January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

... while I was planning on returning to the gym this month, I wasn't planning on embarking on a really intensive regimen.  Figured I'd have enough on my plate (ha!) with this and really trying to work on my persistent insomnia.  So my question is:  did any of you track your body fat percentage?  Did it change much through diet alone?

I did not track BF%.  My 4 year old son is my human BF% calculator.  "Dada, you're not chubby" is good.  "Dada you're getting chubby" is bad.  But I tracked pretty much everything else before and after. Everything went down significantly (other than HDL good cholesterol which went up signficantly).  I exercise 4-5 days a week.  However, this is probably not the day / week to make radical exercise changes.  I can share that during my first W30, starting around day 5 - 6, I was wiped out (as in laying on the ground with my eyes closed while my kids jumped on my stomach) ... doing nothing.  That passed and by day 7 or 8, the turbocharger started kicking in.  But I suggest that everyone do something - get moving at whatever level suits you.  Walk, jog, run, row, ski, bowl, paddle, go the gym, take the stairs, yoga, lift stuff, move.  But don't plan on tackling any superhuman feats of strength for the next week or so. We do indeed have enough on our plate.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

My husband and I are starting today as well! Just had a cup of black coffee, a hard boiled egg and a grapefruit for breakfast. Black coffee ain't that bad! Having a big salad for lunch and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce for dinner- but reading all these posts I realize I might need to add some animal fat today.

Anyways, I'm excited an nervous as well. Like a lot of you, I'm scared to give up beer, wine and cheese. Overall, I consider myself pretty healthy- workout regularly, watch my cal intake, but the lat few months have been awful- starting before thanksgiving. I'm stressed with my new job, and have just completely looked to food and drinks for relief and comfort. My hubby and I will have had a hard week and will really enjoy a few beers and a pizza on a Friday night. Problem is- at the time it feels good right? But when you look at the big picture it doesn't. Anyways- trying to keep the big pic in mind. Looking forward to all the support an offering what I can in return!

Sarah Wood Holland

Make sure your meals are fitting the template. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You should be having at minimum a palm sized portion of protein (for eggs this is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand), 1-3 cups of vegetables, 1-2 servings of added fat at all three meals.

Don't be scared about giving up the things on the no list. Be excited to try all the amazing foods on the yes list. Enjoy the journey and learning about your body and new foods.

Day 1 for me and I am so excited that I found this thread. I am a newbie to W30 and really excited to go through all the healthy changes that are coming my way. I feel like I have lots of W30 foods prepared, but I am not doing great with making big enough meals. I am more of a grazer. I though I would be okay today with all my good foods, but I find that I am starving. So tonight's goal is to sit down and plan out more complete meals using the template.

Good luck everyone :)

RandiDM & Lara -- I am right there with you on the sugar demons...in fact, I am pretty sure I am suffering through a rather mean little bastard of a sugar withdrawal headache right now. That's what I get for spending the entire month of December consuming treat after treat...that and the 6 pounds I gained back. Honestly, I think this 2nd round of Whole 30 will be harder than the first b/c the first time around I hadn't indulged quite so much prior to starting. <sigh> Taking my lumps.

Bunkybean...I took stats, but I also continued to work out (3-4x/wk) during my Whole 30...so I can't comment specifically on BF% going down on diet alone...but it did go down for me, along with hip & waist measurements, and 8lbs of weight. Also, my trainer has a fancy Tanita scale that also takes multiple other stats and provides you with a "Metabolic Age". Prior to starting, I was 42 (I am actually 39 years old, so that kind of pissed me off! lol)...at the end of the 30 days of Whole 30 & exercise, I had dropped to 36!!! And I know that wasn't just the exercise, b/c I've been working my (not so) little butt off for the last several months with far less effect. Anyway...I wouldn't be surprised if you see some change, even with diet alone. Though, I concur with Robert2014...ANY movement is better than no movement. Do what you can, when you can. ;)

Stephanie...you are not alone. I am completely lost at the moment in this sea of new people. I'm sure it will get easier as time goes by, though. Here's "best of luck" to both of us!

Time for my PreWO snack (avocado & HB egg)!

Hi everyone, well it's just after 8pm - Day 1 almost done! Love reading through all your posts.

Breakfast was coffee & muffins (recipe from nom nom paleo) & were delicious

Lunch - Beef Stew with veggies

Tea - sweet potato with chicken curry

How much fruit are you all eating? I love fruit. Do you think I should limit to 1-2 pieces a day or less? 😊

Ok all....Thanks for the recipe ideas! Love how creative you all are.

I have my first challenge tomorrow. Big family day. Greek Orthodox (Old calendar) so it's Nativity. We break the fast with a feast of Prime rub, peas, Caesar salad and twice baked potatoes. Big family tradition older than I am. Trouble is, it's a sit down meal, I don't eat meat, AND I DO NOT want to create a scene by brining in my own food.

I'm Zeroing in on Robert's Disneyland experience and success and any other new ideas you all may have.

Great to hear how you are all fairing!

Hi everyone, well it's just after 8pm - Day 1 almost done! Love reading through all your posts.

Breakfast was coffee & muffins (recipe from nom nom paleo) & were delicious

Lunch - Beef Stew with veggies

Tea - sweet potato with chicken curry

How much fruit are you all eating? I love fruit. Do you think I should limit to 1-2 pieces a day or less?

On the fruit, yes, the Whole30 meal template calls for fruit to be limited to 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist. If you're going to have fruit, have it as part of or immediately after your meal only - not as an in between snack.  And don't let fruit push your protein, veggies or fat off your plate.

Hi everyone! It is day 1 for me too. I'm also a newbie to W30 although I have been Paleo for about 3 months now. I did pretty good through the holidays with only a couple of mishaps (Bread and champagne).  I'm really excited to be taking on this W30 challenge.  My goals are to get healthier and fitter in the new year.  

Exercise will be my biggest hurdle… it's been months since i've stepped a foot in the gym.  I know that I must make it a priority and will be taking small steps towards getting fit.  Yesterday was the first step, hiked 1.5 miles (3 miles roundtrip) up a local mountain. About a 950 elevation change. 

Having a wonderful support group will make this much more enjoyable adventure and it will help me be accountable. 

It's the middle of my Day 2 and I am crashing!  Like, falling asleep at work can't wait to go home and get into bed crashing.  I feel like I'm in full detox mode.

Usually this hits me closer to day 3/4, hopefully this means I'll push through this phase faster  B)

Breakfast - fried eggs and sweet potato sauted in Ghee with black tea

Lunch - Delicious Five Spice Pork ribs and spinach salad w/ orange slices and pecans, also apple with almonds because I am starving! 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/23/5-spice-slow-cooker-pork-ribs/

Dinner - will be Greek beef stew with raw veggies 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/02/02/greek-beef-stew/

Not sure why I'm so hungry... I was stuffed after lunch so maybe I need more fat or I need a stash of Tanka bars: http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw

For all you egg haters (and I love eggs) I often eat my lunch/dinner foods for breakfast.  I actually feel more full for longer on those days, it's a great start.  It's also faster, heating up instead of cooking.

I originally started on January 1 but realized the long road trip and the multiple house I would be stopping at were not conducive to the W30 so I restarted today.  So far, I've eaten the following:

Post early morning workout: 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts

B:  Kale w/a little olive oil topped w/over easy eggs, I pork sausage patty (pork from local farm, no sugar in sausage), black coffee

L: Avocado egg salad http://runningpaleo.com/2013/12/02/avocado-egg-salad-and-beginning-another-whole30/ in bibb lettuce wraps, blackberries, 2 T. coconut butter, water

I originally started on January 1 but realized the long road trip and the multiple house I would be stopping at were not conducive to the W30 so I restarted today.  So far, I've eaten the following:

Post early morning workout: 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts

B:  Kale w/a little olive oil topped w/over easy eggs, I pork sausage patty (pork from local farm, no sugar in sausage), black coffee

L: Avocado egg salad http://runningpaleo.com/2013/12/02/avocado-egg-salad-and-beginning-another-whole30/ in bibb lettuce wraps, blackberries, 2 T. coconut butter, water

For your post WO, avoid using a fat source (nuts are considered fats on a Whole30). Instead, use protein and a carby vegetable, as called out in the meal template:http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf .

For your lunch, up the veggies: you want 1-3 cups per meal.  Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

I'm hearing you @veon! Yesterday was my first day, got to 7:30 in the evening & I was thinking I'd gotten all my days cooking done, I could watch a tv show and relax. Fell asleep on the couch :o I never do that! Literally couldn't keep my eyes open!! I crawled into bed & fell asleep immediately and still had to drag myself out of bed this morning!

Can't believe how quick it's set in! Made me and hubby brekkie (veggie omelette, same as yesterday, I'm a bit boring sometimes :)) and had to eat it really slowly cause it was kinda hard to force down! It was delicious, but really sruggled to get through it, so weird, especially if you knew my usual relationship with food, haha. I too am hoping this early crash means we get through this yucky part quickly!

So good to read what's going on with everyone! There are so many of us, I'm having trouble keeping up too, but I've really enjoyed hearing what's happening with you all!

Have a good day, everyone :)

Day 1 survival is in full swing.  

Boiled eggs and sauteed squash and then some more veggies for breakfast.  Black coffee is not going to do it for me, so today I stuck to green tea (which I think is making me twitchy).  Forgot coconut milk in yesterday's drama, but I may need to get on that one this evening, not sure I'm willing to attempt all this detox at once...at least not day 1.

Stir fried turkey and veggies and an avocado for lunch

Lamb chops and asparagus and more squash for dinner

And as a side note: the roommate has declared she's going on the ever popular lemon/cayenne/maple cleanse followed by a two day potato cleanse where she will be eating nothing but potatoes(!?!?!?!?!).  I promised myself I would not attempt to become a food prophet, but COME ON...

DAY 1 is supposed to be "What's the big deal?" day. The BIG DEAL for me was that I ate breakfast at 6:30, and was only just starting to get hungry when lunch came along at 10:30. That's amazing. Usually I'm hungry by 8:30 and miserable for 2 hours. And again, after lunch I was hungry, but not at all miserable when I got home around 4. Usually I'm hungry every 2-3 hours during the day, and lately it had seemed that window shortened even more at night. There were nights the last month or so where I'd eat and then be hungry in an hour!

So, it may not last, but today was pretty great after I got over the fact that there were TWO DIET COKES in the fridge that I had left over the Christmas break! Horror.

So I got a colleague to take them.

I had wanted to post photos because I thought you could here, but now I don't see how to do it. But Breakfast was a casserole that was largely made of eggs and parsnips, with mushrooms, beef, tomatoes, and whatever else I could throw in. It was pretty good, but I'm not thrilled with how SWEET parsnips are, so next time I make it, I would try to spice it up more. Not really good at spices, so i'll be watching the boards trying to learn. I also had some cashews with breakfast and my bulletproof coffee.

Lunch was chicken breast, egg, raw carrots, snow peas, celery, and cucumbers with a salad. I didn't even get to finish eating it all because we have an outrageously short lunch time, so I figured if I was super hungry I could just eat some on my planning period, but planning came and went and I wasn't hungry.

When I got home, I wanted my big ole glass of ice with fizzy diet coke, but I made some hot mint tea, and I came to this conclusion:

There are other pleasures. I need to find them. Drinking outrageous amounts of fizzy aspartame and caramel coloring can't be good for you, but even if it WERE ok, why stick to just this one pleasure? It's a worthy mission to find the OTHER good stuff.

Dinner was chicken and eggs with so many delicious and varied veggies that it just made me happy. I photographed it. It was pretty. :)

I read all y'alls comments throughout the day even though I don't get a chance to respond until evening. I love hearing that y'all are in it with me.

Today felt great. The next few may hurt. I've just resolved myself that between the uber cold temperatures and detoxing from sugar and diet coke that January will just be full of suck. It's for enduring.

Look forward.

Checking in with everyone today.   Yesterday was a busy day for me.   Cleaned out fridge, freezer and pantry.   Went to a farmer's market where I got great protein, fresh eggs and veggies.   Prepped lots of food and made my eating plan for the week with some built in alternatives just in case.   Took my before pics (which just motivated me even more) and took my scale and put in my spare room closet.  Today I have felt good and satisfied all day.  Only difference is I'm working out after work today instead of before. 

Thank you to everyone on this forum for all of the great support.  I'm looking forward to going on this journey with you.  And if you haven't read It Starts With Food, I highly encourage it.   It has made such a great difference from even before today.   It isn't always what you eat, but how you think about it and even where you eat it.  

It's the middle of my Day 2 and I am crashing!  Like, falling asleep at work can't wait to go home and get into bed crashing.  I feel like I'm in full detox mode.

Usually this hits me closer to day 3/4, hopefully this means I'll push through this phase faster  B)

Breakfast - fried eggs and sweet potato sauted in Ghee with black tea

Lunch - Delicious Five Spice Pork ribs and spinach salad w/ orange slices and pecans, also apple with almonds because I am starving! 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/23/5-spice-slow-cooker-pork-ribs/

Dinner - will be Greek beef stew with raw veggies 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/02/02/greek-beef-stew/

Not sure why I'm so hungry... I was stuffed after lunch so maybe I need more fat or I need a stash of Tanka bars: http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw

For all you egg haters (and I love eggs) I often eat my lunch/dinner foods for breakfast.  I actually feel more full for longer on those days, it's a great start.  It's also faster, heating up instead of cooking.

It is possible you were so hungry after lunch because you had 2 servings of fruit. Remember that fruit spikes your blood sugar more than vegetables so try to limit it to 1 serving in 1 or 2 meals a day. Hard to say how big your spinach salad was but perhaps more vegetables would have helped as well. Rather than stash up on bars you could prepare a larger meal 2 and save leftovers to have later if you get hungry in between meals.

When I got home, I wanted my big ole glass of ice with fizzy diet coke, but I made some hot mint tea, and I came to this conclusion:

There are other pleasures. I need to find them. Drinking outrageous amounts of fizzy aspartame and caramel coloring can't be good for you, but even if it WERE ok, why stick to just this one pleasure? It's a worthy mission to find the OTHER good stuff.

This is awesome! This is the kind of thing W30 teaches us and you learned it on day 1!

Archived