onions, scrambled eggs topped with one slice Muenster cheese

M2: tomato soup with chicken and vegetables, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 c full-fat plain greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 c frozen berry blend (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries)

M3: broiled flounder, butternut squash, broccoli--I will use butter in here somewhere

I don't envision eating a whole lot of dairy in the near future but wish to see if it negatively effects me as I'd like to enjoy the random pat of butter ( I will have to watch this...I do like butter), sprinkle of cheese, etc.  Other than on pizza, I didn't consume a lot of cheese prior to W30, yogurt bores me and I don't drink milk.  Curiosity more than anything.

rhonda

Food Plan

M1: kale and onions, 3 fried eggs

M2: tuna salad ( pricey tuna, onions, celery, homemade mayo), tomato/vegetable/chicken soup, apple

M3: hamburger patty, roasted cauliflower, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

Dairy reintro did not go as I had expected.  I ate the dairy and I think the dairy ate me.  

Thanks for the support, Lizard!  I feel a bit too wonky right now to be upbeat about my planned gluten reintro on Friday.  Hopefully this will pass quickly.

Food Plan

M1:  hamburger patty w/ fried onions and mushrooms, 1/2 sweet potato, broccoli

M2:  Deviled eggs, tomato/vegetable/chicken soup, apple w/ sunbutter

M3:  fried flounder with garlic mayonnaise, slaw, roasted cauliflower 

Yesterday's food plan went as planned.  Started feeling better and better as the day progressed.

Hmmm...I'm really liking kale for breakfast.  Now that is a sentence I never thought I would say.  Must pick up more at the grocery,  

rhonda

Sorry you had a bad experience with dairy re-intro but it looks like you are recovering pretty well.  Are you ready for gluten tomorrow?  That was the hardest for me and I still, 6 months later, don't eat gluten except for the occasional homemade sprouted or soured wheatberry flour. 

I get what you mean about not thinking you would ever put enjoy, kale, and breakfast together in a sentence.  I was so surprised after my whole30 that I was craving greens in the morning.  I also loved having them partially cooked in the fridge so they were super easy to finish in butter and add some eggs.  YUM, I might have to go make some now!

Anywho, good luck tomorrow :)

Yesterday's food plan went as written with the exception of adding spinach to dinner...after my son said, "Oh, we're having the white meal tonight."  Funny kid.

What a great idea to keep partially cooked kale in the fridge for breakfast.  I stopped by the store last night and bought some more...and picked up some golden beets to roast as a treat this weekend.  (Again, an odd sentence combo: beets=treat!).

I did rebound fairly quickly from the dairy fiasco, thankfully.  I will try it again at the end of my reintros just to make sure.  I decided to reintro  non-gluten grains today instead of gluten.  I have to work this weekend, which means working 12 days in a row.  On weekends we work solo and I don't want to risk being sick.  I'm hoping non gluten grains are the lesser of the two evils :P

I'm not going to reintro each non gluten grain separately as I expect that would take forever, so there will be a mixed bag here.  If I have a reaction, then will narrow it down later.  I am hoping that worst case scenario is that I am hungrier.

I still have not had any added sugar/sugar substitutes/weird chemical things (yay!), so keeping it clean.

Food Plan

M1:  kale w/ onions and garlic, grits, eggs

M2:  tuna salad (tuna, chopped HB egg, onion, mayo) on mixed baby salad greens, 1/2 cup cooked (gluten free) oatmeal w/ frozen mixed berries and cinnamon, a few macadamia nuts 

M3:  stir-fry chicken and lots-o-vegetables w/ 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 avocado

rhonda

Some how I always end up doing that too.  For some reason when I cook a white fish I have cauliflower in the fridge and decide to make it that night as well, the hubs has made similar comments ;) 

Have you read Well Fed?  In regards to partially cooking the greens, I like to get a variety of hearty greens then cook them up in one swoop.  It is suggested that you wash your greens but leave them wet.  Get a large pan good and hot and add the wet greens to it.  Cover it and let them "steam saute" for a minute or two, adding a bit more water if necessary.  I then package them up and have ready to go greens all week.  Such a savior in the AM when I barely can get hot tea made much less a veggie-ful breakfast.  I do this with a lot of veggies, brussels, squash, sweet potato etc.

Good luck today with re-introduction and your 12 day work stint.  Good choice to do non-gluten grains for that!

Yesterday's non-gluten grain reintro was essentially noneventful.  However, I can see how easily these food items can overtake the plate, even with a modest/appropriate serving size.  I had to sacrifice an egg at breakfast to make belly room for the grits.  M2 oatmeal was more dessert-like.  I did feel as if I were pushing the limits of my satiety to finish.  I ended up eating M3 later than I had hoped due to late appointment at the vet.  So, I substituted whole kernel corn (frozen, organic) for the brown rice.  No physical problems that I can tell.  I didn't really enjoy the corn as much as I would have liked a sweet potato...again, the issue of pushing more nutritious food off the plate.  No food cravings, no early-hunger pangs, no heaviness, no bloating or other gastrointestinal issues.

If I continue to feel good over the next two days I will call this reintro a success.  Not sure how/when/if I will reintegrate these options into my overall diet, however it is good to know that occasional consumption won't make me cry like dairy does ;) !

Today's Food Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs, steamed broccoli, 1/2 avocado

M2:  chicken breast, more broccoli, pear, walnuts (finally got round to soaking them)

M3:*  Grilled salmon, asparagus, sweet potato (not sure about fat yet...maybe a salad w/ O&V)

*M3 will be my first meal eaten in the past 35 days that I have not prepared myself.  My sons wish to have a celebratory dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  I will do the best I can!

rhonda

M3 yesterday ended up being 11 oz ribeye steak (wood fire grilled, no spices or added fat), plain sweet potato (no skin as I am unsure if they rub oil on them), plain steamed green beans.  No fat source other than I chose the ribeye over the sirloin because it is a fattier cut of meat.  This was not grassfed beef.  It was nice to have dinner out and still stay essentially compliant.  

Today's Food Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs, cauli/broccoli/carrot medley, 1/2 avocado

M2:  apple chicken sausage, more medley, apple with sunbutter

M3:  haven't a clue

I work 5:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. on weekends (instead of 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. weekdays)--this throws things off a bit (especially sleep).  

Tomorrow is legume reintro.  I am going to continue to avoid soy and peanuts for awhile.  Soy because I just don't want to go there and peanuts because they give me incredible heartburn and they sometimes cause wheezing.  I do love how they taste.  So I think it will be homemade hummus, lima beans, and either black or kidney beans.

Still no signs of non-gluten grain issues from Friday.  

rhonda

Skipping the legume reintro for today--not prepared.  Busy weekend at work.

Food Plan

M1:  2 fried eggs, spinach & onions

M2:  stir fry chicken breast (hastily prepared while fixing M1), sweet potato, 1/2 avocado, small salad 

M3:  pork chop, zucchini, carrots, fried apples

Gotta dash!  Have a great day everyone!

rhonda

Continuing right along...

It is strange for me, as an obese person, to have days where I feel lighter.  Yesterday was one of those days.  I stepped on the scales this morning to check my progress, one week post W30.  I was down another pound, for a total of 19.5 gone.  I was stuck for YEARS, unable to lose weight.  I find it amazing how things have turned around, especially since I am rarely hungry except when appropriate (i.e., 1/2 hour or so before meal time).  I do have to be mindful of my goals when temptations are around.  The only hard fast rule I have regarding "treats" is that I do not eat between meals at all (since I haven't started an exercise program, this isn't an issue).  This makes it easier in that once I eat my compliant meal, the treats at work are either gone or I am not hungry.  So far, I still have not had any added sugar or chemical laden processed foods.  

Today is legume reintro day!  

Food Plan

M1:  2 eggs, homemade hummus with raw carrot and celery scoopers, 1/2 red grapefruit

M2:  lg. mixed green salad topped with chicken breast chunks, black beans, olives,assorted chopped vegetables, O&V

M3:  chili (my regular compliant recipe) with red kidney beans tossed in, slaw

Skipping soy and peanut reintro.  Also delaying gluten reintro for awhile...not emotionally ready to tackle the call of cornbread, bagels, etc.  Need to stay in my safe place for a bit longer :)

rhonda

Legume reintro went well yesterday.  So far, no bloating, gas, gastrointestinal issues.  Compliant meals for 2 more days and then ???  My tentative plan moving forward is to eat a whole food diet, following the W30 template with the exception of adding some whole grains and legumes here and there.  Dairy is out, gluten, peanuts and soy are out  (by choice so far...no planned reintro at this point for these foods).  Still no joint pain.  Mood is good, energy levels moderate/high.

Today's Food Plan

M1:  zucchini & onions, 2 eggs, fruit (can't decide between orange or apple this morning)

M2:  hamburger patty, mixed green salad with assorted chopped vegetables, O&V, avocado

M3:  pork roast, sweet potato, slaw, pineapple

rhonda

Yesterday's M3 ended up being pan-fried pork chop, roasted golden beets w/ garlic, fried potatoes w/ onion, steamed broccoli.

The white potatoes were okay but not as tasty as I remembered.  I ate about  1/3 cup and did not desire any more.  I think I like the richer taste of sweet potato (especially with a tablespoon of sunflower seed butter on top!).

Still feeling great!  Very busy at work this week as we are short on staff due to the holidays.  I spend 7 out of 8 hours every day on my feet bustling around a laboratory.  It has been turbo speed all week!  With the added energy expenditure, the food is still keeping me satisfied from meal to meal.  I couldn't be more pleased about this!

Today's Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs,  1/2 avocado, zucchini, peppers and onions

M2:  pork chop, last of the roasted golden beets, green salad w/ olives, O&V, 

M3:  taco salad (romaine, hamburger w/ taco seasonings, chopped tomatoes & onions), 1/2 avocado, pineapple

This is the second day post-legume reintro.  Still no problems.  Today is the last day of the reintro phase of my journey as I choose not to reintro soy or gluten anytime soon.  I will begin the reintegration phase tomorrow.

rhonda

Reintros are over.  What's in (if I choose):  whole non-gluten grains, legumes, white potatoes.  What's out:  gluten grains, dairy, soy.  What I'm not going to freak over:  sugar cured bacon and ham...I want to add both these protein sources back into my diet and cannot find/afford the 100% compliant options.  There are some nice organic choices that are sugar cured.

Today's Food  Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs, vegetable medley, 1/2 avocado

M2:  taco meat over baked potato, celery & apple with sunbutter

M3:  broiled chicken leg/thigh, collard greens, steamed carrots, pineapple

Exercise program is on my mind.

rhonda

Ahhh...a day off:-)  After working 12 days in a row, I am so glad not to have to dash out the door this morning.  I do have a ton of errands and housework to do but I can ease my way into it.

Yesterday was treat day at work--nothing sang to me except homemade lemon cake that a friend made.  I planned on having some with my lunch even though I am avoiding gluten (still no snacking for me) but was satisfied from lunch.  I did bring a slice home (along with a ginormous frosted sugar cookie for my younger son) but ended up giving it to my older son.  I felt no compulsion to eat the treats and, better yet, did not feel deprived.  In fact, there was no "feelings" involved except pleasure this morning when I realized that I am indeed in control.  Not having cravings is a huge part of this I think.  The Whole30 program worked well in establishing a healthy eating pattern for me.  I hope this continues...

Today's Food Plan

M1:  chicken leg/thigh, roasted sweet potato, vegetable medley

M2:  deviled eggs, mixed green salad with olives, O&V, orange

M3:  pork roast, cabbage of some sort, green beans, undecided fat source..will see how much fat is in the pork

rhonda

Finished my holiday shopping yesterday.  Made decision about holiday dinners--ham for Christmas Eve, grilled T-bone steaks for Christmas; vegetable & salad sides, homemade chocolate cream pie for dessert.  Dessert will be my first taste of added sugar & gluten since I started W30 on Nov. 11.  No worries about slippery slopes here--I have two sons, 17 and 20 yo, who will make the remaining pie disappear in a flash.

Yesterday's M2 didn't go as planned due to lack of eggs.  Ended up eating a taco salad and pineapple instead.

Today's Food Plan

M1:  pork roast, roasted sweet potato topped with 1T sunflower nut butter, broccoli

M2:  salad of some sort topped with avacado/mayo dressing, protein source to be decided

M3:  meatloaf, cauliflower, green beans

Grocery today and hopefully won't have to go into another store until after the holidays.

rhonda

Kitchen restocked.  One final trip this evening to buy steaks and whipping cream and I will be done food shopping for the week.

Today's Food Plan

M1: fried zucchinni and onions, eggs

M2: pork, roasted sweet potato topped w/ 1T sunbutter, broccoli, pear

M3: roast beef, carrots, green beans, maybe a sm. serving of white potatoes cooked with the roast

rhonda

Two weeks post W30--another 3 pounds gone this week for a total of 22.5#.  I will be weighing in every Tuesday.  Also, bought a pair of jeans one size smaller this past weekend!  Meals are still satisfying with zero urge to snack.  Exercise plan beginning in the New Year.  There, I said it:-)

Today's Meal Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs, broccoli, 1/2 avocado

M2:  beef vegetable soup, green salad w/ olives, O&V, 1/2 grapefruit

M3:  turkey breast, roasted sweet potato w/ 1T sunbutter, green beans, maybe pineapple

rhonda

Merry Christmas!

Well, so much for yesterday's meal plan (my plans are actually meal "suggestions" so that I have a rough framework and to manage leftovers).  M1 as written plus an orange, M2=beef vegetable soup, banana + sm. handful of macadamia nuts, M3=sub pork for turkey breast and broccoli for green beans, scratch the pineapple.  Unable to locate a compliant turkey breast yesterday.  Oh well, thank goodness for leftovers!

Today's Meal Plan

M1:  2 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs, banana  

M2:  large leafy salad (spinach, mostly), O&V, beef/vegetable soup, piece of chocolate bar

M3:  grilled sirloin steak, green beans w/ bacon drippings, roasted sweet potato, broccoli slaw, dessert

The bacon was non-compliant as it had added sugar.  It was organic and uncured--probably the best bacon I have ever eaten in my life.  I am glad I cooked the two slices, divided the rest of the puny, expensive package into 2 slice servings and popped them in the freezer.  No vegetables for breakfast as it is Christmas and I just didn't feel like it...the rest of today's plan will cover the vegetable needs for the day.

I have chocolate plans for today!  I am making chocolate cream pie for dessert tonight.  The filling and whipped topping will be homemade--the crust is a store bought graham cracker crust that I have no interest in (still gluten free) and will eat around it.  The dairy will most likely cause issues but I am prepared/willing to deal with that.  I suspect my boys will have bought chocolate for my Christmas stocking--okay, I know they did because I saw a 80something percent dark chocolate bar peeking out.  I will eat some of that today as well as part of M2.  Although I am off roading a bit here, it is my goal to not eat between meals as this tactic has worked very well for me over the past 40-something days.

No plans to go anywhere today.  In fact, no plans to get out of my pajamas.  Reading, surfing the internet, and playing board games will be the highlights.  

Have a happy day everyone!

rhonda

That chocolate is good stuff, isn't it.  I just read through your re-intro and was so impressed and wished I'd done a proper re-intro!  You sound like you're doing well and that weight loss is so motivating.  I'm hoping to get back on track in the new year.  

Good Morning and Happy Monday!  Back to work this morning after a few days off.  Routine is good for me.  While not horrific, the past two days of eating were not stellar...not so much what I ate but what I didn't eat!  Except for the unplanned gluten reintro.  Okay, so maybe it was what I ate  :wacko: Well, I think I now know that my instincts were correct--that stuff is dangerous and could easily lead me back to where I was.  Also of note:  Following the template is essential if I want to feel good..and, vegetables are my friends and I need to remember this.  (((embracing my humanity)))

Saturday's Food

M1:  pork, salad w/ O&V

M2:  salad w/ O&V, baked white potato<--no protein...here is where I started to slide

M3:  pumpkin pie, custard only; two slices pizza

Sunday's Food 

M1: two eggs, grits

M2: chocolate cream pie, hamburger patty with fried onions

M3: bean and cheese burrito<--glad I got that out of my system...not as good as I remembered

Yikes, that was painful to type out.  No wonder I feel kinda blah this morning.  Upside?  No snacking.   :rolleyes:

Today's Food Plan

M1: scrambled eggs, asparagus, 1/2 avocado

M2: apple/chicken sausage, baked sweet potato topped w/ 1T sunbutter, steamed broccoli, orange

M3:  crockpot chicken, rainbow slaw (mayo), collard greens

All the holiday food is gone--either consumed or tossed.  Excited to begin a new week.

rhonda

Yesterday went well.  Collard greens were very tasty,

Today's Food Plan

M1:  scrambled eggs, asparagus, 1/2 orange

M2:  chicken/apple sausage, broccoli, sweet potato w/ 1T sunbutter, 1/2 grapefruit

M3:  hamburger patty w/ fried onions and mushrooms, collards, rainbow slaw

Yesterday'a chicken went into the crockpot at 6 a.m.  Removed meat late afternoon.  Carcass, etc returned to crockpot, vinegar and water added. Still simmering.  Will make soup with the resulting broth.  Yum.

Need to buy walking shoes today as I will be starting to incorporate exercise into my life plan beginning Weds..  Will walk outdoors whenever possible.  There is a lovely community park with a 1.15 mile walking path not far from my home.  The park is gated and is only open from sunrise to sunset (resident caretaker).  This will be my primary option...will just plan on getting the walk in after work.  I also have some indoor walking dvds (Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds) that I used successfully years ago.  

rhonda

Archived