Just finished up my first Whole30 and need some help!

pdeets22

Hi all, I have just finished up my first Whole30.  I felt really great throughout the month and didn't really experience any of the symptoms that the timeline suggested….I always felt like I was doing something wrong since I didn't!  I was very strict and did not sway off the plan whatsoever.  I just weighed myself and took my measurements and to say I am disappointed is an understatement.  I gained a pound AND almost all of my measurements were up 1/2 - 1 inch!  I have about 20 pounds to lose so this is very discouraging.  I knew it wasn't going to be good since my clothes didn't feel any different.   I am also very active.  I teach Spin 4 days a week.  I was doing Barre classes at the beginning of this on my off days from Spin and then the past 2 weeks I have switched to Crossfit.  I would try to do some running too.  I always had my Post-Workout Meal of either chicken or egg whites, sometimes with sweet potato, if I had them available.  

Prior to this, I have been working with a dietician for about a year now because nothing seems to be working.  I have always been pretty healthy, I thought that this Whole30 would kind of give me the push to get healthier.  This is just kind of devastating and don't know where to go from here…Did I do something wrong??

Here is an example of a typical day for me:

Breakfast:

Kale, onion sautéed with ghee and 2 eggs, over a little bit of sweet potato

Coconut Flakes with some macadamia nuts and half a banana

Lunch:

Ground turkey, olive oil, zucchini squash, onion, peppers, broccoli with turmeric and garlic.

1/2 avocado

Carrots

Pre-Workout:

1 egg, sometimes with some cashews

Post-Workout:

Chicken or egg whites, sometimes sweet potato

Dinner:

Roasted brussel sprouts and broccoli with olive oil

Chicken/Beef/Salmon with sautéed zucchini squash, onions, mushrooms or whatever veggies I have in coconut oil

Olives

Apple

Sorry for the length of this…any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

I would be very upset too! How disappointing. You really are quite active. It's hard to believe you could have 20lbs to lose! I'm sorry I don't have advice but just to know I understand your frustration. it didn't "work" for me either for weight loss either.

You say you feel great, so I'm guessing you got some positive outcomes not related to weight?

What stands out for me is that you've been working on diet for a year. It makes me wonder whether food is your challenge with weight loss. Perhaps there is something happening in your body that is causing you to hold onto this weight?

Maybe consider consulting with a functional medicine practitioner?

• Moderators

You might be healthier than you were 30 days ago. Weight is only part of the health equation.

Your meals look fine with the exception of breakfast. Breakfast would be better if you dropped the coconut, nuts, and banana and added another egg, maybe two. 

The key to weight loss is not always what you are eating.

Exercising too much can make your body hold onto fat. Honest. The stress from working hard most days of the week can set your hormonal rhythms to hold tightly to fat stores. Sometimes, you benefit from taking it easier and adding rest days. 

Overall stress and the quality and quantity of your sleep can be critical to weight. I did not start losing weight until I started sleeping 8 hours per night. I spent years sleeping 5-6 hours nightly and nothing made me lose weight then. 

I got healthier, but gained weight on my whole30's for about a year (16lbs all up). Then I cut out coffee, got more than 8 hours sleep consistently and added in two exercise rest days a week and lost 6 pounds effortlessly on my last one and still losing slowly but steadily without the diet mentality. I felt like giving up many times but am so glad I stuck it out. When I do get to where I want to be I won't have to constantly diet to stay there, and will enjoy my health much more!

Keep going if you can!

P.S. ditch the coconut flakes and nuts, they don't help.

Thank you all for your ideas.  My sleep has been out of whack for about a year…I am getting panic attacks at night and it isn't allowing  me to sleep.  It is awful!  I am trying to work on that and was hoping this Whole 30 would help with it but it hasn't yet.  I

am definitely going to stick with this.  The biggest benefit so far has been that I don't snack anymore.  This is huge for me!  I was a constant snacker, whether or not I was hungry so now I realize I was never that hungry and was just eating to eat.

I ditched the coconut and nuts this morning and added an egg to my breakfast.  I am also going to incorporate more rest days for my body to see if that helps.

Thanks again!  

Archived