Olivia's first Whole30! Dec 11-Jan 10

moh4m

Hey guys! As part of my whole30 goals I am committing to writing a daily update. I start tomorrow, December 11. So 

About me: I am 23 years old, I'm a recent college graduate, I'm working full time and taking pre-requisite classes to go to nursing school. I have been on and off paleo/primal diets the past few years. I gained about 20 lbs my first two years of college (I'm 5'4, and small boned, so it definitely didn't look good) but once I figured out whole food nutrition I lost the extra weight and now weigh the same as i did in high school, about 120 lb.

I'm ok with how I look but I think I could be stronger and healthier. I have been having trouble with hormonal acne over the past year, and also feeling tired and sometimes depressed. I have been "slipping" with sugar, wheat, etc. far too often because I'm busy with work and school, and it's hard!

I feel I need to "reset" my health so I can have more energy for getting my stuff done and having some left for my boyfriend, a social life, and a yoga practice. 

How I am supporting my Whole30:

1. My go-to meals are: 1. scrambled eggs with baked sweet potatoes. 2. Sausage and vegetable soup. 3. Coconut milk curry with broccoli, carrots, and pre-cooked chicken breast.

2. I purchased the daily subscription. I don't want to waste the $15 so that will help keep me on track.

3. I have a trader joe's nearby. It's easy to run in and get some salad greens, fruit, nuts, frozen meat, etc. 

4. My other goals are: practice yoga daily, and do at least 10 minutes of meditation daily

I'm not too worried about Christmas...the meat and vegetables are my favorite parts anyway. I'll be helping my mom cook so I'll make sure there are a few dishes that I can eat. 

I had some indian food and milk chocolate today. I know you're not supposed to do that right before you start the program but oh well. Tomorrow!!

Day 1: success!

mostly. 

Kind of a weird day, I accidentally slept until 1:30pm, luckily i didn't work today but I had to study for an exam in the evening. So I was super busy and skipped breakfast obviously.

Lunch: two boiled eggs, coffee, and a tangerine (wasn't hungry enough to cook up vegetables...i know!)

Dinner: Fresh pork sausage and onion, fried, mashed sweet potato from Trader Joe's, and a huge bowl of garlicky kale (inspired by whole foods salad bar: raw kale, lemon juice, olive oil, 2 tb nutritional yeast, 3 mashed garlic cloves. Delicious!!)

Some coffee after dinner so i can get some more work done. Feeling good though!

Good luck to you, Olivia! I'm a couple of days ahead of you, it's day 4 for me today. That kale dish sounds amazing - I'll have to try it. This week for breakfast I've been eating a frittata - sweet potatoes, onions, spinach, trader joe's spicy italian chicken sausage (really not that spicy) and eggs. I cooked all the veggies first, chopped up 2 sausage links, whipped up the 4 eggs and incorporated everything and cooked it all for about 25 minutes on 375. 

Hey Carmen! That frittata sounds lovely -- i didn't know TJ's had a sausage that i could eat! I'll have to check it out :)

Day 2

Breakfast/lunch (slept in again haha): A big salad (spinach, carrots, cucumbers, snap peas, sprouts, almonds) with a few boiled eggs, olive oil and vinegar.

Snack: tin of wild sardines in olive oil + 12 oz of ginger kombucha

Dinner: 4 scrambled eggs, kale salad, sweet potatoes with olive oil

I couldn't bring myself to eat too much today, as my stomach was feeling really "off." From reading the site I guess that's normal for day 2. Drank a little too much coffee as well ... :/  

I had a moment of weakness at class tonight, when I knew I'd have to wait at least an hour before I could eat dinner at home...the cafe pastries looked so good... but I persevered :)

Day 3 already!

Breakfast: I couldn't stomach much protein this morning...had a banana with a generous spoonful of almond butter. Then some fresh salad and fruit later at work (I work in a restaurant. Salad is the only food I can eat, sadly)

Lunch: 4 eggs, steamed broccoli, sweet potatoes, and hot sauce (a lacto-fermented hot sauce I just bought, it's really delicious. Otherwise this meal would have been so boring)

I was still hungry, so for "dessert" I had another banana with almond butter.

Dinner: am cooking some grass-fed ground beef with green beans and peppers in coconut cream from Trader Joe's, to make a thai style curry. We'll see how it turns out :)

I have felt cheery today, but I've felt like I had allergies all day with dry eyes and stuffiness. Also I got a few pimples and my stomach still doesn't feel great. lol. The newsletter I got was reassuring, the picture of the little kid with his hair all rumpled? That's literally exactly how I was feeling when I read it. I'm happy I spent the money and subscribed to that, it's really helping keep me motivated!

Instead of what you had for breakfast, could you try a mini meal of at least some protein, veg and fat? Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

Re: your lunch, I wonder if it was low in fat, which may be why you were still hungry? (Could also be related to how little you ate before lunch.)

Dinner sounds good:be sure to have at least 2 cups of veggies.

Hi Chris, thanks. I had prepared some boiled eggs the night before, I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. The almond butter helped with a bit of protein and fat. I'm trying to add extra olive or coconut oil to my meals as well.

Today:

Breakfast and lunch were both scrambled eggs in olive oil. Also a banana and some steamed kale, and a cup of black coffee.

Dinner: My boyfriend was making spaghetti with tomato and beef sauce, so I had the sauce over a microwaved sweet potato, and some extra olive oil on top. It was very filling.

Picked up a few things at TJ's -- frozen leeks, kale, and chicken thighs. 

I'm feeling good today, lots of energy! For the first time since I started I had enough energy to do a good workout. I do Zuzana Light's workouts on her website, in addition to my yoga practice. She is the best :) I paid for a subscription to her "gym" this month, so I'm trying to keep up a little bit every day so I don't waste the money. I did a short meditation when I got up this morning but haven't been able to get to my yoga yet today...

Only thing that's bothering me now is that I have a bunch of pimples that have shown up or gotten worse in the past few days. After looking around the forum it seems that some people have problems with nuts...I did have a bunch of almond butter yesterday...maybe i'll try cutting out nuts. I don't really need them anyway. Also some people say coffee triggers acne but i don't know about that. I'll try the nuts first, then cut coffee if my skin doesn't clear up in a few days.

Day 5 done!

Breakfast = scrambled eggs, a sweet potato, spicy sauce.

For both lunch and dinner I had a curry I made: chicken thighs, a can of coconut milk, plus broccoli, carrots, and squash with spices. 

I put lots of extra coconut oil in my curry as well. This made it very very filling but I tried to eat up so I wouldn't get hungry later on. Even so, I stayed up late studying and got hungry again so I had a sweet potato with a tb of olive oil.

Had a good workout this afternoon, and went to work in the evening for 5 hours. I had a cup of coffee but even so, I had more energy than usual. Now i'm home studying and still feeling good!

day 6! this is going by quickly!!

Breakfast: I was out of groceries. I ate my last egg scrambled in lots of olive oil, plus some frozen leeks, sauteed as well. Then I headed straight to the grocery store for my last trip before i leave for christmas break with my family (can you believe it's in 9 days??)

Lunch = my spaghetti-sauce-over-sweet-potato thing. I got a delicious puttanesca from trader joes (loving that store since I started whole 30!!), combined it with lean ground beef and 1 cup of chopped kale, and poured it over the microwaved sweet potato and a bed of arugula and 1/2 avocado. Some kiwi slices on the side.

Dinner: (I had the same thing pretty much, haha. Once i find a favorite meal i stick with it...until i get tired of it.  I'm ok with being boring for now.) A sweet potato, puttanesca sauce with chardonnay-apple chicken sausage (yes, it's compliant), arugula with olive oil dressing.

And for my studying, I'm mixing up some coconut cream + hot water + cocoa and a splash of coffee. Kind of a paleo mocha. (I don't really consider this paleo-fying desserts, because i don't eat that kind of thing normally, so it's not like i was craving it...just looking for ways to use this coconut cream and get in some extra fat so i don't get hungry tonight)

Feeling even better than yesterday, except for a stubborn little headache. Perhaps from all my exam studying, or perhaps it's a low-carb reaction. Except I'm eating a lot of sweet potatoes and vegetables, so it's not particularly low carb? I try to avoid NSAIDs but I took some ibuprofen after a few hours after trying coffee, water, exercise. Oh well.

I did a bit of yoga but my body was feeling like it needed a rest from vigorous exercise so I kept it gentle. 

I was sorely tempted by this plate of christmas cookies my neighbor brought over. They've been sitting on the counter all day. But it's more like I'm tempted by the idea of them...when i look at them individually it just looks like a lump of dough, not that great.

My newsletter said that most whole30ers get an energy kick on day 7-11. We'll see what happens!

Hey Stenna. I'm happy someone is reading them haha :) I think for me the newsletter has definitely been worth it, it has great content and it's nice to get reminders based on what others experience at your stage in the process. Though I wish it was a bit cheaper. On the other hand, there's a kind of accountability in having it be almost $20 that you "waste" if you choose to cheat...

Well... i have some unfortunate news. Last night my boyfriend and I were driving to visit his grandma, and we hit a deer on the highway, and almost got into a serious accident with some other cars that also hit it. We had to pull off for a while to rest and make sure the car was ok, and by the time we got into the city it was late and nothing was open for dinner. We were both really shaken up and also hungry. So I had a dinner of bar-food pizza and wine. Honestly I don't see what I could have done differently, except to pack "emergency" food, which i just didn't think of. I know i can't make excuses... but i was so emotionally rattled by the close call that i didn't have the energy to go find real food. And i needed a drink, haha. So that happened... I guess I will just start over at day 1 and try again! 8 full days is still better than nothing!

Well... i have some unfortunate news. Last night my boyfriend and I were driving to visit his grandma, and we hit a deer on the highway, and almost got into a serious accident with some other cars that also hit it. We had to pull off for a while to rest and make sure the car was ok, and by the time we got into the city it was late and nothing was open for dinner. We were both really shaken up and also hungry. So I had a dinner of bar-food pizza and wine. Honestly I don't see what I could have done differently, except to pack "emergency" food, which i just didn't think of. I know i can't make excuses... but i was so emotionally rattled by the close call that i didn't have the energy to go find real food. And i needed a drink, haha. So that happened... I guess I will just start over at day 1 and try again! 8 full days is still better than nothing!

How scary! The important thing is that you both are ok.

If you ended up at a bar again, I wonder if you could have a bunless burger with a side salad and sparkling water?

Best of luck with your restart.

Archived