January Pre-Gaming

Schapiro

Hey folks, happy December!

I'm going to pre-game for a January Whole30, essentially what I'd like to do is start taking a few small steps that may help jump-start the Whole30, and I'm looking for advice, suggestions, tips, personal stories, anything you're willing to throw my way that I can let sink in over the next few weeks and prepare me to tackle this, specifically relating to one big scary thing...

sugar. dragon.

I don't have a sugar dragon, what I have is more like a sugar megazombiedragontronextreme v 10.0 with massive wings that swallow the sun and the ability to move through walls and seven great giant glowing green headlamp eyes that follow my every move.

It's bad.

I never used to be this way! I took a trip overseas only a few weeks ago, let myself splurge guilt-free on whatever, landed back home the day before Thanksgiving, and BOOM. This thing has grown like a fire in a dry field ever since then and I am wont to admit that I'm seriously at its mercy.

I'm nearly at a loss for what to do. Every night I go to bed and tell myself that I'm going to wake up in the morning and it's going to be a nonissue, yet every single day I succumb to it - and it's not just like one little thing, it's blatant mindless grazing on rubbish (right now; mini reesee's cups that are in bowls in every corner of the house). I live with my family, two of whom have massive sweet teeth. I've tried my best, I've begged, pleaded, offered money, to convince them to hide the sweets from me (they buy them and put them in bowls to share around the house)- but they don't do it! I haven't a clue why. One laughs and tells me I'm being ridiculous and that if I don't want to eat these things, "simply don't do it." Hmpf. And the sad part, the part that really really really bothers me, is the fact that they shouldn't have to hide their things from me. 

One piping-hot guiltuccino, coming right up.

And it's usually not even just sweets, but specific ones - megazombiedragontronextreme v 10.0 LOVES chocolate anything, nut butters made with sugar, and biscuits, but loathes candies and other sugary things (with the exception of peppermints).

So alas, I recognize that I have a problem. And I loathe it. And I am terrified of it. And I'm ready to nip it in the bud. 

I don't want to be unhealthy; and I'm not, my weight is where it should be, bloodwork has always come back good, and I'm active. Aside from the aforementioned weaknesses, I eat really well. Pastured animals, wild game, organ meats, plenty of fish, I don't think there's a vegetable or leafy green I won't eat, greek yoghurt, fruits (primarily berries and bananas), a wide spectrum of spices and herbs. No grains (90% of the time - I love porridge and will eat it sans-guilt once or twice a month, always on a Saturday morning), everything is cooked in coconut oil or olive oil, avocados, nuts (though those are iffy - food sans breaks, often), desiccated coconut, and coconut milk. I'm fairly lax about when premade items contain sweeteners such as maple or honey, and I usually am more worried about what oils and other rubbish they contain, for now.

For now.

Although it's only been this way for a few weeks, I'm afraid of letting this thing continue because I know what consequences potentially lie ahead if I keep it up and, god forbid, let it get worse. I don't want to think about it anymore, I just want to cop on but it's already a daily struggle.

So, folks, how did you slay your sugar dragon? I know there are loads of advice articles, blog posts, etcetera out there. I've read the book twice. But I want to hear your personal experiences, strategies, anything. I know planning ahead is a big thing, but I have to admit - I'm absolute shite at meal planning, especially given that I live at home and generally work around what others are cooking or else we end up with more food than we can deal with and an awful lot of waste (and they are so not willing to work with me on a weekly meal plan. No way. Decisions are only made as far in advance as the night before. I'll keep trying to convince them but...) That's not to say I won't try planning, I certainly will; I know well that planning ahead is one of the best ways to avoid problems.

Thanks in advance for any input. It is sincerely sincerely appreciated.

I know for me, all fruit and nuts--especially macadamia nuts--were banished off the island, and for the most part, other than a few handfuls of blue berries or the occasional scattering of red grapes in a chicken salad, no fruit, nope, no sir. Not an apple, not a banana or even a date. THAT really helped, AND eating plenty of protein. Carb rich veg--sweet potatoes, carrots, roasted parsnips, winter squash--that helps me if I need something on the sweet side. 

With meals--can you make the meals? At least dinner? make some whole 30 friendly meals with sides they would prefer? like rice or pasta that you could just leave off your plate? I suggest making up a few batches of meat balls that you could grab in the morning and they would be defrosted by lunch. Make them up, bake them, and pop them in the freezer for quick meals. Could you do salads/curries or the like on nights when they just won't work with the plan? Or just make a plate of scrambled eggs with veg? I do original joes quite often--left over ground meat (or meat patty), sauteed with spinach, mushrooms, a green onion chopped up or 2 scrambled up with as many eggs as you can hold in your hand--and then maybe have some avocado or tomato or even a side salad with it?

hmmmm.  

Schapiro, I think I have your sugar-demon twin!  I'm not sure mine will ever go away, as I have a food blog and I sell homemade baked goods/candy, which means I have to taste-test. I will be starting my Whole 30 in mid-January, and my goal is to get my sugar demon under control. To be satisfied with a taste-testing bite, or savor a small piece of dark chocolate...not go nuts with a full slice of cake plus homemade ice cream! 

I typed up a long response, but after re-reading it and re-reading your post, I will say 3 things (unrelated to doing a Whole 30):

1. Some people find that increasing fats and protein help them control sugar cravings. 

2. A lot of people will tell you to just stop eating sweets- the cravings will go away. While this may work for some, it doesn't work for everyone. If you allow yourself to eat it, make the promise that it will be a special treat (a piece of dark chocolate, a homemade nut butter cup, a gourmet truffle, etc. A candy bar that you can pick up at any store or gas station shouldn't count as special).

3. Do the best you can. Stressing out about it will just make you want it more, and then come the feelings of guilt. Bah. You ate a piece of candy, get over it and try to make a wiser decision next time!

It's hard, like reallyreallyhard. I wish I could say otherwise. I've been at this all year, and I have murderized that stupid dragon many times. But he keeps coming back. Of course, it's because I let him. I talk myself into having a treat, because I've been so good, I deserve it, I'll just have the one thing and then I'm done. Lies, all lies. Once I have a bite, it's all over. I certainly sympathize with your home situation, and I'm so grateful I haven't had to try and live with that type of temptation. When you quit sugar cold-turkey, it can take several weeks for all the cravings to go away (and they do, eventually...that's the good news). I just don't think I'd be able to do it with bowls of chocolate whispering to me everywhere I turn.  :wacko: For your "pre-gaming" you could try substituting some small servings of fruit when you are absolutely dying for sweets. I find this helps me without turning to the truly bad stuff, and I also have an easier time giving up fruit after a few weeks than I do just quitting real sugar. I would just recommend that you do not buy dried fruit - WAY too easy to overeat that. I also like frozen fruit because it forces me to slow down a little, and maybe eat a smaller serving. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know for me, all fruit and nuts--especially macadamia nuts--were banished off the island, and for the most part, other than a few handfuls of blue berries or the occasional scattering of red grapes in a chicken salad, no fruit, nope, no sir.

Nuts and dried fruit are going to have to be banished for me too - wayyyyyy too easy to overeat and I certainly abuse them in sugar craving moments. Raw fruit is very rarely an issue for me, sugar-dragon-wise I.e. It doesn't trigger overeating and I don't mindlessly reach for it and munch away. That said, however, I know I probably eat more of it than I ought to, simply because it must be the most convenient food ever. Wake up late with no time for breakfast? Solution; banana and coconut. Need a lunch on the go that doesn't need heating or cooling and doesn't take up space? An apple or pear and some cashews! It's just like a default mode of mine.

With meals--can you make the meals? At least dinner? make some whole 30 friendly meals with sides they would prefer? like rice or pasta that you could just leave off your plate?

Absolutely I can. Honestly the bigger issue in regards to this is that I hate seeing food go to waste, or feeling like there is too much (which is what happens whenever I try to go strict paleo or stray from the usual household eating pattern). But at this point, I'd rather suck it up and deal with it (and hope that perhaps they will maybe jump on board a little), than continue to put off doing this for such a silly reason.

I typed up a long response, but after re-reading it and re-reading your post, I will say 3 things (unrelated to doing a Whole 30):

1. Some people find that increasing fats and protein help them control sugar cravings. 

2. A lot of people will tell you to just stop eating sweets- the cravings will go away. While this may work for some, it doesn't work for everyone. If you allow yourself to eat it, make the promise that it will be a special treat (a piece of dark chocolate, a homemade nut butter cup, a gourmet truffle, etc. A candy bar that you can pick up at any store or gas station shouldn't count as special).

3. Do the best you can. Stressing out about it will just make you want it more, and then come the feelings of guilt. Bah. You ate a piece of candy, get over it and try to make a wiser decision next time!

Brilliant. I know that not everyone is alike, and being hard on myself / stressing out is one of my biggest problems, and you're right - it makes it much worse than it is.

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I'm excited to dive into this but also nervous. I can't wait to slay the dragon, but I'm just scared of the unknown I suppose. I do love a challenge though, so bring on January!

And I'm looking for the the holidays ending, only so the biggest brunt of the temptations with subside. Tomorrow is baking marathon day with my 98 year old grandmother! It's our tradition, just me and her, Christmas Eve cookie baking for the 26th year in a row, and I'm going to enjoy the daylights out of it and all of its tea and music and laughter and even biscuits, without guilt.

One realllllly exciting thing - I'm getting a spiralizer for Christmas and holy Toledo I cannot wait to cook with it.

Archived