January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Greetings -

I am starting a second Whole 30 on January 6.  I successfully completed my first October 21 - November 19.

I am getting a bit of holiday off-roading out of my system and am looking forward to locking things down after the New Year.

Anyone else getting started Monday January 6?

Best,

Robert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Robert and Greek

I have been "lurking" on these forums for the past couple of months and have signed on to the Jan 6 start of Whole 30.  My husband and I are "Primal" so my struggle will be with the dairy (cream in my coffee and the occasional pieces of cheese).  I also bake paleo treats and will be stopping that very shortly...

I am battling my last 20 pounds (I've lost approximately 60 pounds over the last 3 years ~ the majority was taken off in the first 2 years.)....I feel AMAZING with the primal eating and I do consistently exercise.  Just need to fine tune things a bit.

Have to say that after reading about your success in October/November is what moved me to make this commitment.  I look forward to our New Year's journey :)

My best

C

Hi Robert, Greek and Chess,

Yes, I'm in for the 6th!

I successfully completed a Whole 30 in September/October. I felt great, but have been off-roading it pretty bad this month. Time to get back into good routines! This time I am hoping to have my husband join me in the journey.

Let's use these next two weeks to gear up for success. Maybe I will get Well Fed 2 for Christmas...

Susan

Greetings C and welcome aboard!  I hear what you are saying about milk and cheese!  Replacing milk and cheese with water and tons of veggies was initially challenging for me but the pay off occurred in short order.  Congrats on your three year epic journey.  W30 may be the perfect turbo charge you need to keep moving forward.  January 6!!

Robert

I would say you are right!  Am slowing weaning myself off dairy this month ~ trying coconut milk in my coffee and I like it :)  If  I am really honest, I do believe my very biggest challenge will be the maple syrup / honey (sugars used for paleo baking treats) will be my "demon'. It is sugar after all and what I crave and give into ~ especially after dinner when I am NOT EVEN HUNGRY  grrrrrr

Am also going to start compiling Whole 30 recipes (especially for the crockpot) now.

Your Whole 30 story ~ has truly inspired me!  I do need to find the larabars!! 

Stay warm ~ we are having artic cold weather here in Upstate NY today!

Best

Cheryl

Hello Susan!!

My husband is going to do Mark Sisson's 21 Day Primal Challenge in January (he wont give up his cheese and yogurt).  He really has come on board with me for the past couple of years ~ even though he does not have ANY weight to lose....he does feel much better from the clean eating and is a wonderful cook!!  He has adapted very well ~ which says a lot because he loves his bread and pasta.  We have not had it in the house in a long time.

Cheryl

Hello Rob!

I'm looking forward to doing my first Whole 30 beginning January 6th.  I've started looking up meal ideas so I'm prepared.  My biggest challenge will be losing the almond milk in my coffee and scrumptious desserts!  I've been to two cookie exchanges this week. At this point, I'm 'cookied' out!

Looking forward to working together!

Welcome aboard Sunny!  Yay another member for Team January 6!

Yes, tis the season for cookie exchanges!  If you are 'cookied' out, I will give you my address and you can send them to me.

Almond milk -- no worries -- you have three options:

1.  Make your own.  Seems like a bit of work to me: http://foodloveswriting.com/2013/05/03/how-to-make-homemade-almond-milk/

2.  If you want to get really crazy, gasp, use a splash of coconut milk.

3.  If you want to get really really crazy, gasp gasp, put nothing in your coffee.   :blink:  

19 more days!

Best,

Robert

Unfortunately, I am not "cookied out" yet... I will have some serious sugar detoxing to do.

And I'm a teacher, so I know on Friday I will be receiving quite a bit of chocolate as gifts. Lord, save me from myself!

On the positive side, my actual meals have been fairly paleo. And, the husband said he would definitely start on the 6th with us.

I think I will encourage him to sign up for the daily emails; I found them very helpful the first time around.

Thanks for starting this thread,

Susan

Hi Susan! 

So glad you are joining us!!  My husband is joining in as well and that will be very helpful ...I did sign up for the emails and am hoping with those and these forums, we will power through!

Try  the coconut milk in your coffee ~ I'm liking it (but I love all things coconut!!)

I am cooking for a crowd of 14 for Christmas Eve and have just a small group of 4 for Christmas Dinner....Am actually making 2 "meals" for the Eve dinner...One that is our traditional pastas, meatballs(lots of non-compliant foods) etc and a Paleo/primal dinner of Turkey, greens and lots of wonderful veggies and fruits...setting it up buffet style this year.  :)   Chrismas day will be a "primal dinner" of ham, veggies, squash. 

Trying to ease my way to the 6th !!

I have had 2 tough days with the chocolate that has been in the house ~ which is unusual to have in the house and only here because of the holidays- and it is now hidden somewhere in the freezer....probably should just get it out of here.

So glad our group is growing.

Best

Cheryl

Hi ever growing group!  Yeah!!!  Robert, you can't know how ready and excited I am for this next round. 
For the first time since our last round I introduced pasta and bread this week. BAD........................  Honestly, I think I gained 15 pounds of water weight overnight!  After eating half the dish of my pasta, I tossed it in the garbage disposal.  BIG MISTAKE.  Apparently, even garbage disposals suffer from bloating from pasta.  It swelled up overnight resulting in a plumber visit today.  Sigh...Oh January 6th, I'm so looking forward to you.

Thanks for starting the ball!!!

Hi All,

I will be starting with all of you on 1/6 as well. I have attempted W30 numerous times and at about day 10 I seem to succumb to the dairy dragon! Cheese (as well as wine!) is my weakness.

I can't wait to start and look forward to being part of this group.

Anne

Hi everyone, I plan on starting a bit earlier, on dec 27th. But I'd still love to join "Team Jan 6th" for support and accountability. I am already paleo since July but off-roading with chocolate WAY too much. I want to stop that and be more concious of my snacking in general. I eat healthy, but mindlessly.

I am thinking about doing the emails, but I am not sure if it is worth the cost when I am pretty close to W30 already? What do you guys think?

Welcome Jennor!  Yes please join in Team J6 and lead the way!

Re the emails, my 2 cents.  I found them helpful on round 1.  But if you are pretty close to W30 already, you may not find them as helpful as I did. Tips, recipes, encouragement etc.  No secrets, just a pat on the back and some guidance along the way.  Hope this helps. 

Hey Jennor

Welcome. Thinking about trying to make Almond milk myself.....

Am doing the emails for this first time around even though our house is already pretty Primal....I think I'll need the daily encouragement :) We are starting on the 26th of December but needing the group T6 for encouragement and support!!

Best

C

Think you for the warm velcomes! I have no idea why my picture is sideways, i promise I'll try to figure out how to rotade it, it makes me dizzy just looking at it.

I am curious about the Jan 6th start date too. Is it because the holidays are out of the way?

As for me, I choose Dec 27th because I want to off-road for Christmas, but I can be compliant on NYE quite easily (small kids, celebrating at home with friends, never used to drink much anyway). I also want to finish my W30 before Jan 27th, when I am going away on vacation. Not that I am planning to go crazy on vacation, but I'll want to have the option to off-road a bit then. :)

Hi All!

I will be attempting to start my first ever Whole30 by the 6th of January 2014 too!  I will be having a non compliant Christmas day.  I don't have any other solid plans for the rest of the "holiday season" so I will attempt to start on the 26th of December, but I have a few workmates joining me in this challenge, and the 6th is when we are all back at work.  Haven't signed up to the emails, but I have a copy of It starts with food and Well Fed 2 just arrived in time for Christmas, so I think I will be ok.

Archived