January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

I didn't sleep well last night, maybe due to staying up late to watch Downton Abby

Got through the day ok but it is hard eating so many vegetables and I'm working without a gall bladder so can't over do the fats

Day one success on to day 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Bdramsbottom -

My breakfast this morning:

Fired up the skillet and dumped in some olive oil

Tossed in a bunch of spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and carrots

Tossed in left over steak

Tossed in an egg

Dumped the mess on my plate and added a half avocado and 4 blackberries

Coffee and a glass of water

Done in 15 minutes (and put together my lunch while everything was in the skillet)

Lean hard in favor of tons of veggies as opposed to fruit.

Moderator GFChris was kind enough to share these links several days ago:

- The Whole30 program: http://whole30.com/w...-program-rules/

- Meal template : http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

- Shopping list: http://whole9life.co...opping-List.pdf

Keep posting your ideas for us newbies!  Thanks!  Sounds yummy.

Lunch today was a big salad with last night's mexi-spice chicken and avocado.  Had a clementine too.

Dinner: Mexi-chicken (again…), caramelized onions, salsa, and a raw carrot because it was extra-spicy!

Drinking my very favorite seltzer tonight (black cherry) as I start up a turkey bone broth with the Thanksgiving carcass I stashed in the freezer...

Stay warm, friends!

My breakfast this morning was compliant sausage cooked up with onion, sweet potato, and leftover cauliflower rice pilaf (from Well Fed), all tossed together, then an egg thrown in for a little more protein.

Lunch = leftover Bora Bora fireballs, cauli rice, and carrots. 

Dinner = meatza! with bbq sauce, orange bell pepper, and sauteed red onion, plus a salad on the side.

The past 2 nights I've made a cup of herbal tea to drink while cooking (and eating) dinner -- mint last night, and something apricoty tonight. I think I like this, cooking and drinking tea and listening to a podcast. 

Breakfast tomorrow may be the fireballs (I still have some left, even after cutting the recipe in half) and fried eggs. (And veggies. I won't forget the veggies. Scout's honor.)

Good job everyone, getting through Day 1! :D

I'm in...glad to have a group of people going through this who can relate to the experience!

I made a big pot of lamb meatball soup today.  It's so yummy & it will keep me going for a couple of days.  I just bought Well Fed 2 & it looks great...can't wait to try some of the recipes.  I also love the Nom Nom Paleo app.  I made a batch of the "Liar Bars" from that app to keep me going once I get back to work.

It was hard for me to get off of dairy, but making my own homemade almond milk has helped immensely.  It's not that hard to do and it truly tastes so delicious.  Give it a try if you have a Vitamix!  You'll be surprised...Costco almonds are great for the job.  

Well, just keep fighting through, everyone!  I can't wait for my energy level & sleep to improve.   

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts...good luck to all!

Catherine

Great to read the fantastic success on Day 1 for Team J6.  And thanks to the moderators and repeat W30ers for giving us guidance. One common theme appeared to be in the veggie (more) and fruit (less) department.  Just remember, in addition to your protein and fat, 1 -3 cups of veggies need to join the party every meal.

My mom is joining us on this journey.  How great is it for me to be able to scold my mom to eat her veggies!

And a word to the wise -- start banking some sleep.  The next few days are not the time for you to stay up until 3:00 a.m. catching up on 30 episodes of Downton Abbey.

Bring on Day 2.

Checking in!! Today was ok, I did feel hungry at 10am and was more than ready for meal 2 at that point.

Meal 1: {6:45am} 2 prosciutto wrapped frittata's that were made with onion, garlic, red and orange bell peppers, eggs and coconut milk.

Meal 2: {11:30am} red bell pepper stuffed with beef/onion mix and cauli-mash on the side.

Pre-WOD snack: {5:45pm} 1/2 scotch egg

WOD: 6:30-7:30pm

Post-WOD snack: {7:35pm} 1/2 scotch egg

Meal 3: stir-fry made with onion, garlic, yellow and orange bell pepper, mushrooms, chicken, fish sauce and cilantro. I also fried up some cauli-rice with onion, garlic and cilantro. It was the BEST meal of the day!

I only used coconut oil in all my cooking. And the fish sauce was Red Boat and had no additives that go against the plan.

Would love any and all feedback on my day!

~Christine

Day 1 done and in the record books...really. I live in Chicago (or Chiberia as it's now being called) and I'm starting to seriously think Mother Nature has an attitude problem, or at least woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. At a fresh -15, I soldiered on to work with my lunch bag full of Whole 30 goodies and a little pep in my step. We broke records in Chiberia today and I couldn't help thinking I was breaking one myself!

Today's menu:

Breakfast: spinach, mushroom, tomato frittata

Jasmine green tea (lots of it!)

Lunch: spinach meat "muffins", green salad with cider vinegar dressing

Dinner: butternut squash soup and a side of zucchini noodles with walnut pesto

Ready to tackle Day 2!....and Mother Nature if she wakes up crabby again tomorrow.

Congrats loves!!! Day 1 down! We have begun :)

My biggest goal is to cut my dependency on fruit, which means I need to be eating in a timely manner and cut out fruit at dinner. I have a tendency to let too much time go between meals so then i'm ravenous and decide to snack on dried mango while my meal cooks... wrong. I need to get a little more stingy on my eating times and cut out that extra sugar. I also like to use fruit as "desert" that has got to go as well. So far, day 1 is a success.

Breakfast: 3 egg muffins (squash, spinach, chicken sausage, basil & garlic), 1/4 avocado, banana

Lunch: 4oz hamburger patty w/1/4 avocado & hot sauce, 1.5 zucchini, orange

Dinner: Shrimp stirfry (snap peas, waterchestnuts, bell peppers, broccoli, bean sprouts) & pistachios 

1 hour of yoga

About sleep...I'm a champion sleeper when I'm eating flour and sugar, probably because I crash after a full day of activity and a big dinner. Last time I cut those foods out (Phase I of the Ultrametabolism plan), I had the same experience I'm having this morning. I wake up ready for the day after 6 hours of sleep--no turning over and dozing off again. I'm hoping I'll adjust. Anyone else had that experience?

Looks like everyone is having a great start!!

Robert ~ so glad your mother is joining!! Woo hoo ~ cant even imagine telling my mom to eat more veggies LOL

Artic cold here in upstate New York...hard to get out of the house this morning to go to the gym but I did it ~ all bundled up!!

Stay strong everyone!!  Have a great day.

Best

cheryl

Good morning all! First off, I second Robert's suggestion to focus on getting your sleep (& try to get to bed at the same time each night). It really does help set you up for a good program experience. Getting adequate sleep is SO important to your overall health.

With that said, I survived Day 1 (again)...though, a little less enthusiastically than the first time around. The pic below pretty much sums up my day.

3d4ece868ee3f5073de6a84fbfa27378.jpg

Hoping the sugar dragon is a little less vocal today. Sadly, I am stuck working from home at the moment. My car apparently decided it was much too cold to go to work today, and it is staging a rebellion by refusing to start. That means, my 7yr old stays home at well. As you might expect, he's crushed. :rolleyes: In any case, that means that I am not restricted to the perfectly packaged foods that I take with me to the office. I have a little more free reign here at the house (which still has non Whole 30 foods to appease the hubby & mini me)...so I'll have to be extra vigilant.

Starting off my morning with a bowl of homemade chicken vegetable soup (chicken thigh, carrots, celery, avocado & zucchini noodles), an orange & hot cinnamon spiced tea.

Well, I should get back to work. Happy Day 2 everyone!!

Reading through some of the posts on this forum I have to admit to feeling a little overwhelmed! Reading through the plan I was thinking simple...not easy by any stretch...but simple, just follow the rules, eat protein, veggies and good fats = healthy (and tasty with a bit of effort on my part). Difficult to implement but not too complicated!

I was just reading one post which talked about coconut aminos?! What the heck are they and what do you do with them? I really hope my simple approach at the beginning is enough :/ I figure I'll just keep it simple and get fancier as I go!!

For those of you who have done it before, is it much more complicated than I'm expecting?

Hi T2000,

coconut aminos is a substitute for soy sauce(it really tastes the same!) made from coconut palm. you can order it from Amazon. 

the key for me has been keep it simple: dont go overboard on multi-step recipes when sprinkling some some seasoning on a dish will work.

the hardest part IMHO, is in your MIND! you will want to give yourself permission to stop, cheat, etc. Dont do it! Come here for sympathy and support....

I will be starting today, Jan 7, so here we go!

By the way, I have done this a few times, with varying degrees of  success. The last time I started, Oct. 1, I went for almost 3 months with the AIP version. I had a 2 week vacation where I didnt cook and ate some chocolate. I am sure crappy oils and who-knows-what was in the food I ate at restaurants. Overall, I made good choices though.

It is time to reset my AIP, and then introduce things slowly. I have been using seed spices with no bad effects, so I am leaving that in. I have had some egg yolks, and that seems ok too. Dairy congests me, and I have mostly avoided it for more than 20 years, so no biggie.

About me: I'm a 50 yo female, married, kids, part-time graduate student. Family is not paleo, but I am the cook. Went from mostly vegetarian to Atkins low-carb, then tried Zone, then found Paleo over the last 10 years or so. Most things off limits no longer temp me, and so having bread and brownies around is no big deal (lucky for me!) My problem is dried fruit - that is something I must give up. I eat too much and feed the ol' sugar demon. Off to order coconut aminos and coconut milk!

Day 1 down!  Ready for Day 2!

Day 1 was a complete success.  Felt motivated throughout the day by reading the posts on this forum and skimming through a few more chapters in the book.  Bought some gorgeous vegetables at the store and planned out some meals throughout the week.  Now as for this morning, I can defeintely feel an energy lull to start the day.  My assumption is this is the dreaded Day 2 hangover accompanied by staying up a little later than planned to watch the National Championship.  Reading through the Whole30 Daily email while eating breakfast though is a great way to help reinforce my dedication.

Good luck to everyone today.

Happy Day Two, y'all! Yesterday was a great success. It was the first day EVER that I ate 100% clean. I feel great! Pretty sluggish, though. It was all I could do to get my butt out of bed this morning! Slept like a champ, though.

Skipped Spinning last night for a couple of reasons: I was concerned about the lack of energy and I wasn't prepared to brave the sub-10 degree weather we are having in Atlanta! Seriously ... I can just imagine me, wet with sweat from Spinning, running through the parking lot when it's 0 degrees. <_< I'm looking forward to getting back after I get through this initial sluggishness!

One thing that I'm having a big problem with ... I just can't stomach the veggies in the morning. I made a frittata with spinach, onions, and ground beef, and I had to choke the thing down yesterday morning. I just CANNOT do roughage in the morning. This morning, I scrambled 3 eggs with coconut milk and used a little ghee in the pan. I ate the eggs with a few cucumber slices. My question would be: how detrimental would it be for me to not eat the full cup of veggies in the morning? I've got the protein and fat totally down, and I'm foregoing fruit in the morning, but I'm really struggling with getting in the veggies.

Here's to another clean day - cheers, y'all! :)

Archived